Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 659 of 1197 FirstFirst ... 1595596096496566576586596606616626697097591159 ... LastLast
Results 13,161 to 13,180 of 23932
Like Tree9375Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    Damn stair master got me today as well...and most everyone else for that matter! I made it past the warm up and was "qualified" to take the 5:12 test with the weighted vest. At the end of 5:12, my heart rate was over the max, and they said "see you in about a month".

Anywho, the way it goes is...You jump on the step machine with no vest for 3 minutes. Your heart rate is dependent on your age, there was no doubling your resting heart rate thing going on (at least not that I was told). They have a chart with the maximum heart rate for each age in years. So for example, I'm 36 (Yes I'm an old fart now, lol) and on the chart it says 36 years of age = max heart rate of 166. THAT is the heart rate you cannot go over during the no weight phase, and the weighted vest phase. If you go over that on the no weight phase, you no get to use weights and play with big boys, lol. If you don't go over, then you are "qualified" to take the test with weighted vest.

If you fail the weighted portion, then you get to pick a date to come back and retry. The longest you get is 1 month. On your retry, you go through the same song and dance (No weight 3 mins, then weighted for 5 mins 12 sec). There will be a doctor monitoring on the retry. If you do not go over max heart rate at the 5min 12 sec mark, you pass and you are done. If your heart rate is over, then doc gives ok (depending on how you look) to go on until you reach 8 mins. If you reach 8 mins, and doc looks at you and you aren't ready to keel over or something, then you pass.

Sorry for the long explanation, and hope if helped you and not further confused you.
    Thanks dude - Interesting how the doc monitors guys on the 2nd try now.

Forum Member

Question here. I passed everything up to and including the medical and psych. I should be getting a letter for the run for the January academy, and just want to make sure.. They don't skip anybody on the list do they?

Even though I've passed everything and am still eligible, I wanna make sure that I get that letter for the run in January.

This is a dream job for me and I'm training 5 days a week for this, as hard as I can. I'll be damned if I pass everything, and somehow still don't get a letter in the mail for the 1.5 mile run come January.
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Sitting in the 650-670 range. Did anyone around me receive their medical date yet? If so please let me know when. Getting a bit antsy.

Forum Member

guys Im guessing that after the medical and psych thats when the investigators call your past jobs? Would it disqualify me you think if I have been fired from a couple of jobs for just not being good at the job not stealing etc?

Forum Member

Just wanted to send out a cpngrats to the guys who did their medicals today..

Don't let the stair master get you down..

1 step closer to the dream. Keep your heads up.

Forum Member

Congrats to all the guys that pass their medical.
    Update on the academy 35 total is out.
    10 on medical leave, 3 PH, 4 OC, rest are EMS that left.
    PH are not able to come back once they quit.
    So far 2 PH are on medical leave which are able to come back for the January class.

Forum Member

if you fail the stair master the first time around to not worry..seriously do not worry. the second time around it will not matter..YOU NEED TO KEEP STEPPING! do not give up because if you do then you will fail. it doesn't matter what your heart rate is so long as you complete the entire time allotted to you. a dude going alongside me fell off with about 35 seconds left and he failed. focus on your footing and getting a rhythm down and you cannot go wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    So far 2 PH are on medical leave which are able to come back for the January class.
    thanks for the update...how's the academy treating you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fdnyman View Post
    whoa, dont say that cause one already did resign and a phone call was made and now he is back, and is going to be in the next class

Forum Member

I have time to prepare which is why this forum is great. But my best bet would be to buy a weighted vest. Put 80lbs in it. and go on the step mill in your gym and monitor your heart rate. This seems like a sure "fire" way to pass the medical.

Also my PM is on now so lets get an email group together for ppl in the bensonhurst area that wanna get a group training session going.
    List 20##
    Score 101

Forum Member

why do you think most of these guys quit the academy? just not in good enough physical shape?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    why do you think most of these guys quit the academy? just not in good enough physical shape?
    Guys are just getting hurt, there are young guys and older guys getting hurt. A lot of leg injuries that I see. On the quitting side, yes, people just can't keep up with the physical demands. Only a few quit because they are afraid of the job itself.

Forum Member

Sitting in the 650-670 range. Did anyone around me receive their medical date yet? If so please let me know when. Getting a bit antsy!!!!!?????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY29 View Post
    Sitting in the 650-670 range. Did anyone around me receive their medical date yet? If so please let me know when. Getting a bit antsy.
    63X, Scheduled for Aug 28th...You should get yours soon...Keep Training!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    too much sand in their vaginas

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Guys are just getting hurt, there are young guys and older guys getting hurt. A lot of leg injuries that I see. On the quitting side, yes, people just can't keep up with the physical demands. Only a few quit because they are afraid of the job itself.
    What kind of leg injuries? We talking about broken bones or like pulled hammys?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    pulled muscles, sore muscles, hamstring, amoung other stupid things
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Not sure, but I'm pretty sure leg injuries. Im almost positive one guy tore his hamstring, but none of the injuries are mentioned, and I'm not asking. Just seems like when I see someone injured, they are hobbling.
    Just train guys, and stretch after you run, that it is what they do at the academy.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Currently in my late 20s. This is my last shot and I'm sitting in the mid 8000s. Considering joining the service just to subtract years off my age so I can sit for the next exam. Breaks my heart to see people drop out of the academy at this rate. Don't throw this opportunity away

Forum Member

I was told that one EMS guy quit because his granddad was sick........ Ima just get comfortable in my current career cause it seems like its going to be a while.
    FdnytolifeE293 likes this.

Thread Information