Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Met with mine on the 3rd.

What if the business is closed so there's no one there to confirm these things? Those letters are what I'm most worried about in this process because one or two of my previous employers I didn't leave on the best terms and they might try to screw me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    Guys the letter to your employer just checks to conform you worked there between specific times, reason for leaving, disciplinary action against you for misconduct or tardiness, whether the employer would rehire or recommend you, and a little additional information but nothing too crazy. I hope this helps.
    Yea but they also pretty much inform your boss that your most likely leaving your job. For some people this isn't a big deal but for others it is-which is why in the past I thought they waited as long as possible to send it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Met with mine on the 3rd.

What if the business is closed so there's no one there to confirm these things? Those letters are what I'm most worried about in this process because one or two of my previous employers I didn't leave on the best terms and they might try to screw me.
    For businesses that are closed there is nothing they can do. That happened to my brother when he was going through the process. 2 jobs he worked were closed and the other one his manager passed away so they had nobody to contact. As for employers saying bad things, I was worried about the same issue but I don't think that will play much of a role in your process. Especially considering of your current employer, your references, and your character all say good enough things about you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Yea but they also pretty much inform your boss that your most likely leaving your job. For some people this isn't a big deal but for others it is-which is why in the past I thought they waited as long as possible to send it.
    Yes this is true. I wasn't expecting them to send these out so early. Luckily for me my boss already anticipated it because I told him my plan to take this job. But for some people this could definately be an issue.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any idea what special circumstances DCAS is accepting I have all three supporting documents with one hole EG. Cell phone bill missing a two months bc i used a work phone. W-2, and Credit card all set to go. Are they accepting Lease Agreement / Termination forms ?
    PM is on
    Exam# 2000

Forum Member

When I lived in Brooklyn with my now ex, everything was in her name. Lease, bills, etc. Other than my credit card bills and license, I had no actual proof. Don't ask me why, I was very young and she won the coin flip. Thank god I didn't destroy any correspondence with her cause I had to contact her a year or two after we split and ask for her to write a letter and have notarized stating that I lived with her at such and such time in the city. I think back to it and am like, wow, if I was a real %#@#^ to her she could of screwed up everything for me.
    vekdoggs75 and SouthBK84 like this.

Forum Member

Default Step Machine

How big a factor is the stair master in getting into the FDNY.. I've been going to gym and using stair master with a vest and its not easy.. I can do the cpat time with no problem, but how is it at the medical? I know its been talked about b4 but can we just elaborate again real quick what the medical stairmaster involves and if it involves vest.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    How big a factor is the stair master in getting into the FDNY.. I've been going to gym and using stair master with a vest and its not easy.. I can do the cpat time with no problem, but how is it at the medical? I know its been talked about b4 but can we just elaborate again real quick what the medical stairmaster involves and if it involves vest.
    3 minute warmup with no vest on. Followed by 5:12 with 50 lbs on. If you fail
    And have to go back you will need to so 8 minutes with the 50 lbs on .

Forum Member

The difference is this time they monitor your heart rate. 200-your age is the max your heart rate can go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYCTruckie View Post
    The difference is this time they monitor your heart rate. 200-your age is the max your heart rate can go.
    I believe max hr is 220 - your age x 0.9
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

It's hugely important. People go on about their training schedules and tips/tricks/etc for pages on here for a reason. Stair training isn't important for just getting on the job, it's going to be important for the rest of your (potential) career.

Forum Member

2nd time heart rate doesn't really matter unless you're under they'll stop you at 5:12. The max is 220-age*.9

Forum Member

Anyone here live in the LB area and training?
    I'm hoping to get reached for January so my routine has been stepped up. (5-6 days a week).
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

Forum Member

When I lived in Brooklyn with my now ex, everything was in her name. Lease, bills, etc. Other than my credit card bills and license, I had no actual proof. Don't ask me why, I was very young and she won the coin flip. Thank god I didn't destroy any correspondence with her cause I had to contact her a year or two after we split and ask for her to write a letter and have notarized stating that I lived with her at such and such time in the city. I think back to it and am like, wow, if I was a real %#@#^ to her she could of screwed up everything for me.
    similar situation thanks man good luck
    Exam# 2000

Forum Member

Well ur doing the right thing right now by training with a vest, hopefully one thats 50-80lbs. If the cpat was no problem for you then you should be fine as long as you keep training. After the cpat, i started training with a 50lb vest 2-3 times a week. In only 5 weeks i went from being able to go for just a little over 4 minutes to, now, a whole 10 minutes (give or take a few seconds lol). How long can u stay on right now?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Well ur doing the right thing right now by training with a vest, hopefully one thats 50-80lbs. If the cpat was no problem for you then you should be fine as long as you keep training. After the cpat, i started training with a 50lb vest 2-3 times a week. In only 5 weeks i went from being able to go for just a little over 4 minutes to, now, a whole 10 minutes (give or take a few seconds lol). How long can u stay on right now?
    Out of curiosity how often were you training stairs with the vest on?

Forum Member

Investigator just called. She said my residency is definitely secured and that i need not submit anymore documents. She says my entire packet looks good.

Ya know...I take back everything i said about her over the weekend. I like her now. Shes a nice person lol.

Forum Member

haha spiderneck...

GUYS! just got my medical date in the mail...OCT 17th at 6:45am; this seems early has anyone else had an appointment this early?

FYI my list # is late 800s

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    haha spiderneck...

GUYS! just got my medical date in the mail...OCT 17th at 6:45am; this seems early has anyone else had an appointment this early?

FYI my list # is late 800s
    That's what time they usually are
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Yea thats the one

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Steve thats a pretty good sign man,,, I think they save your boss letter for last being that no one really wants to have their emplyer know they are leaving,....

What list number are you?
    high 700's
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

just talked to my investigator today. she says i need my official transcript from my private HS and then my residency credit paper work is good. I also need 3 proofs of current residency. She said that i can give both credit card bills and bank statements but they need to be from different banks, which i do not understand because i only use one bank. I lived at home all my life so i do not have cable of phone bills. she said that i can also provide a w2 form from 2012 and that will count for current residency. I mentioned about notarized letters about my current residency and she said that is not acccepted, only by the EMT position which doesnt make sense as well. She said just look at the list for acceptable documents and thats all i can use. I also mentioned if i can provide car insurance bills, but she denied that as well. I feel that she is not sure what is accepted.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Just a FYI, when the investigator says you are good, it just means that they can start processing the paperwork. They can still come back later on asking for more paperwork, happened to me and others.

Forum Member

Hey all. Glad to hear that the machine is moving and to all the guys whom make it to the Jan class: All the best. I have a quick question, I know there is no way of getting a definitive answer but I'll settle for an educated guess. I am thinking of volunteering with either Team Rubicon or another similar group this summer. It's a disaster response team always in need of medical professionals(any other Veterans out there who are paramedics, nurses, P.A's, physicians you should look into it) the only issue is they require a 36hr response commitment time. My number is in the 1500's. Is there any chance I could be called for the summer academy? I don't want to sign up and not follow through but I also want to be here for the academy if there is any possibility of it happening. Any suggestions, thoughts, comments would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MakeItHappen View Post
    Out of curiosity how often were you training stairs with the vest on?
    2-3 times a week, each time with a steady increase. For instance, If i did 5 minutes last time, the next time i went 5:30. Once i hit the 6 minute mark, i was able to do an extra minute the next time. Key is to NEVER do less than you did the last time. If u did 6 minutes on ur last session, then you can NEVER do less than 6 minutes ever again. Never look back. Even if all u can do is an extra 10 seconds, then do it. Dont ever say anything like "Damn, i know last time i did 6:20 but today im tired, so im only gonna do 5 minutes". If u did 6:20 last time and today u are feeling a little tired, then just do 6:30, as long as its not the same or less. Also gave myself 2-3 days rest between each session. Rest is also key. First time i actually reached 8 minutes, i had'nt hit the stairs for a whole week prior.

P.S: one time i tried to be Hercules threw in 5 sets of heavy leg presses after the stairs. Great workout but i couldnt "get it up" for wifey later on that night lol. Definetely DONT overtrain. You'll lose too much testoterone.

Thread Information