Like Tree9834Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    How do you think you did on the exam Tom?
    Really don't know, I'm having a lot of post test anxiety right now. Nothing on the test was a surprise and they didn't throw any curve balls but the test also wasn't what I was expecting at the same time. It's hard to explain. After everyone takes the test I'll go deeper into my thoughts on the exam.

Forum Member

According to the Chief of the Fire Department, Edward Kilduff they're currently down around 400 men. And another confirmation it's anticipated the first class won't hit the field until 2013

Communications, Staff Woes Plague FDNY

Council Panel Eyes Emergency Prep

City Council Member Elizabeth S. Crowley, chair of the Fire and Criminal Justice Services Committee, held an oversight hearing on Monday, Feb. 27, regarding the FDNY’s terrorism and disaster preparedness strategy.

As the legislator noted in a press release, New York City is still a top terrorist target, with 13 known plots thwarted in the last decade due to counterterrorism measures. Coupled with the threat of natural disasters, Crowley stated, it is important that the FDNY has the manpower, equipment, and strategies necessary to deal with terror attacks and natural disasters.

“The Fire Department is often the city’s first responders in the event of a terrorist attack or natural disaster,” Crowley said. “While the department has done an admirable job in developing a response strategy, we must ensure that the FDNY has the necessary staffing and equipment needed so that the FDNY can continue being the preeminent emergency response agency New York City expects and depends on it to be.”

Chief of the Fire Department Edward Kilduff testified that the FDNY enhanced its special operations command through a “tiered response” system that ensures optimal availability and distribution of resources. This allows the FDNY to train units in various response capabilities and strategically place them in fire companies throughout the city.

Under questioning from the committee, Kilduff stated that closing 20 fire companies would impact public safety and the way the FDNY implements its tiered response system.

The FDNY has not hired a new recruitment class in nearly three years, and Kilduff noted that staffing is down by nearly 400 firefighters. The newest recruitment class is not expected to be instated until next year.

As the department continues losing firefighters through attrition, the FDNY faces overtime costs exceeding $10 million per month and an increased physical toll on firefighters working extra overtime shifts, Kilduff said.

Crowley also expressed concerns about the Fire Department on its communication infrastructure. The best counterterrorism efforts and emergency response depends on timely communications both within the Fire Department and between other city, state and federal agencies, she noted.

The committee learned that the FDNY has implemented a number of features for improved communications, including: launching an automated recall program that can target off-duty members; implementing a communications channel between on-scene firefighters and the EMS command; implementing a second EMS citywide channel for multiple casualty incidents; and establishing the Center for Terrorism and Disaster Preparedness to coordinate our counterterrorism planning and strategy.

The FDNY has also established a new field communications system consisting of preprogrammed handietalkie radios, portable command post radios, and cross-band repeaters to improve on-scene tactical and command communications and firefighter safety.

However, under questioning from the committee, Kilduff admitted there were still radio dead spots in the subway system—a top potential terrorist target—and the FDNY still has had trouble developing GPS systems that can quickly pinpoint injured or trapped firefighters in high-rise buildings.

“The looming threat of 20 fire company closures, coupled with the fact that the department has not hired a new class since 2008, threatens how well the FDNY can respond in emergencies,” Crowley said.

For more information on the FDNY Counterterrorism and Risk Management Strategy, read the department’s full report at www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/publications/ FDNY_ ct_ strategy_ 2011_ 12 .pdf.

http://www.timesnewsweekly.com/news/...ague_FDNY.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Really don't know, I'm having a lot of post test anxiety right now. Nothing on the test was a surprise and they didn't throw any curve balls but the test also wasn't what I was expecting at the same time. It's hard to explain. After everyone takes the test I'll go deeper into my thoughts on the exam.

Hey Tom, don't worry too much about it. You're probably just psyching yourself out. I'm sure you did fine. We all wanna get to the top of that list and to get to the Rock. Just make that your focus. Nothing else you can do ya know?

Forum Member

I hope this doesn't turn out like the Chicago crap where they had to hire 130 Blacks and pay them back pay instead of just going off the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I took the test yesterday and I feel the same way. I have a pretty good idea as to how I did on the first 4 parts of the exam, but on the fifth part its kinda hard to tell whether I did well or not. Waiting for them to make this list to come out is going to stress me out big time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    I took the test yesterday and I feel the same way. I have a pretty good idea as to how I did on the first 4 parts of the exam, but on the fifth part its kinda hard to tell whether I did well or not. Waiting for them to make this list to come out is going to stress me out big time.
    I took the exam last Saturday. Same exact sentiments. Yeah my results can't come back soon enough. I think within a month or so we will get our scores back. A list number of 1 would be preferable but unrealistic lol.

Anyway, did anybody else sign up for an exam review? Mine is the 12th of May in Brooklyn.

Forum Member

I wish the city had more than 1 reading passage with 8 Q's for their reading comp. practice. The Vulcan's reading prep is much easier IMO.

Forum Member

I did my test on the 17th. I felt pretty confident, but I don't have any bonus points for military or residency. With the test seeming pretty easy, I don't know if I'll get a shot at the physical. Any one know how they pick for the physical?

Forum Member

Default the review

What does the review entail? Do they just go over the answers with you? Do they give you your scores back? Is it mandatory? Can anyone give me some details please...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PHHC08 View Post
    I did my test on the 17th. I felt pretty confident, but I don't have any bonus points for military or residency. With the test seeming pretty easy, I don't know if I'll get a shot at the physical. Any one know how they pick for the physical?
    In the past they would process candidates in strictly rank order, from highest score to lower scores. This time is anybody's guess since the judge has total control over the process. I do know that their gonna play with the scores to get the minority numbers they want, you can quote me on that. Oh and by the way for any of those guys that were at Rochadale that night, I got a call back from EEO regarding our complaint and they said they spoke to their lawyers and they cant do nothing about it, so go figure...
    Last edited by fdnysmoky; 03-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Forum Member

New guy here hoping to make it into the fdny also. Took the test on sat and thought it wasn't so hatd either. I see everyone talking about the whole race issue. How would they even know what race we are? Did we fill this out wheb we filed for the exam?

Forum Member

Hi, PHHC08, it is hosted by DCAS (they administer the exam), so they should have the information. You can find their information on the Notes section of this page.

Sorry, just a little bitter-humor over the JoinFDNY Facebook page, lol.

I called DCAS today and shockingly was able to speak to an actual person. He told me they have not decided how they would handle tie breakers on this exam yet. I asked about the 5 in your social and he said that wasn't necessarily going to be the way they do it. This makes me very uneasy. If anyone has been following the Philly test the list is top heavy and the tie scores were tie-broken by some random number assignment that as of now (to my knowledge) no one knows how someone was assigned a number. Who knows what'll happen to us, I'm not trying to cause a panic just yet, but IMO it didn't look good.

to answer your Q: they rank us on the list based on our CBT exam score. That's the order we are processed going forward.
    Last edited by HopefulFF; 03-27-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Forum Member

test tomorrow !!

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Good luck jay513 tomorrow

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Quote Originally Posted by thecongo View Post
    New guy here hoping to make it into the fdny also. Took the test on sat and thought it wasn't so hatd either. I see everyone talking about the whole race issue. How would they even know what race we are? Did we fill this out wheb we filed for the exam?
    I remember that I couldn't complete the application without filling my race. Don't know if you had a similar experience. Do you have to fill that out before you take the exam also?

MembersZone Subscriber

<<<If anyone has been following the Philly test the list is top heavy and the tie scores were tie-broken by some random number assignment>>>

Philly also said from the get-go that they were banding the scores, and I think that might be part of the issue there. Most of their scores are clustered together across the board. Historically hasn't NYC graded into the decimal point level? Hopefully they do because that will reduce tie scores a lot.

Forum Member

MFES, ya that's how it went on the old exams. You would think that'll happen on this exam too since there are so many people testing but we all know to assume nothing.

Forum Member

would anybody be able to tell me if there was any math questions on the exam... just curious because I'm not the best at math

Forum Member

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone have any info on the review?

Forum Member

Thanks HopefulFF. They didn't happen to mention about when we will receive our scores?

My only advice is to do the tutorials. They helped.

Forum Member

Thanks HopefulFF. They didn't happen to mention about when we will receive our scores?

My only advice is to do the tutorials. They helped.

Nah they didn't mention anything about the scores. I would have to assume we will get our raw scores back before May 11th because that's the first date of the exam reviews.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    Nah they didn't mention anything about the scores. I would have to assume we will get our raw scores back before May 11th because that's the first date of the exam reviews.
    I thought just recently PSI said that the May 11th date isn't correct and they don't know when they will be holding the review classes ?

Forum Member

I just called PSI, the guy I spoke to said we will NOT have any sort of score when we go in to review/protest the exam. PSI does not handle giving out a grade on the test, that's done by DCAS. We will be able to find out how many Q's we got right/wrong during the review/protest. This kind of nerves me out, but, he also said we won't even know how many we got right/wrong until we actually show up and review the exam at what ever location you go to. Don't think that is a great atmosphere to be in when you find out information like this but it's not like we have a choice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Wow. You are clueless. (^^Skav)

http://www.fireprep.com/new_york_fir...examinati.html
    If I were you guys, I would look into this and go ahead and fork out the $50.
    Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    $50? I saw where you endorsed it on the other thread but that's some money. I guess comparetively, it's peanuts. Are there others you recommend or is this the most helpful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    If you want the job that bad like I and others do, do whatever it takes to get ready. 50 bucks is nothing compared to what I spent on classes and gyms to get ready ahead of time. I'm not saying this to insult you but look at it this way, in the long run all the money you paid to get in the FDNY will be repaid back to you. Whenever your on the job you will remember the time and effort you put in to get the job. Plus you don't know what kind of legal issues may arise from making a study material public. Permission has to be granted and don McNea won't let this happen because it ls money they are losing. Try to attend a meeting or buy the study book.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdnysmoky View Post
    Theres actually a good reason to spend the $50... How bout an opportunity to get the best job in the world? $50 is a bargain...

I'm glad I didn't blow $50 on this thing..
    Last edited by enwhycee1; 03-28-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

Follow up: I hung up & called right back to see if I'd get differing info. This time I got a woman who said all PSI could confirm is we'd know how many Q's we got right/wrong during the review. We COULD get some sort of score before hand, but that all depends on what DCAS decides to do.

So I gave DCAS a call to see if they could answer, the man I spoke to had no clue what was going on. Was giving incorrect info. I just said thanks and hung up, it wasn't going any where.

Thread Information