Like Tree9872Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Yeah Im in the mid 1100s so I didn't think January was realistic but I did figure the summer class would be more than likely. I'm super confused as to why they would start processing guys if they think guys in my range wouldn't be hired until January '15.
    Jan 15???? I guess ill never get hired at 26XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Quiles718 View Post
    I feel ya man. Believe me I don't want to wait another year + to get on this job. The quicker I get called, the quicker you get called. Just have to hope the list keeps flowing.

PS Anyone do the Tough Mudder in Dirty Jerz this past weekend?

Forum Member

Quick question.. For you guys who are more running experts..

I'm trying to find a decent pair of running shoes.. My wife bought me some under armor like.. Cross trainers ( ok gym shoes but are awful for me on running)

I get shin splints REAL bad.. To the point where I can't run for more then a few minutes.. I try to do interval runs and other forms of cardio but I really need to run..

Kinda on a budget.. Less then 100 dollars would be great..

Congrats to all the guys getting closer to the dream.. Keep it up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post

I'm trying to find a decent pair of running shoes.. My wife bought me some under armor like.. Cross trainers ( ok gym shoes but are awful for me on running)

I get shin splints REAL bad.. To the point where I can't run for more then a few minutes.. I try to do interval runs and other forms of cardio but I really need to run..

my advice to you would be to find a running store and get help there...they will look at your arch and how you run and determine what kind of running shoes are right for you..

as far as budget is concerned, id say make the investment and spend the little bit more...a really good pair will run you somewhere between 100-170

Forum Member

I wear reebok reezig they are good

Forum Member

I wear reebok reezig they are good
    i wear saucony cortana 3's; those shoes you wear have a very large drop. my guess would be in the 10-12mm range... but the point I was trying to make for him was that everyone is different. and if you are experiencing any pain when running you should go to a running store.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    Hipster sports club in Williamsburg. There are no weights or stair masters but they have open mic poetry nite as well as a drum circle
    I was thinking the same thing in my head but wasn't going to say anything lol. I know there are few crossfit or balck iron gyms over there and am sure there has to be a NYSC which I know has the stair master but I hate that gym.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Topthrill View Post
    I'm in the 200s, have had everything done since June, confirmed that with investigator and have yet to have references go out. Only thing I can assume is every investigator does things differently. But continue to call and leave messages, that's what I do.
    I'm in the same boat. Everything has been done and none of my references or jobs have received anything yet.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IDontKnow28 View Post
    Has anyone in the 500's not had their references and jobs notified yet? None of mine have heard anything and I keep calling my investigator. She says she's busy and that she will call back. Then never does. She hasn't said that there was any problem with my paperwork so I don't think it's that, nor has she reached out to me in any capacity. What do you guys think I should do?
    They do stuff on their own timetable. It's annoying, I wouldn't worry that much about it though until December rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    (im content with july 14, but January 15?)
    You can't wait 6 more months if they don't get to you?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    This isn't to scare anyone, its just to give you a heads up. In the end, no amount of time on that stairmaster will match what your body has to endure climbing to the 7th floor in the projects with tools and full PPE, adrenaline pumping and then having to mask up and get the job done.
    This is worth repeating. Haven't had any jobs yet, but I have walked up with rollups in the awesome heat/humidity we had this summer. Makes the stairmaster seem downright pleasant.

Yeah I'm a little confused as to why they're rushing guys thru the process in the 900-1100 range if they truly feel these guys aren't locks for January or next summer. Don't these medicals expire?
    In a year, and you never know what could cause them to go further into the list than expected. It'd be a true shame if for some reason they had to dip further into the list to get to 320 and then ran out of fully processed candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin12345 View Post
    Does it matter what your heart rate is at on the second attempt? Like lets say your max is 180 and you hit 190 but can stay on for the 8 mins. Would this be passing or is there a certain amount you can go over on the second attempt and still pass?
    On the 2nd time if you are under the max then you probably do 5:12 and that's it. It's being monitored by a department MD and if your heart rate is over they will have you stay on for 8 minutes and pass/fail you based on how well you appear to be handling it, regardless of HR.

Go to Jackrabbit Sports or a place like it and do the whole treadmill thing to determine what type of shoe would be best. You'll probably spend around $100. It's worth it. I also had shin splints for a while last year leading up to and during the beginning of the academy. There are a number of different things to do to also try and get rid of shin splints. Stretching with exercise bands helped me. Just get the right shoes, look up stuff to do to try and fix it and keep running, there's no avoiding it when your # is called for The Rock.
    FDsouthbxNY and NycQ83 like this.

Forum Member

I second MM about going to jack rabbit sports. Thats my go to running store. Everyone that works there are either triathletes or marathon runners who ask you questions, have you run, and then recommend 3 shoes for you too try on based solely on what is the best fit for you, not what looks good, is the cheapest (or most expensive for that matter) or is the newest most popular shoe. Running can be made a whole lot better, or worse, depending on what shoe you have and alot of injuries can be prevented by getting the right shoe; I highly recommend going their, even if its just for some running advice.

Forum Member

Yea man I second Manhattan Medic on going to JackRabbit. I went there last year, to the one right near Union Square. The staff is really knowledgable and I got a pair of New Balance 860's for around 100 bucks that I've been using for just about a year with very little wear and tear. Also, they have a two weeks return policy if the sneaker isn't right for you. I'll never buy another model to run in, which is good because if/when I'm lucky enough to get into the academy, bad running sneakers/****ed up feet will be one less thing to worry about.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

That's awkward, I didn't see the almost identical response above mine haha...
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post

haha I beat you too it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Doesn't hurt to have more than a few people agreeing. I forgot what shoe I got but since I did the customer rewards thing I just show up every time I need new shoes and ask them to look up my previous purchases. Then I get the same thing. Also don't underestimate the importance of replacing running shoes on a regular interval. After being injured in the academy (which I should probably have done paperwork for but... too late) I had a hard time getting into running again due to knee pain. After a month and a half of nearly 0 running I decided to get new shoes before giving up and seeing a doctor. Pain pretty much vanished with the new shoes.

Forum Member

Yeah I'm a little confused as to why they're rushing guys thru the process in the 900-1100 range if they truly feel these guys aren't locks for January or next summer. Don't these medicals expire?
    It's easier to tell a candidate they won't be in the January class, then at the last second say "hey we have openings, you're in" than it is to tell you to expect January but a lot of people recycle and you get bumped to July. Have faith in the hiring ratio - I truly believe the department wants extra people ready for hire because they have no idea what to expect in terms of how many PHs, EMS, recycles, etc. will take up this next class. It's an unprecedented situation so they have to prepare for anything.

Forum Member

Does anyone know if any stores in the area sell the 50lb weighted vest? I'm looking at buying this one but $33 shipping is a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/ZFOsports%C2%A...1797033&sr=1-3

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Does anyone know if any stores in the area sell the 50lb weighted vest? I'm looking at buying this one but $33 shipping is a lot.

Look at zfo sports eBay store. For some reason they ship much cheaper from their eBay store than their amazon store. I got my 70lbs best of their eBay store and saved $30 on the shipping.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

Sorry for the typos, I'm on my phone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post

I got mine on eBay, it was $69+$16 shipping, it worked great. Search eBay, you will find what you are looking for.

Forum Member

Forgot what I actually wanted to say before. Since I can still remember when the post was trashing my class as a bunch of EMS fatties. Whatever has to be said about the current class and the high dropout rate should not reflect on those that actually graduate from this class. Given what the standards are anybody that makes it through the academy deserves to be judged on their own merit, not the shortcomings of people that failed out/quit.
    mocon337, FFwnt2b, Prosc15 and 1 others like this.

Forum Member

has anyone here taken a Methacholine challenge test? During my medical, the doctor ordered me to take one.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

When does this next class graduate? when do we find out the true numbers about who is allowed to recycle.
    NycQ83 likes this.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    They do stuff on their own timetable. It's annoying, I wouldn't worry that much about it though until December rolls around.

You can't wait 6 more months if they don't get to you?

This is worth repeating. Haven't had any jobs yet, but I have walked up with rollups in the awesome heat/humidity we had this summer. Makes the stairmaster seem downright pleasant.

In a year, and you never know what could cause them to go further into the list than expected. It'd be a true shame if for some reason they had to dip further into the list to get to 320 and then ran out of fully processed candidates.

On the 2nd time if you are under the max then you probably do 5:12 and that's it. It's being monitored by a department MD and if your heart rate is over they will have you stay on for 8 minutes and pass/fail you based on how well you appear to be handling it, regardless of HR.

Go to Jackrabbit Sports or a place like it and do the whole treadmill thing to determine what type of shoe would be best. You'll probably spend around $100. It's worth it. I also had shin splints for a while last year leading up to and during the beginning of the academy. There are a number of different things to do to also try and get rid of shin splints. Stretching with exercise bands helped me. Just get the right shoes, look up stuff to do to try and fix it and keep running, there's no avoiding it when your # is called for The Rock.
    I can wait, but im already in a career, and that would be just more time invested into a career im leaving for fdny, and that would be more that i'd be giving up with this career by that time

Forum Member

John246, I really hope I don't sound like an a-hole saying this, but....... Please pass on the job if they call you. Please keep your current job and the time you have vested there. Because if your really worried about six months then think about all the people who are more than willing to give up a good job with good pay and time vested to have a shot at something they have been dreaming about for probably the better part of their lives. Please don't take a spot from someone else if you really don't want it bad enough to wait six more months. There are people who have been waiting since 6019 (ie: me)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    When does this next class graduate? when do we find out the true numbers about who is allowed to recycle.
    Was wondering the same, any thoughts?

Thread Information