Like Tree11331Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    I swear if one more person mentions money on here, I'm going make it my mission to find you and weed you out. If you're money hungry, find a different line of work. Everyone has a family, home blah blah blah. Everyone has responsibilities, I get that. Nobody cares though. Fires don't give a dam how much money you make. I'm personally taking a $90,000 pay cut, whoopity do. I'd do this job for nothing if had to.
    Money isn't everything, and this job is a much better choice than other jobs that pay more... but don't act like money is not an issue here and you'd do the job for nothing. Anybody with any job obviously wants to be able to provide for family and have a nice family life... You don't need the job to make you rich by any means, but making sure you can have a decent family life, nothing wrong with that.

And if money wasn't an issue at all here, and you should only be here for the love of the job like every fire fighter, than the fdny job wouldn't pay what it does. they bargained for their pay raise years ago when the job paid considerably less, if money meant nothing, why didn't they just sit back and say "we don't mind getting paid much less while other departments are getting big raises because we love our job so much".
    FDNY4Life likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Sure

VanCroon: who gave you that diagnosis? I wouldn't self diagnose running related pains from the internet. See a doctor and let it rest until you find out what it is for sure.
    Lol. Listen to him. I did the same thing and thought for a while I had a hip fracture. Turns out it was not the case, an actual doctor diagnosed it as a bruised (insert some name of a muscle that is close to the outer hip bone which I can't pronounce nor can I even spell here.) and I felt fine ever since.

Forum Member

does anyone know how is it that they go about the medical appeal process for any one part of the medical?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    does anyone know how is it that they go about the medical appeal process for any one part of the medical?
    Sent you a pm

Forum Member

Hey, quick question to anyone whom has already gone through the hiring process or is currently in the middle of it. Actually I'll narrow it down to just any former military guys in those categories. Does anyone have any idea if TBI with PTSD (both diagnosed) will result in a DQ? I'm seeing a therapist and doing yoga, you name it I'm attempting it. But I'm aware that some city and federal jobs will not hire you. I'm going to be honest with them just wondering. Thanks.

Forum Member

Hey guys, can somebody please give me a brief description of the medical. I know its the stepmill, but what exactly does it entail

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Hey guys, can somebody please give me a brief description of the medical. I know its the stepmill, but what exactly does it entail
    I believe an overall physical with blood work, then the stair master to measure heart rate. It's about 3 mins 30 seconds no vest, and if your heart rate stays below your max, you get the vest. Most people fail that, which means you come back and do 8 mins with a vest measuring your general appearance. If you don't look like your dead after the 8 mins you pass. If I'm not on point with this someone please feel free to correct me.

Forum Member

Received a call from my mentor last night and he had some interesting news. Of the 4 mentees he was assigned, 2 have decided to not pursue proby school ( career moves, military, personal issues). He also mentioned that the other mentors he has spoken with had a similar situation occur with their mentees.

He didn't go into exact numbers with remaining EMT ,PH, and recycles but he believes the January class will go into the 400-500 range , at least.

Does anyone know exactly how far down they went on the OC list for this last class? And how many OC went into the academy?
    JDNY13 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

OAK
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnocKnoc View Post
    Received a call from my mentor last night and he had some interesting news. Of the 4 mentees he was assigned, 2 have decided to not pursue proby school ( career moves, military, personal issues). He also mentioned that the other mentors he has spoken with had a similar situation occur with their mentees.

He didn't go into exact numbers with remaining EMT ,PH, and recycles but he believes the January class will go into the 400-500 range , at least.

Does anyone know exactly how far down they went on the OC list for this last class? And how many OC went into the academy?
    Total of 318, 123 priority hires, 175 EMS Promos, and 20 guys off of the OC list. I believe they got up to 11x on the OC list for this past July class.
    infolet333 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    I believe an overall physical with blood work, then the stair master to measure heart rate. It's about 3 mins 30 seconds no vest, and if your heart rate stays below your max, you get the vest. Most people fail that, which means you come back and do 8 mins with a vest measuring your general appearance. If you don't look like your dead after the 8 mins you pass. If I'm not on point with this someone please feel free to correct me.
    3min without a vest, can't double your resting heart rate. You pass that then you wait 5 min vest up and go back on for 5:12 and heart rate can't go above 90% of your max. If you pass you're good, most people don't and have to go back and redo it. At the re do it's 3min without the vest doesn't matter if you double your resting Heart rate, 5 min rest then back on with a vest, if at 5:12 you're at or below your target heart rate you pass, if not you keep going until 8 min and as long as you make it and don't look like you're about to die the doctor will pass you.
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    Sent you a pm
    i tried replying to it but it said that i couldnt find ur user name
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    You fill out medical questionnaire.

They take your resting heart rate, then you do **** test, then ekg test, pulmonary test where you gotta blow hard into this tube for 8 seconds.. Stair master, 3 minutes no vest, if your resting heart rate doubles you fail, if it doesn't double, you wait 5 minutes, then go on again for 5:12, and if your heart rate hits a certain level that they calculate, you fail. (my advice, do something to get your heart rate up, because my resting rate was so low, that it doubled easily). they told us 90% of candidates fail this and have to come back. so its no big deal, when you come back, its a 3 minute warm up no vest, 5 minute break, then you go on for 5:12, if your rate doesn't reach the level they determined you pass, if your heart rate goes over, then you just stay on for 8 minutes to pass.

then you do vision test, which isn't reading numbers off a line, its reading patterns off a line so its more detailed than your basic vision test. then you do hearing exam, which again is very detailed because some of the tones go so low that you don't know if your really hearing it or imagining it. Then you have blood test. then TB skin test, where you will NEED to get the results read by a doctor or nurse in 48 hours and have the results faxed to the fdny medical. Then you do a FIT test where they put a mask on you and you gotta breath in with it on - this is where and why you need to be clean shaven.

and that's it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    You fill out medical questionnaire.

They take your resting heart rate, then you do **** test, then ekg test, pulmonary test where you gotta blow hard into this tube for 8 seconds.. Stair master, 3 minutes no vest, if your resting heart rate doubles you fail, if it doesn't double, you wait 5 minutes, then go on again for 5:12, and if your heart rate hits a certain level that they calculate, you fail. (my advice, do something to get your heart rate up, because my resting rate was so low, that it doubled easily). they told us 90% of candidates fail this and have to come back. so its no big deal, when you come back, its a 3 minute warm up no vest, 5 minute break, then you go on for 5:12, if your rate doesn't reach the level they determined you pass, if your heart rate goes over, then you just stay on for 8 minutes to pass.

then you do vision test, which isn't reading numbers off a line, its reading patterns off a line so its more detailed than your basic vision test. then you do hearing exam, which again is very detailed because some of the tones go so low that you don't know if your really hearing it or imagining it. Then you have blood test. then TB skin test, where you will NEED to get the results read by a doctor or nurse in 48 hours and have the results faxed to the fdny medical. Then you do a FIT test where they put a mask on you and you gotta breath in with it on - this is where and why you need to be clean shaven.

and that's it.
    lol just noticed they ** out the 1st test I mentioned.. its a "urine test" for drug test lol

Forum Member

lol just noticed they ** out the 1st test I mentioned.. its a "urine test" for drug test lol
    haha I was trying to figure out what the **** stood for.

Forum Member

hey i guys i am new to this site and have a few questions on this thread, considering most of you seem to know exactly what is going on. I took the 2000 OC test and scored a 99 w/o residency points or anything like that. My list number is currently 38xx. i was wondering if i should be optimistic about getting a call in the next couple years or if i am to far off from the top of the list to even be thinking about a call and should start thinking of the next test already LOL. any insight or opinion would be great thanks guys

once again test #2000 score 99 list #38xx

Forum Member

Psych tomorrow, anyone know If I should show up dressed nice or just casual, don't want to get ripped apart for not being properly dressed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    Total of 318, 123 priority hires, 175 EMS Promos, and 20 guys off of the OC list. I believe they got up to 11x on the OC list for this past July class.
    About 110 candidates off the OC list to fill 20 spots in the academy.

That makes it look very good for anybody list number 800 and below for possibly getting in January '14.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    haha I was trying to figure out what the **** stood for.
    lmao it stood for the 4 letter p word used to describe urine

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc1220 View Post
    Psych tomorrow, anyone know If I should show up dressed nice or just casual, don't want to get ripped apart for not being properly dressed
    if its the written you can dress casual. when I went for written plenty of people were in jeans and no1 cared.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rr100 View Post
    hey i guys i am new to this site and have a few questions on this thread, considering most of you seem to know exactly what is going on. I took the 2000 OC test and scored a 99 w/o residency points or anything like that. My list number is currently 38xx. i was wondering if i should be optimistic about getting a call in the next couple years or if i am to far off from the top of the list to even be thinking about a call and should start thinking of the next test already LOL. any insight or opinion would be great thanks guys

once again test #2000 score 99 list #38xx
    Good for you getting that score without residency. I got a 98 without my residency credits, so congrats. You should be optimistic about getting a call. As for the next few years, it's hard to tell. We have yet to have a class consist of 100% candidates from the Open competitive exam (exam 2000). As for getting a call, you will definitely get reached. My GUESS would be January 2015, but no body knows for sure. My advice to you would be; stick around until the July 2014 class, which will be the FIRST class to consist of 100% of the OC exam 2000. Get a ratio of hiring from that and you'll be able to determine which class you may make. But with a list # 38XX I would say you're in a good spot to a call by 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    About 110 candidates off the OC list to fill 20 spots in the academy.

That makes it look very good for anybody list number 800 and below for possibly getting in January '14.

Keep in mind the very top of the OC exam are usually military involved candidates who defer their class due to military tours and such so I wouldn't count on that to be an accurate representation of what ratio we're looking at.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Good for you getting that score without residency. I got a 98 without my residency credits, so congrats. You should be optimistic about getting a call. As for the next few years, it's hard to tell. We have yet to have a class consist of 100% candidates from the Open competitive exam (exam 2000). As for getting a call, you will definitely get reached. My GUESS would be January 2015, but no body knows for sure. My advice to you would be; stick around until the July 2014 class, which will be the FIRST class to consist of 100% of the OC exam 2000. Get a ratio of hiring from that and you'll be able to determine which class you may make. But with a list # 38XX I would say you're in a good spot to a call by 2015.

Keep in mind the very top of the OC exam are usually military involved candidates who defer their class due to military tours and such so I wouldn't count on that to be an accurate representation of what ratio we're looking at.
    Couldn't agree more. For those scores the ratio isn't a good indication. Most are deferring because of active duty

Forum Member

Money isn't everything, and this job is a much better choice than other jobs that pay more... but don't act like money is not an issue here and you'd do the job for nothing. Anybody with any job obviously wants to be able to provide for family and have a nice family life... You don't need the job to make you rich by any means, but making sure you can have a decent family life, nothing wrong with that.

And if money wasn't an issue at all here, and you should only be here for the love of the job like every fire fighter, than the fdny job wouldn't pay what it does. they bargained for their pay raise years ago when the job paid considerably less, if money meant nothing, why didn't they just sit back and say "we don't mind getting paid much less while other departments are getting big raises because we love our job so much".
    When talking about money you have to factor in the very generous retirement benefits. If they still exist it is half pay after 20 years. That means if you are making 80,000 a year and retire in 20 years you will get paid 40,000 a year with full health benefits I believe, all this for the rest of your life.

This is huge and because of this the FDNY job pays much more than many other jobs in the private sector when you factor in a retirement benefit like this.

For example if you wanted to buy a retirement benefit from a private source that paid you 40,000 a year after you retire when you are like 45 years old. It would probably cost you like 40,000 a year (because of the crazy low interest rates being paid today) for the 20 years you worked. If you add on health insurance to that you're talking like 45,000 a year.

This is why the FDNY pays more than most of you would ever make in the private sector. Add on 40,000 a year to your FDNY salary to properly compare what you are making compared to someone who is working in the private sector.

Remember that in the private sector you do not get pensions anymore. You basically have to rely on putting money In stuff like 401k's. This is why it makes no sense to work in the private sector anymore unless you are lucky enough to work someplace where you will get paid lots and lots of money. For the average college grad you will still be better off working for the government. This doesn't even factor the job security you get and low stress of a government job. All of this is just crazy and the reason why many state governments are going bankrupt.

So don't be stupid thinking NYC firefighters don't get paid a lot, they get paid very very well for the work they do and if that was not the case there wouldn't be huge lists to get on.
    Last edited by SirEd; 11-16-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone have a good template for the support documents? (how exactly to write down that you were supported by your parents) I have to go in and finish handing in my paperwork monday and want to be sure I give it to them how they want, so I don't have to go back again.

Forum Member

Anybody know if they send out qualified letters once you pass everything? I'm done with everything as far as i know including paperwork with investigator but I know there is a verification process and a review of all your explanations for tickets an arrests and whatever else?

Forum Member

Personal references letters FINALLY went out. Got a call from one of my references today. I can finally sleep easy.

All steps done now, just waiting on January

Thread Information