Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 345678916561065061006 ... LastLast
Like Tree7738Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Someone just asked how to apply for the exam..like..people can't be serious. maybe these same people will be too lazy to figure out public transportation with in NYC and get lost on the way to the test site..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Someone just asked how to apply for the exam..like..people can't be serious. maybe these same people will be too lazy to figure out public transportation with in NYC and get lost on the way to the test site..
    lol, when I saw that I did one of these:

We gotta keep in mind not everyone is as serious about getting on the job. I'm sure a few of them are taking this as a back up plan. My cousins boyfriend is doing that.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 07-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Forum Member

I'm taking it as a lottery ticket..i.e. 25 dollars on the chance of winning a dream..I know my odds are slim..with all the people getting residency points, legacy points, people who are just good at taking tests...but you still need to take it seriously, a little, and you still need to prepare, I mean it has to be a PLAN to be a backup plan lol

Forum Member

I have a question for any one who knows the EMS info. I currently have no EMS cert. It seems by the instructions that I am allowed to file for the promotional anyway, I just cant sit for the test until I am actually hired on permanent appointment or appears on preferred list. So my question is, is it possible to get a cert and get hired before january? I figure If I have to wait a few years, I would rather do it on EMS?

If I file for the promotional right now just to be safe, it won't void my open competitive filing, will it?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    @joinfdny @fdnynews

My favorite thing about the FB forum: The dude with a profile picture of him at a fire scene, and in the background you can see the fire is still going on, lol.

On Twitter I asked them if there was any way for us to confirm our app was received, they actually don't have an answer for even that. My CC was charged and I have my receipt so I'm sure it's all good, and if it isn't I'll have proof I registered but it doesn't hurt to be 100% sure.

Yep, 30,000+ people will take the exam, but there wont be 30,000 all stars, obviously
    Hopeful- If you call DCAS and give your name and social, they can confirm if they received your app.
    You sound as paranoid as I am. HAha

Forum Member

I'm taking it as a lottery ticket..i.e. 25 dollars on the chance of winning a dream..I know my odds are slim..with all the people getting residency points, legacy points, people who are just good at taking tests...but you still need to take it seriously, a little, and you still need to prepare, I mean it has to be a PLAN to be a backup plan lol
    How do legacy points work? What's the criteria? Must be nice to test for a department that actually still can take legacy into consideration. Be nice if Chicago would do that, then again they got sued to the point they had to have a pass/fail written exam so not even written scores do you any good, so wishing for legacy is hilarious on my part.

EDIT: Nevermind, looked it up and found it. Chicago actually has the same legacy policy in place. Testing process still sucks compared to FDNY. Was considering testing until I saw the age cut off was 29. I turned 30 in March.
    Last edited by Iceman26; 07-22-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Forum Member

Looks like next academy will be 18 weeks according to the twitter feed.

Have no fear sir, the FDNY and will be picking up said people in Suburbans and vans and buying them breakfast on the way.

Laugh but it supposedly happened last test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    Have no fear sir, the FDNY and will be picking up said people in Suburbans and vans and buying them breakfast on the way.

Laugh but it supposedly happened last test.
    Thats fine by me...I perfer to have my back in a corner. makes winning that much more fun.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neal2578 View Post
    Whoops read it wrong.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 07-22-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Hopeful- If you call DCAS and give your name and social, they can confirm if they received your app.
    You sound as paranoid as I am. HAha
    guilty as charged, lol. I actually found a confirmation email for the filing in my spam in box. It was sent to me right after I applied.

Quote Originally Posted by neal2578 View Post

just saw that myself. Can't say I was too broken up about it. I hear how rough probie school can be, losing 1.5 months aint too bad.

CFR-D REQUIRED, since im already certified as an EMT in the State of Texas I'm guessing it doesn't matter. I would still need to get the CFR-D right ?

Does the fact that my last name is one letter shy of the fire commissioner mean I won't get a foot in hahaha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    So my question is, is it possible to get a cert and get hired before january? I figure If I have to wait a few years, I would rather do it on EMS?
    No.

If your thinking about getting your cert, do it asap. The FDNY will have an opening scheduled for the EMT position in Sept. You must be EMT certified by the last day of the application deadline to apply. And unlike the firefighter application, you will not be tested. You will be graded on experience. Just being EMT certified with no experience will get you the lowest passable score, a 70. Which means you'll have a while before they contact you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    If I file for the promotional right now just to be safe, it won't void my open competitive filing, will it?
    More than likely it will. You must be an FDNY EMT/Medic out of probation to be eligible to apply for the promotional. So don't do it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by 76Truck View Post
    CFR-D REQUIRED, since im already certified as an EMT in the State of Texas I'm guessing it doesn't matter. I would still need to get the CFR-D right ?
    Yup, and you don't need to get the CFR-D to apply. You'll do the training regardless.

FYI, even if you're NYS EMT certified and hired as a FF, your scope of practice will be at the CFR level. I think only the Rescue Co. are at the EMT level. Maybe a few other units as well...
    Last edited by Hairy and Scary; 07-23-2011 at 12:45 AM.

Thats fine by me...I perfer to have my back in a corner. makes winning that much more fun.

I agree.....so long as the game isn't fixed before its started.

Forum Member

Guys- I'm looking to start getting organized the way the 6019 guys did. Not to take anything away from those guys- I know they are still alive and well, but just so we can be prepared to deal with whatever comes our way. If you signed up for Exam 2000 send me a PM with your contact information. If anyone has any ideas or recommendations let me know.

Thank You

Have a question about veterans preference maybe someone can help me. Was going to call them but its after 5 and I know the people answering phones have been less then helpful lately.

Just to be clear: It says on the special circumstances page, to qualify for Vets Credits you must be a NYS resident at appointment or promotion. So does that mean that you do not have to maintain a New York State home of record throughout your military career, just before you get appointed? A buddy of mine was wondering because he is in the Army now and his home of record is currently in Florida.

Forum Member

Check out the Q&A from the Facebook session. I'm pretty sure I remember someone else asking the same Q....plus even if it's not helpful you can laugh at all the insanely idiotic questions in there, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...33701496664386

Forum Member

Hey i have a question for u guys that im having a hard time finding an answer to. I am in the national guard and fully expect to have a deployment under my belt before any type of appointment( hoping that i score very well). I am trying to figure out if i am eligible for the veterans credit being that i have not deployed yet, but will almost for sure be deploying before the first or second class goes through off this exam. This is my first post but i have been on here for quite some time reading any and all info that i can.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northofny2011 View Post
    Hey i have a question for u guys that im having a hard time finding an answer to. I am in the national guard and fully expect to have a deployment under my belt before any type of appointment( hoping that i score very well). I am trying to figure out if i am eligible for the veterans credit being that i have not deployed yet, but will almost for sure be deploying before the first or second class goes through off this exam. This is my first post but i have been on here for quite some time reading any and all info that i can.
    North, Check out this thread I think it may have what you are looking for- look for the reply from VinnieB and DFurtman.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/arch.../t-113552.html

I'm not sure if you enlisted in NY or not but it also seems that there is some confusion regarding that as well on there. I hate to say call DCAS because it seems like we usually have a better understanding then they do but that may be your best bet to try and dig around there.

Good Luck-Thanks For Your Service
    Last edited by dkjets75; 07-26-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: wrong link

Forum Member

I'm going to make a new video and I need all 6019 candidates as well as future exam 2000 candidates to participate. This is going to voice us as one, to speak for all races and genders. It's to support rank hiring. Please email me with your name and phone number so I can start the necessary preproduction work. I would like as much help as possible, so if your interested in extra resposibilites, state what skills you may have in the email. Let's all get off the computers and actually do something about our problem.

JoeyBatts@gmail.com

For those that didn't see our first video, this was made during the litigation, before we were dealt the cards we were dealt. One thing we did get was an age extension for 6019 candidates. If we speak up and stand in front of them, we can make a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzJGg...e_gdata_player

Thread Information