Like Tree9526Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    He wasn't lying to you. What he said is right, come back stay on an extra 3min. 5+3=8min and you're done
    Thats with 50 pounds right? because this is medical and not cpat?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Thats with 50 pounds right? because this is medical and not cpat?
    Yup 50lbs for 8min the second time. Heart rate doesn't matter at all unless you are under the target hr at the 5:12 mark

Forum Member

First off, "Full Metal" thank you for your service and everyone else o this forum. If your at 99% I don't think you will have a problem.

Second, all I can say is blow as hard as you can into that tube.
    I never had asthma but the histamine definitely triggers a reaction. If you drop 20% or more you are considered to have asthma. I've read in other forums of ppl with childhood asthma that passed with flying colors.
    Basically, the test doesn't lie.
    Good luck man

Forum Member

Judge Scheindlin pulled off the NYPD Stop and Frisk case because an Appeals Court ruled she showed bias in maneuvering to get the case. Sounds familiar right?

Boy do I love when these judges have to eat sh*t after they grandstand arrogantly thinking they are the all-knowing reformers of jobs they could never dream of doing.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

The OC list isn't Activated untill the first person is hired off of it so that would be July 29 of this year and the next OC test is 4 years from the Activation date. So maybe it's the same concept with EMS for promotional exams.

Forum Member

Can anyone express what a typical day at probie school is like? Including hours...

Forum Member

Passed the second attempt for the stair master today along with the four other guys. Now I just have to do the cpat next week and I'm all done.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    Passed the second attempt for the stair master today along with the four other guys. Now I just have to do the cpat next week and I'm all done.
    Congrats man!

Did you trained with a stairmaster or regular stairs?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    Congrats man!

Did you trained with a stairmaster or regular stairs?
    Thanks ! For training I primarily used regular stairs but tested out the stair master a few days ago to calm my nerves a bit. Stair master is definately a bit harder so I suggest using it any chance you get. But if you don't have easy access to one (like in my case) then just train hard on the real stairs. As long as you train you shouldn't have a problem.
    Spiderneck30 and VanCroon like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Can anyone express what a typical day at probie school is like? Including hours...
    Most of the instructors from the CPAT training broke it down during their Q/A's.

From what I understand, you're broken up into two squads (or groups) that I arrive at different times and have different schedules.

The early squad:
    1)arrives early and have roll at 0600
    2)Then PT (Physical Training)
    3)Followed by Instructional
    4)30 minute lunch (you have to brown bag it)
    5)Hands-on/Practical
    6)Roll/Dismissal

The late squad:
    1)Arrive early and have roll at 0800
    2)Instructional
    3)PT
    4)30 Min lunch
    5)Hands/On Practical
    6)Roll/Dismissal

Please don't reference this as a source. This is only an abstract from talking and listening to instructors during my time at the rock (CPAT training). Make one thing for sure, YOU HAVE TO ARRIVE EARLY. Those times are when you are marked here. Typically you form up outside in the beat-up parking lot and march in 30-60 minutes prior. That means if you're in the first squad, you have be at that parking lot by 0500. The biggest downside is, if you're one of those unfortunate few that have remedial, you stay an extra two hours. Remedial for practical or hands-on is on Saturdays. Wednesdays I think is the only day where you don't PT so you only PT 4 times a week. And you have quiz every other day and you must pass it with an 80. Its a grueling schedule but if you develop good habits, i.e. steady exercise, proper diet, great sleep schedule, it will work out in your favor. And remember: What have we always said is the most important thing? (Family) No, Breakfast!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    It's been left vague here for a reason. The hours are long and every day is tough.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Most of the instructors from the CPAT training broke it down during their Q/A's.

The early squad:
    1)arrives early and have roll at 0600
    2)Then PT (Physical Training)
    3)Followed by Instructional
    4)30 minute lunch (you have to brown bag it)
    5)Hands-on/Practical
    6)Roll/Dismissal

The late squad:
    1)Arrive early and have roll at 0800
    2)Instructional
    3)PT
    4)30 Min lunch
    5)Hands/On Practical
    6)Roll/Dismissal
    This isn't all that accurate. In a broad sense it isn't entirely wrong, but it's not accurate. Also, you probably shouldn't answer questions you don't actually have the answer to.

Forum Member

Yes, not accurate. Just come in with the mindset that they are long and physical, and you will be fine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    This isn't all that accurate. In a broad sense it isn't entirely wrong, but it's not accurate. Also, you probably shouldn't answer questions you don't actually have the answer to.
    You made it through the academy, so you've got every right to tell it like it is man.

I wouldn't mind if you told us a little bit about what probie school is like. What is a standard day at probie school like, if you could break it up into 10 or less parts to the day?

A lot of us list number 800 and under are so close that it is all we can think about (at least that's all I am thinking about at the moment).
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    You made it through the academy, so you've got every right to tell it like it is man.

I wouldn't mind if you told us a little bit about what probie school is like. What is a standard day at probie school like, if you could break it up into 10 or less parts to the day?

A lot of us list number 800 and under are so close that it is all we can think about (at least that's all I am thinking about at the moment).
    He won't give you anything, I tried before my class started, and for good reason. Just come in with your head straight, clean shaven, and listen to directions, and you will adjust to academy life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Workout

25 jumping jacks then 10 pushups (as a superset) x 5 This is your usual warmup at the start of PT

25 crunches
    1 minute plank

50 bicep curls
    30 tricep presses (do these three one after the other)
    30 shoulder presses

20 squats
    20 leg lifts
    20 supermans (lay on your belly and lift your arms and legs at the same time for 3 seconds)

Repeat the above sets twice but take a minute to rest between and sip some water you can do them in any order I think, but you always start with the jumping jacks. Follow this with a 3 to 5 mile run, alternating three minutes at a semi comfortable pace with two minutes as fast as you can go with good form. Stop halfway and do a few of the above exercises then finish the run.
    Knocked this out today.

Two rounds. On the second go I skipped the jumping jacks and pushups tho. (because it states its the "warm up" to PT). Shoulder press is what gets me man. Feels good though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post

I'm a strong believer that almost everything about the structure of the academy is done that way for a reason. One large component is the fact that as a probie information is on a need to know basis. There will be many days where you won't know what it is you're doing until you show up in the morning. At best you generally know only what's going on that day and maybe the one after.

You have to get used to dealing with the unknown. You don't know when you're first fire is going to be, or where it will be. The academy process helps prepare for that.

Best I will say is there's almost always PT every day. The much talked about FST occurs instead of PT one day a week, and then there are a variety of classes, both hands on and lecture based. Show up every day at least an hour early ready to go, and let them take care of the rest.
    ffbam24 and infolet333 like this.

Forum Member

Nobody is gonna truly tell us what goes on in there. I've been told by current firefighters I know that there are just no words to explain it. Yea, maybe you can try to outline it, but it seems like it's just something you have to experience to understand. Personally, I can't wait to go through the pain. June can't get here fast enough. I'm just gonna keep training hard, getting better every week.. And just enjoy what may potentially be the last holiday season that I know I will be home for Thanksgiving/Christmas etc lol. Being the probie means we will be working those days for a while for the senior guys. And I am happy to do it! Bet you guys didn't think about that! Lol. Take advantage of the extra time to enjoy "civilian life" and to be in the best shape of your life. That is all. If you asked me, this is all I need to know about the academy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFe...e_gdata_player
    Gives me chills every time lol. I hope that guy is still there.
    Last edited by grizzle; 11-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    infolet333 likes this.
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    Nobody is gonna truly tell us what goes on in there. I've been told by current firefighters I know that there are just no words to explain it. Yea, maybe you can try to outline it, but it seems like it's just something you have to experience to understand. Personally, I can't wait to go through the pain. June can't get here fast enough. I'm just gonna keep training hard, getting better every week.. And just enjoy what may potentially be the last holiday season that I know I will be home for Thanksgiving/Christmas etc lol. Being the probie means we will be working those days for a while for the senior guys. And I am happy to do it! Bet you guys didn't think about that! Lol. Take advantage of the extra time to enjoy "civilian life" and to be in the best shape of your life. That is all. If you asked me, this is all I need to know about the academy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFe...e_gdata_player
    Gives me chills every time lol. I hope that guy is still there.
    I seen that documentary a few years back. I loved every minute of it.

Forum Member

I wish it was accurate but that was all second-hand info. To be honest I only answered cause I was curious to see if anyone would correct it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    anybody else feel like there torturing you with that last email the FDNY sent. haha

"the fire academy is just three months away"

does this mean im in for January? haha
    Has anyone else below 600 NOT received this email? I usually get every email they send out but have'nt gotten this one and im list 56*. How worried should i be?
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Has anyone else below 600 NOT received this email? I usually get every email they send out but have'nt gotten this one and im list 56*. How worried should i be?
    I wouldn't worry about the emails, unless they are from your investigator, BHS, or Metrotech. I still get emails about starting the academy in Jan., and I've been in the academy for 14 weeks now. LOL
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Was this just the regular recruiter email??? if not I don't like that sign.,,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnocKnoc View Post
    The FDNY medical office doesn't provide you with the methocholine test. I took mine at Winthrop Hospital and contacted the office of Pulmonology.
    I wouldn't wait too long to get it done because I had to book it 2 weeks in advance. I remember that BHS wanted results within a month of my first medical date.
    do you know if most insurance companies cover the cost or how much it cost out of pocket?

Forum Member

That guy from the "FDNY 1" YouTube video is still there. They call him crazy Pete.

Thread Information