Like Tree9519Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by general_cornwalis View Post
    guys, you do know its futile to argue with anyone who is "vulcan" right? back to more important things since ive amp'd up my training. I'm from bensonhurst and a few ppl have hit me up asking me if i wanna go for a run 2miles + etc... i always ignor ethis because I hate running. i run at the gym for the exact amount i have to run and thats it. or ill do elliptical for a many many miles. My question is am i looking at this the wrong way? or are most ppl on here being a little to paranoid about running and not paying attention to over all fitness. Why would anyone want to run 3-5 miles and and run everyday and put crazy stress on your knees. That poor kid from a few days ago saying he ran 5 miles and his shins are hurting. Honestly how dumb is that. Please some advice. i currently run 1.7 miles in 14 minutes. i am perfectly on pace to do the necessary run. am i being short sided? should i plan to run 3 miles or some other random *** number like some of the crazies on this forum?

PS I hate running
    I felt the same way at first man, but I actually learned to enjoy it. I think a lot of guys here who were either in the military or played some sort of sport hold onto the preconceived notion of running being associated with punishment. Once I learned to let go of that, it actually became really enjoyable. Start off with like a mile/mile and a half outside, maybe a park you like or somewhere with a nice view of the skyline. Get some pump up music going on your ipod. Whatever it takes. After that start adding .5 miles a week or so. No reason to rush and put yourself out of contention with an injury.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

guys, you do know its futile to argue with anyone who is "vulcan" right? back to more important things since ive amp'd up my training. I'm from bensonhurst and a few ppl have hit me up asking me if i wanna go for a run 2miles + etc... i always ignor ethis because I hate running. i run at the gym for the exact amount i have to run and thats it. or ill do elliptical for a many many miles. My question is am i looking at this the wrong way? or are most ppl on here being a little to paranoid about running and not paying attention to over all fitness. Why would anyone want to run 3-5 miles and and run everyday and put crazy stress on your knees. That poor kid from a few days ago saying he ran 5 miles and his shins are hurting. Honestly how dumb is that. Please some advice. i currently run 1.7 miles in 14 minutes. i am perfectly on pace to do the necessary run. am i being short sided? should i plan to run 3 miles or some other random *** number like some of the crazies on this forum?

PS I hate running
    In addition to what FFwnt2b said, running on a treadmill is VERY different then running outside. Outside is much hard and takes time to get used to. I suggest you get past your hate for running, or at least put it aside and start running. I'd start now cuase it takes time to ease into. I'd also start running more than 1.7 miles.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    In addition to what FFwnt2b said, running on a treadmill is VERY different then running outside. Outside is much hard and takes time to get used to. I suggest you get past your hate for running, or at least put it aside and start running. I'd start now cuase it takes time to ease into. I'd also start running more than 1.7 miles.
    Running outside is also harder because you're dealing with wind resistance whereas on a treadmill there is no resistance (unless you're running on an incline). You're also dealing with uneven ground, not to mention cold temperatures (if you're training around this time of year).

I'm ambivalent when it comes to running. I do it because I know it's great for the body and I can be physically ready for if and when they reach my list #, but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as weight training. Remember though, running is all they will have us do in the academy so if you can at least learn to tolerate it, you'd be much better off. Building your endurance takes time, along with everything else. Definitely start now.
    Last edited by Patiently_Waiting; 12-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

PS I hate running

Learn to at least not hate running. Not saying you need to run 10 miles a day 5 times a week, but I would suggest building up your miles safely. I believe a couple of pages back, someone posted a few good links on how to do so... I wouldn't suggest shooting for the minimum qualifications.

You only need to do 30 push-ups in 1 minute, I am sure you plan on being able to do well more than that...

Forum Member

By the way, I stumbled upon this simple, great workout that from what I hear, would be beneficial to CPAT/Academy training. It has a good progression and it's used by the Hotshot forest fire crews out west.

http://www.hotshotfitness.com/hotshotworkout.html
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    By the way, I stumbled upon this simple, great workout that from what I hear, would be beneficial to CPAT/Academy training. It has a good progression and it's used by the Hotshot forest fire crews out west.

http://www.hotshotfitness.com/hotshotworkout.html
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/c...a/012204_2.htm

This is the navy seal training program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/c...a/012204_2.htm

This is the navy seal training program.
    Even better haha. Can't go wrong with that.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    You got it. Hopefully he's right. But being in the 900's I'm on the cusp of the possibility of getting hired.
    Yea that's what I've been told to, that my number is on the cusp so just be ready, but this is the first I'm hearing of run letters going out on the 23rd
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Even better haha. Can't go wrong with that.
    It builds up real quick, but if you can make it to the last week, I would say you should be in a good spot for the PT part of the academy...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    Yea that's what I've been told to, that my number is on the cusp so just be ready, but this is the first I'm hearing of run letters going out on the 23rd
    Just curious, where did you hear this?

Forum Member

I am confused on how run letters work. If you receive a run letter are you pretty much guaranteed a spot baring something like what happened to the guys on the last exam (i.e. budget/hiring freeze). Or if you are one of the last people to get a letter and everyone in front of you passes, will you wind up doing the run and not having a spot in January?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    And for the cpat training depending on what day you pick you go every other week for 6 sessions. My cpat came somewhere around my 4th or 5th session
    Thank you for the response.

Your CPAT appointment came on the 4th or 5th? Or the actual testing?

When you receive your appointment, how long is the wait? 2 weeks?

Forum Member

so i just heard something very interesting and wanted to know if any of the guys that just got on can clarify. apparently if you get hurt now within the first 5 years you lose your job entirely. now does that mean broken leg hurt and you don't get light duty or so hurt that it will keep you performing the job for you career? i'm guessing it just means no 1/2 pensions if you hurt first 5 years. hopefully one of you guys can shed some light on this. thanks.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    Thank you for the response.

Your CPAT appointment came on the 4th or 5th? Or the actual testing?

When you receive your appointment, how long is the wait? 2 weeks?
    The actual cpat given by dcas is separate from the training at the rock. I didn't go to the last two training sessions at the rock because i had already passed my 1st cpat trial with dcas. In fact once you start the training at the rock you'll realize the number of people showing up decreases each time because guys finish and stop coming. The wait war maybe 2-3 weeks I don't exactly remember but in that area

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    so i just heard something very interesting and wanted to know if any of the guys that just got on can clarify. apparently if you get hurt now within the first 5 years you lose your job entirely. now does that mean broken leg hurt and you don't get light duty or so hurt that it will keep you performing the job for you career? i'm guessing it just means no 1/2 pensions if you hurt first 5 years. hopefully one of you guys can shed some light on this. thanks.
    This seems like hogwash.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    This seems like hogwash.
    No way this is true.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I am guessing this is supposed to mean "if you get hurt outside the job". There's no way that you wouldn't get the disability pension if you got hurt at work. As a rule though you aren't vested into the pension system until 5 years on, meaning if you were to resign for any reason in those first 5 years you're just plain out of the pension (I think you get your money back). Once you hit 5 then if you were to leave, or get hurt/killed off the job, or whatever you'd get a percentage of the full pension amount.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    what is the highest list number reached for medicals? did the get to 11-1300s yet?
    I am in the 1100's and still waiting for a medical date.
    Score: 102
    List: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29th
    CPAT: Nov 9th
    Psych: Jan 25th
    Medical: Jan28th
    Run Date: June 25th

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Just curious, where did you hear this?
    That's what I was told by my mentor, he said from what he hears I should be on the cusp, but I know nothing is set until I get a letter so I'm just training as if I am
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Just finished up a nice 2.5 mile run. Black ice makes it a scary experience, but I wanted to get a little something in. I'm finally starting to see improvements with my running in colder weather. On a day where ice and snow isn't a problem I can finally reach up to 3.5 miles. It's hard to get used to but keep training and get used to the cold weather. It'll pay off in the end.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DedicatedAmbition View Post
    Just finished up a nice 2.5 mile run. Black ice makes it a scary experience, but I wanted to get a little something in. I'm finally starting to see improvements with my running in colder weather. On a day where ice and snow isn't a problem I can finally reach up to 3.5 miles. It's hard to get used to but keep training and get used to the cold weather. It'll pay off in the end.
    Be careful! I went for a 5 mile run myself and thankfully only stumbled once. The weather is going to stay below freezing for the rest of week so there are a lot of possible icy spots especially at night or early morning. If you live in the Dyker Heights area, be really careful because our lovely neighbors couldn't salt sidewalks on account that the snow fell in the middle of the day.

Forum Member

Yeah I was gonna bring that up. Are you guys really running with the possibility of ice on the floor? I feel like that's way too risky. An injury at this point is game changing, I don't think it's worth the risk. I supplemented for running with stairs today. How do you guys feel about it?

Made it 70 floors up on the stair master with 50lbs on. I'm comin for you Gianni, haha.
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Yeah I was gonna bring that up. Are you guys really running with the possibility of ice on the floor? I feel like that's way too risky. An injury at this point is game changing, I don't think it's worth the risk. I supplemented for running with stairs today. How do you guys feel about it?

Made it 70 floors up on the stair master with 50lbs on. I'm comin for you Gianni, haha.
    I'm with you on this one. Slipping and breaking an ankle a month before the run would be stupid. The risk isn't worth it for me. I'm well under 12min so a few days inside on a treadmill or stairmill won't kill me. I want to run outside but just walking my dog I almost slipped on black ice
    Dannypanigale likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I'm with you on this one. Slipping and breaking an ankle a month before the run would be stupid. The risk isn't worth it for me. I'm well under 12min so a few days inside on a treadmill or stairmill won't kill me. I want to run outside but just walking my dog I almost slipped on black ice
    I just got back from a run about 20 minutes ago...lets just say that wasn't the safest and/or smartest thing to do! But on a brighter note, thank god for Under Armour!

Forum Member

MM, you could probably answer this best;

On those frigid February days when you guys went running, did you wear the grey under armor like shirts/shorts under your red sweats? I don't see those red sweats defending you much from the cold lol.

Thread Information