Like Tree9854Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Thanx NycQ83 and Tom, keep us posted...

Also NycQ83 what is your list number range area?
    Tom where in the 11xx are you?

So up to what list number has gotten medicals so far?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanTony View Post
    with summons and points on my license i'm nervous about the investigation.
    I'm trying not to omit anything but looking at the collection I have gathered I am concerned =/
    does anyone else have a tainted collection but have managed to pass the investigation?
    lol...nope.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackooze View Post
    Everyone here is discussing dispositions letters and from my understanding you only need one if you were arrested or summons in court. Does suspended license count?
    On my abstract it shows the dates time served.
    No that does'nt count because that information is already on your abstract. They only want "arrest/criminal" dispositions. Criminal court summons which were dismissed means no disposition; any arrest, whether convicted or not, needs a disposition.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    You shouldn't have any issues with cpat or stair master. I've been practicing stairs with 65 lbs for 8-10 minutes at a relatively quick pace. I haven't had a chance to work on a stair master unfortunately but I think I will be alright. As for the methacholine test, I heard it isn't as bad as it sounds and I doubt that it will hold you up. It's just an inconvenience.
    I wish you find a stair master. I used to train by climbing an actual 20 stories with the vest on before i finally found a stair master and it was a difference for sure (at least for me). Unlike actual flights, there are no landings on the stair master to give you that 2 second break (which means alot). And keeping your balance with that weight in such a tight space while struggling with gravity as the step mill literally pulls you down are things you don't have to deal with on real stairs. I find that the best way to prepare for an event is to mimic the event.

I trained for the medical by buying a 50lb vest and setting the step mill @ 60 steps per minute and going for 8-10 minutes. EXACTLY like the medical, not heavier and not much longer; that way my body could'nt play any sudden tricks on game day. Good luck bro.
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 10-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.
    John246 likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

lets say i got into aan ambulance car accident while working as a transport emt and slammed into another car with the ambulance...and than that guy sued me for money..will that **** me over on the investigation? what do you guys think they will tell me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    I wish you find a stair master. I used to train by climbing an actual 20 stories with the vest on before i finally found a stair master and it was a difference for sure (at least for me). Unlike actual flights, there are no landings on the stair master to give you that 2 second break (which means alot). And keeping your balance with that weight in such a tight space while struggling with gravity as the step mill literally pulls you down are things you don't have to deal with on real stairs. I find that the best way to prepare for an event is to mimic the event.

I trained for the medical by buying a 50lb vest and setting the step mill @ 60 steps per minute and going for 8-10 minutes. EXACTLY like the medical, not heavier and not much longer; that way my body could'nt play any sudden tricks on game day. Good luck bro.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've tried out the stair master a few times and it's definately harder, but I've been training hard on real steps in hopes to account for that. Unfortunately my medical is later this week so I couldn't buy myself some extra practice on the stair master. I'm feeling good about it though, just have to focus on my steps and I think I should be fine. I just wish I had the time to access a stair master more often. Thank you for the tips though, much appreciated.

Forum Member

You'll be fine. Plenty of people do it without having been on a stairmaster. If you're that worried and fail just set the date for as late as possible and join a gym for the one month
    DedicatedAmbition likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You'll be fine. Plenty of people do it without having been on a stairmaster. If you're that worried and fail just set the date for as late as possible and join a gym for the one month
    Well this is my retake that's coming up, but I'm feeling good about it. I've been training with 65 lbs at a quick pace for 10 minutes. Then when I dropped to 50lbs I did 15 minutes easy and only stopped to do some extra leg workouts. I'm jut hoping busting my *** on the real stairs pays off and makes the stair master a breeze.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    Well this is my retake that's coming up, but I'm feeling good about it. I've been training with 65 lbs at a quick pace for 10 minutes. Then when I dropped to 50lbs I did 15 minutes easy and only stopped to do some extra leg workouts. I'm jut hoping busting my *** on the real stairs pays off and makes the stair master a breeze.
    what do you mean re-take? your 1st time having to go for 8 minutes, or your second time having to do that?

The stair machine and real steps is like the treadmill and the track.. Running on the treadmill is going to show you different results than running on the track.

That's good that your practicing on stairs, but if you have a hard time on the stairmaster then I would say definitely join the gym (FDNY gives that discount membership for sports club). Because the stairmaster has some different variables to it then real stairs. You are somewhat higher up in the air so balance is different on the stair master, you need to develop a rhythm because the steps just keep coming out and you gotta keep stepping before it passes.

Spiderneck made a lot of great points about the differences.. another BIG factor to keep in mind, is I don't know what the size of the steps your climbing up is, like the length of each step and if you can get your WHOLE FOOT onto the step, but on the stairmaster, each step isn't long enough for me to put my whole foot on it, so im not putting my whole foot on the step when stepping, which as the time goes by, it starts to get your calfs working.

So keep all this stuff in mind too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    what do you mean re-take? your 1st time having to go for 8 minutes, or your second time having to do that?

The stair machine and real steps is like the treadmill and the track.. Running on the treadmill is going to show you different results than running on the track.

That's good that your practicing on stairs, but if you have a hard time on the stairmaster then I would say definitely join the gym (FDNY gives that discount membership for sports club). Because the stairmaster has some different variables to it then real stairs. You are somewhat higher up in the air so balance is different on the stair master, you need to develop a rhythm because the steps just keep coming out and you gotta keep stepping before it passes.

Spiderneck made a lot of great points about the differences.. another BIG factor to keep in mind, is I don't know what the size of the steps your climbing up is, like the length of each step and if you can get your WHOLE FOOT onto the step, but on the stairmaster, each step isn't long enough for me to put my whole foot on it, so im not putting my whole foot on the step when stepping, which as the time goes by, it starts to get your calfs working.

So keep all this stuff in mind too.
    It's my first time doing the 8 minutes. For the most part I don't have trouble with the stair master when I use it. I can get most of my foot on it and my endurance is good. The worst thing is that the slower pace makes a rhythm a bit harder and if you overstep you will crush your toes. Otherwise, I haven't had many issues concerning balance or endurance.
    Thank you guys for the words of advice. I definately wish I had the time to hit a gym more often and practice, but between being a full time student and worker, the schedule is rough. I'm going to my schools gym to see if they have a weighted vest since I know they have the stairmaster.

Forum Member

Glad to hear everyone's investigations/medicals/psychs are going well. It's funny to see the waves of questions come in as the waves of paperwork go out and how reoccurring some questions are. Anyways:

For guys/girls in my position (Finished with hiring process and waiting on run letter) How are you guys training? What regiments have you been getting into? I know coldblood was posting his stuff for a while but I'm curious to see what everyone else is up to. I figure since some of us will be in class together it couldn't hurt that we put our heads together and train as practically and efficiently as we can for these next few months. My regiment goes as follows:

1.One day a week is strictly building leg strength. (Squats, leg press, lunges etc. All heavy weight)

2.Two to three days a week are for a workout circuit that hits basically every body part and focuses on muscular endurance. (pushups/pullups/sit ups/body weight squats/shoulder press all consecutive no rest)

3. Two days a week are for strictly HIIT workouts (High intensity interval training). Great for cardio and from what I hear simulates the feeling of the dreaded "FST" (as seen here" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnsLVArIt8)

4. Left over days for running. Have slowed down a bit since it's been getting a little chilly but averaging about 3 miles at a 7:45 pace per mile.

TL: DR - What do your workouts consist of? Here's mine in a nutshell.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Glad to hear everyone's investigations/medicals/psychs are going well. It's funny to see the waves of questions come in as the waves of paperwork go out and how reoccurring some questions are. Anyways:

For guys/girls in my position (Finished with hiring process and waiting on run letter) How are you guys training? What regiments have you been getting into? I know coldblood was posting his stuff for a while but I'm curious to see what everyone else is up to. I figure since some of us will be in class together it couldn't hurt that we put our heads together and train as practically and efficiently as we can for these next few months. My regiment goes as follows:

1.One day a week is strictly building leg strength. (Squats, leg press, lunges etc. All heavy weight)

2.Two to three days a week are for a workout circuit that hits basically every body part and focuses on muscular endurance. (pushups/pullups/sit ups/body weight squats/shoulder press all consecutive no rest)

3. Two days a week are for strictly HIIT workouts (High intensity interval training). Great for cardio and from what I hear simulates the feeling of the dreaded "FST" (as seen here" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZnsLVArIt8)

4. Left over days for running. Have slowed down a bit since it's been getting a little chilly but averaging about 3 miles at a 7:45 pace per mile.

TL: DR - What do your workouts consist of? Here's mine in a nutshell.
    I usually go to the gym Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I weight lift for 45-50 minutes. Then I go on the step mill with a 65 LBS vest. I do a 3:30 minute warm up with no vest at 80 steps per minute. Then I put my vest on and do 8 minutes at 60 steps per minute, hold on to the rails for two minutes, let go for one, hold for two, let go for one, hold for one, and that's 15 minutes with the vest. As for my running, I typically run every other day and sometimes I run in back to back days. I want to increase my running a little more and do 80 miles a month, right now I've been doing 65-75 a month. I usually do between 4-5 miles. On good days I maintain 8 minute miles. On days I'm not as good as I want to be I'm anywhere from 8:15 miles to 8:30 miles. Though the 8:30 miles are rarer and rarer. There is also a HITT workout meant to mimic PT training that teufelhunden36 posted a while back. I do that 2x a week. I want to start doing that 3x a week though. And in his work out I also added sets of luges and burpees.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Getting pumped for January and reading this thread has motivated me even more.

1. 1-2X a week I do an hour workout circuit class that is both aerobic and anaerobic ( inlcudes spinning , muscle endurance/strength workouts using kettlebells and trx)

2. 1- 2x a week I've incorporated the workout posted by teufelhunden awhile back. Using 10 lb weights with high repetitions and a total of 2 circuits ( included pull ups and burpees).

3. 1 day for strength training ( 40 minutes or so of lifting weights followed by either an interval swim session or run).

4. Been running at least 5 days a week with distances that range anywhere from 3.5 to 9 miles. Try to keep a pace that ranges from 7:00 to 7:15 ( this recently has meant 30-35 miles a week).

5. Would like to focus on using my vest more on stairs ( probably at a train station) since I have not really used it since my medical last Spring.

I mentioned a few pages back that if anyone is training and lives in or near the Long Beach area let me know. Running alone gets boring.

BTW good luck to all those in processing right now !
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

Forum Member

Ok Im just a little confused about coming back for the stairmaster. I went over by a couple beats so im going back next week. Now from what I understand you retake the same exact test and if your heart rate is over you just have to stay on for 3 extra minutes and if so you pass? Also is the 1st 3 minutes the same where you cannot double your resting heart rate or no ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc1220 View Post
    Ok Im just a little confused about coming back for the stairmaster. I went over by a couple beats so im going back next week. Now from what I understand you retake the same exact test and if your heart rate is over you just have to stay on for 3 extra minutes and if so you pass? Also is the 1st 3 minutes the same where you cannot double your resting heart rate or no ?
    Doubling doesn't matter on the second attempt

Forum Member

For the guys that have done the physical already, how long should I expect to be there ? Also is like the investigation where the earlier you get there, the earlier you get out ? I have my physical November 9th @ 8:00am.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

aight im answering this question cause i wanna know where you are in the 1100s

No it doesnt matter, earlier there earlier leave. You all leave at the same time. Of course be early.
    I think my group was there about 4 or 5 hours... Great to hear guys so high getting medicals
    Last edited by coldblood92; 10-28-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Forum Member

Woo-hoo! Flashing out the workouts! This forum was getting a little grim with investigations. I've got two tickets in the past 10 years and I feel like I might get DQed. So here's my workout:

1.Mondays and Fridays are weight lifting with strictly supersets. No breaks, similar to Cross-Fit but total body in the morning. HIITS in evening

2. Wednesdays are basic body-moving exercises that are high intensity. HIITS in evening

3. Tuesdays have been 5 mile runs but I bumped it up to 6.5 lately

4. Thursdays are sprint interval training.

5. Saturdays are trail runs with added calisthenics in the morning, stair-master with a 50 pound vest while carrying two 25 pound plates in the evening.

Forum Member

anybody else feel like there torturing you with that last email the FDNY sent. haha

"the fire academy is just three months away"

does this mean im in for January? haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    aight im answering this question cause i wanna know where you are in the 1100s

No it doesnt matter, earlier there earlier leave. You all leave at the same time. Of course be early.
    I think my group was there about 4 or 5 hours... Great to hear guys so high getting medicals
    So even for the physical you have to stay till your done ? I haven't received anything for the medical yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So even for the physical you have to stay till your done ? I haven't received anything for the medical yet.
    The physical you get there early you will get out a little bit earlier. Once you're done with your cpat you get your stuff from the locker and leave, you don't have to wait for everyone like the medical

Forum Member

oh sry i thought u were talking about the medical, i cant do more than one thing at once.

Forum Member

Hey just wondering if any guys in 1400's hear any info yet ?
    Medic2312 likes this.

Forum Member

Plan to be there all day (3ish), you cannot leave till everyone is done with their medical.

Forum Member

Does anyone think (optimistically of course) that people in the late 15## have a chance of the summer class or is it most likely gonna be the following January or summer?

Thread Information