Like Tree9606Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Personal references letters FINALLY went out. Got a call from one of my references today. I can finally sleep easy.

All steps done now, just waiting on January
    good to hear man

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fd2000ny View Post
    Anybody know if they send out qualified letters once you pass everything? I'm done with everything as far as i know including paperwork with investigator but I know there is a verification process and a review of all your explanations for tickets an arrests and whatever else?
    no, I think you just have to wait for run letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin12345 View Post
    Does anyone have a good template for the support documents? (how exactly to write down that you were supported by your parents) I have to go in and finish handing in my paperwork monday and want to be sure I give it to them how they want, so I don't have to go back again.
    To Whom it may concern,

My (or our if both parents sign) son kevin was supported during his periods of unemployment from x/20xx - x/20xx by living at home with us, his parents. during this time, good ol' kevin was attending college full time.

thankyou
    signed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    When talking about money you have to factor in the very generous retirement benefits. If they still exist it is half pay after 20 years. That means if you are making 80,000 a year and retire in 20 years you will get paid 40,000 a year with full health benefits I believe, all this for the rest of your life.

This is huge and because of this the FDNY job pays much more than many other jobs in the private sector when you factor in a retirement benefit like this.

For example if you wanted to buy a retirement benefit from a private source that paid you 40,000 a year after you retire when you are like 45 years old. It would probably cost you like 40,000 a year (because of the crazy low interest rates being paid today) for the 20 years you worked. If you add on health insurance to that you're talking like 45,000 a year.

This is why the FDNY pays more than most of you would ever make in the private sector. Add on 40,000 a year to your FDNY salary to properly compare what you are making compared to someone who is working in the private sector.

Remember that in the private sector you do not get pensions anymore. You basically have to rely on putting money In stuff like 401k's. This is why it makes no sense to work in the private sector anymore unless you are lucky enough to work someplace where you will get paid lots and lots of money. For the average college grad you will still be better off working for the government. This doesn't even factor the job security you get and low stress of a government job. All of this is just crazy and the reason why many state governments are going bankrupt.

So don't be stupid thinking NYC firefighters don't get paid a lot, they get paid very very well for the work they do and if that was not the case there wouldn't be huge lists to get on.
    OT is included in pensions, that's why OT is a big deal. Guys I work with who are at top pay and retiring soon, do a lot of OT, and boost their salary up to $120-130k range. Your pension is they average out your 3 best years of your career, and then half that.

Plus you get a variable supplement when you retire, which is an extra $12k a year, on top of your pension.

Plus, working for the city, you can take out a deferred savings plan, which is almost the same thing as a 401k in the private sector.

So before FDNY 2000 list was even established, when I didn't think i'd have an opportunity to leave and thought i'd be with corrections - I was looking at a 20 year career, retiring with a pension of 60-70k, plus 12k variable, plus deferred plan.

Can't beat that. You can work a private sector job that pays 200k a year, and still have to work your whole life or can get laid off anytime. My friend's father worked in the private sector and made a huge salary and they had a huge house, when his father retired and the economy went bad, they had money issues, had to declare bankruptcy, had to sell big house and move into a much smaller house. My father worked for the city, made considerably less money than his father... when the economy went bad, my father still got his pension, still didn't have to worry, and went and bought another house paid in full, and went from owning 1 house to 2, while this guy had to downsize.

Can't beat working for the city.

Forum Member

And unlimited sick leave, forgot to mention that. Who else is going to give you UNLIMITED sick leave lol.

I've never called out yet, but unlimited sick leave is HUGE, because if I get hurt on the job and have to be out several months, or even if I get hurt OFF the job and have to be out several months, I still get a pay check.

And you know whats even more bizarre, you actually get paid more to be out injured, than to go to work, because you don't pay taxes on your check when your out injured. Working a $200k job in pvt sector, you get injured and have to miss work for several months, you better have that Aflac, which that also runs out at some point, because I doubt your job will pay you while your out.

Forum Member

Well OT is no longer pensionable with FDNY and seriously enough already with DOC stuff. No one cares. We're here for FD.

Forum Member

If I (or my kid) didn't have to eat, I'd do the job for free! It comes back to that old saying: You do what you love and the money will come.
    fftank21 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Well OT is no longer pensionable with FDNY and seriously enough already with DOC stuff. No one cares. We're here for FD.
    dude I was talking about city jobs.. and im pretty sure fdny pension does calculate OT.. get your facts straight
    Medic2312 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    If I (or my kid) didn't have to eat, I'd do the job for free! It comes back to that old saying: You do what you love and the money will come.
    no you wouldn't.. grow up peter pan
    Medic2312 likes this.

Forum Member

im sure a lot of people here waiting to get in to fdny, have normal jobs now where you work mon-fri 9-5 or close to it.. and even if you have to work a weekend, im sure you have holidays off, and have steady off days so it's easy to plan a life around.

FDNY you don't just get paid for the job itself, but its not a "normal" job. Your life revolves around your fdny schedule. You don't have steady off days, you don't have holidays or weekends off. You can't plan a simple dentist appointment next month without having to consult with your fdny schedule 1st.. you can't promise your kid you'll be there for the holiday or his/her birthday in a couple of months because you gotta see what day your schedule lands on.

FDNY you work 2 days, then have 48 hours off, which means you don't even get 2 full days off, before you gotta be back at work.

So anybody who makes any comments that they'd do the job for free, needs a reality check, and is talking nonsense. You obviously never worked a job that came 1st and your life revolved around it.

FDNY is a great job to be at, if your schedule has to revolve around it and you have to be at the fire house on Christmas, or other holidays, or in the heat of summer. And its a nice 2nd family atmosphere.

But remember, your signing the next 20+ years of your life away to something. To say you'd do that for nothing in return is a complete lie.

And if you really mean that, then you don't even need to join the FDNY, you can keep your current job and join a volunteer fire fighter house.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    dude I was talking about city jobs.. and im pretty sure fdny pension does calculate OT.. get your facts straight
    Fdny is tier 6 now and pensionable OT is one of the things that was lost.

And not all city jobs have unlimited sick and all the things you mentioned.

Forum Member

OT is included in pensions, that's why OT is a big deal. Guys I work with who are at top pay and retiring soon, do a lot of OT, and boost their salary up to $120-130k range. Your pension is they average out your 3 best years of your career, and then half that.

Plus you get a variable supplement when you retire, which is an extra $12k a year, on top of your pension.

Plus, working for the city, you can take out a deferred savings plan, which is almost the same thing as a 401k in the private sector.

So before FDNY 2000 list was even established, when I didn't think i'd have an opportunity to leave and thought i'd be with corrections - I was looking at a 20 year career, retiring with a pension of 60-70k, plus 12k variable, plus deferred plan.

Can't beat that. You can work a private sector job that pays 200k a year, and still have to work your whole life or can get laid off anytime. My friend's father worked in the private sector and made a huge salary and they had a huge house, when his father retired and the economy went bad, they had money issues, had to declare bankruptcy, had to sell big house and move into a much smaller house. My father worked for the city, made considerably less money than his father... when the economy went bad, my father still got his pension, still didn't have to worry, and went and bought another house paid in full, and went from owning 1 house to 2, while this guy had to downsize.

Can't beat working for the city.
    Yeah, even though some say the OT calculated into the pension is lost it is still a ridiculous pension that you will get. I didn't know about the variable supplement. Either way, if you're smart you should have no problem making captain or chief in 20 years and retiring with a pension of over 70K after 20 year. This is just absurd the amount of money they will pay you in the pension, and you still get social security.

I was looking more closely at the salaries and if you move up in rank and work the OT you are most likely going to get paid close to any of your friends who went the private route. And this does not even take into account the huge pension and health benefits that you will receive.

It is just crazy that anybody can be worried about how much the FDNY pays. The way things were you stand probably over a 50% chance of being out on 3/4 salary that is tax free before your 20 years.
    You spoke about the unlimited sick leave. Well, not only that but if you actually get hurt, and i'm talking nothing serious, you can retire at 3/4 salary tax free and also receive social security benefits.

I know some here don't want this to be made public, not that it matters. But the reason I am choosing the FDNY is that it blows away almost anything you will get in the private work force. Plus you have a fun job that is stress free. Nothing is worse than having a private job and knowing you may be fired at any time.

So to sum this all up, you have a fun job that does not require you to sit in front of a computer everyday. You get a ridiculous amount of money and on top of that a ridiculous pension. You get ridiculous job security, ahh my shoulder feels week, OK here is 3/4 tax free pay. All for a job that in many places in the country have a volunteer fire department. Think about that, a job that is so fun that many small towns have volunteer firemen.

We all know this here and the only people who have a problem with speaking about this publicly are the people who are worried that somehow they will lose this ridiculously generous GEM of a job if more people knew what they really get from it.

Forum Member

Fdny is tier 6 now and pensionable OT is one of the things that was lost.

And not all city jobs have unlimited sick and all the things you mentioned.
    TIER 6 (I could be wrong) but OT is included in the pension, only there is now a limit on it.

Im not tier 6 anyway so I don't fall into that category.

Forum Member

Sounds like you're just in it to play the system and get out on 3/4

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Yeah, even though some say the OT calculated into the pension is lost it is still a ridiculous pension that you will get. I didn't know about the variable supplement. Either way, if you're smart you should have no problem making captain or chief in 20 years and retiring with a pension of over 70K after 20 year. This is just absurd the amount of money they will pay you in the pension, and you still get social security.

I was looking more closely at the salaries and if you move up in rank and work the OT you are most likely going to get paid close to any of your friends who went the private route. And this does not even take into account the huge pension and health benefits that you will receive.

It is just crazy that anybody can be worried about how much the FDNY pays. The way things were you stand probably over a 50% chance of being out on 3/4 salary that is tax free before your 20 years.
    You spoke about the unlimited sick leave. Well, not only that but if you actually get hurt, and i'm talking nothing serious, you can retire at 3/4 salary tax free and also receive social security benefits.

I know some here don't want this to be made public, not that it matters. But the reason I am choosing the FDNY is that it blows away almost anything you will get in the private work force. Plus you have a fun job that is stress free. Nothing is worse than having a private job and knowing you may be fired at any time.

So to sum this all up, you have a fun job that does not require you to sit in front of a computer everyday. You get a ridiculous amount of money and on top of that a ridiculous pension. You get ridiculous job security, ahh my shoulder feels week, OK here is 3/4 tax free pay. All for a job that in many places in the country have a volunteer fire department. Think about that, a job that is so fun that many small towns have volunteer firemen.

We all know this here and the only people who have a problem with speaking about this publicly are the people who are worried that somehow they will lose this ridiculously generous GEM of a job if more people knew what they really get from it.
    fftank21 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    Sounds like you're just in it to play the system and get out on 3/4
    Hate to break it to you guys. For the guys getting hired now there is no more 3/4 it is 40%

Forum Member

I thought it was 44%? All the same though.

So many people here for the wrong reasons.

Forum Member

Yep, was like that when I was in the Corps

I thought it was 44%? All the same though.

So many people here for the wrong reasons.
    FuDsNmYc and Medic2312 like this.
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

no you wouldn't.. grow up peter pan
    Most FF's in this country are volunteers slick. Just a FYI.
    fftank21 likes this.

Forum Member

im sure a lot of people here waiting to get in to fdny, have normal jobs now where you work mon-fri 9-5 or close to it.. and even if you have to work a weekend, im sure you have holidays off, and have steady off days so it's easy to plan a life around.

FDNY you don't just get paid for the job itself, but its not a "normal" job. Your life revolves around your fdny schedule. You don't have steady off days, you don't have holidays or weekends off. You can't plan a simple dentist appointment next month without having to consult with your fdny schedule 1st.. you can't promise your kid you'll be there for the holiday or his/her birthday in a couple of months because you gotta see what day your schedule lands on.

FDNY you work 2 days, then have 48 hours off, which means you don't even get 2 full days off, before you gotta be back at work.

So anybody who makes any comments that they'd do the job for free, needs a reality check, and is talking nonsense. You obviously never worked a job that came 1st and your life revolved around it.

FDNY is a great job to be at, if your schedule has to revolve around it and you have to be at the fire house on Christmas, or other holidays, or in the heat of summer. And its a nice 2nd family atmosphere.

But remember, your signing the next 20+ years of your life away to something. To say you'd do that for nothing in return is a complete lie.

And if you really mean that, then you don't even need to join the FDNY, you can keep your current job and join a volunteer fire fighter house.
    "I've never worked any job where work came first and my life revolved around it." Said NO VETERAN WHO HAS BEEN DEPLOYED 6 TIMES EVER!
    fftank21, FuDsNmYc and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

so NOBODY knows how they go about the medical appeal process for whatever reason? i asked a few days ago, but i guess no one saw it or had any info so i'm trying again. lol
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    so NOBODY knows how they go about the medical appeal process for whatever reason? i asked a few days ago, but i guess no one saw it or had any info so i'm trying again. lol
    ... You failed the medical process ? ..
    Curious

Forum Member

That guy apples&oranges said to pm him when you posted that I believe

Forum Member

Stephensm: you do know how to send a pm, right? pm=private message.

Forum Member

I don't know.. but from what ive heard from other people in my group who had to appeal things, they give you a form what your on review for and you either see your own doctor, or a doctor they send you to, get whatever exam done, then fax the paper work to metro tech.

Forum Member

And you f*cking idiots wonder why none of the guys on the job post here anymore.

Thread Information