Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    gramma nazi!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Hi guys.

Not sure if this helps anyone here, but I successfully postponed my CPAT (I have a broken foot). If anyone has any questions about what I did feel free to PM me.

The next step will be postponing the medical, though that should be easier through FDNY and not DCAS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    gramma nazi!!!!!!!

It's not the first time. I don't have anything else good to say here
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    So why change departments why not just stay there and make lots of over time , you have seniority, you probably off probation , take promotions and become someone in your department make your name ring bells in doc ... Be the best Nyc boldest !!!! How that sounds !!!
    I signed up for the promotion test at DOC (before I got called for FD I signed up). But now that I got called for FD, i'd much rather do that, because its more productive work, and a much better class of people to work with right now. In terms of my department, you can't fix what's already broken, so i'd rather leave.

This manhatten medic guy, who got hired off a promo list, has the nerve to try and tell me off because I stressed that i'd much rather get hired asap. EMS salary really doesn't pay much at all, so its really a no brainer to go from ems to fire fighter. Corrections you make $120K easily at top pay, so me stressing the point that i'd rather get hired sooner than later by FD, is I don't wanna stay with corrections, make it to $120K top salary, be long off probation, just to start all over again at $40k and be on probation again.

And anyone who says im talking non sense obviously doesn't know anything about civil service. civil service has a lot of politics involved. And you can't take a test for every promotion, at some ranks promotions are awarded on recommendation, and I've personally witnessed, at 3 different departments, people who were awarded a promotion, who had less time on the job and were less deserving than another because of diversity.

I see this trend starting to come to FDNY.

Anybody whose got a problem with me saying this, step into a civil service job and see how it is before you open your mouth.

Forum Member

Am I the only one that counts down everyday how many more months until July ? And what sucks is, no matter how many times I count it only changes about once every 30 days.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Am I the only one that counts down everyday how many more months until July ? And what sucks is, no matter how many times I count it only changes about once every 30 days.
    doing the exact same thing!

Forum Member

when do you guys think people will start getting the next set of notices (what ever that may be) or at least an idea that they may be in this January class. I would think some time in November right?

And what would be the next set of notices for them, or would it be hearing from their investigator?

Forum Member

Based on last January's class, I think by mid - late December, run letters should begin being sent out.

MM can you confirm this?
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    when do you guys think people will start getting the next set of notices (what ever that may be) or at least an idea that they may be in this January class. I would think some time in November right?

And what would be the next set of notices for them, or would it be hearing from their investigator?
    when I went to the rock for the training session, the instructor told our group that run letters will go out early January and academy will be about 2 weeks later in late January.

Forum Member

Is there any way that guys will get a good indication of then really having a shot being in the class or getting a run letter prior to the actual letters going out?

Just trying see when we will have a decent idea of how high this class will go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    methacholine test on monday morning at 8am. I would be lying if i said i wasnt nervous : /
    how did the test go? could you tun you pm on? i have a couple of questions if you don't mind

Forum Member

Is there any way that guys will get a good indication of then really having a shot being in the class or getting a run letter prior to the actual letters going out?

Just trying see when we will have a decent idea of how high this class will go.
    The instructor at the rock, the way he made it seem is it will be a last minute thing when you find out if you made the academy. He told us "don't quit your job or give notice anytime soon". Other instructors at the rock told us 700's have a very good shot at January. But my overall feel, based on what the instructors told us is its a last minute thing basically when you find out.

These civil services jobs are always a last minute thing, no department really gives you much notice when your going to start. Corrections you started on short notice, my friend in PD got called for academy 2 weeks before it started, and 2 other civil service jobs that offered me employment gave me the notice within a couple weeks of academy.

If your list number is in the top 1000 and you don't make January, then I'd say just highly anticipate july 14 and have the mind set as if its a definite you'll be in. If your border line January, from what I heard at the rock they pretty much told us it will be a last minute thing when you get the run letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    The instructor at the rock, the way he made it seem is it will be a last minute thing when you find out if you made the academy. He told us "don't quit your job or give notice anytime soon". Other instructors at the rock told us 700's have a very good shot at January. But my overall feel, based on what the instructors told us is its a last minute thing basically when you find out.

These civil services jobs are always a last minute thing, no department really gives you much notice when your going to start. Corrections you started on short notice, my friend in PD got called for academy 2 weeks before it started, and 2 other civil service jobs that offered me employment gave me the notice within a couple weeks of academy.

If your list number is in the top 1000 and you don't make January, then I'd say just highly anticipate july 14 and have the mind set as if its a definite you'll be in. If your border line January, from what I heard at the rock they pretty much told us it will be a last minute thing when you get the run letter.
    You'll know if you're in the class a couple of weeks before it starts because you will get a letter for the run. When he says don't quit your job he's not necessarily saying that because you will find out a day or two before the class, he saying that because anything could happen at the last minute, The glass could get canceled, postpones, for what happened years ago to so many of us guys on the 6019 list.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

You'll know if you're in the class a couple of weeks before it starts because you will get a letter for the run. When he says don't quit your job he's not necessarily saying that because you will find out a day or two before the class, he saying that because anything could happen at the last minute, The glass could get canceled, postpones, for what happened years ago to so many of us guys on the 6019 list.
    what I was trying to tell you was from what the guy said, you will get the run letter 2 weeks before academy starts.. so you wont know your in academy until 2 weeks before it starts.

Forum Member

what I was trying to tell you was from what the guy said, you will get the run letter 2 weeks before academy starts.. so you wont know your in academy until 2 weeks before it starts.
    oh ok I thought when you were saying last minute as in a day or two before the run.

I know the run letter is the definite sign that your in the class, what im interested in is when can we expect guys to have a pretty good idea that there in or not. Will they get a good indication possibly by there investigators or some other way this month or no?

Forum Member

oh ok I thought when you were saying last minute as in a day or two before the run.

I know the run letter is the definite sign that your in the class, what im interested in is when can we expect guys to have a pretty good idea that there in or not. Will they get a good indication possibly by there investigators or some other way this month or no?
    Yeah I've heard the first or second week of January is when the run letters will be going out. But if MM could confirm how early before his class he got his run letter that would give us a better idea of how much earlier we'll hear from them.

But as for hearing anything else BEFORE those run letters, I don't think so. Like I posted before, I had spoken to Mrs.Quinn last week. She basically told me that we need to sit tight and just be patient. (which in my opinion is the hardest step of the hiring process). She said that every candidate is in the dark as of now.

For someone in my position (Done with all steps. Just waiting on personal references letters to go out and get sent back) I don't think I will hear anything until that first or second week of January.. which blows lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Yeah I've heard the first or second week of January is when the run letters will be going out. But if MM could confirm how early before his class he got his run letter that would give us a better idea of how much earlier we'll hear from them.

But as for hearing anything else BEFORE those run letters, I don't think so. Like I posted before, I had spoken to Mrs.Quinn last week. She basically told me that we need to sit tight and just be patient. (which in my opinion is the hardest step of the hiring process). She said that every candidate is in the dark as of now.

For someone in my position (Done with all steps. Just waiting on personal references letters to go out and get sent back) I don't think I will hear anything until that first or second week of January.. which blows lol.
    not the answer I was looking for!! lol

Thanks for the reply.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post

I don't understand this reference letter situation. My reference letters went out and were filled by my references. Then they were sent back and my investigator confirmed she had them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    I don't understand this reference letter situation. My reference letters went out and were filled by my references. Then they were sent back and my investigator confirmed she had them.
    Every investigator sends them out on their own time, there's no time table of when they need to be done so whenever the investigator wants to they send them out.

Forum Member

you wont know ahead of time when and if your going to be in the class. your investigator isn't going to call you and tell you your going to be in January.. your investigator sending out reference letters isn't a sign your going to be in January, and your investigator not sending out the letters isn't a sign your not going to be in. My friend had his investigator send out all his stuff a year ago and he still waiting to get in (list # 4oo ish).

You wont know your getting in until you get that run letter which will be 2 weeks before academy. Theres no other telling sign that you'll be getting in other than that which is a guarantee your in class (when you pass run of course)

Forum Member

Default Fd

I signed up for the promotion test at DOC (before I got called for FD I signed up). But now that I got called for FD, i'd much rather do that, because its more productive work, and a much better class of people to work with right now. In terms of my department, you can't fix what's already broken, so i'd rather leave.

This manhatten medic guy, who got hired off a promo list, has the nerve to try and tell me off because I stressed that i'd much rather get hired asap. EMS salary really doesn't pay much at all, so its really a no brainer to go from ems to fire fighter. Corrections you make $120K easily at top pay, so me stressing the point that i'd rather get hired sooner than later by FD, is I don't wanna stay with corrections, make it to $120K top salary, be long off probation, just to start all over again at $40k and be on probation again.

And anyone who says im talking non sense obviously doesn't know anything about civil service. civil service has a lot of politics involved. And you can't take a test for every promotion, at some ranks promotions are awarded on recommendation, and I've personally witnessed, at 3 different departments, people who were awarded a promotion, who had less time on the job and were less deserving than another because of diversity.

I see this trend starting to come to FDNY.

Anybody whose got a problem with me saying this, step into a civil service job and see how it is before you open your mouth.
    You will make about 120k at top pay with FDNY as well. Probably less once they do all the hiring from this exam and the OT dries up

Forum Member

you wont know ahead of time when and if your going to be in the class. your investigator isn't going to call you and tell you your going to be in January.. your investigator sending out reference letters isn't a sign your going to be in January, and your investigator not sending out the letters isn't a sign your not going to be in. My friend had his investigator send out all his stuff a year ago and he still waiting to get in (list # 4oo ish).

You wont know your getting in until you get that run letter which will be 2 weeks before academy. Theres no other telling sign that you'll be getting in other than that which is a guarantee your in class (when you pass run of course)
    the reason I ask is because when I was going into the class 6 years ago off the 6019 list my investigator spoke to me prior to the class telling me everything was good and if things go according to plan then I should be getting a letter for the run and be ready to go in the next class. Now, things didn't go according to plan but thats a whole other story. My point being that yes there is a chance that you will not you are expected to be getting a letter for the run. That may not happen this time around, but thats why I'm asking everyone's opinion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    how did the test go? could you tun you pm on? i have a couple of questions if you don't mind
    i jus turned my PM on. the test was ok, took about an hour. One of the nurses from metrotech called me this morning telling me that they received the results and that they want me to see their pulmonologist doctor. do you guys think that is a good or bad sign? thanks
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    You will make about 120k at top pay with FDNY as well. Probably less once they do all the hiring from this exam and the OT dries up
    lol what? where did you get this figure from

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    i jus turned my PM on. the test was ok, took about an hour. One of the nurses from metrotech called me this morning telling me that they received the results and that they want me to see their pulmonologist doctor. do you guys think that is a good or bad sign? thanks
    wouldnt let me pm you for some reason.

did they let you see what youy scored? did you score under the 20%

Thread Information