Like Tree9521Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    Red cross doesnt give it. Go to the NYS DOH website. It should have a list of where all the CFR and EMT courses are being held. Also, no matter what level of EMT you are at you will have to get certified as a NYS CFR anyway. Im a paramedic and will have to get my CFR.
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out the NYS site. As of now I don't have any certs but it's worth looking in to seeing whether it's a lot cheaper to get the CFR-D on your own time vs paying for it in probie school.

Forum Member

So it looks like with as many people as are applying, the 5 extra points you get for residency in New York are going to be pretty tough to overcome for out of towners?
    Last edited by Dirty Axe; 08-01-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    So it looks like with as many people as are applying, the 5 extra points you get for residency in New York are going to be pretty tough to overcome for out of towners?
    Dirty Axe I'm in the same boat- I moved to the city 6 months ago, figuring that would be more than enough time. Needless to say it wasn't...

All we can hope for is that this will lower the amount of people who lie about their residency and level the playing playing field for the people who don't want to cheat the system.

Remember, not everyone with the extra 5 points will score a 105 on the test- just make sure you shoot for 100 and nothing less.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    this exam will be no different than the past exams regarding how well you need to score. Shoot for 100 & still expect to not be in the first class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Remember, not everyone with the extra 5 points will score a 105 on the test- just make sure you shoot for 100 and nothing less.
    I always forget this. Thanks for reminding me. It was a blow to my confidence knowing I couldnt get the points but we have to keep our heads up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsMyName View Post
    New York State doesn't offer reciprocity
    thats funny because I just sent off my paper work.

It was fairly easy.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Who even knows what this next exam will look like. Prior exams had well over 100 Q's, so you could miss a couple here and there. Not to say that the material will be more challenging on this exam but the margin for error decreases if there aren't as many Q's.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Who even knows what this next exam will look like. Prior exams had well over 100 Q's, so you could miss a couple here and there. Not to say that the material will be more challenging on this exam but the margin for error decreases if there aren't as many Q's.
    25 points for spelling your name correctly, 25 points for identifying your left and right, 25 points for knowing the color of fire, and 25 points for knowing how to dress yourself......EXTRA CREDIT is being able to describe what a ladder is for!

Forum Member

Does anyone know if there are any restriction regarding vision? I wear contacts and i heard a couple of people talking about getting eye surgery.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkballer04 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any restriction regarding vision? I wear contacts and i heard a couple of people talking about getting eye surgery.
    youll have to get lasik. FDNY doesnt allow glasses or contacts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    youll have to get lasik. FDNY doesnt allow glasses or contacts.
    Thanks for the help. Guess i better start looking that up then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    25 points for spelling your name correctly, 25 points for identifying your left and right, 25 points for knowing the color of fire, and 25 points for knowing how to dress yourself......EXTRA CREDIT is being able to describe what a ladder is for!
    I can go to the bathroom by myself and I wouldnt need help from the chief, I deserve some points for that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkballer04 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Guess i better start looking that up then.
    Look in the beginning of the 6019 thread, lots of people talking about lasik, if I remember correctly and how much.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 08-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.

erc
    Forum Member

So what books is everyone using to study from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by erc View Post
    So what books is everyone using to study from?
    I had been studying the ARCO books and the prep books provided by the FDNY.

But we really have no idea what is going to be on this test now. We will just have to wait and see. I have heard that the job will provide test materials and classes when the time comes.

Forum Member

I bought Barrons and McGraw hill, but I haven't been studying them because I know this test will be much different.

Forum Member

I agree with not bogging down your brain but there is so much time between now and the test, any time spent thinking and studying would be good. There are tons of refresher-type grammar, memory and resaoning lessons available online. Dedicate 30-60 minutes per day to exercising your mind and you will be fine.

Forum Member

I haven't started doing any sort of studying either. I figured I would pick it in Sept. Even though we have no idea what the test format will be, your brain is like any muscle you have. The more you exercise it the better off you are. At least that's what I'll tell myself when I'm trying to push through idiotic grammar exercises that most definitely won't be on the exam given all the nonsense over the last exam's reading level being "unnecessarily high".

Forum Member

Yea once the test date draws near, hopefully we'll have a better idea of what to study and we can study that.

Forum Member

Online grammar Exercises? Where?

Forum Member

Theres a ton on Google. You kind of have to sift through some garbage first but type into Google everything before your question mark and you should get some stuff. Theres no certain one that I use, I just kind of do them and click the next one
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 08-04-2011 at 03:38 PM. Reason: missed word

Forum Member

this is for the guys that do not have a daddy, brother on the job or have been a volly for 10 years and think they know it all.

for those worried about not getting the city credit anymore because of the strict rule changes or thinking you will not get on because you live outside of nyc i will tell you that the amount of nyc residents that will actually take the test, pass the background, the medical, the phsycological will not be that large. the 5 points help you will get on sooner but with a high score on the written and the physical you will be called. the **** will have to be weeded out first which will take time but you will get called if you are prepared and ready for it. the fdny is down like 800 guys and will be down more in the next few months.

also guys worry too much about the physical and the cpat. they are not hard physically but you must know and have the proper technique and idea of what you are doing beforehand to blow through it. you will be provided with info on what each step of the physical is and what to do. if you can pass the physical then you will pass the cpat at the end of the academy.
    the big concern is your heart rate on the stepper. there are heart rate numbers that you must stay within to be considered for the job. the best way to prepare is to run with a heart monitor and to do stairs with this monitor. you have to train your mind and body to stay within your heart rtate limits while working out. the heart is a muscle and must be trained.

after you pass everything you will go into the academy and they will run you hard and hit you with pushups and situps. then go to class for fire scince adn safety then go to learn the scba mask, then learn ropes then lunch then advance 2 1/2 fully charged hose. it is tough mentally and physically.

at the gymn you should do a full body workout to prepare. fast and hard without medium weights. work you legs too. make sure you eat alot of carbs and protein for breakfast and for dinner and drink water mixed with gatorade when you are on the Rock. run in the cold, the heat and the rain. dont stand out and just do what your told and also pay attention the first time they show you something. psych yourself up to be yelled at and to be told you shoold go back to your old job. they will test you in all ways. they will be super hard this class because alot of unqulaified candiated will be trying to get this job.

i am done. now get off the computer and set up your diet and workout sched.

Forum Member

Thanks, I thought you meant there were like civil service test specific questions. I do need work on my grammar, I actually bought a book for it, it's hard to study when you know it probably won't be on the test.
    People on the 6019 thread listed some links from the company that made the test, so I have to go back and look through it for those.

Forum Member

Yea my grammar was solid for the last city test I took. Realized I should have been studying math and percentages haha. Needless to say, failed that test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by squarewheels View Post
    this is for the guys that do not have a daddy, brother on the job or have been a volly for 10 years and think they know it all.

for those worried about not getting the city credit anymore because of the strict rule changes or thinking you will not get on because you live outside of nyc i will tell you that the amount of nyc residents that will actually take the test, pass the background, the medical, the phsycological will not be that large. the 5 points help you will get on sooner but with a high score on the written and the physical you will be called. the **** will have to be weeded out first which will take time but you will get called if you are prepared and ready for it. the fdny is down like 800 guys and will be down more in the next few months.

also guys worry too much about the physical and the cpat. they are not hard physically but you must know and have the proper technique and idea of what you are doing beforehand to blow through it. you will be provided with info on what each step of the physical is and what to do. if you can pass the physical then you will pass the cpat at the end of the academy.
    the big concern is your heart rate on the stepper. there are heart rate numbers that you must stay within to be considered for the job. the best way to prepare is to run with a heart monitor and to do stairs with this monitor. you have to train your mind and body to stay within your heart rtate limits while working out. the heart is a muscle and must be trained.

after you pass everything you will go into the academy and they will run you hard and hit you with pushups and situps. then go to class for fire scince adn safety then go to learn the scba mask, then learn ropes then lunch then advance 2 1/2 fully charged hose. it is tough mentally and physically.

at the gymn you should do a full body workout to prepare. fast and hard without medium weights. work you legs too. make sure you eat alot of carbs and protein for breakfast and for dinner and drink water mixed with gatorade when you are on the Rock. run in the cold, the heat and the rain. dont stand out and just do what your told and also pay attention the first time they show you something. psych yourself up to be yelled at and to be told you shoold go back to your old job. they will test you in all ways. they will be super hard this class because alot of unqulaified candiated will be trying to get this job.

i am done. now get off the computer and set up your diet and workout sched.
    Holy hell this is a good post! Especially that last part. Thanks

Thread Information