Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 619 of 1024 FirstFirst ... 119519569609616617618619620621622629669719 ... LastLast
Results 12,361 to 12,380 of 20478
Like Tree7772Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Does that also include people who are willing to sue to get on the job ? I just feel like everyone is cheating to get an edge now.
    Most people are not cheating to get an edge. Residency points do give people an edge but its not cheating. The ones who are cheating im sure will be weeded out. I also think there are a lot of honest guys on here who were city residents from the dates requested and maintained that residency further but dont have the exact documents because of certain circumstances. We will see how it pans out. I hope all the honest people out there get it, and the dishonest candidates get tossed.

On another note, Philadelphia Fire Department is giving a test. File period begins July 22nd.
    Last edited by brian_patrick; 07-21-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 101
    List #: 20xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYsFinest_28 View Post
    Does that also include people who are willing to sue to get on the job ? I just feel like everyone is cheating to get an edge now.
    This whole PH thing is nonsense, and completely racist. I took the 2007 test, and there was NOTHING racist or biased about it. In fact, I'm white and I didn't even do so good on it and wouldn't of got called off that list anyway.

But now I scored in the top 1000, and for people to get called ahead of me because of reverse discrimination is nonsense. Im a Correction officer, where whites are a HUGE minority on this job, but does anybody complain about that? Did I get priority hiring to get on the job because I claimed the department is racist and they needed to do something to increase the amounts of whites on the job?

Its nonsense, and I dunno what the hell this world is coming to. I have no problem with whatever race getting hired ahead of me, IF they scored better on the exam than me. But this priority hiring this is ridiculous, and I think us white guys need to start a class action lawsuit ourselves.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys first just want to say good luck to everyone - well everyone that isn't getting a free pass.

I'm in a situation and I'm wondering if anyone OTJ or someone with concrete knowledge of the hiring process can shed some light on something for me.

I read earlier in the thread that a DQ during the NYPD background check will NOT affect a candidates eligibility for the FDNY. Is this definitely true? I'm in a similar situation.

I'm currently going through the process for NYS Park Police, did the physical agility test last week, handed in my paperwork. After talking to the investigator about my background packet and 'integrity questionnaire' I started to feel a little uneasy about my chances and possible damage it could do to my main goal - FDNY.

Basically there are a few things that could get me DQed:

Traffic tickets (Only because of repeated no-seatbelt tickets, could reflect poorly on my character according to investigator)
    Prior arrest (Disposition was a plea deal down to a violation from a non-violent class E felony)
    Polygraph - They are going to ask you questions about visiting illegal websites, downloading music/movies/software, prior drug use, etc.

I know (well I think I know) that FDNY will not automatically DQ you for an arrest. If I'm wrong someone please correct me. What I'm mostly worried about is that I'll fail the polygraph and will have a DQ on my record. If having this will **** up my chances of getting on with FDNY then I would rather withdraw myself from the NYSPP process.

Can anyone please shed some light? NYSPP is a great opportunity for a bridge job or a back up if I can't get on FDNY, but I'll turn it down if its going to ruin my chances.
    Last edited by Hammerstad; 07-21-2013 at 01:39 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    This whole PH thing is nonsense, and completely racist. I took the 2007 test, and there was NOTHING racist or biased about it. In fact, I'm white and I didn't even do so good on it and wouldn't of got called off that list anyway.

But now I scored in the top 1000, and for people to get called ahead of me because of reverse discrimination is nonsense. Im a Correction officer, where whites are a HUGE minority on this job, but does anybody complain about that? Did I get priority hiring to get on the job because I claimed the department is racist and they needed to do something to increase the amounts of whites on the job?

Its nonsense, and I dunno what the hell this world is coming to. I have no problem with whatever race getting hired ahead of me, IF they scored better on the exam than me. But this priority hiring this is ridiculous, and I think us white guys need to start a class action lawsuit ourselves.
    I get your frustration but the way it's coming out sounds wrong. I also took 6019 would have been hired within the life of the list, took this test and am in the top 350. I'm minority and am being skipped over the same way you are. Your post just seems like it seeks to separate. If anyone has the right to be upset about the ph situation it's the people from 6019 or the people that if the courts hired at the 2:5 or 3:5 ratio with ph and oc would have been in this class. Did you even get a packet yet?
    FDsouthbxNY and FuDsNmYc like this.

Forum Member

Whats up guys, hope everyone is having a good and safe weekend so far...can anyone confirm or deny if Yonkers is an acceptable place to reside in and still work for fdny? I know that the NOE states that you must be a resident of any of the 5 boroughs or any of the surrounding counties but someone told me that yonkers is excluded somehow...anyway, i just wanted to confirm before i decide to move to yonkers

Forum Member

I didn't see anything about not living in Yonkers, its part of Westchester County which is a acceptable county. This is from there website.......
    Be a resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City, or live in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk or Westchester County;
    If you do move to Yonkers, take the YFD test, that's a very good department and pays well also.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 07-21-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I didn't see anything about not living in Yonkers, its part of Westchester County which is a acceptable county. This is from there website.......
    Be a resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City, or live in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk or Westchester County;
    If you do move to Yonkers, take the YFD test, that's a very good department and pays well also.
    I believe they have the best salary in the country..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    They also laid off firemen and demoted officers.....great FD, great pay, but a totally crooked city.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

During orientation do you bring the manuals with you?
    Dont forget to complete the information work sheet in the back and to buy the money order!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I dunno, I like the guy who is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job. Speaking from my perspective as a city resident and city fireman, I just want the best guy. I don't care if he commutes from Forida. Residency points were a Vulcan invention.
    I hear you. But that's why I'd rather see the guy who scored a 97 with no points because he followed the rules on the NOE get on ahead of the guy who scored 98 or 99 with the points knowing full well he isn't qualified to get them... that and because I want to get on the job.

Forum Member

Where is this information work sheet? The only sheet I have filled out is the beneficiary form. Is it in the back of the manuals or the regulations for the uniformed force manual? I'm on my reserve active duty

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    They also laid off firemen and demoted officers.....great FD, great pay, but a totally crooked city.
    Yes, crooked indeed, but if you get in, it's good. They play those layoff games a lot, they hire the guys back sooner then later. But yeah, if you have a family, you probably don't want to play those games.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY-USCG View Post
    Where is this information work sheet? The only sheet I have filled out is the beneficiary form. Is it in the back of the manuals or the regulations for the uniformed force manual? I'm on my reserve active duty
    its in the last packet u received tells u about orientation. U have to get phone numbers social securities of ur kids spouses and so on.

OAK
    Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I get your frustration but the way it's coming out sounds wrong. I also took 6019 would have been hired within the life of the list, took this test and am in the top 350. I'm minority and am being skipped over the same way you are. Your post just seems like it seeks to separate. If anyone has the right to be upset about the ph situation it's the people from 6019 or the people that if the courts hired at the 2:5 or 3:5 ratio with ph and oc would have been in this class. Did you even get a packet yet?
    I didn't get a packet yet.. im in the 900's. no packet. And although the last list being cancelled wound up benefitting me since I was 7000ish on it, this whole priority thing does affect me. It affects me, because I took a fair test, scored fairly on it, have a good list number, and I deserve this job as much as everybody elseif not more than a lot of people, because I was always a hard worker, started working full time at age 16, and im dying to get out of my job, and because of priority hires, I have to wait longer to get this job, if I even wind up getting it at all. I've worked for a long time, paid my taxes for PLENTY of years. I paid for this test, I deserve a fair chance to get it. The 2007 test, what was racist about it? Did it have questions about Italian culture on it that gave people an unfair advantage or something? Its nonsense.

And if your being passed over for priority hires, its affecting you to. My job has VERY few whites on it, and I didn't get no priority hiring, I had to take the test, pay for it, and wait in line until my respective number was called. I didn't get priority hiring because whites make up a small percentage of the department.

I want to get out of my job, and work a respectable job asap. I've been playing fair my whole life, I shouldn't have to sit back now and be cheated on my opportunity.

Forum Member

You're not getting my point. I agree with you, but suggesting whites should band together is retarded. All candidates were effected believe it or not. You think priority hiring benefits me in any way? Some of us were rushing back and forth to our investigators to get paperwork in and and traveling an hour plus each way to cpat practice and psych appointments just to sit and watch others skip ahead. So yes it isn't fair trust me I've met some guys on here who busted their *** getting in shape for this class just to watch phs jump ahead, but the answer isn't to divide candidates into separate groups when we're all in it together and after the same goal
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by marc3071 View Post
    During orientation do you bring the manuals with you?
    Dont forget to complete the information work sheet in the back and to buy the money order!
    Does the paperwork say bring your probie manuals? Did the DIs ever mention it for tomorrow?

(Hint: I'm pretty sure the answer is no.)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    You're not getting my point. I agree with you, but suggesting whites should band together is retarded. All candidates were effected believe it or not. You think priority hiring benefits me in any way? Some of us were rushing back and forth to our investigators to get paperwork in and and traveling an hour plus each way to cpat practice and psych appointments just to sit and watch others skip ahead. So yes it isn't fair trust me I've met some guys on here who busted their *** getting in shape for this class just to watch phs jump ahead, but the answer isn't to divide candidates into separate groups when we're all in it together and after the same goal
    well then all of us eligible candidates should band together and take a class action suit and appeal the priority hiring decision.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    well then all of us eligible candidates should band together and take a class action suit and appeal the priority hiring decision.
    Merit matters is the group I believe

Forum Member

I have 2 questions I'd like to ask, the 1st is about the physical agility test, and the second is about aspect of the job itself, that im hoping somebody who is on the job can answer.

#1) what is the CPAT like, what does it entail? what are some things I should be focusing on now in my workout program?

#2) what is the job like in terms of hours and pay? Is there a lot of over time to do to help boost the salary? Because my current city job, the paycheck deductions are so high with taxes and paying into the pension, that I need the overtime sometimes to have a decent take home pay.

Does the FDNY allow for you to do mutual to take time off? and what is Fringe pay?

Thread Information