Like Tree9945Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    The judge won't throw this exam out. Atleast I wouldnt think so, too much money involved. If he does throw it out he will be in for a big surprise from us the candidates and fireman as well as neighbors. People will protest because now its becoming even more of a public safety issue. Fireman lives would be in danger this would be considered suicide. Too many fires have occurred this year alone and on top of things the city eliminated the fifth man on the truck. They need fresh probies. The judge can't be this stupid I really hope not.
    I'm not so much worried about the exam getting thrown out as I am that the parties involved will manipulate the exam results some how or some way to get the final results they want.

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I'm not so much worried about the exam getting thrown out as I am that the parties involved will manipulate the exam results some how or some way to get the final results they want.
    Very interesting point. That would just be plan out wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Well I'll tell you how it doesn't bode well. It doesn't bode well if numbers don't come back like they're shooting for. Even if that is from the simple fact, once again, that certain candidates did not actually sit for the exam. 3rd grade level logic. How does it work? I don't even know anymore.

But I can assure you that a scenario like that won't bode well for any of us...
    The FDNY spent millions in recruiting efforts, and more African Americans and other minorities signed up for the exam than ever before. If this is true (the 70% no-shows), then they have nobody to blame but themselves and they obviously don't care enough about it to even take the exam.

I want this as badly as anyone. I paid for the cram courses. I put in the time to prepare, to study, to get a good night's rest the night before, to get to my exam early. I dedicate myself everyday to hopefully be a part of the greatest department in the world. As for as the actual exam goes, this isn't advanced physics or trigonometry we're dealing with here. It is at an 8th grade reading level exam with basic arithmetic with audio and visual instruction. Does the exam really need to be dumbed down even more than it already has?
    Last edited by Angelo_D; 03-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    The FDNY spent millions in recruiting efforts, and more African Americans and other minorities signed up for the exam than ever before. If this is true (the 70% no-shows), then they have nobody to blame but themselves.

I want this as badly as anyone. I paid for the cram courses. I put in the time to prepare, to study, to get a good night's rest the night before, to get to my exam early. I dedicate myself everyday to hopefully be a part of the greatest department in the world. If 70% of the Vulcan candidates didn't show up for the exam, then they obviously don't care.

As for as the actual exam goes, this isn't advanced physics or trigonometry we're dealing with here. It is at an 8th grade reading level exam with basic arithmetic with audio and visual instruction. Does the exam really need to be dumbed down even more than it already has?

Again man, you're preaching to the choir. A whole hell of a lot of did the same exact things that you just described with 6019. According to the courts, it does not matter if they have nobody to blame but themselves for not actually sitting for and/or taking this seriously. It's literally all about numbers. No matter how physically impossible those numbers are to attain without, ya know, people actually taking the test. IMO quotas and quotas alone are the end game. I prey that this doesn't happen, trust me. But like I said pages back, I'm (a lot of us) pretty jaded at this point.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    The FDNY spent millions in recruiting efforts, and more African Americans and other minorities signed up for the exam than ever before. If this is true (the 70% no-shows), then they have nobody to blame but themselves.

I want this as badly as anyone. I paid for the cram courses. I put in the time to prepare, to study, to get a good night's rest the night before, to get to my exam early. I dedicate myself everyday to hopefully be a part of the greatest department in the world. If 70% of the Vulcan candidates didn't show up for the exam, then they obviously don't care.

As for as the actual exam goes, this isn't advanced physics or trigonometry we're dealing with here. It is at an 8th grade reading level exam with basic arithmetic with audio and visual instruction. Does the exam really need to be dumbed down even more than it already has?
    Hey buddy you're preaching to the choir here. The class that was supposed to go in with me was between 20-30 pct minority. The exam at that juncture had the highest percentage of minorities ever to take it, but the judge had a problem there. I don't want to even guess what goes in that guy's mind, but those numbers obviously weren't good enough for him. I guess just do your best and that's all you can control here.

Just curious....does anyone know if the Judge's nephew is supposed to take this exam too?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Hey buddy you're preaching to the choir here. The class that was supposed to go in with me was between 20-30 pct minority. The exam at that juncture had the highest percentage of minorities ever to take it, but the judge had a problem there. I don't want to even guess what goes in that guy's mind, but those numbers obviously weren't good enough for him. I guess just do your best and that's all you can control here.

Just curious....does anyone know if the Judge's nephew is supposed to take this exam too?
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Again man, you're preaching to the choir. A whole hell of a lot of did the same exact things that you just described with 6019. According to the courts, it does not matter if they have nobody to blame but themselves for not actually sitting for and/or taking this seriously. It's literally all about numbers. No matter how physically impossible those numbers are to attain without, ya know, people actually taking the test. IMO quotas and quotas alone are the end game. I prey that this doesn't happen, trust me. But like I said pages back, I'm (a lot of us) pretty jaded at this point.
    It is all about the final numbers. In the end, all you can do is do well on the exam and hope for the best but expect the worst. That's the mindset of alot of us right now.

Forum Member

I feel bad for the minorities who were a part of 6019. They studied, got a score worthy of acceptance but were told, "Others of your race didn't score high enough so you can't be a firefighter." If that's not a skin color-based kick in the oblongs, I don't know what it.

Either way, you'll go nuts trying to predict the future. The judge may get some pressure from his bosses and he may approve the test results. He may also hault all proceedings. You won't know until you're training at the Rock, or your filing for a lawsuit. Focus your attention on one step at a time. That is unless you have nothing else to do. In that case, type away!

Forum Member

This is the last time I'm going to say this. I want this job as much as people would want to win the the lotto. I have given up a few things to try to achieve this. I've put my wife and son through financial hell and I have invested alot of time getting physically ready as well as academically. So do I feel I deserve this job the answer is yes. Just like anyone of you i would love to get this job. So my opinion is this, I sacrificed alot and it's only the beginning, then you have the physical as well as the medical. Lets not forget the final frontier the FDNY academy where you really got to prove yourself. All of this is ball busting work that I want to endure. So if I want to consider myself quote on quote a superhero after I graduate the academy and after I help save someone's life then I will consider myself that even if no one thinks so.
    You "deserve" NOTHING!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    You "deserve" NOTHING!
    Hey tough guy come say that sh#it to my face. Your saying me and my family don't deserve anything come say that bullsh#it to my face.

Forum Member

You "deserve" NOTHING!

Hey tough guy come say that sh#it to my face. Your saying me and my family don't deserve anything come say that bullsh#it to my face.
    Seriously guys...seriously?

What are we 12 years old now?

Forum Member

What was your list # on 6019?

Forum Member

You think you're the only one with personal issues? I'll say it again, you deserve NOTHING! Tell one of the 110 from 6019 with offers of employment that were then taken away that you deserve it more than them!

Forum Member

You think you're the only one with personal issues? I'll say it again, you deserve NOTHING! Tell one of the 110 from 6019 with offers of employment that were then taken away that you deserve it more than them!
    You seriously got your signals crossed. I never implied that I deserve it as much as anyone of the 6019 candidates. In fact I feel bad for what happen with that class it was very wrong. But i do know that all I can do is study and train hard to better my chances of getting hired thats all. Now I'm heading down the same road as the 6019 candidates and I see my struggles and whatever else I will endure and yes it would suck if this bs happened again. But its also wrong of you to say I don't deserve it.

Forum Member

Does anyone have a site that has some practice personality Q's? Or if not practice Q's, covers the topic in depth? I've gone over The Vulcan's prep so many times reviewing actual questions from there is useless at this point lol. I spent most of the afternoon trying to find some PSI examples but there isn't anything out there (that I could find).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Does anyone have a site that has some practice personality Q's? Or if not practice Q's, covers the topic in depth? I've gone over The Vulcan's prep so many times reviewing actual questions from there is useless at this point lol. I spent most of the afternoon trying to find some PSI examples but there isn't anything out there (that I could find).
    I tried looking as well but I didn't have much luck

Forum Member

Just to shoot you guys some info, Took the exam yesterday, of the 9 that were supposed to test, 6 including myself showed up, and the test proctor said that on st patty's day only 5 of 9 showed up. There was not any minorities for my test slot. So, don't let the 61,000 who signed up for the test scare anyone. I have a feeling the final numbers will be 35-40,000, still a lot, but it won't be 61,000

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Just to shoot you guys some info, Took the exam yesterday, of the 9 that were supposed to test, 6 including myself showed up, and the test proctor said that on st patty's day only 5 of 9 showed up. There was not any minorities for my test slot. So, don't let the 61,000 who signed up for the test scare anyone. I have a feeling the final numbers will be 35-40,000, still a lot, but it won't be 61,000
    Where was your test at? I took it on St. Paddys day and there were definitely more that 75 people there.

Forum Member

You seriously got your signals crossed. I never implied that I deserve it as much as anyone of the 6019 candidates. In fact I feel bad for what happen with that class it was very wrong. But i do know that all I can do is study and train hard to better my chances of getting hired thats all. Now I'm heading down the same road as the 6019 candidates and I see my struggles and whatever else I will endure and yes it would suck if this bs happened again. But its also wrong of you to say I don't deserve it.

Dude just stop it already. Nobody deserves anything untill they pass a test, physical, background, and medical. Doesnt look like you even completed the first step. Chill out.

MembersZone Subscriber

R

Yea now I want the job more than ever. This is what I want even if it kills me on the first day on the job. I want to forever be known as a hero. There's no Hero's in my family and I will be the first one. All who want to train with me pm and I will give you more info. I promise you'll be better prepared for this test. If your scared of any job you do then you'll never be good at it. No one should ever be afraid of anything they are going to do in life. Remember you can die walking down the street.
    Seriously?
    I guarantee you that NOBODY on this job wants to or even considers themselves a "hero".
    Be a hero to your family, but NEVER put yourself above any others.

If that is what you want, look into another line of work.

Forum Member

great article, worth the 5 minutes to read. If only more people felt this way.

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/marcus/120322

Forum Member

Took the exam today. Will stay away from specifics, but to reiterate what was suggested by the Vulcans, the prep session, and Don McNea - study the videos closely and take notes. Also take all of the time allotted, don't rush through it. If you have extra time, USE IT.

Also, I have the Prep Guide from Don McNea. Its nearly identical to the Vulcan books, just more info. It wouldn't be right for me to distribute it widely, but the one copy I printed of it is up for grabs - whoever wants to come pick it up in Long Island City is welcome to it. First to PM me gets it.

Lastly - anyone who has taken the exam already, what did PSI tell you about getting your scores? They told me I'd be able to get my raw score in a day or so (!!!) but that final test scores (and maybe list number?) won't be available until May 11th. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? Has anyone else actually gotten their raw scores yet?

PS - anyone else who took 6019 will be relieved to know that this exam process was NOTHING compared to the $h!tshow that it was back in 2007. God, this was such a painless process compared to that.

Thanks, and good luck to are still waiting to take the test. Stay focused.

Forum Member

Hello all, my first post.
    Wouldn't it be ironic if in the future this " judge " has a fire at his house and all of the old 6019 test takers respond to the fire. I don't think he would mind what color we are at that point now would he.
    I understand all of bull**** my friends. I too was a 6019er. At the end of the day we just chalk it up as experience and see what this test brings us right? What's meant to be is what's meant to be. Things happen for a reason and at least we all have our family, or our healthy, or hopefully both.
    With that being said I also noticed at my test of about 150 people I only saw about 8 non whites. This goes to show you that regardless of race color creed or religion the ones of us who want this **** show face. Those of us who paid for the test are actually showing up.

Forum Member

i believe the physical should be based on a grade also.. rather than "pass/fail".. if you finish the course you obviously pass, and if you finish the course the fastest you get a higher grade.. why isn't it like this?

then based on both grades (written, physical) move on to the next level..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post

Lastly - anyone who has taken the exam already, what did PSI tell you about getting your scores? They told me I'd be able to get my raw score in a day or so (!!!) but that final test scores (and maybe list number?) won't be available until May 11th. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? Has anyone else actually gotten their raw scores yet?
    Whaaat??? No way I didn't hear that at all. I took mine almost a week ago, didn't get anything back. Did they say how you were getting the results? Through e-mail? Through their website? In the mail?

Forum Member

When I asked the guy on the way out he said as far as he knew no scores would be out until the testing period was over. Sounds pretty logical to me.

Thread Information