Like Tree10634Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exam 2000 View Post
    Hey guys, I need some help. I have a list number of 33xx with a score of 99 on exam 2000. Any opinions of when I might possibly start hearing from FD. Thanks..
    3-4 years.. wait and see what goes on with these next couple of classes. 33xx looks good because a lot of people seem to be getting knocked off. If they don't hit list number 2000ish by the end of 2015, then they might never reach 3000.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    he told me that she said that an appeal notice will come in the mail within the week or so and take it from there. im surprised not many people here have much info on the appeal process. i guess thats a good thing lol
    correct me if im wrong, but I believe I remember hearing when I went for my medical the 1st time, they told us if you fail the re-do of the stairs, you have ONE more chance within 30 days from the day you failed. They told us you can even come back as soon as the next day if you fail the re-do. I remember this because 1 candidate who failed at the medical had a real hard time just staying on for the 5 minutes, and he was concerned about being able to do 8 at the re-do.

So your friend failed the re-do once, or he failed the re-do 2 times, and is now waiting for an appeal letter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    correct me if im wrong, but I believe I remember hearing when I went for my medical the 1st time, they told us if you fail the re-do of the stairs, you have ONE more chance within 30 days from the day you failed. They told us you can even come back as soon as the next day if you fail the re-do. I remember this because 1 candidate who failed at the medical had a real hard time just staying on for the 5 minutes, and he was concerned about being able to do 8 at the re-do.

So your friend failed the re-do once, or he failed the re-do 2 times, and is now waiting for an appeal letter?
    I dont even know his whole situation. he just told me that he will receive an appeal notice in the mail.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Sent my remaining paperwork to my investigator by e-mail, fax, and regular mail. She actually replied to my e-mail promptly. She said she received my paperwork and that she will review the paperwork with the rest of my file at a later date. Sounds like she hasn't even started looking into me but at least she replied back lol.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

I'm sorry maybe I am an ******* for saying this but if you can't do 8 mins on the stair master with the vest on, maybe a fireman isn't the greatest career path for that person. I believe the academy and day to day on the job is a million times more challenging.
    Dannypanigale and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    I'm sorry maybe I am an ******* for saying this but if you can't do 8 mins on the stair master with the vest on, maybe a fireman isn't the greatest career path for that person. I believe the academy and day to day on the job is a million times more challenging.
    I'm sorry maybe I'm an ******* as well for saying this ... But I agree with Brian

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I'm sorry maybe I'm an ******* as well for saying this ... But I agree with Brian
    Saying you need to pass required steps to get a job doesn't make you guys ********....I think you're both right and pretty swell.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    I dont even know his whole situation. he just told me that he will receive an appeal notice in the mail.
    can you please find out and give us an update on this.

I passed my re-do, 1 guy failed at the re-do, and he was waiting to see someone, while the ones that passed left.. None of the candidates asked him anything though about what's next.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Sent my remaining paperwork to my investigator by e-mail, fax, and regular mail. She actually replied to my e-mail promptly. She said she received my paperwork and that she will review the paperwork with the rest of my file at a later date. Sounds like she hasn't even started looking into me but at least she replied back lol.
    that's good.. My investigator sucks. She didn't even look into my file when I called, she asked me "did you give me everything I need? ok good i'll call you then if I need anything".

This is a problem, she shouldn't be asking me this, she should be looking into my folder. It's not my job to tell her I gave her everything she needs, because as far as I know, I THINK I gave her everything she needs, but she could of lost something, or could of forgot about something. I gave her everything she asked for, but it would of been nice if she could of atleast checked my file to make sure its all there nothing additional she needs.

Forum Member

I would consider the folks above me realists as opposed to *******s.

That stairmaster test is nowhere near as demanding as pulling up on scene, jumping off the rig, walking possibly 150' to the lobby entrance or more and climbing 8 flights with a water can, hook, scba and full bunkers, in bulky heavy boots. (Or hose rollup and control bag for the engine)

And to top it off, when you get up there you only fought half the battle. Its time to go to work and get the job done.

Fact is that test is done under controlled conditions, in sneakers, with no weight on your legs themselves at a set speed interval (which is slower than id expect anyone to climb stairs at a job)

I personally failed the first time around and im not ashamed of it. The actual heartrate requirement is idiotic. Nerves alone play too big a role in the testing process and get your heart rate cranking before you even set foot on the machine. There is no excuse for failing the 8 minutes though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    100% right guys. The stairmaster isn't overly challenging , and there is absolutely no excuse to fail the 8 minute re-do. The heart rate thing, yeah it happens to a lot, no biggie, but not staying on for 8 minutes, no excuse. Even if you can't do the stairmaster for 8 minutes, there's no excuse to not buy a vest, and sign up at the sportsclub gym for the discounted membership and practice.

Im in shape, but I've never done a stairmaster before, never worn a weight vest before this whole process started. when I 1st stepped on a stairmaster at the rock with 75 pounds, back in September, I was like Sh*t, this is pretty challenging. I better prepare so I KNOW im more than ready when the cpat and medical comes in the near future. So I bought a vest.

I'll admit in the beginning, I couldn't stay on for 8 minutes with my 60 pound vest. but after building up, this medical was not only easy to do 8 minutes, but I came into it KNOWING I was going to pass, so I didn't even have to deal with being nervous. Had I not practiced, Nerves would of definitely been an issue at the re-do.

There's no excuse for not being prepared for this. It's a Fire Fighter job, anyone who says they want the job, would be a fool to let it slip away because you couldn't buy a vest and spend a few hours at the gym each week to prepare.

No offense, but if anyone fails the re-do twice, that should be it, gone, off the list. 1 more re-do, ok, shyt happens, maybe you just slipped and lost your balance on the machine, but if you fail 2x at staying on for 8 minutes, that should be it. gone. finito.
    Last edited by John246; 11-19-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Hey guys, does anyone know how the academy is like,schedule-wise. For example, what time you get there, what time you get out, how many hours a day, how many days a week is it, stuff like that. Thank you guys for all the info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    100% right guys. The stairmaster isn't overly challenging , and there is absolutely no excuse to fail the 8 minute re-do. The heart rate thing, yeah it happens to a lot, no biggie, but not staying on for 8 minutes, no excuse. Even if you can't do the stairmaster for 8 minutes, there's no excuse to not buy a vest, and sign up at the sportsclub gym for the discounted membership and practice.

Im in shape, but I've never done a stairmaster before, never worn a weight vest before this whole process started. when I 1st stepped on a stairmaster at the rock with 75 pounds, back in September, I was like Sh*t, this is pretty challenging. I better prepare so I KNOW im more than ready when the cpat and medical comes in the near future. So I bought a vest.

I'll admit in the beginning, I couldn't stay on for 8 minutes with my 60 pound vest. but after building up, this medical was not only easy to do 8 minutes, but I came into it KNOWING I was going to pass, so I didn't even have to deal with being nervous. Had I not practiced, Nerves would of definitely been an issue at the re-do.

There's no excuse for not being prepared for this. It's a Fire Fighter job, anyone who says they want the job, would be a fool to let it slip away because you couldn't buy a vest and spend a few hours at the gym each week to prepare.

No offense, but if anyone fails the re-do twice, that should be it, gone, off the list. 1 more re-do, ok, shyt happens, maybe you just slipped and lost your balance on the machine, but if you fail 2x at staying on for 8 minutes, that should be it. gone. finito.
    The problem is that this time around a numerous amout of people don't have the right knowledge of the whole process ... And that's fine because I didn't know, you didn't know and what you went and do you
    Went and prepared yourself ... Others don't care to prepare themselfs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Hey guys, does anyone know how the academy is like,schedule-wise. For example, what time you get there, what time you get out, how many hours a day, how many days a week is it, stuff like that. Thank you guys for all the info.
    Objection.
    Asked and answered.
    Sustained.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Objection.
    Asked and answered.
    Sustained.
    haven't heard form you in a while, good to see your still around bam.

Forum Member

Allright, I never saw it posted, but thanks anyway.

Forum Member

Anybody here into Master's Swimming? I just got back into it and keep upping the distances. It's a good way to give your legs a break 2 or 3 times a week if you have any ankle/knee issues. Was curious if anyone here is on a Master's team.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Anybody here into Master's Swimming? I just got back into it and keep upping the distances. It's a good way to give your legs a break 2 or 3 times a week if you have any ankle/knee issues. Was curious if anyone here is on a Master's team.
    I lifeguard a masters team. That basically means I'm on it right? haha

Swimming is a great way to keep in shape though. Awesome cardio. Can do some good interval training in the water too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Allright, I never saw it posted, but thanks anyway.
    They never really say, and for good reason. The answer posted was just expect long and grueling days

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    The problem is that this time around a numerous amout of people don't have the right knowledge of the whole process ... And that's fine because I didn't know, you didn't know and what you went and do you
    Went and prepared yourself ... Others don't care to prepare themselfs.
    I didn't know.. yeah I read this form, but I still wasn't sure what the hell a stairmaster that everyone was talking about was, because my gym never had a stairmaster, and I really didn't think it could be hard. When I went to the rock, the same training program that was afforded to everyone, that was when I saw the stairmaster and felt the stairmaster and weight vest, and decided I needed to take action to ensure I pass.

Forum Member

any one end up liking the weighted stairmaster for general conditioning after they have been hired. Meaning did you just end up liking it over other forms of training to stay lean and mean etc despite needing it for FD?
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Spoke to my investigator last week about my reference and employment verification letters never going out and my first reference got their letter yesterday. Just letting everyone know that if know your they didn't get on to keep on them.
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    any one end up liking the weighted stairmaster for general conditioning after they have been hired. Meaning did you just end up liking it over other forms of training to stay lean and mean etc despite needing it for FD?
    You know ever since I took the CPAT, I have been training with my weighted vest on my gyms stair master 3 times a week. Not only is it great cardio, but its also increasing my leg strength drastically. I have a 75 pound vest, and I go on the stairmaster for 15 minutes to finish my workout each time, and it's really one of the best forms of cardio we can be doing for this job in my opinion.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Sorry guys, I'm not attempting to beat a dead horse or anything. I've looked through prior posts, spoke with several friends on the job already and no one as of yet seems to really have a clear answer. I'm just wondering if anyone whom has recently gone through the process (and no, I haven't yet started: my list number is in the 15##, So maybe I won't even be called) and is prior military has encountered any issues during the psych evaluation if they have PTSD/TBI both documented - thanks any help or whatever would be much appreciated. Good luck to all getting ready for this next class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I'm still going through the process, passed the CPAT but still waiting for the medical, so I'm still training with the vest for the medical. But when I do take the medical I'm going to continue working out with best on the stairs because it has become such an important part of my work outs. And it is an excellent work out.

Thread Information