Like Tree9532Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #15676
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Awesome man, thanks for the advice. One more question. After experiencing the academy, what would you change about your training if you had to do it all over again? (for example, more focus on running, less focus on weights etc.)
    Controlled breathing, air supply is very important for evolutions, and especially FST. Also, for the facebookers, if you are very active on it, stay off of it, it could only lead to problems.
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY and Mtk123 like this.

  2. #15677
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Anyone have any suggestions on how to train to control your breathing? Between all the fitness buffs on this forum, maybe we can put together some workouts to focus on this.

    Speaking of fitness buffs, long time no hear from Jukez. We need his insight on the next class since he was spot on with the last one!

  3. #15678
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    Hey everybody, I bought 15 pairs of Smartwool socks from a store which was closing, these socks are the ones MM mentioned earlier in one of his posts. I got them at a discount. I'm preparing for the academy now and trying to get everything I need. If anyone is interested I have a few pairs left, just pm me. Not trying to make a buck, just trying to help out others any way I can. Keep training.
    Yeah I was told the same. Knee high socks because the ****ty rubber boots they give you chafe like a mawwwfu*ka. Any reason you're buying "smartwool"? Or will the cheap soccer socks from modells do the same thing?




    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Controlled breathing, air supply is very important for evolutions, and especially FST. Also, for the facebookers, if you are very active on it, stay off of it, it could only lead to problems.

    Thank you. I figure a lot of the HIIT workouts will help with this. Been working hard on this, thanks for the advice.




    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to train to control your breathing? Between all the fitness buffs on this forum, maybe we can put together some workouts to focus on this.

    Speaking of fitness buffs, long time no hear from Jukez. We need his insight on the next class since he was spot on with the last one!

    Jukez may be inspecting his 6-pack in the mirror (lol). But yeah, I miss that dude. He's helped me sleep at night with his info.

  4. #15679
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Also, bring extra pair of socks, they will get wet. You do not want to be stuck with wet socks all day long.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  5. #15680
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    112

    Default

    I personally never change my socks. Some guys find the time during costume changes but they may also find themselves with a roll-up. You guys will figure it all out. I wore Nike soccer socks and even when those things are dry they are a bitch to get on. You get used to it.

    My workout advise would be to work on whatever you're weak at. If you suck at running, you need to be running a lot the next two months. If you cant do many push-ups or maintain an isometric push-up position for a couple mins, I would work on that. If you just suck at everything.....you're going to have a hard time. Guys who are in decent shape will be ok. You need a strong foundation going in. The only thing that is going to prepare you for FST is FST. There is a lot of technique involved that you will learn.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  6. #15681
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I find time to change my socks when going back to class A shoes. I guess you have to do it fast, leaving them on for bunker boots doesn't matter because your boots will be wet inside. Sometimes I didn't, but you have to remember, they are going in the winter, and wet socks when it's 30 degrees or below is not gonna be fun. The only reason why I said controlled breathing is because he asked me what else he can do, I would hope he is working on the physical part of it.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 11-23-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  7. #15682
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Got my blood results back this week.. said my cholesterol is high.. anybody else get this? and It didn't say im on review or anything so I shouldn't be concerned about my qualification right?

  8. #15683
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Got my blood results back this week.. said my cholesterol is high.. anybody else get this? and It didn't say im on review or anything so I shouldn't be concerned about my qualification right?
    Like I said before, check your mail. If they are worried about it, they will send you a letter to go see a doctor for a second opinion, and all your doctor has to do is check your cholesterol (blood test, so it might take a few days for results)and write a note saying you are capable of doing the job.

  9. #15684
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    I think we all know what we're putting on our christmas lists...

    SOCKS SOCKS AND MORE SOCKS haha.
    JDNY13 likes this.

  10. #15685
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Like I said before, check your mail. If they are worried about it, they will send you a letter to go see a doctor for a second opinion, and all your doctor has to do is check your cholesterol (blood test, so it might take a few days for results)and write a note saying you are capable of doing the job.
    It didn't say anything about needing a note from my doctor.. it just advised me to see my doctor on my own for my own sake.. So Im guessing this doesn't mean anything in terms of me being put on review or anything.

  11. #15686
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    I got the same note, thinking I didn't need anything, and then the letter came. I'm just saying, keep you're eyes open.

  12. #15687
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Where do you live? I'd take skme
    Im in SI. These socks keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. MM, if you could chime in and state what these socks are good for again, couldn't find your posts.

  13. #15688
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I got the same note, thinking I didn't need anything, and then the letter came. I'm just saying, keep you're eyes open.
    what are you talking about? you got a letter putting you on review?

  14. #15689
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    [QUOTE=Mtk123;1391298]Yeah I was told the same. Knee high socks because the ****ty rubber boots they give you chafe like a mawwwfu*ka. Any reason you're buying "smartwool"? Or will the cheap soccer socks from modells do the same thing?

    I took the advice of MM, and went ahead and did some research on socks, (bored at work). These socks are top notch, but are expensive as far as socks go. I'd rather pay more for quality then buy knee high junk that wont last. I wear them when I go for runs, and they are comfortable and keep the sweat out of your feet. I had a chance to buy them for a discount because of a store which was closing so I bought them all.

  15. #15690
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    what are you talking about? you got a letter putting you on review?
    It was a letter stating that if I didn't get a letter from my doctors, I would be put on review. And it was just that my glucose level was high because I ate something.
    Don't stress it, if you get one, just go to your doctors, simple as that.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 11-23-2013 at 01:55 PM.

  16. #15691
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    Im in SI. These socks keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. MM, if you could chime in and state what these socks are good for again, couldn't find your posts.
    I think they are called Dri-Fit, and yes they do both.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  17. #15692
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default DCAS Not processing EMS????

    I am one of the last classes to get promoted from EMS to FIRE. Our ODA is Janurary 23rd and from what I was told we would be fine for the Jan 27th class. We finished the CPAT, Medical and Investigations. Now from what I hear is that their not going to process the class because of the run letters getting sent out in December. For some odd reason since we don't have 2 years they won't give us the run yet? This makes no sense because why would DCAS give us the CPAT and not the run. Anyone know any truth to this?

  18. #15693
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Controlled breathing, air supply is very important for evolutions, and especially FST. Also, for the facebookers, if you are very active on it, stay off of it, it could only lead to problems.
    you guys have no idea of how much problems you can bring upon yourselves and the fire dept. you should get rid of your fb and other social media accounts, in my opinion. save yourself the trouble, headache and embarrassment. Just remember once you get on this job, you are now viewed differently, people now pay attention to you, to what you do and what you say. you are no longer a regular civilian, you are a city employee and just remember there are a lot of disgruntled people out there, people that want something to complain about, people that make it their duty to embarrass you, to catch you at your weak point or what not. someone to blame, to scapegoat. and if your too ignorant to believe that, just look to what has happened already to people in the past. and if your really thick skulled too listen and cant help yourself but update your "status" and need to send a tweet every minute with nonsense maybe you should please reconsider taking this job.
    this job is a GREAT job please lets keep it this way.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

  19. #15694
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JFKills View Post
    I am one of the last classes to get promoted from EMS to FIRE. Our ODA is Janurary 23rd and from what I was told we would be fine for the Jan 27th class. We finished the CPAT, Medical and Investigations. Now from what I hear is that their not going to process the class because of the run letters getting sent out in December. For some odd reason since we don't have 2 years they won't give us the run yet? This makes no sense because why would DCAS give us the CPAT and not the run. Anyone know any truth to this?
    if you dont have two years on ems then you wont get promoted into fire. once you've made two years then you are eligible. the run is last qualification to get into the academy. it wouldn't make much sense to give you the run if you cant get promoted because you haven't technically haven't met all the qualifications. if they made you do the run and you had to wait for the following class for you to have reached two years on ems they would make you do the run again then i would imagine.

  20. #15695
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    if you dont have two years on ems then you wont get promoted into fire. once you've made two years then you are eligible. the run is last qualification to get into the academy. it wouldn't make much sense to give you the run if you cant get promoted because you haven't technically haven't met all the qualifications. if they made you do the run and you had to wait for the following class for you to have reached two years on ems they would make you do the run again then i would imagine.
    How wouldn't it make much sense? It says in the Exam Notification that you need 2 years on the DAY of appointment to qualify. The DAY of appointment is the 27th of January and not the day of the run.

  21. #15696
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    You're sworn in the week before so technically the hire date is the 20th. Don't know when you're oda for Ems is but maybe that's why.

  22. #15697
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You're sworn in the week before so technically the hire date is the 20th. Don't know when you're oda for Ems is but maybe that's why.
    The July class got sworn in on July 29th which was a Monday. Then started from there for the class. They didn't get sworn in the week before.

  23. #15698
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    I know you go in the week before for uniforms and such. I thought you were sworn in then as well. Could be wrong obviously.

    But that's the downside of the promotional list. They can hold you back if they feel they don't have enough staff to be able handle losing you. Sucks but true.

  24. #15699
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions on how to train to control your breathing? Between all the fitness buffs on this forum, maybe we can put together some workouts to focus on this.

    Speaking of fitness buffs, long time no hear from Jukez. We need his insight on the next class since he was spot on with the last one!
    i could answer this for you if you are more specific. When you say controlled breathing what are your goals, why do you think you need to control your breathing? When you run do you feel like you are breathing heavy?

    Ill just take a blind swing at this....

    If your problem is that you feel short of breath when running. Guess what. You're not in shape for that speed...

    A technique used and developed for marathon runners that decreased their times. Was to fully exhale all air in the lungs. and then take a normal breath in. I do not suggest using this technique as for how I have explain it is a watered down version.

    Here is the truth and I state it again so it is not over looked. Ur body will regulate its breathing for you. DONT OVER THINK IT. The old saying "im out of breath" is impossible. you cant be out of breath. Your maximum breathing tempo or the amount of air your pulmonary system can deliver is always higher than the amount of oxygen rich blood that your heart can pump.
    Last edited by coldblood92; 11-24-2013 at 12:55 AM.

  25. #15700
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Whose telling you this anyway jfkills? Investigator?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 45 users browsing this thread. (12 members and 33 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. america2788,
  3. CleverJ,
  4. DannyD0pe,
  5. Jackooze,
  6. JRodPizza ,
  7. kd44,
  8. MuscleHamster,
  9. NYgrad2012,
  10. prospect,
  11. ready4fire,
  12. thirdtimesacharm

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 132
    Last Post: 09-11-2014, 12:13 PM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register