Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 676 of 1142 FirstFirst ... 176576626666673674675676677678679686726776 ... LastLast
Results 13,501 to 13,520 of 22821
Like Tree8970Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    How much are you paying into the pension? For NYDOC im paying 7.6% to NYCERS, and voluntarily am paying 3% to deferred.. My deductions are HUGE.

I hope that at top pay your really taking home more than $2500 every 2 weeks. In D.O.C at top pay, with alittle OT that's always available, C.O's easily take home $3k.. and I think the PH's are taking 2500 gross pay every 2 weeks before taxes.
    Stop constantly bringing up DOC.

Finances: ~1100 take home in the academy was fairly accurate, because you get 9-10 hours of OT every check (standard training days earn you 1 hour of OT per day). Out of the academy a few different differentials kick in, but your take home will actually probably go down at first because you'll stop getting 9-10 hours OT every check. Your battalion may not want to use you for OT right away, and there may not be much going around anyways. On the flip side I had 48 hours of OT in my last check... and didn't break 1700.

The money gets better in the long run, but it sucks to start with and will never be great considering the cost of living here.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Well, all I have for you is disappointment. There's no OT, well, there won't be whenever you get on so forget that. I'm not going to discuss MY particular financials, but if you follow the typical road map I can give you an idea. If you put 10% of your pay into tax differed plans (split between voluntary additional pension contributions and a 457 plan), what you'll take home in the average paycheck ain't gonna break $2,000. A few times a year you'll get Holiday Pay and uniform allowance, but that's it.

Between taxes, pension costs, union dues and tax differed savings we net about 50% of our gross paycheck.

This job pays s.h.i.t., but we love it anyway and that's the most important part........I just wish that dedication was currency for mortgage payments.....
    YOU HEARD GUYS !!!! {[( for those that want to become firemen because or care more for pay, pension, driving the red truck, and many other silly reasons )]} this job pays S.H.I.T ... Forget being a FF go to pd doc (no offense John) and let this list speed up. Thanks
    Last edited by Dannypanigale; 08-25-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (32) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (33) 3-1600m(1mile) 6:40min w/ 3:30 rest
    (34) Played soccer the night before so didn't run in the morning
    (35) 1200m warm-up
    (REPEAT 6 TIMES) no clock; spirit 200m, walk 100m, spirit 100m, walk 100m
    1200m cool down
    (36) No run warm up. Feel free to run a warm up
    (37) 3 miles in 20:48(6:56mile pace) I did it a lil faster today 20:41
    (38) 2 miles at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (39) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:25 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (40) 800m warm up
    8-400m at 1:30 with 2min rest
    800m cool down
    (41) 6 miles of biking
    1 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (42) 8 miles of hard biking - no run
    (43) 6 miles of biking
    1 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (44) 800m warm up
    3-1600m 7min w/ 3:30 rest
    800m cool down
    (45) 6 miles of biking
    1.5 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (46) 1600m warm up
    12-200m in 40sec with 1:30 rest
    1600m cool down

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    (45) 6 miles of biking
    1.5 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout
    (46) 1600m warm up
    12-200m in 40sec with 1:30 rest
    1600m cool down

30 mins- 5' incline treadmill @ 4 speed
    Bench Press 225x12
    Deadlift 225 x 14
    Squats 225 x 15
    List 20##
    Score 101

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    What I do not understand is what if you told FDNY that you have never worked?

What I am saying is FDNY can not tell you that because you have no prior job we will not hire you.

I personally worked very little and will have huge employment holes in my employment background. How can FDNY hold this against me? It is a city job and I can not see them discriminating against you based on your prior work experience.
    OK, we'll go slow. On the Notice of Examination, you will find certain education/work requirements that you must meet to be hired. You must have either met the the education requirement, worked for a certain amount of time or served in the military for a certain period of time. The FDNY will not hire you unless you have met those requirements. So, yes, the FDNY can tell you that they won't hire you without prior work experience unless you meet the education requirement or served in the military.

And it's not "discrimination" when someone doesn't give you something you want when you don't meet the requirements; it's called the real world. How about getting a job and hanging onto it? Then, since it's an absurdly short period of time that you have to have the job to meet the work requirement, you won't have to worry about it at all.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by general_cornwalis View Post
    30 mins- 5' incline treadmill @ 4 speed
    Bench Press 225x12
    Deadlift 225 x 14
    Squats 225 x 15
    haha...nice...I only lift myself...I did my first 3 muscle ups ever yesterday

So my max looks more like...
    16 pull ups
    75 push up
    1 muscle up
    7 rows in tuck position(feet off the ground)
    4 front levers with perfect form
    0 pistol squats (can only do assisted ones)

and im pretty sure jukez crushes this
    jukez post ur maxes ...get me fired up to get to ur level
    Last edited by coldblood92; 08-26-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Forum Member

I need to add one more fact about pay; All new city hires (the ones who got here on their own merit) are being hired under Tier 6 and this includes those who were hired by EMS after Tier 6 was adopted. You are all taking home more money than prior city hires do. You're not making more, you're simply taking home more and the reason for this is your inability to add additional pre and post-tax funds. In other words, you are not able to invest voluntarily in the pension system, you only contribute what is contractually agreed upon.

This means there will be significantly less money for you in retirement and you need to plan for that now. While everyone wants more cash in their pocket now, no one wants to eat cat food when they retire. Your solution is to place more money in either a tax deffered 457 account (similar to a 401k) or a Roth IRA, ect.

I'm not sure how much guidance probies will get on this matter, but you should be getting more than you probably will. With some luck a good senior man or union delegate in your firehouse will be able to steer you well, but keep in mind that you MUST plan for retirement. Take less home now....you'll be happy you did.

Forum Member

Someone from the pension unit came at the beginning and end of my academy to explain things, though I think that was in large part because everyone in the room was EMS and thus there were lots and lots of questions about transferring our time over and what tiers we'd be in, blah blah blah. I'm willing to bet he will be showing up to future academies anyways to explain the specifics of the pension plan. The guy was good, but it was of course only 1 day and a lot of information all at once.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Chill out dude. As long as you have the college or work requirements it doesn't matter. They ask for a social security earnings report because that shows every job you've had where you've paid taxes and the period you held that job. If you say "I worked for 1 place for 6 months 4 years ago" and the SS earning report shows that then what is there to talk about?
    Quote Originally Posted by getting ready View Post
    Just to refresh my memory, they ask for a 5 year SS earnings report, correct?

Sorry MM, wasn't sure if you saw this or not. Do you recall?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    4 years would be 2017... They initially anticipate scores of 97 being reached.. I'm sure you'll be called. 600 per year and a ratio of 1:4 for 4 years... You could probably be called in the next year or two... All a guessing game at this point though.

I'm in the same boat at 46xx...I beat myself up everyday for not scoring higher...even an extra point would have shot me up halfway through the list...no matter..can't dwell on something i have no control over anymore...hopefully the city does follow through with 600 per year..would help a great deal lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by getting ready View Post
    Sorry MM, wasn't sure if you saw this or not. Do you recall?
    I don't. I did it when I got on EMS so it's been quite a while since then. Someone going through the process now should know.

Forum Member

Eyes glued to the thread to see when the next round of packets go out. Was last word still late September?
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Eyes glued to the thread to see when the next round of packets go out. Was last word still late September?
    Last I read was on here a few weeks ago and it was late September. Would be nice if someone said the next round are being mailed out today.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo_D View Post
    I'm in the same boat at 46xx...I beat myself up everyday for not scoring higher...even an extra point would have shot me up halfway through the list...no matter..can't dwell on something i have no control over anymore...hopefully the city does follow through with 600 per year..would help a great deal lol
    Chill bro.. I'm at 43xx.. We got this. You can't judge the numbers from this class or January's class be of the PH, and EMS guys.. Next July will give a much more accurate ratio..I'd say anyone under 7000 is fine.

Waiting an extra year might suck, as long as I get in a class, doesn't matter if its the last class I'm fine. 2-3 years to wait for 25+ years of living the dream? I'll take it.

Forum Member

Off topic, but if one of you guys OTJ wouldn't mind entertaining my question, I'd appreciate it.

Do your scba's have an ebss?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    How much are you paying into the pension? For NYDOC im paying 7.6% to NYCERS, and voluntarily am paying 3% to deferred.. My deductions are HUGE.

I hope that at top pay your really taking home more than $2500 every 2 weeks. In D.O.C at top pay, with alittle OT that's always available, C.O's easily take home $3k.. and I think the PH's are taking 2500 gross pay every 2 weeks before taxes.
    Hold on here. DOCs top pay is the same as ours and so are your benefits, holidays and differentials. With deductions, there's absolutely no way you're taking home 3 grand a check. It's not possible. Are you talking about gross pay?
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Off topic but Matt Harvey needs Tommy John surgery, they better send out those packets soon.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Off topic but Matt Harvey needs Tommy John surgery, they better send out those packets soon.
    Don't fret, its FOOTBALL season now anyway!
    List # 12XX

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Don't fret, its FOOTBALL season now anyway!
    Damn right. If I had to pick a team, it'd be the Mets because the Yankees are a bunch of prissy f****. But I find baseball about as useful as **** on a bull. Watching baseball is like sitting on a cement chair watching paint dry while listening to that stupid "stronger than the storm" song over and over again.

Forum Member

What is the stepmill step rate during the 3 minute warmup to see if u double your resting heartrate?

Thread Information