Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 665 of 1141 FirstFirst ... 165565615655662663664665666667668675715765 ... LastLast
Results 13,281 to 13,300 of 22814
Like Tree8966Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    If you are injured while training at the academy, you will be seen by a dept. doctor. If you cannot continue, you will be placed on ML and report 5 days a week to a light duty position at Metrotech in Brooklyn. You will probably work Tuesday through Saturday.

there were like 5 or 6 guys there who were in the current academy on medical leave doing light duty work. Seemed pretty obvious they had very little real work for them to do, it was the 5 or 6 of them doing stuff 1, maybe 2 guys could handle on their own (make 25 copies of this, show him how to fill this out, etc.). It seemed mind numbingly boring. If any of you are looking to get away from a desk job (like I am), going back there would be hell. You don't want to see the inside of metro tech until you're back for a yearly medical!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    there were like 5 or 6 guys there who were in the current academy on medical leave doing light duty work. Seemed pretty obvious they had very little real work for them to do, it was the 5 or 6 of them doing stuff 1, maybe 2 guys could handle on their own (make 25 copies of this, show him how to fill this out, etc.). It seemed mind numbingly boring. If any of you are looking to get away from a desk job (like I am), going back there would be hell. You don't want to see the inside of metro tech until you're back for a yearly medical!
    A desk job + daily commute to metrotech just made me gag
    HopefulFF likes this.

Forum Member

There were more than 5 or 6 guys. There were at least 10 on the second floor and about 10 or so on the 6th floor. It is an embarrassment. If you can't handle make pretend world at the rock you sure as hell won't be able to deal with the real **** that goes on.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

There is certainly the possibility of getting a serious injury that requires medical leave, but from what I've heard, and what I saw in my class most of the *******s that went out medical were doing so for incredibly silly reasons. Everyone gets overuse injuries and strains, just gotta manage them and work through it.

The gossip I've heard is that there is a PH on medical leave who says he realizes he can't do it, it's not for him, etc., however the Vulcans are strong arming him into sticking around and coaching him on how to game the system.
    FDsouthbxNY and vekdoggs75 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nev7248 View Post
    There were more than 5 or 6 guys. There were at least 10 on the second floor and about 10 or so on the 6th floor. It is an embarrassment. If you can't handle make pretend world at the rock you sure as hell won't be able to deal with the real **** that goes on.
    I hope they were crutching around or wheeling themselves around in chairs?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I hope they were crutching around or wheeling themselves around in chairs?
    NOPE, they looked PERFECTLY fine to me! No limping, no braces, no crutches, no cast, etc. That's not to say they weren't really injured though...
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    NOPE, they looked PERFECTLY fine to me! No limping, no braces, no crutches, no cast, etc. That's not to say they weren't really injured though...
    I get that the academy can be dangerous and injuries can happen but this makes me sick. If you are capable of walking around you should be able to fight through the pain. I've had stingers during football that felt like a hot iron on your neck and made it incapable of turning your head 1 degree left or right, sprained ankles, broken fingers, toes, nose, and ribs I've played and practiced through in rugby, and watched some tough *&^%$#$'s play entire seasons with blown shoulders, elbows, and knees. I'm sure there's one or two legitimate injuries out of the bunch but it sounds like most of these guys are out of shape *&^%$##$ who are incapable of toughing it out.

Sorry for getting riled up here but this is over 50 &^%$#$&^ drops in less than 3 weeks with more to come I'm sure. That's potentially HUNDREDS of list numbers put on the back burner while these clowns embarrass themselves. Again, I'm sure there are REAL injuries out there too and I actually feel bad for those guys but there's no way all these are even close to legit. These guys aren't doing 5 rounds in the octagon every morning.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Am at metrotech now and I must say to you guys coming to do your medicals is to come here looking a bit more professional when coming here! It is a professional place and these guys (Lt's and captains) want more heart from you guys! Do not come here with t-shirts with torn arms and business company logo's on them! We don't care how big ur arms are or how good you look! Keep it on a serious level and wear proper attire! It looks good for you when you take it serious !

vekdoggs75 and FuDsNmYc like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2024 View Post
    Wait, what? PHs taking advantage of the system at the behest of the Vulcans?!?! Impossible! That could NEVER happen! You are all a bunch of racists for suggesting that someone who couldn't pass the test in the first place would dare malinger! For SHAME!!!

Seriously, though, the Rock is rough on your body. It's going to hurt, plain and simple, whether you're in shape or not. It's not the PT that kills you; it's dragging a 2 1/2 through a commercial building while you crack your knees and elbows against all the junk they put in there to hold you up or going up 6 stories on an aerial ladder with your mask, tools and saw on your back that hurts. And they do it because that's what happens at jobs. If you're seriously hurt, there's no shame in going to medical. If you're in there because you bruised your shin (which hurts, no doubt), you have to suck it up. Or quit, because that's the kind of thing the job will do to your body after proby school. If you can't gut it out in a controlled environment where you're in no real danger, we don't want you on the firefloor with us. And that goes for OC, PH and EMS.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Being on medical leave during the academy is an embarrassment, avoid it. You'd better have a pretty legit story for being there or it's going to be a difficult time.

Here's the deal:

If you hurt yourself OFF the job you'll be terminated. While you might be able to recycle through the next class, you will not be on the payroll or covered by any benefits. You then have to begin the process again.

If you are injured while training at the academy, you will be seen by a dept. doctor. If you cannot continue, you will be placed on ML and report 5 days a week to a light duty position at Metrotech in Brooklyn. You will probably work Tuesday through Saturday.

Bottom line is this: do not get hurt. Don't complain when you have a little ache. MAN UP! If youre hurt, youre hurt.....BUT, If you have to go to the hospital from proby school, they better have to carry you there.

The number of probys on medical leave is astounding right now. The talk in the field is how embarrassing it is. It has never been higher than it is right now, so take this as the exception and not the rule.
    What about if you get hurt off the job after you graduate the academy? just wondering cuz a couple people I work with went out on medical leave for an off the job ailment, and im pretty sure they were still getting paid, but when they came back they were placed on chronic status.

And yes corrections, I've scene about 4 officers from a previous academy who were placed on modified duty, where instead of working in a jail, they were placed to work at the academy.. This ****ed me off at the time because they looked perfectly fine to me and I thought why can't they work at the jail.. Then 2 of them quit, and from what I heard they were angry that the department was keeping them at the academy on medical leave and wouldn't allow them to work at the jail (no OT opportunities, crappy pay at the academy on modified duty)

Anyway, people need to man up, and people need to follow directions.. in the corrections academy, there were plenty of people that didn't follow directions, and then got injured because of it on a drill.. and the academy obviously gave people a lot of bumps and bruises but you gotta just get through it..

In my opinion, there is NO excuse for failing an academy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Wait, what? PHs taking advantage of the system at the behest of the Vulcans?!?! Impossible! That could NEVER happen! You are all a bunch of racists for suggesting that someone who couldn't pass the test in the first place would dare malinger! For SHAME!!!

Seriously, though, the Rock is rough on your body. It's going to hurt, plain and simple, whether you're in shape or not. It's not the PT that kills you; it's dragging a 2 1/2 through a commercial building while you crack your knees and elbows against all the junk they put in there to hold you up or going up 6 stories on an aerial ladder with your mask, tools and saw on your back that hurts. And they do it because that's what happens at jobs. If you're seriously hurt, there's no shame in going to medical. If you're in there because you bruised your shin (which hurts, no doubt), you have to suck it up. Or quit, because that's the kind of thing the job will do to your body after proby school. If you can't gut it out in a controlled environment where you're in no real danger, we don't want you on the firefloor with us. And that goes for OC, PH and EMS.
    PH's suck, and I can't wait til someone sues the city because 1 of these crappy PH's does a horrible job responding to an emergency situation.

its just the nature of how things go.. black people don't generally apply for fire fighter jobs.. and white people don't generally apply for corrections job.. hence corrections mostly black, fdny mostly white.

How about the courts? When I went to take the courts test, every1 there was white.. so when the report comes out that that department is predominantly white, are we going to claim that was racist too?

A lot of people who go out on medical leave are just being p*ssies. They get a mild injury that doesn't really prevent them from doing there job, and they want to get paid to be home. I don't know about these people, but I'd get tired of being home 7 days a week doing nothing.

Forum Member

Have there really been 50 drops so far? That seems too unbelievable to believe.

Forum Member

Assuming the "50" number is legit... All of these 50 guys can recycle into a future class? How does this even work?!?! I'm processing for a few other agencies, and this is by far the most corrupt/political. I understand going to the academy and leaving because you realize you couldn't handle it, but that these guys can go back to a future class is such BS. They are wasting not only spots for this class, but for a future class.

Anyways, what kind of training regimine's are you guys on? I've been running 3-4x a week along with doing the hybrid p90X/insanity workout.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    It was at 47 a week ago. Jukez might have the most recent number.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    down at metro tech they were telling us the # was 47, that was last week so it probably is up to 50, lol. I find it really hard to believe that many would quit that soon myself, but it's coming from the most reliable source we'll prob get outside of an official announcement. A few of them out right quit but most of the people were going to recycle in to the next class.

Forum Member

down at metro tech they were telling us the # was 47, that was last week so it probably is up to 50, lol. I find it really hard to believe that many would quit that soon myself, but it's coming from the most reliable source we'll prob get outside of an official announcement. A few of them out right quit but most of the people were going to recycle in to the next class.
    Maybe it's just me but I find it hard to believe that most of these guys are going to recycle. Besides quitting for injuries and family issues, for some one to quit this early on must mean that the job just is not for them. Correct me if im wrong but all these guys can't be failing that badly already after two weeks so why else quit? Maybe there's something I'm not thinking of but I just can't think of other reason, besides the job not being for them, for all these guys to quit this early on.

Forum Member

This has been and continuing to be a very, very, very sad joke. I would pay to see the breakdown of the people who quit or decided to go out on med leave.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

When I was down there, there was one guy walking around with a walking boot. They said he had a stress fracture after returning to the July class from an injury sustained on January. Another guy mentioned someone smashing their hand doing a breach. These are things that can be controlled. I'm not saying these guys are scamming the system; those are pretty legit injuries. Those other guys walking around MetroTech, well, that's pretty shameful.

Forum Member

If the number is coming from the gentleman I think, I am inclined not to trust it. At my medical in June, we received a bunch of information, too and most of it turned out to be pretty inaccurate.

However, in the case that the number is that high, it's looking like others will continue to be pushed back and back and then back some more, being that a lot of these drops can probably return in January.

I can't fathom it. It's just unreal. I'm sure there are real injuries. I'm sure it's not easy. But, anything worth doing isn't easy...

Forum Member

Also, if anyone is interested, look up the book 'A season on the Mat' by Nolan Zavoral or do a little research on Dan Gable. You'll find some good insights on what it means to work hard and have some toughness.
    test2000 likes this.

Thread Information