Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #14676
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    my investigator was a ****ing bleep. Texting during our meeting, and generally...let me stop there. I dont have the 3 things for residency(had bank statements and W2s) so i had notarized letter and he was like i dunno if this is good... another investigator told someone else that was fine. I had something else from my college. Just give me someone that at least pretends to care
    As far as the 3 proofs of RECENT activity, i dont pay utilities (their included in the rent) and my cell phone is in my brothers name. I DO have cable and so i mentioned to her that most cable companies issue cable, internet and telephone in one bundle and asked if this would constitute as 3 proofs. She said that it will only count as one proof. This does'nt make sense becuz the NOE clearly designates telephone and cable as separate proofs. So the idiot stuck in the 1990's who actually has 3 separate companies providing these basic services is good, but the poor bastard with the Timewarner bundle package gets screwed??? Like i said, borderline stupid.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 10-06-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  2. #14677
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    As far as the 3 proofs of RECENT activity, i dont pay utilities (their included in the rent) and my cell phone is in my brothers name. I DO have cable and so i mentioned to her that most cable companies issue cable, internet and telephone in one bundle and asked if this would constitute as 3 proofs. She said that it will only count as one proof. This does'nt make sense becuz the NOE clearly designates telephone and cable as separate proofs. So the idiot stuck in the 1990's who actually has 3 separate companies providing these basic services is good, but the poor bastard with the Timewarner bundle package gets screwed??? Like i said, borderline stupid.
    Stop complaining. Making the argument that bundled services should be counted 2-3 times instead of just once because it's all TWC is being willfully obtuse. You had alternative proofs of residency, and they took them, what's the problem?

  3. #14678
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I remember when I was going through the process, it felt like I was going to Metro tech every week to drop off stuff. Who cares, needs to be done, do it! My investigator told me to fax it, hell no, I'm going there and dropping stuff personally. I haven't reached the end of this academy ride, but I hear that it's all worth it in the end. So don't complain about your investigator, don't complain about paperwork, etc., this is how they weed people out.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 10-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.

  4. #14679
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Stop complaining. Making the argument that bundled services should be counted 2-3 times instead of just once because it's all TWC is being willfully obtuse. You had alternative proofs of residency, and they took them, what's the problem?

    There was no problem for me, like you said, i actually (and luckily) had alternative proofs. The problem is for the guys who DONT have such alternatives, like car insurance (cuz they may not have driven in 2010/11) or a debt notice from the Department of Defense (cuz they never received an Army bonus). I know one thing, there are plenty of guys who have lived in nyc their whole lives, but becuz of individual circumstances, they lack the necessary documentation that would be acceptable to the department. An example would be a guy who was unemployed from 2010-2011 and who resided with a friend during that time. He may be able to get his friend to write a notified letter of support, but thats only ONE item. The other necessary items such as W2's, bank statements and/or utilities, he does'nt have because from 2010-2011:

    *he was unemployed (no pay stubs or W2)
    *he was broke (no bank account)
    *he was homeless (no utilities)

    ....in his case, he gets screwed over and loses his chance simply becuz he was going thru a hard time during the period of which they are inquiring. Moreover, he may have actually had car insurance or something for at least 4 months in 2010, but because he ran out of money and could'nt keep the car insured for another 8 months, he cant establish his proof of residency and thus get the sh*t end. My point is, the NOE doesnt take people like this into consideration. It only considers those who were fortunate enough to have a job, a bank account and their own home/utilities. And If you didnt have any of these things in 2010-2011, then sorry buddy but we dont believe you lived here; all other forms of proof be damned.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  5. #14680
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Stop complaining. Making the argument that bundled services should be counted 2-3 times instead of just once because it's all TWC is being willfully obtuse. You had alternative proofs of residency, and they took them, what's the problem?
    And as far as "complaining' goes, how about this little episode-She would'nt even consider the car insurance at first. When i bought it up as an alternative document, she just kept stubbornly shaking her head and saying "Nope, Nope, car insurance is not listed as acceptable proof according to the NOE. Its not one of the items listed on the NOE. Nope sorry". Thats when i started COMPLAINING. I said "Miss, car insurance being unacceptable does'nt make any sense. The insurance company forms & issues the policy based on WHERE YOU LIVE. How does a document that is primarily based on where you live NOT establish residency?". She thought about it for like 6 seconds and then said "Well, its not on the NOE and only the items listed on the NOE are acceptable". Thats when i said "Well im a little confused, because at the orientation, PEGGY QUINN plainly told us that you guys will consider other forms of SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS that may not be listed on the NOE". Thats when she said "Ok hold on, Peggy is not here today but i will ask my supervisor. Just give me a second". She came back 5 minutes later and said "Oh boy you are very lucky, my supervisor said that car insurance IS considered acceptable". So sometimes, you gotta complain ya know.

    Like i said, had i not happened to drive a car in 2011, then i would have missed this opportunity simply becuz i did'nt have a freakin cable box in February of 2011; which would have honestly been quite ridiculous. And seeing that i possessed all other requirements, such as the W2's, 12 month bank statements and 11 months of cable bills for the period required, for them to disregard ALL of that, simply becuz i was in the middle of switching cable companies, would have been, in my opinion, unnecessarily and willfully obtuse on THEIR part.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  6. #14681
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I remember when I was going through the process, it felt like I was going to Metro tech every week to drop off stuff. Who cares, needs to be done, do it! My investigator told me to fax it, hell no, I'm going there and dropping stuff personally. I haven't reached the end of this academy ride, but I hear that it's all worth it in the end. So don't complain about your investigator, don't complain about paperwork, etc., this is how they weed people out.
    Not necessarily. Sometimes people get weeded out because the investigator simply does'nt know what they are talking about. Like i almost got weeded out because she did'nt know that car insurance was acceptable documentation (See my previous post). Had i said "Ok" and not complained, then i would've lost my residency and thus my opportunity. Sometimes, you gotta use your OWN head. Ask questions. Demand clarifications. The time to shut up is when we get to the Rock. Right now, you gotta open ur mouth and fight for your spot in line.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 10-06-2013 at 04:19 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  7. #14682
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Not necessarily. Sometimes people get weeded out because the investigator simply does'nt know what they are talking about. Like i almost got weeded out because she did'nt know that car insurance was acceptable documentation (See my previous post). Had i said "Ok" and not complained, then i would've lost my residency and thus my opportunity. Sometimes, you gotta use your OWN head. Ask questions. Demand clarifications. The time to shut up is when we get to the Rock. Right now, you gotta open ur mouth and fight for your spot in line.
    Yes, I know, but don't get frustrated. Just do it, no reason to get bent. Ask all the questions you want, but don't get to the point where it's becoming a nuisance to bring in more stuff, or provide more info. It is what is........

  8. #14683
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Yes, I know, but don't get frustrated. Just do it, no reason to get bent. Ask all the questions you want, but don't get to the point where it's becoming a nuisance to bring in more stuff, or provide more info. It is what is........
    I see your point. But in my situation, it was'nt about having a problem bringing stuff in, it was about her not accepting what i DID bring in. But i sure took care of that tho lol
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 10-06-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  9. #14684
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Has anyone had a smooth experience providing residency ?

  10. #14685
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    I have to agree with spiderneck here... These people are essentially bots who do not have minds of their own. I told my investigator i had a notarized letter, and he said so what(it not so many words) I told him and i quoted on the NOE it says in cases of special living situation they will accept other forms of proof in lieu of the listed items above. So the tool goes and gets the NOE...smh...

    Of course we will all do what must be done, but this forum is the only place where other people just like me that want this just like me can come and communicate.

  11. #14686
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Has anyone had a smooth experience providing residency ?
    Mine was flawless. I read the NOE and brought the forms required. I did have to come back to bring current residency proof that I'm living there now but to get the best job in the world it's a joke, bringing in papers doesn't bother me.

  12. #14687
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Any luck finding out more info on the letter?
    sorry man, i didnt get a chance to talk to my boss about it.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

  13. #14688
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    You can thank the court ordered special master and all that jazz for the CID people being total automatons. Every part of the process is monitored and reviewed by multiple layers, so give them a little bit of a break for being rigid. It honestly reminds me of when I had to get approved for a mortgage and later on for a refinance. The banks make you bend over backwards doing stupid stuff just to make sure the loan conforms to Freddie/Fannie standards, so that they can sell the loan to Freddie/Fannie.

  14. #14689
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Can any of you guys otj lay out exactly what the old physical fitness requirements were before the golden age of CPAT? I keep hearing that the old fitness test were a lot harder. Im curious to know exactly what it was. Was there a stairmaster element? What kind of obstacles courses did they put you guys thru and things like that?
    It was similar, but you spent more time on the stairs, the hose advance was a little tougher and the course was a little longer. I don't remember exactly, it was 11 years ago. Most importantly, it was competitive. You were scored on a curve based on the results of all competitors (meaning, the fastest guy set the bar with a 100). This is why the hiring ratio used to be a lot lower, because the top of the list was also, mostly likely, the most well conditioned. The 1.5 mile run was also after swearing in because the # of drops was lower.

  15. #14690
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Mine was flawless. I read the NOE and brought the forms required. I did have to come back to bring current residency proof that I'm living there now but to get the best job in the world it's a joke, bringing in papers doesn't bother me.
    We ALL read the NOE. The problem here is that the investigators did'nt read it. We submitted the necessary documents that we had. But not everyone has the same particular documents that they are asking for. Many people have supporting documents instead. The problem arises when we submit those supporting documents and the investigators dont want to accept them because they didnt read the part of the NOE which states:

    "The Fire Department of New York reserves the right to
    accept other documents in lieu of the above, under special
    circumstances which validate various living arrangements as
    determined by the Department and approved by the
    Department of Citywide Administrative Services."

    They only read the part that says:

    • Mortgage in the candidate’s name valid during the
    12-month period between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011
    • Cable bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Telephone bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Gas, electric or water utility bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Checking or savings account statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Credit card statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 and
    • W-2 form(s) from the candidate’s employer for the 2010 and 2011 tax years.

    ..figuring out what constitutes"other documents" seems to be too much work for them. They'd much rather just look at the specified list and leave it at that. So when some poor guy brings in a "supporting document", they wanna tell him "Oh no thats not acceptable", when in actuality it is. This is about guys bringing in documents that the ignorant investigators dont realize is valid and acceptable; no doubt causing many candidates to lose their spots simply because their investigator did'nt know any better. It has nothing to do with any of us not wanting to submit documents or not wanting to travel down to metro tech. I dont know how you and FFwnt2b got the idea that we are complaining because we dont want to go to metro tech and submit documents lol. Or that people are only having problems because they did'nt read the NOE.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 10-06-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  16. #14691
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    It was similar, but you spent more time on the stairs, the hose advance was a little tougher and the course was a little longer. I don't remember exactly, it was 11 years ago. Most importantly, it was competitive. You were scored on a curve based on the results of all competitors (meaning, the fastest guy set the bar with a 100). This is why the hiring ratio used to be a lot lower, because the top of the list was also, mostly likely, the most well conditioned. The 1.5 mile run was also after swearing in because the # of drops was lower.
    Really? Wow. So they definitely eased it up.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  17. #14692
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Really? Wow. So they definitely eased it up.
    Which is why the CPAT is criticized.

  18. #14693
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    We ALL read the NOE. The problem here is that the investigators did'nt read it. We submitted the necessary documents that we had. But not everyone has the same particular documents that they are asking for. Many people have supporting documents instead. The problem arises when we submit those supporting documents and the investigators dont want to accept them because they didnt read the part of the NOE which states:

    "The Fire Department of New York reserves the right to
    accept other documents in lieu of the above, under special
    circumstances which validate various living arrangements as
    determined by the Department and approved by the
    Department of Citywide Administrative Services."

    They only read the part that says:

    • Mortgage in the candidate’s name valid during the
    12-month period between July 1, 2010 and June 30, 2011
    • Cable bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Telephone bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Gas, electric or water utility bills for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Checking or savings account statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011
    • Credit card statements for the 12-month period prior to July 1, 2011 and
    • W-2 form(s) from the candidate’s employer for the 2010 and 2011 tax years.

    ..figuring out what constitutes"other documents" seems to be too much work for them. They'd much rather just look at the specified list and leave it at that. So when some poor guy brings in a "supporting document", they wanna tell him "Oh no thats not acceptable", when in actuality it is. This is about guys bringing in documents that the ignorant investigators dont realize is valid and acceptable; no doubt causing many candidates to lose their spots simply because their investigator did'nt know any better. It has nothing to do with any of us not wanting to submit documents or not wanting to travel down to metro tech. I dont know how you and FFwnt2b got the idea that we are complaining because we dont want to go to metro tech and submit documents lol. Or that people are only having problems because they did'nt read the NOE.
    where in my post do you see anything about you or any other candidate? Someone asked a question about how everyone else's residency has been going. My post reflects my experience with the residency. Saying I read the NOE doesn't imply that you didn't. Read the post again

  19. #14694
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Mine was flawless. I read the NOE and brought the forms required. I did have to come back to bring current residency proof that I'm living there now but to get the best job in the world it's a joke, bringing in papers doesn't bother me.
    It ain't when your investigator acts like they don't give a ****.

  20. #14695
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    sorry man, i didnt get a chance to talk to my boss about it.
    Steve thats a pretty good sign man,,, I think they save your boss letter for last being that no one really wants to have their emplyer know they are leaving,....

    What list number are you?

  21. #14696
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    My residency proof went flawless. Brought in bank statements for the period including one month ahead of and behind the requirement as well as W2's from all my jobs over the last 5 years.

    I also brought in my car registration and insurance in case one of those was no good which she said both would've worked but everything else was good enough. I just new to bring in two paystubs and I'm set.

  22. #14697
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Steve thats a pretty good sign man,,, I think they save your boss letter for last being that no one really wants to have their emplyer know they are leaving,....

    What list number are you?
    That's what I was thinking. From the 6019 process, I think I remember they saved the letter to your boss till at late as possible but who knows, some people seem to believe there's no rhyme of reason for it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  23. #14698
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    where in my post do you see anything about you or any other candidate? Someone asked a question about how everyone else's residency has been going. My post reflects my experience with the residency. Saying I read the NOE doesn't imply that you didn't. Read the post again
    I actually read it again, and came back with the same interpretation lol. You said ur experience was flawless and the reasoning you gave was because you read the NOE and bought in the forms required. Which, would normally imply that if ones experience was not flawless, its because they didnt read the NOE and did not and/or had a problem with bringing in the forms required. Further, the particular question you responded to did not ask anything about how one felt about bringing in papers. But my reading comprehension skills may be a little off, so dont mind me.

  24. #14699
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    My residency proof went flawless. Brought in bank statements for the period including one month ahead of and behind the requirement as well as W2's from all my jobs over the last 5 years.

    I also brought in my car registration and insurance in case one of those was no good which she said both would've worked but everything else was good enough. I just new to bring in two paystubs and I'm set.
    When did you meet with ur investigator?

  25. #14700
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Guys the letter to your employer just checks to conform you worked there between specific times, reason for leaving, disciplinary action against you for misconduct or tardiness, whether the employer would rehire or recommend you, and a little additional information but nothing too crazy. I hope this helps.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 20 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 15 guests)

  1. BklynFDNY89,
  2. bklynmike91,
  3. dkjets75,
  4. EKFCASPER,
  5. Praying_Patiently

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register