Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 629 of 1157 FirstFirst ... 1295295796196266276286296306316326396797291129 ... LastLast
Results 12,561 to 12,580 of 23129
Like Tree9073Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    You stay in your tier, you do have to do 20 in FD and you start at base pay/vacation
    Interesting. I am actually a current city employee and I have a ton of annual/sick leave saved up. So if I would start at base vacation time as well as pay with FD, would anyone have an idea of what would happen to all my unused leave time by that point? Would I get a payout from the agency I'm with right now? Or would I lose it altogether when I hopefully leave for FD?

I expected to start at bottom pay, but I thought my leave would transfer over the same way it did when I recently switched from one NYC agency to another.

Thx

Forum Member

Lmaooo FDNY4life is funny, you guys need to chill a bit. Its not that serious. No need to tell the next person to fk themselves. I'm pretty sure u wouldn't say it in person, so don't say it here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neal2578 View Post
    Hey does anyone know if you can get DQ'd for having Sleep Apnea?
    this is a dumb question

Forum Member

For what it's worth, I heard the PH overall "look" in better shape than EMS (first class also) and the OC guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Interesting. I am actually a current city employee and I have a ton of annual/sick leave saved up. So if I would start at base vacation time as well as pay with FD, would anyone have an idea of what would happen to all my unused leave time by that point? Would I get a payout from the agency I'm with right now? Or would I lose it altogether when I hopefully leave for FD?

I expected to start at bottom pay, but I thought my leave would transfer over the same way it did when I recently switched from one NYC agency to another.

Thx
    It depends on your agency I guess? I worked with a city Agency before corrections, and they would pay us out for annual time we didn't use, but sick time you would lose.

So my suggestion would be find out and if its going to go to waste, use it all up before you leave

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    For what it's worth, I heard the PH overall "look" in better shape than EMS (first class also) and the OC guys.
    Well the last class had the most diversity ever, which perhaps means a lot of PH's, and it was the worst class ever (in terms of physical fitness) . Read that in the daily news.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Well the last class had the most diversity ever, which perhaps means a lot of PH's, and it was the worst class ever (in terms of physical fitness) . Read that in the daily news.
    Daily news isn't the greatest source for truthful info, I'd say its just above the post and national enquirer lol.

The last class didn't have any PHs in it, it was just EMS promos.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Daily news isn't the greatest source for truthful info, I'd say its just above the post and national enquirer lol.

The last class didn't have any PHs in it, it was just EMS promos.
    Post has great headlines though lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    I heard the same thing from a guy down at the rock. The few EMS left are just taking the promo because they can. I bet a majority of the drop outs will be EMS.

Forum Member

Wrong. Your time counts at the back end, it's still within the NYS pension system. What makes him a d-bag is asking what happens when you leave a job you don't have yet for another. You wanna be a Suffolk cop? Great, but you're asking in the wrong place in front of the wrong crowd. Move on and don't take a spot from someone who's trying to get on the greatest job on earth and stay in it.
    the guy is asking a question. how do you know what his motives are? relax
    FuDsNmYc likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I heard the same thing from a guy down at the rock. The few EMS left are just taking the promo because they can. I bet a majority of the drop outs will be EMS.
    I agree. Just don't understand how you can go into a "tough" academy looking like crap and expect people to believe you really want this. The worst part is that these drops would be taking more spots in the January academy and making people who really want this wait another 6 months..... That just infuriates me.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Post has great headlines though lol
    the post is very comedic lol

Forum Member

Im a C.O, im in the Tier 4 pension (20 and out) are you sure If I transfer over my time will count up front, because I thought now it always goes at the back end, and I was anticipating starting FDNY and having to start over a full 20 year career and push my retirement back, but leave with a 20+ pension with my DOC time at the back
    Don't quote me on this, but depending on when you joined the pension system as a CO you may be able to convert your pension to tier 2 should you make it to FDNY. When the FDNY Pension rep was explaining the stuff to us he made it sound like any pensionable time in the city/state prior to 7/1/2009 should qualify you to convert your pension to tier 2. Tier 2 means 20 and out, with previous pensionable time counting UP FRONT. Don't bank on this though because I never paid that much attention to this stuff because I don't qualify for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post

Thx
    In a certain amount of time after leaving the other city agency for fire you would be cashed out of your leave balances. For EMS we get all of our A/L, and comp, but only half of our sick leave. FD does not have "sick time" or "vacation time" that you accrue, so it does not transfer over. Check on what the deal is with your agency. If you lose half or all of your sick leave you may want to start to manage how much you have if you start to go through the process for FD. It would suck to lose 1/2 or all of a lot of sick leave.

All EMS, and don't believe everything you read in the papers. It is true though that by the numbers we were terrible at the beginning. I don't know how it would compare at the end. I can't speak for everyone, just myself. I could have been in better shape then, and could still be now, but I made it through.

EMS candidates probably will be in worse shape than a lot of the PHs. EMS is a terrible job to have if the goal is physical fitness. Almost everything about the work environment/atmosphere make it harder to stay in good shape than easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Takethedoor174 View Post
    the guy is asking a question. how do you know what his motives are? relax
    Without context to explain why he is asking that question it comes off as absurd and an insult to ask here. It implies someone who is possibly in range to be hired, but will only take the spot until Suffolk PD calls them back.

Forum Member

FDNY Squad LT in my volly house said that the media was wrong and it was about the same drop outs as any of the previous classes.

Forum Member

Wrong. Your time counts at the back end, it's still within the NYS pension system. What makes him a d-bag is asking what happens when you leave a job you don't have yet for another. You wanna be a Suffolk cop? Great, but you're asking in the wrong place in front of the wrong crowd. Move on and don't take a spot from someone who's trying to get on the greatest job on earth and stay in it.
    Actually you are the one that's wrong.

Fdny fireman that transfers to Nassau or Suffolk pd would have their years count upfront to count towards the minimum years to retire. Confirmed this with my buddy on Nassau pd. He had several fdny fireman in his academy class. You transfer your money from the fdny pension to the NYPFRS....ny state police and fire retirement system. One in his pct had 6 years with fd so after he got hired with Nassau pd he only had to do 14. His years counted towards the minimum years required to retire.
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 07-28-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Forum Member

ManhattanMedic, about how long did you wait before you were cashed out for your leave time in EMS?

Forum Member

Who gives a s h it who drops out; just dont let it be you. This job is difficult, it is demanding, it is unforgiving, it is endless, and somehow it is worth it.

Why even talk about what shape other people might be in when they show up for probie school? Its out of your hands. Keep your own house in order, because when you walk past that guard booth in your suit for processing, your plate is going to be so loaded up with new news and responsibilities its going to make your head spin. The pi sser about that is, its the first step in a long, arduous journey thats littered with pitfalls along the way, and theres literally tens of thousands of people hoping and praying that you fail so they can take that coveted spot.

The Post/DN/Natl Enquirer/Onion are all going to say what theyre going to say. So will the people you may or may not know. Part of life, and particularly life in NYC, is the unsolicited opinion which is and always has been, irrelevant. If youre on the right track, you wont hear what any of them have to say, good or bad. Youll be too focused on readying yourself for major challenges- physical and mental- to notice.

Planning, preparation, sacrifice and luck. This is your new religion. Its up to you to come get the sacrament.
    Last edited by SkylinePCG; 07-28-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

Way to go for digging up that awesome nugget. Go do your thing on the Island already. ANd change your name to FDNY4Now.

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Actually you are the one that's wrong.

Fdny fireman that transfers to Nassau or Suffolk pd would have their years count upfront to count towards the minimum years to retire. Confirmed this with my buddy on Nassau pd. He had several fdny fireman in his academy class. You transfer your money from the fdny pension to the NYPFRS....ny state police and fire retirement system. One in his pct had 6 years with fd so after he got hired with Nassau pd he only had to do 14. His years counted towards the minimum years required to retire.
    ffbam24, FDsouthbxNY and FuDsNmYc like this.
    To Persist is to Conquer.

Forum Member

You can't judge by how they look. I know several people in these classes and otj now who don't "look" like fireman but have and do hold their own without a problem. It's an easier job being taller and fitter/skinnier than being short and having higher show muscles. We're the ones who will fit into confined spaces while the others sit outside and do nothing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Don't quote me on this, but depending on when you joined the pension system as a CO you may be able to convert your pension to tier 2 should you make it to FDNY. When the FDNY Pension rep was explaining the stuff to us he made it sound like any pensionable time in the city/state prior to 7/1/2009 should qualify you to convert your pension to tier 2. Tier 2 means 20 and out, with previous pensionable time counting UP FRONT. Don't bank on this though because I never paid that much attention to this stuff because I don't qualify for it.

In a certain amount of time after leaving the other city agency for fire you would be cashed out of your leave balances. For EMS we get all of our A/L, and comp, but only half of our sick leave. FD does not have "sick time" or "vacation time" that you accrue, so it does not transfer over. Check on what the deal is with your agency. If you lose half or all of your sick leave you may want to start to manage how much you have if you start to go through the process for FD. It would suck to lose 1/2 or all of a lot of sick leave.
    Thanks a lot MM, great info as always...You mentioned that if you have previous pensionable time with the city as a CO with a start date prior to 7/2009 that your time could actually be eligible for transfer to tier 2 and count up front. I assume though that would be only for those currently in uniformed services (i.e. corrections)...I'm with the city since 5/2007 and in the pension system since I started (tier 4), but I'm not in a uniform service. So I'm guessing for me, my time would still only count on the back end and I wouldn't be eligible to make the same jump to tier 2, would you agree based on your knowledge???

Also as far as my leave time goes, I have like over a month and 1/2 A/L accrued and about 2 months S/L. It would definitely suck to lose all that time. I didn't know FD doesn't have A/L and S/L in the same way other agencies do, so thanks for that info. I will take our advice and check with my agency about how that would work...needless to say, none of the above has any bearing on whether I would jump to FD when called lol, I want this job more than anything for the longest time...but nonetheless, it is good to know these details about pension/leave.
    Last edited by MESAman; 07-28-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Thread Information