Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 1018 FirstFirst ... 17576465666768697077117167567 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 20356
Like Tree7732Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #1321
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    this is insane....over a decade ago, Obama taught a law class where he came up with a fictitious city that had a "race problem" in their fire dept. His solution was a dumbed down test, and a lottery there after....sound familiar?


    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...ama-con-law-II
    Does anyone know how dcas would conduct their tiebreakers? Like I know it's the ss#'s but does anyone the exact sequence?
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 03-16-2012 at 09:41 PM.


  2. #1322
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I took the test today.
    The situation was a lot more civil and orderly than the 6019 test.
    For me the 6019 test was a huge mob of people slowly filing in a high school to use ancient scan trons.
    The 2000 test had barely any line and was just a few dozen people at a time.
    I was seated promptly at a semi private cubicle area and used a computer and a booklet which you can write notes on with a provided pencil.

    Th best tip I can give is this:
    You can bring your cell phone, media player or any electronic device because they provide a large zip lock bag which you put everything inside of.
    You place the large zip lock bag under your desk for the duration of the test.

    Regarding the test itself, the admission form said we are not allowed to talk about it, also you agree a second time to not discuss anything on it.

    Here is some advice about the job from a friend who is in the FDNY (warning paraphrasing and this is meant to discourage you if you are on the fence):

    This job is extremely dangerous and it has to be taken seriously. I don't suggest you go through with it unless you plan on putting your life in danger for your co-workers and strangers on a daily basis.
    The pay looks good but you can die very easily and very quickly and no amount of benefits can fix death as of yet.

    Have you been in a life or death situation or witnessed one up close and in person? How did you handle it? Should people look to you when their family is burning alive or trapped under a rolled over SUV? If you are the type of person who cannot stay focused and keep your cool while seeing people die or being severely hurt on a regular basis then this is not the job you are looking for.

    Basically what he meant was to be honest with yourself and everyone around you. It is OK if you are not the type of guy or girl who can see and smell humans missing limbs and being burnt alive. It's not a game and there are tons of other city jobs that have great benefits if that is mainly what you are looking for.

    Sure you might get a badass story about saving 2 baby's and their attractive mother. But more than likely it will be you getting 3rd degree burns dragging some homeless guy out of a blazing abandoned building because he passed out while lighting his crack pipe.

    If I make it on the FDNY I want to be surrounded by people who are truly motivated to be a firefighter and not by any humps praying to get injured just enough to get 3/4ths.

    Good luck and make sure this is what you really want to do.

  3. #1323
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    Just curious why everyone keeps thinking calculators are allowed when the NOE and Admission Notice clearly states,

    "Calculators and electronic devices with alphabetic keyboard or with word processing or data recording abilities such as planners, organizers, etc. are not permitted."
    Read that again.

  4. #1324
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    785

    Default

    To me it reads "calculators......and ......electronic devices with alphabetic keyboards..."


    C'mon now fellas. Why the hell would they allow calculators?

  5. #1325
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    Read that again.
    Not trying to be rude or a dick but it says no calculators, in clear writing. Just don't see what the confusion has been. Just like in grade school no means no.

  6. #1326
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    To me, it reads that those devices with data entry are not allowed. I took a civil service exam last summer that was math-based and simple calculators were allowed. The NOE for that exam read the same way.

    Recommendation until a credible source says otherwise: Buy a cheap calculator. Ask the proctor if you can use it. If not, throw it away.

  7. #1327
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    To me, it reads that those devices with data entry are not allowed. I took a civil service exam last summer that was math-based and simple calculators were allowed. The NOE for that exam read the same way.

    Recommendation until a credible source says otherwise: Buy a cheap calculator. Ask the proctor if you can use it. If not, throw it away.

    I think DCAS is a reliable source. It says no calculators.

  8. #1328
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    You'll figure it out

  9. #1329
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Currently IL
    Posts
    298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post
    You'll figure it out

    I guess we all will find out soon enough, tomorrow for me.

    Best of luck to everyone.

  10. #1330
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    278

    Default

    And to you!

    For the guys that took it today, how do you feel?

  11. #1331
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zachryw2001 View Post
    I think DCAS is a reliable source. It says no calculators.

    I am almost positive we can't use calculators. I'm sure PSI runs a tighter ship than the city did for 6019, so if you bring one I would expect it to be taken away immediately.

  12. #1332
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    267

    Default

    Or, you can just know how to do long division. This is elementary stuff.

  13. #1333
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Another reading comp Q on the city's hand out....

    p.61 Q 8, the city has D as the answer. Since the question reads "which medicine should NOT be taken by people who consume more than three alcoholic drinks a day without consulting a doctor?"

    Shouldn't the answer be C. Both medicines, D. Neither medicines makes the statement a double negative.

    Am I reading this wrong? It seems like the Q was worded very awkwardly.

  14. #1334
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Wow. Just finished, that was intense!

  15. #1335
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    [QUOTE=enwhycee1;1322309]Wow. Just finished, that was intense![/

    Did it pick your brain a little?

  16. #1336
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Happy st.patricks day to all my fellow irish friends cheers.

  17. #1337
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rtech5 View Post

    Here is some advice about the job from a friend who is in the FDNY (warning paraphrasing and this is meant to discourage you if you are on the fence):

    This job is extremely dangerous and it has to be taken seriously. I don't suggest you go through with it unless you plan on putting your life in danger for your co-workers and strangers on a daily basis.
    The pay looks good but you can die very easily and very quickly and no amount of benefits can fix death as of yet.

    Have you been in a life or death situation or witnessed one up close and in person? How did you handle it? Should people look to you when their family is burning alive or trapped under a rolled over SUV? If you are the type of person who cannot stay focused and keep your cool while seeing people die or being severely hurt on a regular basis then this is not the job you are looking for.

    Basically what he meant was to be honest with yourself and everyone around you. It is OK if you are not the type of guy or girl who can see and smell humans missing limbs and being burnt alive. It's not a game and there are tons of other city jobs that have great benefits if that is mainly what you are looking for.

    Sure you might get a badass story about saving 2 baby's and their attractive mother. But more than likely it will be you getting 3rd degree burns dragging some homeless guy out of a blazing abandoned building because he passed out while lighting his crack pipe.

    If I make it on the FDNY I want to be surrounded by people who are truly motivated to be a firefighter and not by any humps praying to get injured just enough to get 3/4ths.

    Good luck and make sure this is what you really want to do.
    You just summed up the FDNY of the 1970s. haha Those things CAN happen but usually don't. I work in a large city myself in another urban fire department and like most large cities, it's not the same as it used to be. You don't go to fire that often. You may go a full year without seeing anything, even in NYC, depending on the company you're assigned to. You should definitely be willing to give your life but I just want to clear things up that things are different.

  18. #1338
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pipeman1822 View Post
    You just summed up the FDNY of the 1970s. haha Those things CAN happen but usually don't. I work in a large city myself in another urban fire department and like most large cities, it's not the same as it used to be. You don't go to fire that often. You may go a full year without seeing anything, even in NYC, depending on the company you're assigned to. You should definitely be willing to give your life but I just want to clear things up that things are different.
    Man, im not on the job...but that does not sound like par for new york city's course. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression...

  19. #1339
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MerritMatters View Post
    Man, im not on the job...but that does not sound like par for new york city's course. Maybe I'm under the wrong impression...
    I think what rtech5's friend said is nothing that should come as a surpise to anyone. Firefighting is dangerous. It's dangerous in NYC, in Houston, in LA, and in the boonies. You are risking your life at fires or other serious emergencies. It will be chaotic or intense and you need to stay on the ball. With that comes the pressure to be squared away, to train, read or drill, and basically know your job because you and your coworkers lives depend on it. Like I said, this is not shocking news. As far as how much fire duty you see, it depends on what company you go to. Even if you go somewhere that has little fire duty, you still need to know your job. Some might say a slower place is more dangerous because your knowledge and skills get rusty. Experience is the best teacher. With that being said, DON'T FOCUS NOW ON WHERE YOU END UP, just getting on the job.

    Most guys on this thread are obviously candidates and are newer than new and it is only natural to have expectations of life in the FDNY. My advice is that you won't know it till you try it, and even then it takes time to really know the job, maybe even a career. I can honestly say that it is an amazing job and I am extremely proud and lucky to be a firefighter in the FDNY. One day you will arrive at the same feeling, but it is your own journey and interpretation.

    From the firefighters stand point, like rtech's friend, we want only the best of the best to get on the job. That's squared away, knowledgable but willing to learn, ready to step up to do the right thing and have a positive attitutude. This is the same type of person the academy will try and mold. On the other hand, the academy will try and discourage the lazy, selfish, unprepared, unmotivated, poor performing candidates.

    I'm trying to give you guys some information without letting all of our laundry hang out to dry. This is still a brotherhood that simply has to be kept sacred, which is why I sometimes get a little frustrated with what kind of things are posted on here. The bottom line is as a candidate or proby you simply need to strive to be THE BEST and as a firefighter we want the best. Expectations are specific to the individual so expect the unexpected. Good luck to all of you.

  20. #1340
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Guys, just to make sure, there's no memory portion in this exam right?
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 39 users browsing this thread. (12 members and 27 guests)

  1. 336Brooklyn,
  2. antmdog,
  3. bk60191983,
  4. fftank21,
  5. FFwnt2b,
  6. grok350,
  7. Jky9xx,
  8. Matador611,
  9. MidazoWHAM!,
  10. Mo2012,
  11. MuscleHamster,
  12. xDiegox

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts