Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 663 of 1206 FirstFirst ... 1635636136536606616626636646656666737137631163 ... LastLast
Results 13,241 to 13,260 of 24116
Like Tree9400Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #13241
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Honestly, I feel that being a firefighter is more rewarding than being a cop but both are equally dangerous. Every now and then, you hear of a firefighter losing his life or getting hurt on the job but not as much as you hear a cop being shot by a person on the street. The sad reality is: as a firefighter, people know you died doing the right thing and it resonates out into the community. If you die as a cop, (and this is my personal opinion by the way and should not be taken the wrong way) then are those wonder why such senseless violence would occur and behold grudges and animosity towards the wrong things like ethnicity and poor neighborhoods.
    Nothing like a paragraph filled with words, but completely devoid of fact or rationality. First of all, great, you'd rather be a fireman. Hopefully when you're tending to a gun shot victim in the streets at 3am, those guys in blue watching you're back, find being a cop more rewarding. Secondly, and sadly enough, you say "every once in a while" you hear of a fireman getting killed. Well, unfortunately, the FDNY has many more line of duty deaths than any other city agency. So, your posting smacks of complacency and I'd say most cops AND firemen would find it insultingly callous.
    My1Goal and Bellestoria like this.


  2. #13242
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

    For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    (34) Played soccer the night before so didn't run in the morning
    (35) 1200m warm-up
    (REPEAT 6 TIMES) no clock; spirit 200m, walk 100m, spirit 100m, walk 100m
    1200m cool down
    (36) No run warm up. Feel free to run a warm up
    (37) 3 miles in 20:48(6:56mile pace) I did it a lil faster today 20:41
    (38) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (39) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:25 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (40) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:30 with 2min rest
    800m cool down

    Hey guys I dont know how many of you are using my workouts. But i know for a fact at least one person is, so thats enough reason for me to write this little thing.

    If you have followed my posts you know I havent posted in a couple weeks. I took two weeks off from training to let some small injuries heal up.

    When i came back to training I was going to go about 3% slower than I was going previously. I failed hard on my first workout. After some research I found that if an individual takes 2 weeks off from training that person will lose approximately 10% of there VO2 max capacity. If you take 1 week of from training you lose a negotiable amount of cardiovascular capacity. And the other number I remember is about you lose about 25% of VO2 max after not training for 12 weeks. Just something for everyone to keep in mind.

    Some other things...I previously wanted to keep my miles low and increase speed. Mainly training specifically for the medical and CPAT. I have since decided that is short sighted. Im yet to get back the size in my legs when I played soccer in college. But after peeking down at my legs I realized there is no way I can be as efficient as I was. For soccer I was probably running average of 60 miles a week. Now im not even doing 20. The goal now is to increase my distance and times. And I have also added biking. I plan on possibly entering a duathlon. Think this will be a great motivator to stay in shape after probie school as well.

    P.S. Sry if this was all over the place. Randomness before I put my head on a pillow
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  3. #13243
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Hey guys, any realistic chance I eventually get called at 46xx? (assuming they don't extend the list for whatever reason)

  4. #13244
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    84

    Default

    I think you have a chance at it if your under 5000. As the list goes on, the rate of hire down since a lot of guys wont want it or will lose interest.

  5. #13245
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Thanks for the shout out @Grok350 I know you're going to kill it when you go back.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  6. #13246
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Nothing like a paragraph filled with words, but completely devoid of fact or rationality. First of all, great, you'd rather be a fireman. Hopefully when you're tending to a gun shot victim in the streets at 3am, those guys in blue watching you're back, find being a cop more rewarding. Secondly, and sadly enough, you say "every once in a while" you hear of a fireman getting killed. Well, unfortunately, the FDNY has many more line of duty deaths than any other city agency. So, your posting smacks of complacency and I'd say most cops AND firemen would find it insultingly callous.
    Extremely Well Put
    NYPDtoFD likes this.

  7. #13247
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    What is the point of the FDNY's recruitment # 718-999-fdny? Everytime I call this number to get an update on the status of exam exam 2000 and where they are in terms of reaching my list number, they always say "I don't know".. and any other question I ask they never know.. wtf is the point of this number is everytime I call they can never answer any questions, and I'm left still not knowing anything? the test is given every 4-5 years, so what is the purpose of this recruitment number lol

  8. #13248
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    843

    Default

    Anyone get anything in the mail yet ? Anyone else for a medical today, this week ? Anything at all ?
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  9. #13249
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Anyone get anything in the mail yet ? Anyone else for a medical today, this week ? Anything at all ?
    Guess I haven't been the only one hitting refresh every 10 minutes
    TomFromQueens and NycQ83 like this.

  10. #13250
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Anyone get anything in the mail yet ? Anyone else for a medical today, this week ? Anything at all ?
    call the fdny recruitment number.. they'll be able to tell you nothing. lol
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  11. #13251
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

    For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    (34) Played soccer the night before so didn't run in the morning
    (35) 1200m warm-up
    (REPEAT 6 TIMES) no clock; spirit 200m, walk 100m, spirit 100m, walk 100m
    1200m cool down
    (36) No run warm up. Feel free to run a warm up
    (37) 3 miles in 20:48(6:56mile pace) I did it a lil faster today 20:41
    (38) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (39) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:25 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (40) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:30 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (41) 6 miles of biking
    1 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (42) 3-1600m 7min w/ 3:30 rest

    Went back to previous exercises for this week. Will be adding distance in the upcoming weeks. "cardio days" will be 5 or 6 mile workouts
    CableGuy516 likes this.

  12. #13252
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    What is the point of the FDNY's recruitment # 718-999-fdny? Everytime I call this number to get an update on the status of exam exam 2000 and where they are in terms of reaching my list number, they always say "I don't know".. and any other question I ask they never know.. wtf is the point of this number is everytime I call they can never answer any questions, and I'm left still not knowing anything? the test is given every 4-5 years, so what is the purpose of this recruitment number lol
    Recruitment does not actually exist to help you. Recruitment is about appearing to make an effort at minority outreach while the chosen few in that unit receive unlimited overtime. If you are informed enough and care enough to come here then they are useless to you.

  13. #13253
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,220

    Default

    IS jumping rope considerably hard enough to be effective? I was ordering one for my grandmother lol cause she wanted one and was wondering if Its a legitimate exercise. I know boxers do it but was wondering if it will do much for cardio conditioning or is the primary benefit for boxers the foot work coordination. ? Thanks.

    Maybe we can start a double dutch team if I get good enough lol.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

  14. #13254
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    IS jumping rope considerably hard enough to be effective? I was ordering one for my grandmother lol cause she wanted one and was wondering if Its a legitimate exercise. I know boxers do it but was wondering if it will do much for cardio conditioning or is the primary benefit for boxers the foot work coordination. ? Thanks.

    Maybe we can start a double dutch team if I get good enough lol.
    Almost always did that as a warm up at my crossfit gym. It shouldn't be the only thing you do but it's no BS.

  15. #13255
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    IS jumping rope considerably hard enough to be effective? I was ordering one for my grandmother lol cause she wanted one and was wondering if Its a legitimate exercise. I know boxers do it but was wondering if it will do much for cardio conditioning or is the primary benefit for boxers the foot work coordination. ? Thanks.

    Maybe we can start a double dutch team if I get good enough lol.
    Double Dutch could be a good team building excersize at the academy

    I'm not smooth enough to jump rope.. I have cinder blocks for feet.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  16. #13256
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Peter Schiff is interviewing Frank Ricci (from the New Heaven case) right now

    http://schiffradio.com/f/live
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

  17. #13257
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Peter Schiff is interviewing Frank Ricci (from the New Heaven case) right now

    http://schiffradio.com/f/live
    The man spoke the truth

  18. #13258
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    The man spoke the truth
    I missed it. What did he say?

  19. #13259
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default

    680's list number received med letter yesterday for September 4
    HopefulFF likes this.

  20. #13260
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Recruitment does not actually exist to help you. Recruitment is about appearing to make an effort at minority outreach while the chosen few in that unit receive unlimited overtime. If you are informed enough and care enough to come here then they are useless to you.
    all jokes aside, im thinking of calling up and claiming to be a black guy, then i'll see how fast they help me.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 18 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 14 guests)

  1. IronBars,
  2. JRodPizza ,
  3. k20dc2,
  4. SI91

Similar Threads

  1. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  2. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts