Like Tree9527Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Hey ovaltine_jenkins, you have NO idea how comforting it is to read your posts lol. I know MM and FFwnt2b were big with keeping what goes down at the academy under wraps which is completely understandable. You have a good balance of keeping it secretive yet giving us enough information to know what to expect. I can't speak for anyone else on this but I know that I'm extremely appreciative for your posts. Thank you so much.

And onwards to my question lol;

You stated in your previous post that you were what you figured to be "in good shape" before the academy. Could you define what that is considered to you? (How many push ups/pull ups in a clip) And I like to ask this to anyone who's been through the academy; What would you recommend one trains for the most before the academy? What should we really focus on?

Thank you again for all the insight. It really is invaluable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    jukez...you know all 80 drops are going back or are you guessing like the rest of us?
    Well everything is always speculation till it actually happens, so put this in the same category brother.
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

That is a question u can answer yourself, work on what you are bad at and you are never ft enough for the academy

Forum Member

The PT sessions consist of a workout that is repetitive, just make sure you can do push-ups, that is the bulk of you will be doing. Pull-ups and sit-ups you don't do that often, just at the beginning and the end when they reevaluate to see if you got better. Doesn't mean you don't still train on it. You could have a new fitness instructor that we didn't have, and he or she can insert those as a normal PT session. Like someone said, train on the stuff you suck at, it'll only help you in the long run.
    Just make sure you guys are running, you don't want to be that probie straggling at the end with the Drill instructors waiting for you in the parking lot.
    ovaltine_jenkins likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    The PT sessions consist of a workout that is repetitive, just make sure you can do push-ups, that is the bulk of you will be doing. Pull-ups and sit-ups you don't do that often, just at the beginning and the end when they reevaluate to see if you got better. Doesn't mean you don't still train on it. You could have a new fitness instructor that we didn't have, and he or she can insert those as a normal PT session. Like someone said, train on the stuff you suck at, it'll only help you in the long run.
    Just make sure you guys are running, you don't want to be that probie straggling at the end with the Drill instructors waiting for you in the parking lot.
    Thank you. Push ups are actually one of the things I'm not too shabby at. I should have rephrased my question a little better. What I meant to focus it towards was training for FST. The PT I'm not too insanely worried about. I've been doing circuit workouts to replicate PT as best I can. I know you guys stress that FST is a lot of technique but what physical aspect would you say is the hardest?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Thank you. Push ups are actually one of the things I'm not too shabby at. I should have rephrased my question a little better. What I meant to focus it towards was training for FST. The PT I'm not too insanely worried about. I've been doing circuit workouts to replicate PT as best I can. I know you guys stress that FST is a lot of technique but what physical aspect would you say is the hardest?
    If you are in shape, FST will get easier every time you do it. Don't get discouraged, when I did it the first time, I had a crappy time. The more and more you do it, time should keep dropping. You will learn how to control your breathing the more you wear the SCBA. You will be wearing that a lot after the first few classes on it. Practice as much as you can putting it on and off, face piece and the tank assembly. That is part of the FST course, you can gain time with those maneuvers.

Forum Member

FST is always going to be hard no matter who you are. Some people will be better at it than others, but it's still not easy for anybody. You should get better at it as you go because you will learn how to pace yourself through the course, as well as techniques to make each obstacle more manageable, but it's still tough.

I wish I could show up to the Rock once a week (or more) and do FST again.
    ovaltine_jenkins likes this.

Forum Member

There is no possible way to train for fst. You should all get that out of your mind. It is called a functional skills test because it tests your ability to do the job itself. IE showing up to a building, donning proper ppe, stretching a hose line to a top floor and putting a fire out on air for an engine evolution. There is no way to train for this besides doing and bettering your technique in performing the tasks themselves.

Have good cardio, muscle strength, and endurance and you will be fine. Don't and it will be torture. This entire academy is based off of cardio and endurance. They don't care if you can squat 1000lbs once. They'd rather you be able to squat 500lbs 100 times.

So how to train for fst?

Just train.

Best way to simulate is go out to a park, run as hard as you can for a minute then stop and do push ups to failure and pull ups to failure and then repeat.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    There is no possible way to train for fst. You should all get that out of your mind. It is called a functional skills test because it tests your ability to do the job itself. IE showing up to a building, donning proper ppe, stretching a hose line to a top floor and putting a fire out on air for an engine evolution. There is no way to train for this besides doing and bettering your technique in performing the tasks themselves.

Have good cardio, muscle strength, and endurance and you will be fine. Don't and it will be torture. This entire academy is based off of cardio and endurance. They don't care if you can squat 1000lbs once. They'd rather you be able to squat 500lbs 100 times.

So how to train for fst?

Just train.

Best way to simulate is go out to a park, run as hard as you can for a minute then stop and do push ups to failure and pull ups to failure and then repeat.
    Squat 500 lbs 100times. I'd like to see that.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Jukes where have you been man !!!! We still got a pending tic tac toe game !!! You have to tell your inside person to give you updates again!!!
    Took a break till I got something in the mail that's all bro lol. No tic tac toe though, it's bulking season! Haha

Forum Member

I can squat 315 7x perfect form tho
    List 20##
    Score 101

Forum Member

The numbers were just to prove a point. Not a p1ss1ng contest.

Forum Member

Hey ovaltine_jenkins, you have NO idea how comforting it is to read your posts lol. I know MM and FFwnt2b were big with keeping what goes down at the academy under wraps which is completely understandable. You have a good balance of keeping it secretive yet giving us enough information to know what to expect. I can't speak for anyone else on this but I know that I'm extremely appreciative for your posts. Thank you so much.

And onwards to my question lol;

You stated in your previous post that you were what you figured to be "in good shape" before the academy. Could you define what that is considered to you? (How many push ups/pull ups in a clip) And I like to ask this to anyone who's been through the academy; What would you recommend one trains for the most before the academy? What should we really focus on?

Thank you again for all the insight. It really is invaluable.
    I completely agree with what MM said when he posted a while ago that some things should remain secret and not to give everything away. I'm not going to give away specifics on classes, teams, instructors, DIs, etc, because it's up to you to learn the material for yourself and come to your own conclusions on how best to conduct yourself in the academy. But I have no problem giving away advice on how to better prepare oneself for success. And I mean, once you're in the academy, if you're having a problem with a specific evolution or subject, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to go over it, but follow the tradition that the guys from the last class have set and don't go telling everybody everything that is going on in the academy. The element of surprise and the unknown is a big part of the academy because it is a big part of the job - you never truly know what you got until you're on scene and even then things can change at a moments notice. Hopefully you'll get to hear from Mr. Cawley about his experiences in the Black Sunday fire when you're in there - it'll give you a true appreciation for how fast conditions can change and how dire situations can be; by far one of the best lectures you will get in the Academy.

Everybody knows the minimum physical requirements to not be in remedial PT, mile and a half in 12 minutes, 30 push-ups, situps, 4 pull-ups, etc. To prepare, I would do the P90X weight-based workouts, and then in lieu of the cardio days in P90X, I would run. Also, diet is incredibly important - I ate super clean for 6 months before the academy started; nothing processed, a lot of fish and grilled chicken on nut-based bread, vegetables, and fruits for snacks. My rule of thumb was that if it had an ingredient I couldn't pronounce, I didn't eat it. It'll suck at first - I remember craving chocolate for weeks. But after a while it goes away and it becomes really easy to stick to your new diet, and if you have a few extra lbs, it'll melt off. I wasn't fat, but I got really lean while preparing for the academy. While you're in the academy, you have to eat more. Not right away, but after a few weeks start upping your carb intake and always eat (a healthy) breakfast - real oatmeal, something like that. Bring a good lunch and some energy/protein/recovery bars for after PT. Peanut butter sandwiches are awesome to bring to fuel up between classes real quick.

If I could do it all over again, I'd stick with my diet, but I'd throw in some Insanity-type exercises as well, and I'd also run after each P90X workout, not just opposite days. Don't hurt yourself before you go in, but be prepared. It's all about endurance, but you need muscle too.

Forum Member

PACKET RECEIVED. 15xx
    The best birthday gift one could ask for.

Forum Member

This has been said here a thousand times and a thousand ways in the past, but I'm going to mention it again because, unfortunately, there is a good real life example. A probie that just graduated has made a habit of posting pictures of himself in uniform on facebook and instagram where either the picture itself is inappropriate, or his commentary related to it could be seen as inappropriate. I'm not going to post those here because it's not my place to spread it around, I just want to talk about the real consequences to "sexy selfie in bunker gear and no shirt". Dude apparently got reamed out by the Chief of Training in front of the rest of the class (hoping someone from 13-02 can confirm). He didn't learn and posted more dumb **** online more recently. Apparently the Chief of Training wanted to terminate him, but was stopped by higher ups (for the record the Chief of Training is one of the highest ranks in the department, there aren't very many higher ups to overrule his decision). Instead the guy has been fined 90 days pay and had his probationary period extended 3 years beyond normal (for a total of 4.5 years).

If you're serious about wanting the job then grow the **** up when it comes to anything you do online. The department's social media policy is far reaching and written such that they have a lot of latitude in deciding what content makes the department look bad. I'm not trying to talk **** about the guy in question, just putting it out there that there are consequences and they hurt. Not to mention I'd bet money that nearly every firehouse in the city knows this guy lost 90 days pay and what not for posting selfies on instagram.

Forum Member

It baffles my mind how someone could throw this opportunity away for some "likes" from his friends. It sure shows where his priorities are...

Thank you for the workout advice. I've heard mixed reviews about P90x but I'll look into it. I've been doing circuit workouts M/W/F till failure. Lots of push ups, pull ups, squats and burpees. Then T/TH are my HIIT days and running days. Then I usually try to squeeze a run in during the weekend.

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record with all of these fitness questions. I'm a guy who is a bit on the smaller side so it's a bit intimidating to hear ex-marines talking about their workouts. I just want to do everything in my power to be a stand up guy once I walk through those academy doors. The last person I want to be is "that guy" or the straggler. Thank you again for the advice.

Forum Member

It baffles my mind how someone could throw this opportunity away for some "likes" from his friends. It sure shows where his priorities are...

Thank you for the workout advice. I've heard mixed reviews about P90x but I'll look into it. I've been doing circuit workouts M/W/F till failure. Lots of push ups, pull ups, squats and burpees. Then T/TH are my HIIT days and running days. Then I usually try to squeeze a run in during the weekend.

I'm sorry to sound like a broken record with all of these fitness questions. I'm a guy who is a bit on the smaller side so it's a bit intimidating to hear ex-marines talking about their workouts. I just want to do everything in my power to be a stand up guy once I walk through those academy doors. The last person I want to be is "that guy" or the straggler. Thank you again for the advice.
    No such thing as an ex-marine , but by the sound of it it seems like you have a pretty good pt schedule goin, I'd say just keep pushing and no matter what don't give up
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Listen, this facebook thing really is insane. I'll admit, I've been on facebook for years. All that's on there are pictures of my kids and cars, my true loves. This guy not only disgraced the uniform twice, but I just saw another picture that he posted again wearing the uniform. He took it down, but I know people that saved it, and it's very accessible. You know that the department saw it also. I won't know the consequences of this one because I'm in the field now, so il just have to wait till it trickles down if there are any repercussions from it. This is what upsets me, he doesn't learn and should be terminated from this last offense.

Forum Member

Don't worry about size, yes, the stronger you are, the easier some evolutions are. Some smaller guys have it easier in some evolutions also, you will see where the big guys struggle is where the little guys does better.
    If you have the will, and the endurance, you will get through it physically.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 12-07-2013 at 08:33 PM.
    Mtk123 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Listen, this facebook thing really is insane. I'll admit, I've been on facebook for years. All that's on there are pictures of my kids and cars, my true loves. This guy not only disgraced the uniform twice, but I just saw another picture that he posted again wearing the uniform. He took it down, but I know people that saved it, and it's very accessible. You know that the department saw it also. I won't know the consequences of this one because I'm in the field now, so il just have to wait till it trickles down if there are any repercussions from it. This is what upsets me, he doesn't learn and should be terminated from this last offense.
    the 90 day stip and extended probation were in the department orders, if worse happens about him you'll know about it there. The best part about the 3rd picture was I saw it while just searching instagram for any pictures with #fdny. Gotta love the stupidity. #mobbedout

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    the 90 day stip and extended probation were in the department orders, if worse happens about him you'll know about it there. The best part about the 3rd picture was I saw it while just searching instagram for any pictures with #fdny. Gotta love the stupidity. #mobbedout
    Don't forget he wasn't allowed at graduation.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I want to see these pictures, I havent seen any yet and I feel so out of the loop while everyone talks about them and I have no clue whats going on lol.

Forum Member

Don't worry about size, yes, the stronger you are, the easier some evolutions are. Some smaller guys have it easier in some evolutions also, you will see where the big guys struggle is where the little guys does better.
    If you have the will, and the endurance, you will get through it physically.
    Thanks thats really comforting to hear. The will is through the roof!

Going for a late night run because you fellas got me amped up.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I want to see these pictures, I havent seen any yet and I feel so out of the loop while everyone talks about them and I have no clue whats going on lol.
    Oh man me too !!! If you get a hold of them on me ... I can't believe I missed it because I'm always searching #fdny to see what new probies are doing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Oh man me too !!! If you get a hold of them on me ... I can't believe I missed it because I'm always searching #fdny to see what new probies are doing
    Stop beating around the bush and just buy the calendar, dude...

Thread Information