Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 582 of 1209 FirstFirst ... 824825325725795805815825835845855926326821082 ... LastLast
Results 11,621 to 11,640 of 24174
Like Tree9405Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #11621
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    Yes you are right. They have to stick to the court order. I think that's why even tho they have about 85 black candidates and they can hire 128 they can't fill the rest of the Latinos candidates in the July class. I hope I explain that right.
    The Ph list end January so some of the Latinos left might not be place in a class after that.
    Sorry to be a pain, but can you go into detail and explain this a little more?


  2. #11622
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Sorry to be a pain, but can you go into detail and explain this a little more?
    Not a pain at all i hope I explain it better this time around....

    As per court order 186 black candidates and 107 Latinos candidates are to be hire for a total of 293.

    For this July class they are only ALLOWED to hire 128 black candidates and 64 Latino candidates. That will give them their 2:5 for blacks and 1:5 for Latinos ratio. They are not allowed to add more Latinos just because they do not have a total of 128 black candidates.

    186-128=58 black candidates left
    107-64=43 Latinos candidates left

    Now the ph lists have 282 candidates ABOUT 85 are black candidates and the rest are Latinos candidates. So for this july class they would have place all black candidates in this July class with only Latinos left over.

    So if you do the math
    282-85= 197
    85 black candidates and 197 Latinos candidates. For a total of 282.
    They can only hire 107 Latinos. If they continue to hire with the ratio of 1:5 for Latinos that will be 64 Latinos per class.

    The ph list end in January so that will give the Ph two class. Hiring Latinos at the 1:5 ratio will be 64 for July and 64 for January.
    64+64= 128
    197-128=69
    So there will be 69 Latino candidates that may not be going in.
    But dealing with the city you never know.

    Ps. Every one still have to pass the run. At the meeting it was stated that a letter will go out to more than the number allowed in the event that some one don't pass the run. But in the event that 64 pass the run the others will be place in the January class.
    Last edited by Fdnyman; 06-23-2013 at 08:15 PM.

  3. #11623
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    Not a pain at all i hope I explain it better this time around....

    As per court order 186 black candidates and 107 Latinos candidates are to be hire for a total of 293.

    For this July class they are only ALLOWED to hire 128 black candidates and 64 Latino candidates. That will give them their 2:5 for blacks and 1:5 for Latinos ratio. They are not allowed to add more Latinos just because they do not have a total of 128 black candidates.

    186-128=58 black candidates left
    107-64=43 Latinos candidates left

    Now the ph lists have 282 candidates ABOUT 85 are black candidates and the rest are Latinos candidates. So for this july class they would have place all black candidates in this July class with only Latinos left over.

    So if you do the math
    282-85= 197
    85 black candidates and 197 Latinos candidates. For a total of 282.
    They can only hire 107 Latinos. If they continue to hire with the ratio of 1:5 for Latinos that will be 64 Latinos per class.

    The ph list end in January so that will give the Ph two class. Hiring Latinos at the 1:5 ratio will be 64 for July and 64 for January.
    64+64= 128
    197-128=69
    So there will be 69 Latino candidates that may not be going in.
    But dealing with the city you never know.

    Ps. Every one still have to pass the run. At the meeting it was stated that a letter will go out to more than the number allowed in the event that some one don't pass the run. But in the event that 64 pass the run the others will be place in the January class.
    Damn, great breakdown. So, this list is actually the real thing. I am still wondering why they will post the list now and not wait until after the run is over. In any event, I am happy because my name is on the list.

  4. #11624
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    FDNYman, that's a good breakdown but there's only 1 point I would question. You state they can only hire 107 Latinos per the court order... but then you are saying they are going to hire 64 in July and 64 in January. Shouldn't it be 64 in July and only 43 in January to fill the 107 Latino "quota"?

    So really, if they are using all the black candidates up in July, and use 64 of the 107 in July, there should only be a max of 43 PHs (all Latino) in January's class... I think, hah.

  5. #11625
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    FDNYman, that's a good breakdown but there's only 1 point I would question. You state they can only hire 107 Latinos per the court order... but then you are saying they are going to hire 64 in July and 64 in January. Shouldn't it be 64 in July and only 43 in January to fill the 107 Latino "quota"?

    So really, if they are using all the black candidates up in July, and use 64 of the 107 in July, there should only be a max of 43 PHs (all Latino) in January's class... I think, hah.
    You are right and wrong.
    The court order stated that The City shall continue to hire at this 1:5 ratio until it has hired one hundred seven (107) Hispanic Claimants from the approved list of priority hire claimants or until the group of Hispanic Claimants on the approved list has been exhausted

    Now with that being said
    There are about 197 Latino candidates and they have July class and January class to hire these candidates. They can hire at the 1:5 ratio for both classes making it 64 for july and 64 for january, because it stated 107 or has been exhausted.

    Even tho it stated until list has been exhausted they only have two class to make that happen. Its no way they can place 197 Latinos in at 64 per class with only two classes to work with. So about 69 may not be going in.

    But please keep in mind that if a lot of people fail the run the Oc list will start. That is why some people from the Oc list has been process.

  6. #11626
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Damn, great breakdown. So, this list is actually the real thing. I am still wondering why they will post the list now and not wait until after the run is over. In any event, I am happy because my name is on the list.
    I'm sure it's because DCAS has the legal obligation to establish a hiring list. Those on the list, yourself included, have met the court ordered requirements. I'm sure Civil Service law outlines that this must be published and public. Since they use the O/C and Promo lists to call for the 1.5 mile run, I'm sure they need the PH list for the same reason. Regardless of passage or failure. For the O/C candidates, failure will result in someone being forced to retake the medical and try again in a future class. As was said yesterday at Metrotech, PH candidates may not be able to recycle, but no one was certain.

  7. #11627
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I'm sure it's because DCAS has the legal obligation to establish a hiring list. Those on the list, yourself included, have met the court ordered requirements. I'm sure Civil Service law outlines that this must be published and public. Since they use the O/C and Promo lists to call for the 1.5 mile run, I'm sure they need the PH list for the same reason. Regardless of passage or failure. For the O/C candidates, failure will result in someone being forced to retake the medical and try again in a future class. As was said yesterday at Metrotech, PH candidates may not be able to recycle, but no one was certain.
    Ph will not be recycle. They can defer from the July class to January class only for medical reason. If they fail the 1.5 run that's it, its over for them no more chances.
    Last edited by Fdnyman; 06-23-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

  8. #11628
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by almostthere View Post
    Damn, great breakdown. So, this list is actually the real thing. I am still wondering why they will post the list now and not wait until after the run is over. In any event, I am happy because my name is on the list.
    Thanks man. Yes its the real thing. I'm happy as well.

  9. #11629
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    65

    Default

    Fdnyman....can u take a shot at predicting what numbers they might hit on the OC list for January. You seem to grasp this info better than anybody, thanks for sharing.
    coldblood92 likes this.

  10. #11630
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Just wonderin, is it just the run when you get the letter? Then when you come back for the 1st day of the academy, you do sit-ups, pull-ups, push-ups, and the run to see if you need remedial?
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 06-24-2013 at 05:28 AM.

  11. #11631
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    You are right and wrong.
    The court order stated that The City shall continue to hire at this 1:5 ratio until it has hired one hundred seven (107) Hispanic Claimants from the approved list of priority hire claimants or until the group of Hispanic Claimants on the approved list has been exhausted

    Now with that being said
    There are about 197 Latino candidates and they have July class and January class to hire these candidates. They can hire at the 1:5 ratio for both classes making it 64 for july and 64 for january, because it stated 107 or has been exhausted.

    Even tho it stated until list has been exhausted they only have two class to make that happen. Its no way they can place 197 Latinos in at 64 per class with only two classes to work with. So about 69 may not be going in.

    But please keep in mind that if a lot of people fail the run the Oc list will start. That is why some people from the Oc list has been process.
    Hmmm. You would know more about this than I would but I interpreted the ruling as this: We will hire Latinos on a 1:5 ratio until we hit 107, or until the Latino claimants have been exhausted (if there are less than 107). I didn't think the "or" qualifier gave them the right to go over the maximum, it just gave justification for them not filling all 107 spots if there was a lack of candidates.

    But like I said, you're probably much more familiar with this than I am so thank you for the info.
    NycQ83 likes this.

  12. #11632
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Here and there
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    Not a pain at all i hope I explain it better this time around....

    As per court order 186 black candidates and 107 Latinos candidates are to be hire for a total of 293.

    For this July class they are only ALLOWED to hire 128 black candidates and 64 Latino candidates. That will give them their 2:5 for blacks and 1:5 for Latinos ratio. They are not allowed to add more Latinos just because they do not have a total of 128 black candidates.

    186-128=58 black candidates left
    107-64=43 Latinos candidates left

    Now the ph lists have 282 candidates ABOUT 85 are black candidates and the rest are Latinos candidates. So for this july class they would have place all black candidates in this July class with only Latinos left over.

    So if you do the math
    282-85= 197
    85 black candidates and 197 Latinos candidates. For a total of 282.
    They can only hire 107 Latinos. If they continue to hire with the ratio of 1:5 for Latinos that will be 64 Latinos per class.

    The ph list end in January so that will give the Ph two class. Hiring Latinos at the 1:5 ratio will be 64 for July and 64 for January.
    64+64= 128
    197-128=69
    So there will be 69 Latino candidates that may not be going in.
    But dealing with the city you never know.

    Ps. Every one still have to pass the run. At the meeting it was stated that a letter will go out to more than the number allowed in the event that some one don't pass the run. But in the event that 64 pass the run the others will be place in the January class.
    Jesus, just give everyone a 5 digit number, don't even ask about ethnicity, you study work out and keep a clean slate score high you should get hired, if you see an ad on a the side of the bus and think you want a pension and good schedule and you think all you do is sit around all day sleep or work out and you score a 72, there's the door thanks for trying
    chadxmerch likes this.

  13. #11633
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Hmmm. You would know more about this than I would but I interpreted the ruling as this: We will hire Latinos on a 1:5 ratio until we hit 107, or until the Latino claimants have been exhausted (if there are less than 107). I didn't think the "or" qualifier gave them the right to go over the maximum, it just gave justification for them not filling all 107 spots if there was a lack of candidates.

    But like I said, you're probably much more familiar with this than I am so thank you for the info.
    yea i agree, Im pretty sure a couple of guys explained it in a way that 107 is the most they can hire, but if there are less, then they will just hire what they have and won't go out looking for more guys to get to that 107 mark.

    But, like you said, who knows we could be wrong. I hope not.

  14. #11634
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    18

    Default

    From what I understood the PH test was given in January 2013. Why is this saying that the list is being established from a test given 3/17-4/22/2012?

  15. #11635
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Hmmm. You would know more about this than I would but I interpreted the ruling as this: We will hire Latinos on a 1:5 ratio until we hit 107, or until the Latino claimants have been exhausted (if there are less than 107). I didn't think the "or" qualifier gave them the right to go over the maximum, it just gave justification for them not filling all 107 spots if there was a lack of candidates.

    But like I said, you're probably much more familiar with this than I am so thank you for the info.
    The court order also stated In the event that there are more than 186 black and 107 Hispanic individuals eligible for priority hiring relief, the City may determine the order in which it processes eligible claimants to determine whether they are currently qualified to be appointed as entry-level firefighters.

    Now with that being said the life of the ph list ends in January. They are not going to go pass that January class. So as long as the list have eligible candidates. They can still hire using the 1:5 ratio. The city will hire more than the 107 but will do so using the 1:5 ratio. I do not believe that they will hire more than 1:5 ratio. So two class at 1:5 will be 64 Latino candidates per class with about 69 Latino candidates left providing that every one pass the run.

    But again please keep in mind that the 1:5 run can really turn things around. From what I was told Ph don't get a sceond chance at the run like the Oc candidates do.
    Last edited by Fdnyman; 06-24-2013 at 09:30 AM.

  16. #11636
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire ant View Post
    From what I understood the PH test was given in January 2013. Why is this saying that the list is being established from a test given 3/17-4/22/2012?
    I know Ph took the test at a diffrent time but its still the same exam. Some people on military deployment take make up test all the time but still place on the same list.

  17. #11637
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    295

    Default

    With the news of the wait to get on to the FDNY getting pushed back in addition to this heat, it has my already low desire to run even lower and I'm basically forcing myself to do it. Stay hydrated.

  18. #11638
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    no threats of closing firehouses, can't remember the last time this happened.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1102233


    Any guys OTJ know who the union is endorsing? Is it still too early for that?

  19. #11639
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    no threats of closing firehouses, can't remember the last time this happened.

    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1102233


    Any guys OTJ know who the union is endorsing? Is it still too early for that?
    Hope it isn't De Blasio or Quinn

  20. #11640
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Hope it isn't De Blasio or Quinn
    I don't like any of them but at least Liu has been going after Bloomberg a bit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 34 users browsing this thread. (10 members and 24 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. CleverJ,
  3. DedicatedAmbition,
  4. DSNY2FDNY,
  5. frankp88,
  6. joro89,
  7. k20dc2,
  8. Matador611,
  9. SI91,
  10. Smoove

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts