Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 647 of 1144 FirstFirst ... 147547597637644645646647648649650657697747 ... LastLast
Results 12,921 to 12,940 of 22872
Like Tree8986Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Its funny PD hires a lot of whacko cops that get caught up in stuff in the news.. The fail me, but D.O.C hires me and gives me the authority to carry a firearm.. When a lot of my friends got themselves a firearm to carry off duty, I haven't went and got myself a firearm, and in fact have no desire to carry a firearm off duty because of the problems that it can cause.

FDNY was my dream job many years ago before I took the 2007 test... When I took the 2007 test, I was disappointed to realize that I would not get the job, because I scored 12,000ish on the list, which to me I KNEW they weren't going to reach me. Then the list got thrown out anyway.

Then NYPD became my new dream job and something I wanted so bad. I was a skinny kid, real skinny, I started hitting the gym, put on 20 LBs got much stronger and was so pumped for nypd. Unfortunately that didn't work out. I felt I was very deserving of the job, and I just got screwed out of it. I took the D.O.C test just to take it as a backup plan when all else fails. Well shortly after NYPD DQ'ed me, and years after I took the D.O.C test, they just called me outta no where and started processing me. Its funny to say, but D.O.C was extremely nice and helpful during the hiring process. Where NYPD's attitude was call out of your job on short notice to come to appointments for a job you don't even have or else don't get this job, D.O.C was willing to work with me and schedule my appointments around my job. My D.O.C investigator appreciated the fact that I gave her ALL my paperwork and had it neatly organized just perfectly for her the 1st time I met her, and in return she got me into the next available class. The psych for D.O.C realized I got nypd DQ'ed, but he took a minute to analyze my situation and see that im fit for the job. since ive been with D.O.C, my record has been perfect, no call outs, no latenesses, and I even come to work 2 hours before my shift starts (I live no where near rikers island btw, so its a lengthy commute) everyday just to use the gym and get myself more prepared for FDNY.

the FDNY test I took again last yr, but I basically took it just to give myself an opportunity, because after what happened with the last test getting thrown out and this PH hiring thing, I really didn't want to get my hopes or expectations up for FDNY.

Now I realize that scoring in the top 1000, I have a chance to get into FDNY.

I want to get the F*ck outta D.O.C because its wasted talent. Im not helping anybody here or doing anything productive in D.O.C, im just responsible for the care of scumbags and working with bad staff. I don't have any satisfaction at the end of the day for supervising these guys, and I get irritated sometimes from working with the crappy people that I work with.

Im hoping I can get into FDNY, where I can utilize my time to help people and have a productive job.

And its definitely not about the money for me, because believe it or not going from D.O.C to FDNY I would be making less money.
    Dear Diary...

(j/k, lol, I feel ya)
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Not only is your source UNrealiable but absurd as well. This is not the navy seals training to get that many drops in 3 days..... The stuff they do in the first 3 days is CRAP compare to the stuff you do a few weeks in. As far as I know is 12 drops only, most EMS...
    Alright, thats what I heard from a guy who was at the rock yesterday, maybe hes wrong then, he said something like 5 drops just the other day, same day. maybe they are exaggerating then, idk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by inthrewtheoutdor View Post
    Alright, thats what I heard from a guy who was at the rock yesterday, maybe hes wrong then, he said something like 5 drops just the other day, same day. maybe they are exaggerating then, idk.
    When I was in the academy I didn't really have a clue how many guys had dropped, or may be out on medical leave at the moment. Your friend should be too busy just trying to make it through the day to be concerned with that stuff.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    hey, check your pm's when you have a chance. i wrote you a message yesterday. thanks.
    Got it, I haven't had access to a computer in a few days and I'm not a fan of writing novels on my phone.

Forum Member

My friend has his medical next week. He is concerned about his medical because he has hardware in his leg (metal). Whats is the fdnys policy as far as that is concerned? What goes on at the medical as far as xrays?

Has anyone else disclosed having hardware in their body and what happened?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    My friend has his medical next week. He is concerned about his medical because he has hardware in his leg (metal). Whats is the fdnys policy as far as that is concerned? What goes on at the medical as far as xrays?

Has anyone else disclosed having hardware in their body and what happened?
    Its different for every person. There isn't one standard rule for someone with an operation or hardware. I know people who had screws in there knee and all they had to do was come back, see the doctor and perform some exercises to show it wasnt a problem. A metal rod sounds a little serious, but the doctors take it case by case so no one really knows. Also I would definitely tell them about it. They are gonna check all over and if they see a scar of something and you didn't tell them about it then your going to be DQ'ed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Got it, I haven't had access to a computer in a few days and I'm not a fan of writing novels on my phone.
    No problem, whenever you have the time, thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Its different for every person. There isn't one standard rule for someone with an operation or hardware. I know people who had screws in there knee and all they had to do was come back, see the doctor and perform some exercises to show it wasnt a problem. A metal rod sounds a little serious, but the doctors take it case by case so no one really knows. Also I would definitely tell them about it. They are gonna check all over and if they see a scar of something and you didn't tell them about it then your going to be DQ'ed.
    Thank you for the reply. ANyone else have any experience with this?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYPDtoFD View Post
    Dear Diary...

(j/k, lol, I feel ya)
    Why dont ya write a book about it? Oh. You just did.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Thank you for the reply. ANyone else have any experience with this?
    I'm going to be totally honest with you..... Your friend is not looking good... Problem is that when you get a metal rod in order for you to function properly there's a chance that after a rigorous heavy and physical activity that metal might not hold. Will this happen in the academy? No... Will it happen out in the field? Probably not... But the fire department will not be liable for this.... Doesn't mean he should stop trying, but like NYC said... Every case is different just tell him not to lie cause if they find out he will get dqed automatically

Forum Member

Honestly, if you have hardware.....you're in a bad spot and I'm thinking it'll be a DQ. If it were me, I might forget to put that on paper......ya know, don't lie, but maybe have a bad memory that day. They will x-ray your chest, but that's probably it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. He has no problem whatsoever physically. He has run half marathons before and works out regularly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Honestly, if you have hardware.....you're in a bad spot and I'm thinking it'll be a DQ. If it were me, I might forget to put that on paper......ya know, don't lie, but maybe have a bad memory that day. They will x-ray your chest, but that's probably it.
    I agree with what your saying but what if they see a scar on his body and start asking about it.

http://eng202lad101.tripod.com/timetoweep.html

I found the above article with a similar situation

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    They processed through 300 on the OC list for medicals before the July class so who ever passed everything between 100ish and 300 is just waiting for the run.
    Do we know what number on the OC list they reached for the current academy? Just to put things in perspective for us hoping for January...

Forum Member

Got my Medical appointment today! August 28th, list number 63X! Any tips out there to defeat this dreaded Stair Test that I have been reading horror stories about this past year?? My thoughts are just keep the runs up and actually practice on the machine. I have been using increments of 25lb weights and a book bag. I flew through the CPAT with ease but still, my heart rate is right at the limit usually...scary

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNoVowel View Post
    Got my Medical appointment today! August 28th, list number 63X! Any tips out there to defeat this dreaded Stair Test that I have been reading horror stories about this past year?? My thoughts are just keep the runs up and actually practice on the machine. I have been using increments of 25lb weights and a book bag. I flew through the CPAT with ease but still, my heart rate is right at the limit usually...scary
    Don't dread it; kick its ***. Prepare accordingly, breathe easy and don't think about it. Just walk, and you'll be fine. Drive yourself crazy about it and you'll fail. The only thing I'll tell you besides that is stay away from coffee or tea that morning.
    CableGuy516 and JoeNoVowel like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNoVowel View Post
    Joe I'm same date as you have you taken or got the psych test yet

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    Joe I'm same date as you have you taken or got the psych test yet
    No news on the psych yet, patiently waiting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Ohh Boy, key words "I'm thinking it'll be a DQ." It wont be. My friend that was the January class that just passed broke his neck and was shot in the arm. He has more nuts and bolts in him then Frankenstein. As long as you get evaluated by a different doctor preferably a Physical Therapist he should be fine

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JFKills View Post
    Ohh Boy, key words "I'm thinking it'll be a DQ." It wont be. My friend that was the January class that just passed broke his neck and was shot in the arm. He has more nuts and bolts in him then Frankenstein. As long as you get evaluated by a different doctor preferably a Physical Therapist he should be fine
    It's better to plan for the worst.. Hope for the best..

I wish they had like an open forum with like FDNY doctors,investigators, and DIs..just feels like there's too many 1 off situations that could easily be corrected before hand that way..

Thread Information