Like Tree9581Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Sorry if I come across as bitching, but this stuff is just a joke.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Sorry if I come across as bitching, but this stuff is just a joke.
    Anyone who hasn't gotten in yet is right there with you buddy. I guess its usually not a huge issue when about 6% of the class usually drops with the possibility of recycling instead of 25% (this class).
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Anyone who hasn't gotten in yet is right there with you buddy. I guess its usually not a huge issue when about 6% of the class usually drops with the possibility of recycling instead of 25% (this class).
    Thanks - I'm losing my **** over here. TGIF.

Forum Member

Dudes really failing the academic portion? I thought it was'nt rocket science. Or are they just not studying? I swear as soon as my investigator says im good im gonna study that book material they gave us; day and night.

Forum Member

This expletive deletive seems like a never ending revolving door of kicks to the groin. C'mon now no way they can take 70 drops and potentially place all 70 back into the next class ahead of guys Dieing to chomp at the bit. Not to start a expletive deletive storm on the forum but any word on OC probies dropping yet just for arguments sake
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

It was the Vulcan's who said you don't need to be smart to be a firefighter, as you can tell they were lying. From friends and family who have gone through, every single one of them tells me that the amount of academic work and knowledge was the biggest surprise and one of the hardest parts of the academy. Add in the fact that your exhausted when you getting home and have to get ready for the next day, staying one top of the books takes dedication. Don't take anything lightly.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    It was the Vulcan's who said you don't need to be smart to be a firefighter, as you can tell they were lying. From friends and family who have gone through, every single one of them tells me that the amount of academic work and knowledge was the biggest surprise and one of the hardest parts of the academy. Add in the fact that your exhausted when you getting home and have to get ready for the next day, staying one top of the books takes dedication. Don't take anything lightly.
    I don't doubt that one bit.

Forum Member

Just got my EKG for my medical clearance For resting HR of 52 guess I'm taking the medical twice lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Just got my EKG for my medical clearance For resting HR of 52 guess I'm taking the medical twice lol
    Damn, you must be one laid back *&^&^%^&%$! Drink a coffee and get stressed out like the rest of us!
    FuDsNmYc likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    FST? (need extra letters to sumbit this reply; blah blah blah)
    What the guys at the rock called "CPAT on steroids".

Directed mostly at MM (or anyone else fresh out of the academy); I know it may be early for candidates like us to be worrying about FST but since it's inevitable that we'll get our shot at it, what would you say would be the best type of training to conquer FST? And what did you find most difficult? If I'm getting too ahead of myself, let me know lol.

Forum Member

I drink a large iced black coffee w a turbo shot from Dunkin everyday hahaha
    vekdoggs75 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    What the guys at the rock called "CPAT on steroids".

Directed mostly at MM (or anyone else fresh out of the academy); I know it may be early for candidates like us to be worrying about FST but since it's inevitable that we'll get our shot at it, what would you say would be the best type of training to conquer FST? And what did you find most difficult? If I'm getting too ahead of myself, let me know lol.
    High intensity interval training, stairs, crossfit style WODs where you do a mix of things.

FST requires you to be in great shape to get through it at all. You get better at it each week by improving air management (it's done on air) and your technique on the various obstacles.

Forum Member

If the number of people who have resigned, dropped or whatever the correct term is, that should create quite a dent in the number of open positions in the upcoming class. It's hard to believe, I suppose, but after everything that's happened in the last several years, it's not surprising. Especially when one considers that it was determined that reading skills are not necessary for a firefighter.

Becoming a firefighter has always been difficult. Making it through the training is difficult. As much as people try to make it out to be like any 9-5 job, it's not. And it's never going to be.

I get the feeling people think that once you've passed the hiring process, you've reached smooth sailing. Well, as far as I'm concerned, that's the the easiest part. Your reward for passing is something along the lines of early mornings, lots of challenging physical work, coupled with challenging academic requirements with instructors demanding your very best, all while challenging your mental endurance. THEN, it you pass all of that, you get assigned to a firehouse, where you now get to do all the jobs everyone loves! Things like doing dishes, cleaning toilets and sinks, making beds, sweeping, mopping, cleaning tools and whatever other wonderful chores exist, while you still need to continue to learn your job as a firefighter.

This whole situation is unfortunate. For the most part, I think it does little for me and for anyone to worry about what's going on at the academy. Nothing is going to change the fact that people can resign and recycle. The best thing to do, to me, is to get ready. Get ready physically. Get ready mentally. For 18 weeks, life is going to be on hold and the only thing we are all going to be concerned with is that place - The rock, the academy, whatever you want to call it. And the more ready you are, the easier the days will go. At the end, the first day you walk in that firehouse door - the first time you get to those dishes - all of this, all of waiting, all of the disappointment - will have been worth it.

Do the little things today - eat right, sleep right, train daily, get your body ready. Start reading today. Anything - just to get used to the fact that you'll be reading a lot daily. Whatever you think you need to do - do it. As my Father says, you don't want to be there wishing you would have done this or that - you want to know that you did everything within your power to be ready and now it's just time to perform.

Keep pushing forward. The time is coming. Continued success to all.
    Last edited by Minerva; 09-27-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    vekdoggs75 and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Just got this letter in my email:

FDNY Hispanic Society Meeting is this Monday the 30th at 7:30PM; The meeting will be held at 47-09 30th Street 3rd Floor, Long Island City, NY 11101. Lots of parking, and Excellent Food. At this meeting we will discuss:

* The Dinner Dance, October 11th
    * The Parade and after Party, October 13th
    * The Raffle, October 13th
    * FDNY Recruitment and Diversity Unit
    * Incoming Candidates
    * Open floor discussion
    Please pass the info and see you there.

I wonder if I should go. I've passed everything so far and am just waiting on a run letter in January.

Still don't know if I wanna go though, since i'm not even a firefighter yet lol!
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

If you aren't hyperventilating by the end of FST, you aren't working hard enough.

There's no single exercise you can do at home to improve FST. It works every muscle in your body including heart and lungs, just like you may have to do at a fire. FST just takes it to an extreme.

What will help you on FST, is mastering putting on your face piece on the SCBA maneuvers. Some guys get jammed up getting the mask back on their back after the tunnel and it costs them a lot of time. The initial masking up will also save you time.

What list number are they up to for open competitive investigation packets?

Forum Member

Default Legacy Credits

Via The New York City Brotherhood Foundation:

I just received word that the Governor has signed the bill to provide legacy credits to our 9/11 Responder kids. This was a tremendous effort to right a bill that was wrong as it was originally written. It allows our 9/11 Responder kids to be on the same footing as others whose FDNY parents died in the line of duty. A huge thanks to Senators Ball and Golden, John Feal, Rich Alles, and the UFA for helping us to move this bill forward to a law. There was an amazing team of firefighters, 9/11 Responder kids, and others who worked tirelessly and kept in touch on a daily basis - this is what the job is all about. To everyone who stepped up, I thank you. This means so much!! Now on to the hard work of making sure DCAS and the City gets these kids in the January class!!! You have made your dads proud guys!!!!
    ffbam24 and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

What exactly does this change? The wording isn't very clear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    This is very true..for everyone who hasn't done anything but gotten something in the mail demanding to know what is so hard about studying every night..just wait.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    What exactly does this change? The wording isn't very clear.
    There was a whole big controversy over this and how the kids weren't getting legacy points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    Just got this letter in my email:

FDNY Hispanic Society Meeting is this Monday the 30th at 7:30PM; The meeting will be held at 47-09 30th Street 3rd Floor, Long Island City, NY 11101. Lots of parking, and Excellent Food. At this meeting we will discuss:

* The Dinner Dance, October 11th
    * The Parade and after Party, October 13th
    * The Raffle, October 13th
    * FDNY Recruitment and Diversity Unit
    * Incoming Candidates
    * Open floor discussion
    Please pass the info and see you there.

I wonder if I should go. I've passed everything so far and am just waiting on a run letter in January.

Still don't know if I wanna go though, since i'm not even a firefighter yet lol!
    Why does the department have so many race oriented groups? They got a hispanic group, a black group, an irish group etc. When i went for my Cpat orientation, they had the vulcans and some other irish group trying to get THEIR guys to sign on. Im black but i dont plan on joining the vulcans because i dont believe in a special organization for "black firefighters"; i believe only in the brotherhood of the FDNY, Period. Everyone talks about the vulcans, but how is their organization different from any of the other racially oriented groups that are obviously looking out for "their own". Besides the fact that the vulcans b*tch more (or do they?), i dont see any difference. Nor do i see any justification. I just see division. Someone please correct me if im wrong here.
    River6019 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

I understand that this country has a history that is responsible for the creation of such groups. Blacks, Irish, Hispanics, Jews etc all have out historical grievances which prompted the creation of such groups in the first place. But its 2013 now. Lots.of things have changed. There is equal opportunity and a black president of the U.S for gods sake. And after 9/11, where firemen of all colors made the same sacrifice together, i would think that the FDNY in particular would have come to the realization that all of its members are actually the same color and that there is therefore only ONE tradition; ONE cause, which all its members share. Again correct me if im wrong but i dont like the idea of irish groups for irish fireman, hispanic groups for hispanic firemen and i damn sure didnt like the scene at the Vulcans test preparation sessions, wherein all white candidates were barred from entry and made to stand outside. I hope im not the only one that see's a problem with these issues.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    There was a whole big controversy over this and how the kids weren't getting legacy points.
    The kids of who though? The NOE for 2000 gave legacy credits to the kids of cops/FFs that died in the line of duty and to the siblings of cops/FFs that died in the line of duty on 9/11. What does this add/change?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    The kids of who though? The NOE for 2000 gave legacy credits to the kids of cops/FFs that died in the line of duty and to the siblings of cops/FFs that died in the line of duty on 9/11. What does this add/change?
    Legacy was granted to those who lost family from 9/11 illnesses.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Legacy was granted to those who lost family from 9/11 illnesses.
    Ohhh, okay. Good to hear, that's well deserved.

Forum Member

I have a W2 for the two years requested.

However, a W2 does not list the dates one worked. One W2 I really only worked a month that year and the 2nd I worked about 6 months.

Can I still use these? I assume you have to list the dates you worked so they would see that it was only about 7 months between the two years.

What do you guys think?

Thread Information