Like Tree10515Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    i could answer this for you if you are more specific. When you say controlled breathing what are your goals, why do you think you need to control your breathing? When you run do you feel like you are breathing heavy?

Ill just take a blind swing at this....

If your problem is that you feel short of breath when running. Guess what. You're not in shape for that speed...

A technique used and developed for marathon runners that decreased their times. Was to fully exhale all air in the lungs. and then take a normal breath in. I do not suggest using this technique as for how I have explain it is a watered down version.

Here is the truth and I state it again so it is not over looked. Ur body will regulate its breathing for you. DONT OVER THINK IT. The old saying "im out of breath" is impossible. you cant be out of breath. Your maximum breathing tempo or the amount of air your pulmonary system can deliver is always higher than the amount of oxygen rich blood that your heart can pump.
    I was just throwing a general idea out there. Since the consensus on the FST is being able to conserve air, a good thing to train for would be breathing control. How to do that? I have no idea, because I've never gone through the CPAT so I'm not quite sure what it entails. I would think part of it would be having a good cardio base, and part of it is not freaking out and elevating your respiratory rate.

Swimmers seem to be pretty good at breathing control. Do they do anything specific to achieve that?

Forum Member

FYI, I just called the DCAS automated line to check on another exam and listened to the Exam 2000 info one more time. The exam is officially set to expire on June 26, 2017.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CableGuy516 View Post
    I was just throwing a general idea out there. Since the consensus on the FST is being able to conserve air, a good thing to train for would be breathing control. How to do that? I have no idea, because I've never gone through the CPAT so I'm not quite sure what it entails. I would think part of it would be having a good cardio base, and part of it is not freaking out and elevating your respiratory rate.

Swimmers seem to be pretty good at breathing control. Do they do anything specific to achieve that?
    Your initial assumption is the only one that matters. Being in good shape and staying calm; keeping your heart rate low so you use less air is the best and probably only ways to use less air. IF your heart rate is at 95% max as opposed to 75% or 80 your gonna use a lot more air.

My suggest. Increase the cardio, specifically interval training. You can always reference back to my workouts I posted.
    I even got the link for you/everyone cause im feeling like such a nice guy this morning
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...7/#post1382428 (FDNY Exam 2000) (that is page 687)

I'd say if you could do my last two 400m workouts and my last 200m and 800m you are in more than good enough shape. (youll have to go back older post to find them)

Like ive said before, most people think they are in good cardiovascular shape but.......
    Last edited by coldblood92; 11-24-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    CableGuy516 likes this.

Forum Member

let me put it this way...
    (please do not mistake this for bragging)

I passed the stairs on the medical the first time. Which If you got passed the double heart rate thing without the vest; and failed with the vest. No good! That is a mark that your not cardiovascular fit enough.
    So put it this way. I passed what I felt was the minimum. Im probably in better shape(cardio) than 95% of the guys going threw the process and I dont think im in/was good enough shape.

On top of my interval training ive added insanity dvds Think what you will everyone and train how you may. Cardio is the difference between peoples experience at probie school. And if im wrong I hope MM lets me know im talking out my ***.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Whose telling you this anyway jfkills? Investigator?
    Peggy Quinn told one of my buddies that was in the same EMS top class. Its just heartbreaking because we were all told we would be good for January. Now because of a technicality we won't?

Forum Member

That really sucks man. She's a busy lady maybe she's got something mixed up for your sake.

In other news Wendy Tapia failed the run again and was forced to resign and is back on ems
    River6019 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

What distance and pace are you guys running to prepare for the academy?

I've been trying to do 5 miles at a sub 8 minute pace (still working on it). I was told that the running portion of probie school usually doesn't exceed 5 miles. Can anyone shed some light on that? Should I be getting more distance in?

Forum Member

5 miles is enough, and depending who the instructor is, you can running a sub 8 min. pace.

Forum Member

see what happens. it happened again. some guys just dont learn and/or listen. that stupid probie did it again. he took a photo in not proper uniform and posts it and uses inappropriate language. UNBELIEVABLE!
    they should throw this idiot in the middle of iraq with an american flag and lets see if he still says "aint worrried bout nothing."
    sorry to rant but this is exactly what im talking about everyone
    Manhattan Medic likes this.

Forum Member

Yep, it's a disgrace. People were not happy with him, from the top to the bottom. I don't think it's over yet......,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    5 miles is enough, and depending who the instructor is, you can running a sub 8 min. pace.
    Can you clarify this?

Forum Member

Quick question. The 1.5 run, is it on track or is it like point A to point B? I forget. Anyone. Thanks.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    That really sucks man. She's a busy lady maybe she's got something mixed up for your sake.

In other news Wendy Tapia failed the run again and was forced to resign and is back on ems
    I thought her next attempt was'nt until Dec. 2...
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

Forum Member

What were the physical fitness records/awards for the previous academy class?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    She decided to take it early.

http://nypost.com/2013/11/24/unfirea...fighter-quits/

The female FDNY probie who was allowed to graduate from the Fire Academy without passing a required running test has quit.

Wendy Tapia, 31, resigned Thursday after trying again — her sixth attempt — to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes or less, officials said.

“She didn’t make the 12-minute cutoff,” an FDNY spokesman said. “She’ll return back to EMS ranks.”

Tapia was one of five women among 285 new firefighters who graduated from the FDNY’s Randall’s Island training academy on May 17. The class of EMTs and paramedics was hailed as one of the most diverse ever.

She was assigned to Engine No. 316 in East Elmhurst, Queens, but never worked a shift. After recovering from a foot injury, she went on light duty and continued training for the run. She failed it five times, last on Halloween, clocking 12 minutes 23 seconds.

Fire Commissioner Salvatore Cassano, at the behest of United Women Firefighters, a group of active and retired FDNY women, gave Tapia another chance to pass the test on Dec. 2. But on the heels of a Post article on her special treatment, Tapia tried again early, and then threw in the towel.

“It’s really not about her, it’s about preferential treatment,” said Paul Mannix, president of Merit Matters, a firefighter group that opposes hiring quotas. “People are encouraged that she won’t be fighting fires, not because she’s a woman, but because she couldn’t meet the standards.”

Forum Member

It wasn't, but she attempted it early after that article
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JFKills View Post
    I am one of the last classes to get promoted from EMS to FIRE. Our ODA is Janurary 23rd and from what I was told we would be fine for the Jan 27th class. We finished the CPAT, Medical and Investigations. Now from what I hear is that their not going to process the class because of the run letters getting sent out in December. For some odd reason since we don't have 2 years they won't give us the run yet? This makes no sense because why would DCAS give us the CPAT and not the run. Anyone know any truth to this?
    When did Peggy Quinn inform your friend about this.

If they knew about this, then Im surprised they put you guys threw all these steps. Hang in there, you never know what can happen, especially since you guys get 2 years on the 27th and thats the day of swearing in. Plus if they let you do all other steps, I dont get why they wont let you do the run.

Do you have any idea how many EMS are left and how many out of that total are in your situation.

Good luck man,hope this changes in your favor.
    Last edited by NycQ83; 11-25-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Forum Member

Quick question. The 1.5 run, is it on track or is it like point A to point B? I forget. Anyone. Thanks.
    Someone posted it a long time a ago, but it was like one and a half laps around a massive trail or track or something that went around some baseball fields. Someone marked the start and finish locations on it as well. They also commented that the course was super flat.

Forum Member

It must be nice to get 6 tries at something that everyone else only gets one shot at.
    vekdoggs75 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    It must be nice to get 6 tries at something that everyone else only gets one shot at.
    Chad did you get the recruitment email that everyone else got saying that the academy starts in 2 months? Im asking cause i didnt get it

Forum Member

Its a lap and a half around these baseball fields on Randall's island right next to the Rock. I marked it in runningmap.

http://www.runningmap.com/?id=640945

1 full lap is exactly a mile hence the loop and a half.
    CableGuy516 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    When did Peggy Quinn inform your friend about this.

If they knew about this, then Im surprised they put you guys threw all these steps. Hang in there, you never know what can happen, especially since you guys get 2 years on the 27th and thats the day of swearing in. Plus if they let you do all other steps, I dont get why they wont let you do the run.

Do you have any idea how many EMS are left and how many out of that total are in your situation.

Good luck man,hope this changes in your favor.
    Thanks, just so frustrating when they tell you your good for the class and then they said ...oh wait never mind mind you have to wait. You get mentally prepared for the the class so its a serious let down. I believe between my EMT top class and the Tour 2 class had about 15-20 guys that are on the promotional. If you factor in the EMT dropouts, Id imagine less then 75 left.

Forum Member

Thanks, just so frustrating when they tell you your good for the class and then they said ...oh wait never mind mind you have to wait. You get mentally prepared for the the class so its a serious let down. I believe between my EMT top class and the Tour 2 class had about 15-20 guys that are on the promotional. If you factor in the EMT dropouts, Id imagine less then 75 left.
    Dude,,, you dont have to tell us 6019 guys,,,,, Getting the run letter and passing with the offer only to have it rescinded and wait another 6 years with haveing the test cancelled and retaking the new one prob one of the most grueling frustrating things in the entire world......

Waiting another 6 months is a wlak in the park compared to the mud we went through

that said i do hope you get in,,,,, just after me
    FuDsNmYc likes this.

Forum Member

Are you referring to EMT dropouts from this current class? 55 out of the 60 dropouts are EMS?
    Last edited by NycQ83; 11-25-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    see what happens. it happened again. some guys just dont learn and/or listen. that stupid probie did it again. he took a photo in not proper uniform and posts it and uses inappropriate language. UNBELIEVABLE!
    they should throw this idiot in the middle of iraq with an american flag and lets see if he still says "aint worrried bout nothing."
    sorry to rant but this is exactly what im talking about everyone
    Did I miss something ? Is there a link or something?

Thread Information