Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 675 of 1142 FirstFirst ... 175575625665672673674675676677678685725775 ... LastLast
Results 13,481 to 13,500 of 22839
Like Tree8974Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #13481
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    After taxes


  2. #13482
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Why are the PH getting paid more money?

  3. #13483
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    If you're not already upset about PHs here's something that'll do it.

    Regular guys are taking home about $1100 every 2 weeks whereas they are taking home $2500.

    Gotta love it.
    Yeah, I don't know about that. I'm at top pay and even with all the night differential and fringe pay that you don't get at the rock, I don't take home that much after taxes.

  4. #13484
    Forum Member Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Why are the PH getting paid more money?
    I think they actually start with top scale if i'm not mistaken; and they get back pay. Thats because someone thought that "They should've been hired years ago". As to WHY they should've been hired years ago, who the hell knows.
    FDsouthbxNY and River6019 like this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  5. #13485
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    827

    Default

    $1100 every two weeks while in the academy or once where in a house ? $1100 every two weeks in the academy sounds like more than what I was expecting.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

  6. #13486
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
    What list number are u close to?
    Under 70, my investigator forgot to schedule my psych test so i got passed up on the academy for july...

  7. #13487
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Past employment verification never looks for anything more than "Did they actually work there from month/date to month/date?"
    really hope you are right....this may be the only thing that stops me from getting the job. I would think they would give the option to the job to say you were fired though : /

  8. #13488
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Just wondering, because I can't recall from 5 years ago. When they send letters out to employers during the background investigation, do they send them to your current employer? Or just previous employers? I kind of don't want my current employer to know that I may be leaving in the near future if all goes well. I mean if that's the case, then whatever...can't worry about that too much I guess.
    Last edited by MESAman; 08-25-2013 at 06:33 PM.

  9. #13489
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    $1100 every two weeks while in the academy or once where in a house ? $1100 every two weeks in the academy sounds like more than what I was expecting.
    Well, at my last job my gross annual was 44K and change, which amounted to around 1100 net pay every two weeks...so that sounds about right considering the starting pay for a fireman is about 44 or so the last time I checked.

  10. #13490
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    36

    Default

    What I do not understand is what if you told FDNY that you have never worked?

    What I am saying is FDNY can not tell you that because you have no prior job we will not hire you.

    I personally worked very little and will have huge employment holes in my employment background. How can FDNY hold this against me? It is a city job and I can not see them discriminating against you based on your prior work experience.

  11. #13491
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Just wondering, because I can't recall from 5 years ago. When they send letters out to employers during the background investigation, do they send them to your current employer? Or just previous employers? I kind of don't want my current employer to know that I may be leaving in the near future if all goes well. I mean if that's the case, then whatever...can't worry about that too much I guess.
    They DO send a letter to your current employer. My buddies job got one and he's still there.

  12. #13492
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Yeah, I don't know about that. I'm at top pay and even with all the night differential and fringe pay that you don't get at the rock, I don't take home that much after taxes.

    agreed but i guess they including the retro or what not in their checks.

  13. #13493
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    They DO send a letter to your current employer. My buddies job got one and he's still there.
    Any chance you can find out what they ask about in that letter?

  14. #13494
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    Also, the stepping with the boots and bunker pants isn't the easiest thing to do. Can't really bend your knees as if you were wearing shorts or regular pants.
    That's because you are wearing the rubber boots. It gets a lot better after week 18.

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    If you're not already upset about PHs here's something that'll do it.

    Regular guys are taking home about $1100 every 2 weeks whereas they are taking home $2500.

    Gotta love it.
    It is a known fact that they would be hired at top pay. Regardless of whether or not this figure is accurate it doesn't matter. This isn't new information it's just stirring the pot.

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    So what are these letters they send out for?
    To verify the work history that you gave them.

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    What I do not understand is what if you told FDNY that you have never worked?

    What I am saying is FDNY can not tell you that because you have no prior job we will not hire you.

    I personally worked very little and will have huge employment holes in my employment background. How can FDNY hold this against me? It is a city job and I can not see them discriminating against you based on your prior work experience.
    Chill out dude. As long as you have the college or work requirements it doesn't matter. They ask for a social security earnings report because that shows every job you've had where you've paid taxes and the period you held that job. If you say "I worked for 1 place for 6 months 4 years ago" and the SS earning report shows that then what is there to talk about?

  15. #13495
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    286

    Default

    My mistake, I thought they only received the top pay after they graduated the academy.

  16. #13496
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FdnyFFHopeful View Post
    My mistake, I thought they only received the top pay after they graduated the academy.
    Yea I was under the same impression.

  17. #13497
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Yeah, I don't know about that. I'm at top pay and even with all the night differential and fringe pay that you don't get at the rock, I don't take home that much after taxes.
    How much are you paying into the pension? For NYDOC im paying 7.6% to NYCERS, and voluntarily am paying 3% to deferred.. My deductions are HUGE.

    I hope that at top pay your really taking home more than $2500 every 2 weeks. In D.O.C at top pay, with alittle OT that's always available, C.O's easily take home $3k.. and I think the PH's are taking 2500 gross pay every 2 weeks before taxes.

  18. #13498
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    How much are you paying into the pension? For NYDOC im paying 7.6% to NYCERS, and voluntarily am paying 3% to deferred.. My deductions are HUGE.

    I hope that at top pay your really taking home more than $2500 every 2 weeks. In D.O.C at top pay, with alittle OT that's always available, C.O's easily take home $3k.. and I think the PH's are taking 2500 gross pay every 2 weeks before taxes.
    Well, all I have for you is disappointment. There's no OT, well, there won't be whenever you get on so forget that. I'm not going to discuss MY particular financials, but if you follow the typical road map I can give you an idea. If you put 10% of your pay into tax differed plans (split between voluntary additional pension contributions and a 457 plan), what you'll take home in the average paycheck ain't gonna break $2,000. A few times a year you'll get Holiday Pay and uniform allowance, but that's it.

    Between taxes, pension costs, union dues and tax differed savings we net about 50% of our gross paycheck.

    This job pays s.h.i.t., but we love it anyway and that's the most important part........I just wish that dedication was currency for mortgage payments.....
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; 08-25-2013 at 11:07 PM.
    ffbam24, My1Goal and Dannypanigale like this.

  19. #13499
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Well, all I have for you is disappointment. There's no OT, well, there won't be whenever you get on so forget that. I'm not going to discuss MY particular financials, but if you follow the typical road map I can give you an idea. If you put 10% of your pay into tax differed plans (split between voluntary additional pension contributions and a 457 plan), what you'll take home in the average paycheck ain't gonna break $2,000. A few times a year you'll get Holiday Pay and uniform allowance, but that's it.

    Between taxes, pension costs, union dues and tax differed savings we net about 50% of our gross paycheck.

    This job pays s.h.i.t., but we love it anyway and that's the most important part........I just wish that dedication was currency for mortgage payments.....
    even without contributing to 457, still dont make it close to $2000, dont believe the hype about top pay. well at least for the regular firemen.
    i guess if the ph hires are getting $2500 per pay check then they are living the dream, sort of speak

  20. #13500
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Chill out dude. As long as you have the college or work requirements it doesn't matter. They ask for a social security earnings report because that shows every job you've had where you've paid taxes and the period you held that job. If you say "I worked for 1 place for 6 months 4 years ago" and the SS earning report shows that then what is there to talk about?

    Just to refresh my memory, they ask for a 5 year SS earnings report, correct?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 50 users browsing this thread. (16 members and 34 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. 7andchange,
  3. BrooklynBorn,
  4. DannyD0pe,
  5. dkjets75,
  6. fdnybk,
  7. FFwnt2b,
  8. JAS1205,
  9. JDNY13,
  10. john_casey,
  11. MikeLarryM35,
  12. MuscleHamster,
  13. Smoove,
  14. Spiderneck30,
  15. test2000

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts