Like Tree11254Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Sanitation extended their exam 4 more years to 2016 because they think there are enough qualified candidates on the 2008 list and there's no need to make a new list. But then again they had a major hiring freeze during the recession. Just get into EMS that's the most safest and secure route IMO.
    Did they really? That explains why its not listed up on DCAS. Screw it, steady as she goes!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    Nah, page 11 you don't have to list, page 11 is just a note in your SRB it's not anything worth listing unless there's an NJP attached to it, I have a page 11 stating I was never issued and all weather coat
    Lol, my was stolen after boot. They list NJPs when they do PTS(perform to serve).
    FuDsNmYc and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    This is incredibly dumb for several reasons:

1. DCAS administered the test, not FDNY. If anybody made money it was DCAS, except...
    2. I think even a normal testing process when done on this scale costs millions of dollars. Developing and rolling out the new test for Exam #2000 cost a few million on its own. There's no way the city made money off the application fee.
    3. There are city and state laws that dictate civil service practices. I think it's possible that they could extend the life of the list by a year, but I think at best the department has to ask for that and then DCAS has to allow it.
    4. How much money do you think it costs to provide the CPAT training for FREE to applicants? All those guys are on OT. I'm sure if someone knew all of the information they could easily arrive with a $ amount spent on conducting the written exam, background investigation, psych, medical, and cpat tests for each candidate. I know that doesn't affect you at all if you don't get reached on the list, but the idea that any of the fees related to taking the test and getting hired are there to turn a profit is just absurd.

Sorry mm I'm so desperate that I'm starting to get illusional and start saying dumb stuff ... Thanks for the answer mm

Forum Member

Anyone who went to family day know if they made another video similar to last class? (http://vimeo.com/67417542)

I know it's a tad corny but it still gets me so amped up. Anyone else?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Lol, my was stolen after boot. They list NJPs when they do PTS(perform to serve).
    That's funny because mine was stolen too. It's last know whereabouts is the front main gate of 29 palms. So I guess I'm not the only victim of page 11 robbery. Hahaha
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Anyone who went to family day know if they made another video similar to last class? (http://vimeo.com/67417542)

I know it's a tad corny but it still gets me so amped up. Anyone else?
    Not corny lol .. I get super amped with the video you posted !!! I was on google the night of looking for the video and nothing yet

Forum Member

Do they make you shave your head bald in academy? Everyone in video is bald.

Forum Member

I believe you answered your own question
    River6019 likes this.

Forum Member

They don't make you ! But is part of tradition so it's more like you have to !!! I'll be proud to get a full boldy... I believe there was an incident on this class with someone that didn't want to cut his hair ..not cool don't be that guy
    Last edited by Dannypanigale; 12-04-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Forum Member

Not really a big deal but kinda sucks. My hair is already really short.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    Not really a big deal but kinda sucks. My hair is already really short.
    It's tradition, quit bitching.

Today is apparently the last day for the current class, which means they get their assignments and then (hopefully) do the right thing and go bearing goodies to their houses.
    NycQ83 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    So while I toss and turn trying to fall asleep ( I work nights ) the department made over 1 million dollars on applications for the test ... I really hope they extend this test a couple of more years ... Nite nite
    Just a quick comment on this. About 50k people signed up for the FDNY test, I don't remember how much it cost, I think $40? So $40 a person that makes DCAS about $2 million.

$2 million in terms of money towards the city or a city agency, really isn't a lot of money. Do I think they spent $2 million administering the test and getting this list together? NO. But they did spend quite a bit, and that $2 million after all expenses gathering this list, whatever's left of it is probably only enough to pay for a few DCAS employees salaries for the years.

Its easy to get frustrated with paying for a test, but it does cost money for them to administer a test, and in the grand scope of things, DCAS really didn't make all that much money off this test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FuDsNmYc View Post
    That's funny because mine was stolen too. It's last know whereabouts is the front main gate of 29 palms. So I guess I'm not the only victim of page 11 robbery. Hahaha
    You were stationed in the stumps ?
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    You were stationed in the stumps ?
    Yeah. I was there for radio school. I loved it.
    JDNY13 likes this.
    Exam#2000
    List#4xx
    Score103%

Forum Member

I was originally stationed on Parris Island, when I moved to Camp Pendelton I left my AWC back in South Carolina. No one in my new unit even ever checked for it, and I didn't realize it was gone for like 2 years.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Yeah. I was there for radio school. I loved it.
    CAX 2004, oorah Camp Wilson!
    FuDsNmYc and JDNY13 like this.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    FF's clear themselves from our jobs so fast you rarely even make patient contact
    That is entirely untrue. Assuming you work EMS, unless the call type is a priority 1 or an unconscious, the second you hit your 10-84, the computer automatically clears the cfr engine.

If the engine is showing up and blatantly avoiding helping you or at a minimum asking if you require assistance, then you are unfortunately working with some hairbag companies.

Can you really blame guys for not wanting to stay on scene of an EMS run and miss a fire? Companies miss fires in their first due area all the time and its very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    So while I toss and turn trying to fall asleep ( I work nights ) the department made over 1 million dollars on applications for the test ... I really hope they extend this test a couple of more years ... Nite nite
    Not very good with numbers are you? Do you really think the city profited $1,000,000 from administering this test?

First of all, thats pennies to the city of new york. Second, do you think its free to administer an exam and furthermore compile a list of 40,000 names and then pay investigators and medical staff to process them?

Paying for testing facilities and pre-test programs that went a long with exam alone probably cost 1 million or more.

Investigators im sure get paid decently. The city has to pay them for the duration of the exam, potentially 5 years of investigations. Thats easily over $1,000,000 alone. Probably far more.

Forget what it costs to run the medical office for a few thousand candidates. (probably astronomical compared to every other expense)

Also don't forget the guys at the Rock being paid to train candidates.

Realistically, giving an exam cost the city more than likely $15,000,000 or more if I had to take a guess...
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 12-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    That is entirely untrue. Assuming you work EMS, unless the call type is a priority 1 or an unconscious, the second you hit your 10-84, the computer automatically clears the cfr engine.

If the engine is showing up and blatantly avoiding helping you or at a minimum asking if you require assistance, then you are unfortunately working with some hairbag companies.

Can you really blame guys for not wanting to stay on scene of an EMS run and miss a fire? Companies miss fires in their first due area all the time and its very frustrating.

Not very good with numbers are you? Do you really think the city profited $1,000,000 from administering this test?

First of all, thats pennies to the city of new york. Second, do you think its free to administer an exam and furthermore compile a list of 40,000 names and then pay investigators and medical staff to process them?

Paying for testing facilities and pre-test programs that went a long with exam alone probably cost 1 million or more.

Investigators im sure get paid decently. The city has to pay them for the duration of the exam, potentially 5 years of investigations. Thats easily over $1,000,000 alone. Probably far more.

Forget what it costs to run the medical office for a few thousand candidates. (probably astronomical compared to every other expense)

Realistically, giving an exam cost the city more than likely $15,000,000 or more if I had to take a guess...
    I wouldn't say it cost $15 million or anywhere close, that's a HUGE over statement. The test was given at metrotech wasn't it? so that building is already in operation, didn't cost any extra to get the test at that sight.. the test being computerized saved some money too. The medical being at metrotech also didn't really cost extra, because they are already in operation for yearly fire fighter medicals..and the drug tests and blood work we did didn't really cost extra, because that's contracted out as a fixed cost, not paid by each individual test.. So wasting a test on someone who doesn't get the job isn't wasting money drug testing that person per say, its more of wasting a drug test that was already paid for on that person as opposed to someone else.

Investigators don't get paid that great individually, they get around 50k range, but when theres 10 investigators, that's about 500k right there to pay them.

DCAS administered the test, DCAS made about 2 million which isn't a lot, and before expenses, FDNY is paying for all the CPAT training at the rock, medical, and investigators etc.. DCAS is paying for the CPAT orientation they offered and again to administer the CPAT.

Giving an exam wouldn't cost the city $15 million lol, if it did believe me they wouldn't charge only $40 or whatever for their exam. There's some city exams that cost well over $100 to take.

Forum Member

Today is going to be a long day in the office, hopefully today is an active day on here to make the clock move a little faster.
    Last edited by dwm326; 12-04-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    River6019 likes this.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

WHO CARES?!?!?!?!

Do you guys realize that you're arguing about numbers on a budget that you have ZERO visibility of? To top that off, you made up the numbers you're complaining about! Get used to the idea that things are going to appear stupid at times, it's called municipal government. But complaining and making up numbers to suit an argument that doesn't need to be argued in the first place, makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.

Do yourself a favor and stop complaining about the money the city did or did not profit. Go run and do some pull-ups instead.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    I wouldn't say it cost $15 million or anywhere close, that's a HUGE over statement. The test was given at metrotech wasn't it? so that building is already in operation, didn't cost any extra to get the test at that sight.. the test being computerized saved some money too. The medical being at metrotech also didn't really cost extra, because they are already in operation for yearly fire fighter medicals..and the drug tests and blood work we did didn't really cost extra, because that's contracted out as a fixed cost, not paid by each individual test.. So wasting a test on someone who doesn't get the job isn't wasting money drug testing that person per say, its more of wasting a drug test that was already paid for on that person as opposed to someone else.

Investigators don't get paid that great individually, they get around 50k range, but when theres 10 investigators, that's about 500k right there to pay them.

DCAS administered the test, DCAS made about 2 million which isn't a lot, and before expenses, FDNY is paying for all the CPAT training at the rock, medical, and investigators etc.. DCAS is paying for the CPAT orientation they offered and again to administer the CPAT.

Giving an exam wouldn't cost the city $15 million lol, if it did believe me they wouldn't charge only $40 or whatever for their exam. There's some city exams that cost well over $100 to take.
    The test was given at remote facilities throughout nassau, suffolk and the 5 boroughs. That is a great expense to administer an exam to 40,000 people. Lets not forget the cost of developing a "fair" exam either. People don't do this work for free...

15 may be a bit over-estimated but I wouldn't say $10,000,000 was outlandish collectively between every expense to run this exam over 4-5 years.

Lets say the investigators make 50k plus benefits a year (that the city pays). Lets say there is 10 of them. Thats over 500k a year x 5 years for investigators alone. Plus cost of investigation. Not everything is handled solely by the investigator they do have to outsource some things. So theres $3,000,000 for investigators.

There is definitely at least 5 instructors at the rock handling the CPAT training. Some are LTs and the rest are top pay FFs. Thats at least $100,000-$130,000 each. So over 5 years, thats potentially $3,000,000.

We also have to pay DCAS people to run the CPAT testing sites. Granted they probably make next to nothing and are part time, they still get paid for orientation and testing of probably 10,000 candidates over the duration of the exam.

The medical office absolutely costs more to run when there is an influx of an extra couple thousand people a year. How much, I have no idea but it certainly costs more. They also have to administer, score, and send some people to see the therapist after the psych exam.

So yes, I would venture to say $10,000,000 is not an unrealistic number whatsoever. 15 probably not. I just threw a number out there.

Regardless, anyone who thinks the city actually profits off of giving an exam of this magnitude is foolish.
    Last edited by BrooklynBravest; 12-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Forum Member

Less than 30 days till run letters start going out. I cant freaking wait bro!

When I get that letter for the run in the mail, I swear i'm guna do a fkin backflip.

Keep training fellas, if you're list number 800 or under, than you might be at the rock in 8 weeks.
    coldblood92, FuDsNmYc and JDNY13 like this.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    WHO CARES?!?!?!?!

Do you guys realize that you're arguing about numbers on a budget that you have ZERO visibility of? To top that off, you made up the numbers you're complaining about! Get used to the idea that things are going to appear stupid at times, it's called municipal government. But complaining and making up numbers to suit an argument that doesn't need to be argued in the first place, makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.

Do yourself a favor and stop complaining about the money the city did or did not profit. Go run and do some pull-ups instead.
    Calm down killer... Just stating a point.

Forum Member

Calm down killer... Just stating a point.
    Haha, sorry about that. I get a little frustrated because it seems a little pointless. Either way, I don't mean to be a overly-aggressive but some of the arguments on here are dissected to such a level that it's both comical and infuriating.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

So when do we think the next line of of medical notices will go out ? Late February/early March be a reasonable guess ?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Thread Information