Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #1551
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    On slightly different subject....I was surprised with how many people didn't really know what the test was gonna be like. I heard alot of people get on their phones when they left, explaining the basic format of the test. I thought most of us knew the general format. Something I often forget though, the more time you spend on this forum you get the feeling that everyone is on here sharing information but in reality theres what 40-50 of us on here? then a few lurkers?
    im assuming those that didn't know the format had skipped out on the tutorial, and maybe were caught off guard with the agree/disagree portion. Its pretty straight forward though, we all know what to expect. To be honest I think my little sister can pass it. (still in high school)

  2. #1552
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    For you studio square guys. They were cool about phones right? Just put them in their ziplock bag? I ask you guys because the other posters were commenting on their experiences at a different location. I promise I won't ask again.
    I took the test at Studio Square, and pretty much everyone there had a cellphone. Not a problem at all. They give you a small red plastic bag for your belongings, and there is a box beneath your seat to hold the bag while you are testing.

  3. #1553
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Anybody drive down to studio square? How was parking? Test at 8 am... wondering if I should even attempt to drive... Ne one have any insight?

  4. #1554
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Truckie 1 day View Post
    Anybody drive down to studio square? How was parking? Test at 8 am... wondering if I should even attempt to drive... Ne one have any insight?
    You might not find a spot on that block but you should find something a few blocks away. You're best bet is on a side street. I've found parking there on a busy saturday night over there so some driving around and you should be fine. I have my exam there tomorrow but at 12.

  5. #1555
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Good luck tomorrow Tom!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

  6. #1556
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    did anybody request extra scrap paper for the math or was the two pieces given enough?

  7. #1557
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    You might not find a spot on that block but you should find something a few blocks away. You're best bet is on a side street. I've found parking there on a busy saturday night over there so some driving around and you should be fine. I have my exam there tomorrow but at 12.
    good luck bro

    Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    did anybody request extra scrap paper for the math or was the two pieces given enough?
    the crazy crap we obsess over (ive actually wondered this myself along with "i hope the scrap paper has lines on it for the note taking during videos lol).


    does anyone remember how long the vulcan's 3 gun video was? the youtube video is like 9 min, but i know we didnt watch all 9 during the prep course. I dont think it was more than 4 but maybe someone can confirm? thanks.

  8. #1558
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    good luck bro



    the crazy crap we obsess over (ive actually wondered this myself along with "i hope the scrap paper has lines on it for the note taking during videos lol).


    does anyone remember how long the vulcan's 3 gun video was? the youtube video is like 9 min, but i know we didnt watch all 9 during the prep course. I dont think it was more than 4 but maybe someone can confirm? thanks.
    I believe it was 3 mins.

  9. #1559
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Hopeful did you ever get a chance to do the FDNY's video tutorials? In my opinion I found them to be a little more difficult than the vulcans video tutorial.

  10. #1560
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Hopeful did you ever get a chance to do the FDNY's video tutorials? In my opinion I found them to be a little more difficult than the vulcans video tutorial.

    I did them over the weekend. I found them to be much more difficult than The Vulcan's videos. I would be surprised if the videos on the test were as difficult as the city's tutorial videos.

  11. #1561
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I did them over the weekend. I found them to be much more difficult than The Vulcan's videos. I would be surprised if the videos on the test were as difficult as the city's tutorial videos.
    I hear you, hopefully someone can compare notes without giving out any specific Q's away today.

  12. #1562
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    I hear you, hopefully someone can compare notes without giving out any specific Q's away today.

    There's no reason anyone should really let us in on anything. We've gone over this. And this is coming from a guy who still hasn't taken it yet...

  13. #1563
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Edit: double

  14. #1564
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Listen everybody be very careful for what you say on this forum pertaining to the exam. Last thing we need is any more technicalities and roadblocks and anyone's test results being invalidated because of a comment they made on here. Keep it to yourselves. The guys who took the exam first went in with no advice or help from other candidates so I suggest the people that have yet to take the exam proceed with the same mindset.

    It's only fair.

  15. #1565
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    There's no reason anyone should really let us in on anything. We've gone over this. And this is coming from a guy who still hasn't taken it yet...
    I understand and fully agree with you. But personally I like to hear feedback weather it's positive or negative. I've heard of people who already took the exam and didn't study for it at all and they found everything easy and I also have heard of people who didn't even get to finish the exam. I'm just anxious to take this exam, wish they would of gave me an earlier exam date.

  16. #1566
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    I understand and fully agree with you. But personally I like to hear feedback weather it's positive or negative. I've heard of people who already took the exam and didn't study for it at all and they found everything easy and I also have heard of people who didn't even get to finish the exam. I'm just anxious to take this exam, wish they would of gave me an earlier exam date.
    You could have easily gotten yourself an earlier exam date.

  17. #1567
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,054

    Default

    can I claim geographyism for the test not being offered on Staten Island? How the hell is the test given in Philly, upstate NY, Virgina....but not in one of the 5 boroughs?! SI really is the step child of the city lol

  18. #1568
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You could have easily gotten yourself an earlier exam date.
    Dude I tried but they told me that the only dates available were later dates than what I had. I decided not to further complicate things and just kept my original exam date.

  19. #1569
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    Dude I tried but they told me that the only dates available were later dates than what I had. I decided not to further complicate things and just kept my original exam date.

    I imagine you didn't try on the first day they opened it up to candidates. Because I can assure they had a plethora of options on that day.

  20. #1570
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I imagine you didn't try on the first day they opened it up to candidates. Because I can assure they had a plethora of options on that day.
    I know but I didn't think my schedule would look the way it does now. I have a kid and didn't have anyone to watch him because his mom goes to school and work. But she took some time off and I wish she would of addressed this with me but whatever it is what it is.

  21. #1571
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    can I claim geographyism for the test not being offered on Staten Island? How the hell is the test given in Philly, upstate NY, Virgina....but not in one of the 5 boroughs?! SI really is the step child of the city lol
    How could that be? Talk about being geographiminated.

  22. #1572
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    flushing
    Posts
    806

    Default

    POLITICSUpdated March 9, 2012, 11:19 a.m. ET.FDNY Exam Now Looking Costly to City .
    Article Comments (27) more in New York | Find New $LINKTEXTFIND$ ».
    Email Print Save ↓ More .
    .smaller Larger By MICHAEL HOWARD SAUL
    New York City could be forced to pay up to $128 million in damages in connection with a federal court's ruling that the Fire Department used an entrance exam that intentionally discriminated against black and Hispanic applicants, the judge in the case determined Thursday.

    In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Nicholas G. Garaufis of Brooklyn said the city's financial exposure could end up being "significantly" lower after claimants in the case, the thousands of minority applicants who were rejected by the FDNY, apply for back pay in the coming months.

    But the judge lashed out at the city, saying it had "many opportunities to avoid financial liability of this magnitude" and that the judgment in the case reflects the "consequences of the city's decision to ignore clear violations of federal law."

    Corporation Counsel Michael Cardozo, the city's chief lawyer, said in a statement: "We believe the court's latest opinion is erroneous, and, in any event, is the first step in a lengthy process."

    He added: "When all the proceedings have been completed, the damages, if any, that the city will have to pay will be far less than $128 million."

    According to the court's ruling, 7,100 minority applicants sat for the two exams that the judge found discriminatory. The government estimates 2,200 of those applicants will ultimately be eligible for relief.

    The latest development in the high-profile case, which has featured an acrimonious exchange of charges between the court and Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration, comes after the city demanded in January that Judge Garaufis be removed from the case, saying he had "lost any semblance of neutrality." The appeal accused the judge of taking on the roles of "witness and advocate."

    Richard Levy, an attorney representing the Vulcan Society, a fraternal organization of black firefighters and a plaintiff in the case, praised the judge's ruling as "appropriate." He described the dearth of minority firefighters as a "disgrace," calling the department the "last bastion of exclusive white employment."

    Mr. Levy specifically criticized Mr. Bloomberg's handling of the litigation.

    "The mayor has dealt with this in a very unbusinesslike fashion," he said.

    "I can't image a case in the private sector with a responsible businessman at the helm of a corporation who wouldn't have sat down long ago to figure out the extent of his exposure and worked out a resolution that would have been sensible, that would have shortcut this litigation and gotten more blacks into the Fire Department," Mr. Levy said.

    Stu Loeser, a spokesman for the mayor, did not return a request for comment.

    According to the FDNY, the department is currently 89% white; 6% Hispanic; 3% black; and 1% Asian.

    Under the court's supervision, the city has been working to create a new firefighter exam, and candidates are expected to begin taking the new test later this month.

    In 2011, the city launched a grassroots effort to recruit minority applicants.

    In total, 30,425 minority applicants have filed to take the test, representing 49.5% of the applicant pool.

    Female FDNY applicants have also surged, with 3,481 filing to take the test. The department currently has about three-dozen female firefighters.

    The FDNY does not expect to begin hiring new firefighters until March of next year. That means, as a result of the litigation against the department's hiring practices, the FDNY will have gone five years without a probationary firefighter class entering the academy.

    At a City Council hearing Thursday, FDNY Commissioner Salvatore Cassano said the delay in hiring has led to "soaring overtime."

    In the current fiscal year, the department expects to spend $275 million on overtime, compared with $237 million the previous year.

    Mr. Cassano told council members the department will face "significant challenges this summer," when it expects to be down 500 or more firefighters.

    At the hearing, Council Member Peter Vallone, a Queens Democrat, mocked Judge Garaufis. "I couldn't agree with you more regarding Emperor Garaufis's ruling, I mean Judge Garaufis," Mr. Vallone told Mr. Cassano.

    Mr. Vallone said "you can pretty much chalk up" the FDNY's financial problems to his "excellency's ridiculous ruling calling the FDNY racist. I read a report where the school system is overwhelmingly female—the teachers—I wonder if he's taking over that next."

    Council Member Letitia James, a Brooklyn Democrat, called criticism of the judge "irresponsible."

    The mayor's preliminary budget proposal for the fiscal year beginning July 1 calls again for the FDNY to shutter 20 fire companies, a proposal that council members have blocked in the past.

    The commissioner disclosed Thursday that he expected the same fire companies that the department targeted for closure last year to be on the chopping block later this year.

    "At the end of the day," said Ms. James, referring to the proposed fire company closings, "I know we'll do the right thing."

    Write to Michael Howard Saul at michael.saul@wsj.com

    A version of this article appeared Mar. 9, 2012, on page A17 in some U.S. editions of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: FDNY Exam Now Looking Costly to City.

  23. #1573
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    856

    Default

    Just got back from the exam, a lot of people took the test and race wise it was really mixed. Best advice I can give without giving up too much information is don't over study it because you will go in there over thinking it. I don't want to give away too much but that myonide video is actually helpful.

  24. #1574
    Forum Member
    FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Just got back from the exam, a lot of people took the test and race wise it was really mixed. Best advice I can give without giving up too much information is don't over study it because you will go in there over thinking it. I don't want to give away too much but that myonide video is actually helpful.
    How do you think you did on the exam Tom?

  25. #1575
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Queens6019, I haven't seen you on here in probably over two years. I imagine you've been lurking though...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 5 guests)

  1. fdnybk

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register