Like Tree11242Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Hey guys, I heard somebody mentioning that the FDNY offers free memberships to NYSC to candidates..does this have any truth to it, does anybody know the actually facts about this? All info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys
    Not free but when you otj you get a discount ... You also get a discount when you get called for cpat training, I think you bring a paper given to you and you take that to nysc ... Someone can double check me or correct me because I'm not 100% sure

Forum Member

If you are training for CPAT at the Rock, you get the discount. Its $30 a month, all you need to do is call NYSC, and fax the card that they gave you with the days you are scheduled to go to the ROCk and you get it. It's all off peak hours, and anytime on the weekends.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    If you are training for CPAT at the Rock, you get the discount. Its $30 a month, all you need to do is call NYSC, and fax the card that they gave you with the days you are scheduled to go to the ROCk and you get it. It's all off peak hours, and anytime on the weekends.
    Oh so thats how it works, I see. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Not free but when you otj you get a discount ... You also get a discount when you get called for cpat training, I think you bring a paper given to you and you take that to nysc ... Someone can double check me or correct me because I'm not 100% sure
    Okay, thank for the info man, I appreciate it

Forum Member

Anyone if the 1.5 mile run is around a track or on a road or something?

Forum Member

Question: I took an EMT-B course a couple of years ago and my EMT-B license is going to expire in a few months, is it beneficial for me to take a refresher course(they are around 600 bucks, i would have to pay out of pocket since i don't work for any ems agency) I scored a 101 on exam 2000 and was just curious as to the perks of being an EMT-B and a FF, I seen FF with the NYS EMT patch on their uniform do they get paid more for going on priority medical runs?? as oppose to the basic CFR-D that all Fdny FF are trained in? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
    This was literally mentioned like two pages ago. Go read
    vekdoggs75 and Dannypanigale like this.
    Exam 2000
    Score: 102
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNeptune View Post
    Question: I took an EMT-B course a couple of years ago and my EMT-B license is going to expire in a few months, is it beneficial for me to take a refresher course(they are around 600 bucks, i would have to pay out of pocket since i don't work for any ems agency) I scored a 101 on exam 2000 and was just curious as to the perks of being an EMT-B and a FF, I seen FF with the NYS EMT patch on their uniform do they get paid more for going on priority medical runs?? as oppose to the basic CFR-D that all Fdny FF are trained in? Thanks
    Guys on the engine make a little more money than on the truck because they do ems runs. But having an Emt cert is not going to make a difference in anything. FF's clear themselves from our jobs so fast you rarely even make patient contact
    Exam 2000
    List: 9xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Hey guys, I heard somebody mentioning that the FDNY offers free memberships to NYSC to candidates..does this have any truth to it, does anybody know the actually facts about this? All info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Guys
    Somebody at my job tried telling me this lol.. they don't give you a free membership, you get a discounted restricted membership.

You pay $50 to sign up, then its $30 a month, Monday-Friday you can't go in between the hours of 4pm-7pm, if you do check in between those hours than you pay an $8 fee for each day you do it... If you go to the gym 3:59pm then you can stay in between 4-7, you just can't come in between those hours.

And every January, you pay $50 to keep your rates locked in at $30/month.. and this membership is a 1 year agreement, after the 1 year is up, you don't have to re-new your membership, it automatically continues, but you can cancel at any time after the year.

to sign up you call the number they give you at the rock, and you have to fax or email a picture of the cpat registration card to them to get this membership.
    Last edited by John246; 12-03-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Somebody at my job tried telling me this lol.. they don't give you a free membership, you get a discounted restricted membership.

You pay $50 to sign up, then its $30 a month, Monday-Friday you can't go in between the hours of 4pm-7pm, if you do check in between those hours than you pay an $8 fee for each day you do it... If you go to the gym 3:59pm then you can stay in between 4-7, you just can't come in between those hours.

And every January, you pay $50 to keep your rates locked in at $30/month.. and this membership is a 1 year agreement, after the 1 year is up, you don't have to re-new your membership, it automatically continues, but you can cancel at any time after the year.

to sign up you call the number they give you at the rock, and you have to fax or email a picture of the cpat registration card to them to get this membership.
    Lol yea it dounded a little ridiculous thats hy I had to ask to find out for sure. Thanks alot for the info dude, i appreciate it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Dude, they said to write down everything on that form and if we didn't disclose it, we would be DQed. I talked to someone else who went through this and he said they don't really care so it was better to be safe than sorry. Its really frustrating when I not only agree but it is a fact that these things are what they are: non-judicial.
    Sorry about that, it is frustrating when the actual name of the action contains the wording "non-judicial." But thanks for the heads up.

From what you've seen, do you think a page 11 is needed to be disclosed?
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

for those of us that are almost done with school, will there be time after the academy and once you've been with the department for a while to go back to school, assuming you get called before you graduate?

was thinking about getting my masters... in terms of having degrees or advance degrees are those helpful on the job? promotion or advancement? pay?
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Sorry about that, it is frustrating when the actual name of the action contains the wording "non-judicial." But thanks for the heads up.

From what you've seen, do you think a page 11 is needed to be disclosed?
    Nah, page 11 you don't have to list, page 11 is just a note in your SRB it's not anything worth listing unless there's an NJP attached to it, I have a page 11 stating I was never issued and all weather coat
    dwm326 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    for those of us that are almost done with school, will there be time after the academy and once you've been with the department for a while to go back to school, assuming you get called before you graduate?

was thinking about getting my masters... in terms of having degrees or advance degrees are those helpful on the job? promotion or advancement? pay?
    Well in terms of advancement in the department, I believe the educational requirement in order to be promoted to Lieutenant is 60 college credits, 80 for promotion to Captain, and an actual Bachelor's degree for promotion to Chief of Batallion.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any reliable citations and/or facts to back up the 3 acadamies a year after the January class?

I spoke with my brother, OTJ 7 years, he called a friend who's an instructor on the Rock and was told that as far as they knew, it was still just 2 classes a year. I don't want to make this my source vs. your source, but is there anything close to being solid to back either claim?
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNeptune View Post
    Regardless of outside certification when you work as a firefighter for the City of New York you are a CFR. If you are on an engine you get a small amount of extra money each tour for doing CFR duties (trucks and special units don't go on CFR runs so they don't get the $). Keep your EMT if you want, but it isn't readily beneficial for the department.

Quote Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
    Go to google maps and search "Sunken Meadow Loop, New York, NY".

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post

I'd say it's a bit tough when on probation, but you can definitely make time to go back to school once on the job. As far as I know bachelors is the highest degree required, and that's to be promoted from Captain to Battalion Chief. I think higher degrees can help one move from that rank to higher positions in the department, but that's not something any of us really need to worry about at the moment.

Does anyone have any reliable citations and/or facts to back up the 3 acadamies a year after the January class?

I spoke with my brother, OTJ 7 years, he called a friend who's an instructor on the Rock and was told that as far as they knew, it was still just 2 classes a year. I don't want to make this my source vs. your source, but is there anything close to being solid to back either claim?
    The source I heard was a decent one, but it's all still rumor mill BS until we actually see it happen.
    NycQ83, dwm326 and 4040clubBouncer like this.

Forum Member

Hey gentlemen,

I came down with a slight cold this last week (probably from going out on thanksgiving eve) and it's effecting my training a little bit. I'm doing everything in my power to bounce back from it (Chugging OJ, soup and tea) but don't be an idiot like me and go out in just a hoodie. Bundle up from now until January (even if you look like this: http://newenglandmommy.files.wordpre...-snow-suit.jpg) I'm still training hard but don't make the mistake I made fellas. And remember when you're tired and about to give up, you're only half way. Keep goin boys! (and gals)

Forum Member

Could someone provide an update as far as what list number has been reached and what number has been contacted so far. I haven't logged on here in a few weeks and am having trouble piecing it together.

Thanks guys, and gals.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Hey gentlemen,

I came down with a slight cold this last week (probably from going out on thanksgiving eve) and it's effecting my training a little bit. I'm doing everything in my power to bounce back from it (Chugging OJ, soup and tea) but don't be an idiot like me and go out in just a hoodie. Bundle up from now until January (even if you look like this: http://newenglandmommy.files.wordpre...-snow-suit.jpg) I'm still training hard but don't make the mistake I made fellas. And remember when you're tired and about to give up, you're only half way. Keep goin boys! (and gals)
    I didn't get sick but the holiday totally screwed up up my work out routine and schedule. Speaking of bundling up, God bless the person that invented under armour lol. Also for about $20-$30 they make running gloves where the thumb is a fine mesh so you can still use your touch screen. Good for us that run with our phones/ipods.
    JDNY13 likes this.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Could someone provide an update as far as what list number has been reached and what number has been contacted so far. I haven't logged on here in a few weeks and am having trouble piecing it together.

Thanks guys, and gals.
    They reached somewhere between list # 110-120 for the class graduating this week. And everyone that has scored at least a 102, somewhere in the 1300's, has started some form of the hiring process.
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

So while I toss and turn trying to fall asleep ( I work nights ) the department made over 1 million dollars on applications for the test ... I really hope they extend this test a couple of more years ... Nite nite

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    They reached somewhere between list # 110-120 for the class graduating this week. And everyone that has scored at least a 102, somewhere in the 1300's, has started some form of the hiring process.
    Thanks Tom, being in the high 3,000's I've been trying to not even think about the process right now. It's easier to just go about life as normal.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

So while I toss and turn trying to fall asleep ( I work nights ) the department made over 1 million dollars on applications for the test ... I really hope they extend this test a couple of more years ... Nite nite
    This is incredibly dumb for several reasons:

1. DCAS administered the test, not FDNY. If anybody made money it was DCAS, except...
    2. I think even a normal testing process when done on this scale costs millions of dollars. Developing and rolling out the new test for Exam #2000 cost a few million on its own. There's no way the city made money off the application fee.
    3. There are city and state laws that dictate civil service practices. I think it's possible that they could extend the life of the list by a year, but I think at best the department has to ask for that and then DCAS has to allow it.
    4. How much money do you think it costs to provide the CPAT training for FREE to applicants? All those guys are on OT. I'm sure if someone knew all of the information they could easily arrive with a $ amount spent on conducting the written exam, background investigation, psych, medical, and cpat tests for each candidate. I know that doesn't affect you at all if you don't get reached on the list, but the idea that any of the fees related to taking the test and getting hired are there to turn a profit is just absurd.

Forum Member

Sanitation extended their exam 4 more years to 2016 because they think there are enough qualified candidates on the 2008 list and there's no need to make a new list. But then again they had a major hiring freeze during the recession. Just get into EMS that's the most safest and secure route IMO.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Sanitation extended their exam 4 more years to 2016 because they think there are enough qualified candidates on the 2008 list and there's no need to make a new list. But then again they had a major hiring freeze during the recession. Just get into EMS that's the most safest and secure route IMO.
    I think it was because of the freeze

Thread Information