Like Tree10645Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I used to have one, but that thing went MIA so it would prob be beneficial to get one myself. Do all of these come w/ that ridiculously annoying band around your chest?
    The one's I been looking at all come with a band to strap around your chest and I will get a watch that comes with that because (correct me if I am wrong) in the medical they track your heart rate using a band strapped around your chest, right?

Also, some of these watches have a cool feature called the "target zone alarm" where I can set it to beep after I go over 90% of my resting heart rate on the stairs.

Forum Member

Where's Jukez? Did he just disappear or did i miss something?
    vekdoggs75 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

For the medical, is there any particular way to dress? I know I don't have to be particularly formal considering it is not an interview. Should I wear a polo and slacks with my athletic clothes under them or just wear sweatpants and long sleeves?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    The one's I been looking at all come with a band to strap around your chest and I will get a watch that comes with that because (correct me if I am wrong) in the medical they track your heart rate using a band strapped around your chest, right?

Also, some of these watches have a cool feature called the "target zone alarm" where I can set it to beep after I go over 90% of my resting heart rate on the stairs.
    Those were the ones that I remember them using. Don't mind weaing it when you have a t-shirt on, but it gets a bit annoying when you're rocking cold gear in a couple of months.

That is a cool feature. Keeps ya from looking at your wrist every minute (as I know I would).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Those were the ones that I remember them using. Don't mind weaing it when you have a t-shirt on, but it gets a bit annoying when you're rocking cold gear in a couple of months.

That is a cool feature. Keeps ya from looking at your wrist every minute (as I know I would).
    Yeah I see how it could get annoying but I wouldn't mind if I had to strap it around my head and I had to walk up and down the stairs in the gym lol as long as I got my accurate heart rate.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I have a used monitor, the one with a watch and the the strap for the chest. Works excellent, I don't need it anymore. So, if anyone wants to buy it, let me know. I'll give you a future candidate discount. Let me come up with a price, pm me if interested.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Yeah I see how it could get annoying but I wouldn't mind if I had to strap it around my head and I had to walk up and down the stairs in the gym lol as long as I got my accurate heart rate.
    LOL Very true

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    For the medical, is there any particular way to dress? I know I don't have to be particularly formal considering it is not an interview. Should I wear a polo and slacks with my athletic clothes under them or just wear sweatpants and long sleeves?

I was wondering the same thing. Also is there anything we need to bring other than the disclosure form and any surgery reports?

Forum Member

Im not trying to be funny but dont they tell you exactly what to wear/bring when they send you the notices? And all the fuss about monitoring your own heart rate? I dont get that either. Why not just plan and train for doing 8 minutes? That way if u fail the heart rate, u can just bust out another 3 minutes. Seeing that most people fail the HR anyway, why not just focus on doing 8 minutes? Instead of buying heart monitors and going nuts, just buy a 50lb-80lb vest and hit the stairs 2-3 times a week. Just my opinion anyway.

Forum Member

Just wear your gym clothes to the medical and cpat. All other appointments are shirt and tie.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing. Also is there anything we need to bring other than the disclosure form and any surgery reports?
    Surgery reports? The only things it tells us to bring other than the disclosure form are our proof of immunity forms and a doctor's note fore a TB test or for prescribed medication. I figured they will have access to our medical history, and since you must be disclosing any surgery in the disclosure form you shouldn't need to bring a surgery report.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Im not trying to be funny but dont they tell you exactly what to wear/bring when they send you the notices? And all the fuss about monitoring your own heart rate? I dont get that either. Why not just plan and train for doing 8 minutes? That way if u fail the heart rate, u can just bust out another 3 minutes. Seeing that most people fail the HR anyway, why not just focus on doing 8 minutes? Instead of buying heart monitors and going nuts, just buy a 50lb-80lb vest and hit the stairs 2-3 times a week. Just my opinion anyway.
    Yes, it tells use to report wearing sneakers and appropriate gym/fitness gear, and I understand that. I was just asking because I hear that the FDNY is very particular about certain things (such as being an hour early and whatnot). So I just wanted to clarify to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or unprofessionally. And I definitely don't want to be the guy who stands out for being the only one not dressed properly. I'm just a bit na´ve and nervous about the process. lol

Forum Member

For the medical, I wore sweats, and shorts underneath in case it got to warm. I think that's what they tell you to wear, no shirts with writing on it, or very little writing.
    As far as the monitor is concerned, it's not just for the stair master, it's for running which you will be doing a lot of in the academy. You find your HR that's the perfect zone, and you stay in that zone to get the most out of your training. Then you bring up the HR, and bring it down for intervals. It helped me a ton to have the monitor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    For the medical, I wore sweats, and shorts underneath in case it got to warm. I think that's what they tell you to wear, no shirts with writing on it, or very little writing.
    As far as the monitor is concerned, it's not just for the stair master, it's for running which you will be doing a lot of in the academy. You find your HR that's the perfect zone, and you stay in that zone to get the most out of your training. Then you bring up the HR, and bring it down for intervals. It helped me a ton to have the monitor.
    I get you. I'm just a good old veteran. In the army, we never bothered with the monitors and pacer crap. That kinda stuff was for the civies (civilians). We just ran...and ran...and ran. If your heart was pounding, back was hurting, stomach cramping... nobody cared, as long as you were'nt bleeding lol? And you never knew how long the run was gonna be. Most platoon leaders never told us. You just kept running 3,4,5,6 or even 7 miles. Up and down hills until the goddamn NCO got tired. Many times, we would be up drinking until 3am, thinking that the next morning was only gonna be resistance training, only to be surprised by some CO trying to impress the Battalion Commander by taking the whole company on a "pop quiz style" 6 mile run.

P.S: For some reason, the run was always easier when we were hung over. Haha. Only 2 hours rest between partying and P.T.....the good ol days.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

lol..."heart monitor"

Forum Member

Us civilians needed all the help we can get. I don't need it now, the academy is in charge of distance and endurance now. LOL

Forum Member

I missed my first cpat session at the rock last week, can anybody tell me where I'm supposed to go when I get there tonight?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bstar28 View Post
    I missed my first cpat session at the rock last week, can anybody tell me where I'm supposed to go when I get there tonight?
    Park in the lot outside the front gate, walk up to the gate and ask for help from the guys there. They'll give you directions. Also very likely that other candidates will be showing up at the same time so just follow them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bstar28 View Post
    Head into where you went for the orientation back in mid september (auditorium area)
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Forum Member

Thanks for the help

Forum Member

Got my letter for the psych today. October 11th.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys, had my intake interview earlier today. I Was curious if anyone knew what was needed to satisfy the six month work requisite as far as paper work goes.

Forum Member

Paystubs, SS printout I think could be used for work proof. Paystubs would be ideal.....

Forum Member

Hey guys had my intake interview and im wondering if my investigator messed up.

He said i need to prove im a current "resident from the list above" reflecting activity within the past 60 days. I havent heard of anyone needing this at the time of there interview. I had my two recent pay stubs with me.
    (need 3 documents and the list was the list from NOE)

I thought you only needed to prove residency from 2010 to 2011 and at time of hire
    Last edited by coldblood92; 10-03-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Forum Member

Hey guys, just got my letter for my medical on the 15th, Ive been running and using the stairmaster but im still nervous about the stairmaster. Im obviously not looking for anything to prepare now bc I have been in shape just wondering if anyone has any tips for the next two weeks that I could use to possibly just push myself a little further and overprepare somewhat.

Forum Member

Got my letter for the psych today. October 11th.
    What's your list # range?

Thread Information