Like Tree10634Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Just doing the step mill won't reduce your heart rate as your body is just adjusting to the work you are doing, if you want to lower then as the kind fellow said above, interval training that taxes your lungs and heart will lower it. Hit the outdoor track and so some speed work.

Forum Member

Exactly. For a while I was doing 1 minute sprints, 30 second high knees, 1 minute sprint, 30 second kick backs. I did this for 2 miles at least

Forum Member

An easy way I like to do interval train and get a run is to run laps on a standard track but sprint the straights or curves. You can start small and only sprint one straight per lap and build. But this is a great way to consistantly interval train.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    Just doing the step mill won't reduce your heart rate as your body is just adjusting to the work you are doing, if you want to lower then as the kind fellow said above, interval training that taxes your lungs and heart will lower it. Hit the outdoor track and so some speed work.
    Cool, I will work on that, Thanks for the feedback dude

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    An easy way I like to do interval train and get a run is to run laps on a standard track but sprint the straights or curves. You can start small and only sprint one straight per lap and build. But this is a great way to consistantly interval train.
    Yea that does sound like a good plan. Do you mean like run where your track is a straight-run and when the track begins its curve I should sprint instea of running, then repeat?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Yea that does sound like a good plan. Do you mean like run where your track is a straight-run and when the track begins its curve I should sprint instea of running, then repeat?
    Exactly. Do a jog/run on the curve and then sprint the distance of the straight.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Exactly. Do a jog/run on the curve and then sprint the distance of the straight.
    Sounds good! Thanks for the info. This this lower your heart rate btw? Im thinking now I should actually implement this into my stairmaster workouts as well, instead of maintaining a Level 6 speed on the stairmaster for 100 flights, I should increase the intensity for a few min, then lower it, and repeat. Do you think thats a good idea? Its kind of like tricking my heart into thinking the intensity will remain low whn i lower the intensity, but by raising it again, it never gets too comfortable and my HR is never constant.

Forum Member

You can even go to your local playground with a yard and just do some sprints, someone here posted their speed work workouts which are really good for training. The first two weeks if done right will make you feel you are going to vomit but your body will adjust. No track, then just do sprints, jog back and repeat

Forum Member

This type of training is not intervals it is called fartlek training
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    This type of training is not intervals it is called fartlek training
    Eh, when I hear the word fartlek, I revert back to the Marine Corps where you integrate calisthenics in with the intervals.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Cool, I will work on that, Thanks for the feedback dude
    You can perform a HIIT (high intensity interval training) workout doing anything from jumping jacks, burpees (my personal favorite), mountain climbers, pullups, etc. Incorporate some weight training moves for an even more effective workout. Also, don't believe in the old adage of 30 seconds all out effort, 1 minute rest, and repeat, or some variation of that. It all depends on your heart rate, which is why wearing a heart rate monitor during HIIT is optimal, and is crucial for not exerting more effort than your heart is capable of.

However, you don't want to perform HIIT more than 3 times a week because it's very taxing on the nervous system.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Eh, when I hear the word fartlek, I revert back to the Marine Corps where you integrate calisthenics in with the intervals.
    im not bragging...

but for guys who are newer to the forums...Go back to my posts and find my last INTERVAL workout post on page 687(i posted to help everyone). Work way back to find the beginning sry im not doing that bull for everyone LOL. Ummm
    But im one of the few guys to pass the stairs first time and had one of the best times at CPAT training at the rock first day out(best time of my day). 7:31. Take it for what it is...Dont forget im 5'7" 145 (usually one of the smallest guys if not the smallest)

Forum Member

When I did the CPAT last year, all I did was run, stair master, pull-ups, and minimal weight training. I worked on my endurance. My CPAT time was 8 min., and I am also smal in height and weight. Endurance is key, the PT, evolutions, and FST causes guys to get winded very easily. Guys and girls, work on endurance stuff that's gonna allow you to get through PT or FST, and still have energy to get through the evolutions the academy has planned for the day.
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Sounds good! Thanks for the info. This this lower your heart rate btw? Im thinking now I should actually implement this into my stairmaster workouts as well, instead of maintaining a Level 6 speed on the stairmaster for 100 flights, I should increase the intensity for a few min, then lower it, and repeat. Do you think thats a good idea? Its kind of like tricking my heart into thinking the intensity will remain low whn i lower the intensity, but by raising it again, it never gets too comfortable and my HR is never constant.
    In my experience and knowing a guy on here who passed first time it's not about doing 100 flights of Stairs that passes you on the first try, it's the running. My boy I met at the medical on here runs everyday. I'm not positive but I don't think he even trained for stairs. He doesn't posts much but he runs like 7 days a week and is really lean and is sub 9min for the 1.5mile. Don't stress it though if you're doing that many flights it's honestly as simple as looking at a calendar and picking a day to come back and walk for 8min. Don't let that hr stuff stress you out

Forum Member

Gianni, every couple of weeks I try to replicate the medical to see where my heart rate is. I use the polar FT7 HR monitor. I will do 3 minutes at 60 steps/min with no weight and check my HR, get off the stairs and wait exactly 5 minutes like they make you do at the real medical, then jump on with the 50lb vest and go for 8 min (I check my HR at 5:12 just to see where it's at and check my HR at 8 min). So far, I'm passing the medical on my first shot and keeping my HR low on the first 3 min. I only use the weight vest once or twice a week, but I'm on the stairs 5 days a week. Usually just going for ten minutes at a very high pace with no weight. I know that my stairs has helped me lower my HR, but my tough running workouts (also 5 days a week) has helped a lot, too. My PMs are on if anyone wants more details or has questions.
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    In my experience and knowing a guy on here who passed first time it's not about doing 100 flights of Stairs that passes you on the first try, it's the running. My boy I met at the medical on here runs everyday. I'm not positive but I don't think he even trained for stairs. He doesn't posts much but he runs like 7 days a week and is really lean and is sub 9min for the 1.5mile. Don't stress it though if you're doing that many flights it's honestly as simple as looking at a calendar and picking a day to come back and walk for 8min. Don't let that hr stuff stress you out
    Thats interesting. You are 100% rite, its not all about the stairmaster. Maybe I am just a but overwhelmed and over thinking the HR thing. Im just trying to be perpared and Simulate everything as close as possible. I do run a regular basis as well I only geared my question towards the stairs because thats where the HR monitoring is emphasized and utilized in the FDNY hiring process ya know what I mean? I guess I have to look at this in a broader sense. Thanks g

Forum Member

FYI guys/gals, if you are thinking of getting LASIK done, get it done as soon as possible!! I am out for a month now of no training until it heals (Heavy weights, crossfit). It was definitely worth the money!!! Doesn't hurt at all!!!
    Dannypanigale likes this.
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thirdtimesacharm View Post
    FYI guys/gals, if you are thinking of getting LASIK done, get it done as soon as possible!! I am out for a month now of no training until it heals (Heavy weights, crossfit). It was definitely worth the money!!! Doesn't hurt at all!!!
    I thought three or four days of rest and you back to your regular routine...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    I thought three or four days of rest and you back to your regular routine...
    After 3 or 4 days, you are allowed to run again. After 5 days, light weights (i.e. the myerjack workout). HITT isn't for a couple of weeks. Kinda bummed that I have to take a break. But being able to see without contacts or glasses is definitely worth it!

Just a heads up to the guys that are waiting for medicals and CPAT.
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Forum Member

I had it done 2 years ago when I thought you couldn't wear contacts for the eye exam, best thing ever
    thirdtimesacharm likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    I had it done 2 years ago when I thought you couldn't wear contacts for the eye exam, best thing ever
    Same here. No better feeling knowing you dont need glasses or contacts. Its awesome lol

Forum Member

Here is a running template/interval workout some may be interested in.

http://www.specialtactics.com/intervaltraining.pdf

Hill/Stair sprints and shuttle runs are also good training tools.

As for training for the academy/FST/the actual jobs... Weighted carries, sled pushes/pulls and partner carries and bear crawls are great tools... in my opinion... I am simply trying to share info.

I know that actual sleds are expensive... However, I made my own with an old tire, a large eye bolt, a couple of nuts and washers, along with some webbing (or rope)... I put 50lbs inside the tire, but it will fit more, if you have it... You can also have someone sit on the tire, if available... It can be pulled on many surfaces, but asphalt seems to be the hardest (I usually pull it on an AstroTurf surface).

Another tool I was able to procure was an old length of hose, folded into a 'pack' to carry... However, if you have an old duffle bag... one can be made without much cost.... Take two heavy duty garbage bags, place one inside the other... Get some sand and place it inside the bags (50lbs play sand can be bought at Home Depot/Lowes for about $4-$5)... Then tie the top, tape it with duck tape above/below the knot... Place this into the duffle bag and now you have a 'pack' to carry on your shoulder... If you have rope, you can attach it and drag that around... Except on asphalt/concrete.

Also... I typically use these tools alone... Sometimes, if I am lucky, my girlfriend comes along and sits on the tire and allows me to carry her around... But if interested, anyone is welcome to come along and train... minus the carrying around part!
    Last edited by Minerva; 12-17-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Forum Member

Question does the medical form have to be completed before the info session? Or can you bring it the first day of your training that you sign up for?

Forum Member

In regards to LASIK there's two options. There is LASIK and PRK. If you can take off at least a week from work I'd recommend PRK. It is much safer.

LASIK: cut a flap, do laser, lay flap down but flap never actually heals and can be dislodged from impact and such which can cause infection and all kinds of other crap

PRK: much easier and safer procedure for you as well as for the doctor to perform. No flap is cut but the downside is during the first 2-3 days some people have found it painful, I didn't it was just itching annoyance because it's technically a scab healing just like a regular cut but you need a full week before you'll be able to see very well.

Both methods are practiced but PRK has a much longer and safer history. When I choose that my doctor though I was silly but he said he was very glad I did given my line of work and how much easier it would be for him to perform the procedure with a lot less of a risk for messing anything up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    Corrections officers = perps with pistols. Inmates watching the inmates
    LMAO, this is a stereotype I will gladly go along with

Thread Information