Like Tree9527Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

but yeah when I set the machine today to CPAT workout, it was easy... when I did a manual workout after I had to set the thing up a couple levels to see 60 steps a minute, and that's when it was harder.

I bought a 60, but im thinking of adjusting it down to 50 pounds to see if I notice a difference and have an easier time on the machine.

The 60 pound vest feels a lot more comfortable on me now than it did when I 1st got it so I think im getting more used to wearing the weight. And my vest does feel heavier than the CPAT vest, because it goes over my shoulders so It feels more like its weighing me down than the CPAT vest which didn't go over shoulders when at 50 LBS.
    Last edited by John246; 10-13-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    I go to NY Sports Club.. Due to my work schedule, I go 2 days in a row to sportsclub on my 2 off days.. Then have 4 straight days of work.. during my 4 work days, I'll use the gym at my job and do 12 minutes cardio on the treadmill 2-3 days, and do weights 2-3 days.. I usually try to get rest in my last day going into my off days so I can rest before doing stairmaster followed by weights at sports club.

I don't want to go to sports club before work because I don't want to risk being late to work.. So Im limied to sportsclub back to back days on off days, and using gym at work my 4 days.. my gym at work is kind of cheap and doesn't have a stairmaster or anything of that sort. just a few treadmills and weights.
    So basically, youre working your legs 5 days a week (2 days stairmaster/3 days treadmill)? And thats including the stairmaster 2 days IN A ROW?? It looks to me like your leg muscles arent getting enough recovery, thats why it seems so hard. If i were you, i would do running and stairmaster on the same day and use the other days for weight training (upper body) and rest. I would also give at least 2 days between each stair session. Throw in a day of heavy leg presses or squats ONCE A WEEK on one of your stair days. May look something like this:

Sunday: Stairmaster/LEG PRESSES/Run
    Monday: Upper Body (chest,arms, back or whatever part u want, just NO legs)
    Tuesday:REST
    Wednsday: Stairmaster/Run
    Thurday: Upper Body (chest,arms, back or whatever part u want, just NO legs)
    Friday: REST (...and/or party lol)
    Saturday: Stairmaster/Run
    Sunday:Upper Body (chest,arms, back or whatever part u want, just NO legs)
    Monday: REST
    Tuesday:Stairmaster/LEG PRESSES/Run

....thus giving ur legs at least 2 days of recovery between each stair session with leg presses being included ONLY once a week. Push to do an extra 30 seconds each time you hit the stairs and NEVER do less time than you did before until you at least hit the 8 minute mark. As for the run, run as far as you can.

This may not work for you but im just giving an example of how i do it and how this caused me to go from 4 minutes to 10+ minutes on the stairs in 6 weeks and therefore pass the 8 minute medical; im also only using a 50lb vest. But doing stairs 2 days in a row and running on the treadmill 3 days back to back is definitely not the way to go. You need more rest. Good rest too, meaning also 7-8 hours sleep EVERY day. And youre gonna have to hit the stairs on some of those work days. Right now, im in the electrical pump business and this job is very heavy on my legs. I spend 8 hours a day dragging and lifting heavy pumps and blowers up and down ramps and numerous flights of stairs and i STILL force myself to go to the gym and hit the stairmaster after work. You dont have to follow my routine above EXACTLY, but as you can see by looking at it, a very important component is rest and adequate recovery. Make your own routine but make sure it includes those 2 very important things.

P.S: Make sure you eat ALOT. 3 full meals at least. If you follow my routine, you can eat whatever you want lol. You wont gain weight. And leave that treadmill alone and hit the track. The treadmill is a liar. It will tell you that you can run 5 miles when you can really only run 2. And find a 24 hour gym so that your work schedule wont matter.

Last edited by Spiderneck30; 10-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Anyone with a high list # who have already passed the physical, medical, and psych know what the next step is? I assume one day I'll just wake up w a letter for the run but I just want to double check. Thanks

List number 3xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2go View Post
    Anyone with a high list # who have already passed the physical, medical, and psych know what the next step is? I assume one day I'll just wake up w a letter for the run but I just want to double check. Thanks

List number 3xx
    Yea if you finished and passed the cpat, medical, psych and all your documents have been submitted to your investigator then just wait for the run.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Just checked the mail (I guess for what came yesterday since I forgot to check) And I got my medical and psych appointments.. Both are within 3 days of each other.. Im excited to have gotten both, BUT having 2 appointments in 3 days is rough and im going to have to get 2 accomodations in 1 week from my job.

Forum Member

question about the psych test...

Does it ask if you've ever been psych DQ'ed by another agency? And do you think this may be a problem/cause me to get called in for an interview since I was NYPD psych DQ'ed?

I passed psych for 3 other agencies, and was offered employment for all 3, 1 of which I work for now.

Forum Member

question about the psych test...

Does it ask if you've ever been psych DQ'ed by another agency? And do you think this may be a problem/cause me to get called in for an interview since I was NYPD psych DQ'ed?

I passed psych for 3 other agencies, and was offered employment for all 3, 1 of which I work for now.
    No it doesnt ask. And even if you were youre fine, plenty of guys who failed PD's psych are otj with the FD now. The psych for FD is no where near as long as the one for PD. You dont even have an oral psych with the FD (unless your written raises concerns).
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

anyone else in the late 900s or higher get the medical and/or psych?

I know Ive said it about 15 times already, but I really am surprised they are getting this high this quickly with medicals. Especially since everyone is thinking only guys under 600 or so have a shot at this January class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    seriously though,,, a simple minded common sense man could see this coming,,,,,, I predicted this from the moment the judge cancelled out our class from august 2010........

When they finally would start hiring the people who had a second chance who couldn't cut it the first time would then be brought back into the same position and asking for another try again......and again....and again

Einstein said it best.... "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"
    Fact.....this entire hiring process has become a bad joke for the last 5+ years. Murphy's Law is the only way I can describe it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    anyone else in the late 900s or higher get the medical and/or psych?

I know Ive said it about 15 times already, but I really am surprised they are getting this high this quickly with medicals. Especially since everyone is thinking only guys under 600 or so have a shot at this January class.
    Im late 900's and I got my letter for med and psych

Forum Member

Default Question

Has anyone in the 500's not had their references and jobs notified yet? None of mine have heard anything and I keep calling my investigator. She says she's busy and that she will call back. Then never does. She hasn't said that there was any problem with my paperwork so I don't think it's that, nor has she reached out to me in any capacity. What do you guys think I should do?

Forum Member

Hey fellas, I have my medical Tuesday morning and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips or hints on what to do today, for instance if I should just relax and stay away from exercising for the day and anything I should do the morning of the exam to prepare. Ive haven't drank alcohol or caffeine in a while and ive just been using the stairmaster and exercising regularly to prepare so hopefully that's good enough .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc1220 View Post
    Hey fellas, I have my medical Tuesday morning and I was just wondering if anybody had any tips or hints on what to do today, for instance if I should just relax and stay away from exercising for the day and anything I should do the morning of the exam to prepare. Ive haven't drank alcohol or caffeine in a while and ive just been using the stairmaster and exercising regularly to prepare so hopefully that's good enough .
    The only physical thing you are gonna do is the stairmaster. Just watch what you eat tonight and tomorrow morning, don't eat or drink anything that's loaded with sugar cause that will throw up a red flag. Get a good nights sleep, and get there early. Follow directions, and remember that you have urine test, don't go to the bathroom before that happens, cause they hate waiting for you. Good luck!

Forum Member

A friend of mine sent me the article below.To give you a heads up the article is fake! It almost gave me a heart attack until I read that everything written on the website is made up. I figured I'd share it so that if anyone came across it they didn't freak out lol.

http://callthecops.net/federal-judge...r-people-pass/
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm sure some wish the 1.5 mile was 25 minutes. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IDontKnow28 View Post
    Has anyone in the 500's not had their references and jobs notified yet? None of mine have heard anything and I keep calling my investigator. She says she's busy and that she will call back. Then never does. She hasn't said that there was any problem with my paperwork so I don't think it's that, nor has she reached out to me in any capacity. What do you guys think I should do?
    I'm in the 200s, have had everything done since June, confirmed that with investigator and have yet to have references go out. Only thing I can assume is every investigator does things differently. But continue to call and leave messages, that's what I do.
    List # 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IDontKnow28 View Post
    Sounds like my investigator... this is what im planning on doing, im going to keep a record of everytime I contact the investigator (phone records, emails - yeah email her too this way you tried more than 1 way to contact her).. Then if something would go wrong, im going to speak with her supervisor and have my proof that I've been doing everything to contact her.

Forum Member

When I went for my intake interview, the director of CID said that we are most likely not going to be for the January class unless we have a high list number, and that most of us will be either july 14 or January 15.. (im content with july 14, but January 15?)

I'm late 900's, and didn't consider this a high list number for January.

This weekend, however, I received 2 appointments for the medical and psych this month, and BOTH of them are in a 3-day span. So I have 1 appointment, then day off, then next appointment.

This is moving very fast for someone who isn't going to get in until july.. I've gone through process for other departments, and I've never scene them give 2 appointments in 3 days like this.. usually 1 appointment a week is a lot and moving fast.

So my point is, I figure they are getting more than they need for January just in case some fail out of process, and the rest will be july. I really at this point wouldn't be surprised if I have a good shot at January if they are moving this fast. I wasn't expecting med/psych until AFTER cpat.

Forum Member

What are your psych and med dates? Was your intake last week?

Forum Member

I don't post often, but I see a lot of talk and worry about the stair master testing.

First off, let me start by saying I failed my first shot at the medical stairmaster. I failed by 3 beats. I went back, crushed the 8 minutes and went home no harm no foul.

Fact of the matter is, the test is unrealistic from a heartrate standpoint. When I did the test on my own in the gym, I was 10-15 beats per minute under the 179 beats I had to be at to pass.

Everyone is different. Some guys are cool calm and collected, I thought I was but its different when you are actually there. When on your own in the gym you have not a care in the world and you can listen to music, or watch TV. At metrotech, the stairmaster is flush against a wall in a narrow room. The wall has a few pieces of paper on it, not much to distract you from the sole thought that this test stands between you and the next 30 years of your life. For me, it was enough to get my nerves going just over the hump of the 179 beats I was allowed to reach. I finished the 5:12 at 182 beats. I was 23 years old at the time and nearly solid muscle. 3 beats of my heart is what the medical office considers to be unacceptable. Hence the test standards are not realistic.

What saved me, is that I trained for 10-20 minutes with that vest on. Doing 8 minutes was a breeze. This is what you should strive for. Stop worrying about your heart rate. (unless its truly excessive) if you can survive 10 minutes and still have a comfortable conversation not out of breath you are going to be just fine. Just keep up the hard work. It isn't worth the anxiety. You would be surprised how many people on the job didnt pass that first time around, it doesnt make them any less of a fireman because they had to make an extra trip to metrotech.

This isn't to scare anyone, its just to give you a heads up. In the end, no amount of time on that stairmaster will match what your body has to endure climbing to the 7th floor in the projects with tools and full PPE, adrenaline pumping and then having to mask up and get the job done.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 10-14-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

When I went for my intake interview, the director of CID said that we are most likely not going to be for the January class unless we have a high list number, and that most of us will be either july 14 or January 15.. (im content with july 14, but January 15?)

I'm late 900's, and didn't consider this a high list number for January.

This weekend, however, I received 2 appointments for the medical and psych this month, and BOTH of them are in a 3-day span. So I have 1 appointment, then day off, then next appointment.

This is moving very fast for someone who isn't going to get in until july.. I've gone through process for other departments, and I've never scene them give 2 appointments in 3 days like this.. usually 1 appointment a week is a lot and moving fast.

So my point is, I figure they are getting more than they need for January just in case some fail out of process, and the rest will be july. I really at this point wouldn't be surprised if I have a good shot at January if they are moving this fast. I wasn't expecting med/psych until AFTER cpat.
    Yeah I'm a little confused as to why they're rushing guys thru the process in the 900-1100 range if they truly feel these guys aren't locks for January or next summer. Don't these medicals expire?
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah I'm a little confused as to why they're rushing guys thru the process in the 900-1100 range if they truly feel these guys aren't locks for January or next summer. Don't these medicals expire?
    They expire after a year. I thought the same thing leading up to July; I thought it was only good for 6 months. But it's 1 year so they are probably getting people ready for January in addition to July
    List # 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Topthrill View Post
    They expire after a year. I thought the same thing leading up to July; I thought it was only good for 6 months. But it's 1 year so they are probably getting people ready for January in addition to July

Yea I really find it hard o believe that guys who got packets are not going to be in the July class. Especially if there doing medicals now. I think they are saying the next 3 class just in case the ratios are way off and there are a crazy amount of recycles for this class and the next and some of the really high 102s don't make it in the July class. My gut feeling though is if you got a packet then your either in the January or July class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Yea I really find it hard o believe that guys who got packets are not going to be in the July class. Especially if there doing medicals now. I think they are saying the next 3 class just in case the ratios are way off and there are a crazy amount of recycles for this class and the next and some of the really high 102s don't make it in the July class. My gut feeling though is if you got a packet then your either in the January or July class.
    Yeah Im in the mid 1100s so I didn't think January was realistic but I did figure the summer class would be more than likely. I'm super confused as to why they would start processing guys if they think guys in my range wouldn't be hired until January '15.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Does it matter what your heart rate is at on the second attempt? Like lets say your max is 180 and you hit 190 but can stay on for the 8 mins. Would this be passing or is there a certain amount you can go over on the second attempt and still pass?

Thread Information