Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 668 of 1207 FirstFirst ... 1685686186586656666676686696706716787187681168 ... LastLast
Results 13,341 to 13,360 of 24131
Like Tree9400Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Might have to go the Jason Alexander route. Costanza's got a full mane these days.
    Correction. I WAS bald!
    Bellestoria likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Might have to go the Jason Alexander route. Costanza's got a full mane these days.
    I had to look that up. Crazy. He looks 10 years younger than he did in 1990.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Do they take personal checks?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by apples&oranges View Post
    Do they take personal checks?
    Yes they do

Forum Member

Quick question for Saturday's Psych: suit and tie or business casual?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    My understanding of that situation is that he immediately claimed RO and took the necessary steps with EEO. So now the DIs can't bust his balls about it. I understand not wanting to compromise religious beliefs, but I can't help but be disappointed that this dude won't compromise a bit and make the same sacrifice the rest of us made when in the academy. Makes me wonder if he's going to show up to his house with a list of things he can't eat and days of the week he can't work due to RO.
    This the kind of attitude that will hurt this job. Unit cohesion is paramount and there is no room for special treatment. You don't like it? Find another job, one that doesn't work 24/7. I'm Catholic, but I've spent many a Christmas morning and Easter Sunday working at the firehouse. Follow whatever faith you want, hell, roll out a prayer mat and pray to East every day at sunrise, but when a run comes in, do your job. I don't know any Christians who've refused to work Christmas, I don't know any Jews who've refused to work on the sabbath, I don't know any Chinese members who've asked for Chinese New Year off.....ect....ect. There is no room for individualism on a team sport.

Get. With. The. Program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Quick question for Saturday's Psych: suit and tie or business casual?
    Collared shirt and slacks should suffice, but no one will ever fault you for being over dressed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    This the kind of attitude that will hurt this job. Unit cohesion is paramount and there is no room for special treatment. You don't like it? Find another job, one that doesn't work 24/7. I'm Catholic, but I've spent many a Christmas morning and Easter Sunday working at the firehouse. Follow whatever faith you want, hell, roll out a prayer mat and pray to East every day at sunrise, but when a run comes in, do your job. I don't know any Christians who've refused to work Christmas, I don't know any Jews who've refused to work on the sabbath, I don't know any Chinese members who've asked for Chinese New Year off.....ect....ect. There is no room for individualism on a team sport.

Get. With. The. Program.
    I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here but how does the firehouse respond to vegetarians (I eat fish too)? I know its a tricky situation because meals are important and I don't want it to seem like I'm not trying to be a part of it. I want to know how to handle it correctly if/when the time comes.

I'm talking long term here....If I have to eat some ribs to fit in for a while I'll do what I have to do.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Get. With. The. Program.
    100% agree, just stating what I'd heard of in regards to that individual.

Forum Member

stairmaster got me along with everyone else there today except 1 person. I should pass it on monday with a little more sleep...someone probably said this but the big African American guy who works there says January class can reach up to list #1200 if I understood him correctly.
    vekdoggs75, River6019 and NycQ83 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    stairmaster got me along with everyone else there today except 1 person. I should pass it on monday with a little more sleep...someone probably said this but the big African American guy who works there says January class can reach up to list #1200 if I understood him correctly.
    Hopefully even a little past 1200 haha.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Double post.
    List # 12XX

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    I don't want to get too far ahead of myself here but how does the firehouse respond to vegetarians (I eat fish too)? I know its a tricky situation because meals are important and I don't want it to seem like I'm not trying to be a part of it. I want to know how to handle it correctly if/when the time comes.

I'm talking long term here....If I have to eat some ribs to fit in for a while I'll do what I have to do.
    As long as youre still in the kitchen helping, and arent a gigantic pain in the *ss or weird about it, its a non issue.
    ffbam24 and KingHenrik like this.

Forum Member

Just go with the flow man. No worries if you're a vegetarian, do your thing, but don't complain, ect. Help with the meal, pay for the meal and just pass on the parts you don't eat. If anyone asks, just say you're a vegetarian. You won't take anymore than a little good natured ribbing. Plenty of guys I work with are veg. or vegan or whatever, but it's no big deal. It's only a big deal when guys make waves and expect everyone else to change for them.

This is the common theme across the board, just like I was saying before about religious needs. We're a big family and everyone has needs and desires. We want to accomodate each other all we can. Come on the job, be a busy, ears open and mouth shut proby and things will be smooth. If you're willing to work with everyone, everyone will work with you. Maybe a devout Jew wants to be home multiple nights for Passover, so we work it out. Perhaps he works Good Friday for one guy and Christmas for another and those guys make sure he's able to observe his needs while they get accommodation for theirs. As long as your first objective leaves "self" at the door and pushes to be a team player, things will run smoothly.

Don't demand accommodation and your attitude will command it.

Forum Member

Just go with the flow man. No worries if you're a vegetarian, do your thing, but don't complain, ect. Help with the meal, pay for the meal and just pass on the parts you don't eat. If anyone asks, just say you're a vegetarian. You won't take anymore than a little good natured ribbing. Plenty of guys I work with are veg. or vegan or whatever, but it's no big deal. It's only a big deal when guys make waves and expect everyone else to change for them.

This is the common theme across the board, just like I was saying before about religious needs. We're a big family and everyone has needs and desires. We want to accomodate each other all we can. Come on the job, be a busy, ears open and mouth shut proby and things will be smooth. If you're willing to work with everyone, everyone will work with you. Maybe a devout Jew wants to be home multiple nights for Passover, so we work it out. Perhaps he works Good Friday for one guy and Christmas for another and those guys make sure he's able to observe his needs while they get accommodation for theirs. As long as your first objective leaves "self" at the door and pushes to be a team player, things will run smoothly.

Don't demand accommodation and your attitude will command it.
    ffbam24 and KingHenrik like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Hopefully even a little past 1200 haha.
    I find it hard to believe they reach that high, but I certainly do love hearing this type of rumor.

Forum Member

Thanks for the response guys you just took a weight off my mind. I'll clean dishes with a toothbrush if I have to, I am the furthest thing from stuck-up and demanding so I'm happy that with the right attitude I won't be singled out for something like diet choice.
    Score: 99
    List #: 4XXX

Forum Member

Well if they're speculating the list could reach 1200 for January, that means the next round of packets would have to go past 1100, right ?
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Well if they're speculating the list could reach 1200 for January, that means the next round of packets would have to go past 1100, right ?
    I like your thinking!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    The big BLACK guy's name is John. (Seriously, its offensive to me that we would be labeled that term especially considering that 5 or 6 generations of my family were nowhere near Africa so how does that make me "African-American". And why would Africans be just generalized as the continent they're from; wouldn't we want to be prideful of our country or nation of origin like Ghana or Sudan? Either way, ignore my rant. The point is its okay to say black, you're not a racist. (I hope.)) He was really cool and did say that during his little speech at the end of our medical. I really hope to meet him again. Hopefully not for medical leave.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Thread Information