Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 15556263646566676875115165565 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 20348
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #1281
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    206

    Default

    That statement, word for word, "I enjoy daily routines" is straight out of my packet from one of the cram courses I was in.

    The instructor told us to say AGREE


  2. #1282
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Evenin', Fellas. You're going against the advice of your instructors in trying to de-code the questions. The questions are designed to find the best candidate for the job. If you don't like routines, then disagree. If you like routines, then agree. There'll likely be 10 other questions attempting to find out the exact same information, only it will be worded differently.

    Also, I'm not sure who said it but the background survey is not the same, and will not replace, the written psychological examination.

  3. #1283
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    To those who want to know what's on the test from those who have an early test date, I think you're a joke. Nobody on here is anyone's "bro" or "brother", yet. Right now, we are all each others competition. If I work hard enough to be hired, I'm more than glad to lend a helping hand to my fellow probies. But to those who want "insider information" from those who have an early test date, you're no better than the groups who ask for crap they didn't earn.

    Maybe I'm a pr*ck, but that is my opinion. I guess that's the Marine in me that has this weird desire to earn what I get. I'm asking that those who take the test early do not share any information once they take the exam. Why give your competition an advantage that you did not have. That would suck if you missed a question and you "hooked up" someone you didn't know and they got hired and you didn't.
    Couldn't agree more. I took the exam today. Good luck to all taking it in the next few weeks, but please do everybody a favor and keep a tight lip on any details. Anybody who gives up info is screwing everybody who takes it early and after the past 4 years it would be pretty crappy to be at a disadvantage just for taking the exam on the first day it was given. I know there are probably 100's of different questions and maybe nobody will take the same exact exam, but i knew nothing about specifics of the test going into it and that's how it should be for every other candidate.

  4. #1284
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I recall the officer at my prep class saying that you could appeal/protest certain questions that you get wrong, after the exam takes place. Does anyone know anything about this?

  5. #1285
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I took the exam today. Good luck to all taking it in the next few weeks, but please do everybody a favor and keep a tight lip on any details. Anybody who gives up info is screwing everybody who takes it early and after the past 4 years it would be pretty crappy to be at a disadvantage just for taking the exam on the first day it was given. I know there are probably 100's of different questions and maybe nobody will take the same exact exam, but i knew nothing about specifics of the test going into it and that's how it should be for every other candidate.
    good luck man, how do you think you did?

  6. #1286
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellestoria View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I took the exam today. Good luck to all taking it in the next few weeks, but please do everybody a favor and keep a tight lip on any details. Anybody who gives up info is screwing everybody who takes it early and after the past 4 years it would be pretty crappy to be at a disadvantage just for taking the exam on the first day it was given. I know there are probably 100's of different questions and maybe nobody will take the same exact exam, but i knew nothing about specifics of the test going into it and that's how it should be for every other candidate.
    I think your absolutely right but it would be nice for you to share your feelings on the test overall. Do you think it was fair did you find it easy. That's if it's ok with you.

  7. #1287
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enwhycee1 View Post
    I recall the officer at my prep class saying that you could appeal/protest certain questions that you get wrong, after the exam takes place. Does anyone know anything about this?
    You can protest questions on any city exam

  8. #1288
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    306

    Default

    I have a general question to those who have already taken the exam. Did they tell you your final score or how many questions you got right/wrong? I'd appreciate it if anyone could share this info. Thanks!
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

  9. #1289
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    That information would be nice to know. Computerized testing for NYPD gives your raw score at the end and even puts it on a nice piece of paper. That test didn't have a personality/background survey though.

  10. #1290
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Evenin', Fellas. You're going against the advice of your instructors in trying to de-code the questions. The questions are designed to find the best candidate for the job. If you don't like routines, then disagree. If you like routines, then agree. There'll likely be 10 other questions attempting to find out the exact same information, only it will be worded differently.

    Also, I'm not sure who said it but the background survey is not the same, and will not replace, the written psychological examination.

    I see what you mean, and that is a good point, but....the issue with the Q we are going back and forth on is way too general. You could like daily routines when it comes to your diet, when you work out, when you read, do stuff around your house....but also like to be spontaneous other times. That's my beef with the Q.

  11. #1291
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I took the test yesterday and I thought the test was very fair unlike the last one. If you've studied and took practice tests you have nothing to worry about. No you don't get a score at the end since I'm sure they haven't figured out how they're going to score all of the personality based questions. Best of luck to all of you and hopefully see you at the Rock soon!

  12. #1292
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I took the test yesterday and I thought the test was very fair unlike the last one. If you've studied and took practice tests you have nothing to worry about. No you don't get a score at the end since I'm sure they haven't figured out how they're going to score all of the personality based questions. Best of luck to all of you and hopefully see you at the Rock soon!
    Wait, "fair unlike the last one." Please educate me as to how exactly the last one was unfair and what makes this one so "fair."

  13. #1293
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    Wait, "fair unlike the last one." Please educate me as to how exactly the last one was unfair and what makes this one so "fair."
    I'm sure he just meant that this time we were actually told what will be on the test unlike 6019 when we were blindsided by a 1/3 of the test being personality questions.

  14. #1294
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Gimme, sorry that didn't come across very well. River is exactly right with what I meant. Thinking I was prepared for that last test and then being thrown that nonsense "spilled chilli" question was ridiculous. There are no surprises on this test, that's all I was getting at.

  15. #1295
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I'm sure he just meant that this time we were actually told what will be on the test unlike 6019 when we were blindsided by a 1/3 of the test being personality questions.
    When you took your SAT'S did the colleges you applied to offer you study guides and FREE courses to help you prepare?

    We're trying to get a job with the best fire department in the world, why should we know whats on the exam? As far as I'm concerned nobody should know whats on the exam and then the truly best candidates will easily standout. If you think a test that's given over the course of two months is more fair than a test everybody took on one day at the same exact time, you're delusional.

  16. #1296
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    When you took your SAT'S did the colleges you applied to offer you study guides and FREE courses to help you prepare?

    We're trying to get a job with the best fire department in the world, why should we know whats on the exam? As far as I'm concerned nobody should know whats on the exam and then the truly best candidates will easily standout. If you think a test that's given over the course of two months is more fair than a test everybody took on one day at the same exact time, you're delusional.
    One word Kaplan.
    But I also understand your point of view.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 03-16-2012 at 10:30 AM.

  17. #1297
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    One word Kaplan.
    But I also understand your point of view.
    "One word," D0UCHE. I capitalized FREE for a reason! Kaplan is a private company offering prep just like all these other companies that came out of the woodwork for this exam.

    Pay attention to detail, its a trait you'll need to excel on civil service exams.
    Last edited by GIMMEFIRE600; 03-16-2012 at 10:44 AM.

  18. #1298
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Got my exam tomorrow at noon. Got a good feeling about it. Feel like I prepared myself enough to do well on it. Who knows about the personality questions and how they're going to grade them.

  19. #1299
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    When you took your SAT'S did the colleges you applied to offer you study guides and FREE courses to help you prepare?

    We're trying to get a job with the best fire department in the world, why should we know whats on the exam? As far as I'm concerned nobody should know whats on the exam and then the truly best candidates will easily standout. If you think a test that's given over the course of two months is more fair than a test everybody took on one day at the same exact time, you're delusional.
    Agreed - Before this exam there wasn't a person gunning for this job that wasn't treated fairly. You sat down and took a test on the same date with the same questions without having to divulge all this racial information so we can see the results of this whole "diversification" project. Now we got guys on the verge of getting backpay and maybe hired from decade old exams, whites being shunned by the Vulcans at test preps, personality questions that would have Einstein scratching his head, and an exam that will be given out for almost a 2 month span (as Gimme said). I gave up on "Fair" back in '08.

  20. #1300
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    When you took your SAT'S did the colleges you applied to offer you study guides and FREE courses to help you prepare?

    We're trying to get a job with the best fire department in the world, why should we know whats on the exam? As far as I'm concerned nobody should know whats on the exam and then the truly best candidates will easily standout. If you think a test that's given over the course of two months is more fair than a test everybody took on one day at the same exact time, you're delusional.
    The PSATs we pretty damn exact as to what to expect on the actual SATs. I dont recall to many schools not having those. Honestly 6019 was a fair test because we all got surprised by the personality section equally. But if there was a special book that you had to buy to know about that section or an exclusive course THEN it would've been BS. But as it were we all had the same disadvantages in that section.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 44 users browsing this thread. (9 members and 35 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer,
  2. Bee1985,
  3. BrooklynBravest,
  4. FDNYProspect,
  5. Matador611,
  6. MuscleHamster,
  7. NycQ83,
  8. Prosc15,
  9. vekdoggs75

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts