Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 678 of 1143 FirstFirst ... 178578628668675676677678679680681688728778 ... LastLast
Results 13,541 to 13,560 of 22852
Like Tree8978Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

On the topic of pay, has the union decided who they are backing in the mayoral race? This is an important election as the uniformed services are already behind a few years on a contract. Whoever wins will have a significant impact on pay and benefits for the foreseeable future (and retro) for better or for worse.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by teufelhunden36 View Post
    Damn right. If I had to pick a team, it'd be the Mets because the Yankees are a bunch of prissy f****. But I find baseball about as useful as **** on a bull. Watching baseball is like sitting on a cement chair watching paint dry while listening to that stupid "stronger than the storm" song over and over again.
    I love you. That's top 5 greatest posts I've ever read.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    Chill bro.. I'm at 43xx.. We got this. You can't judge the numbers from this class or January's class be of the PH, and EMS guys.. Next July will give a much more accurate ratio..I'd say anyone under 7000 is fine.

Waiting an extra year might suck, as long as I get in a class, doesn't matter if its the last class I'm fine. 2-3 years to wait for 25+ years of living the dream? I'll take it.
    Amen. Couldn't have said it myself. At the Rock getting the sh** beat out of us..it's a beautiful thing..

I don't care about waiting. I guess the silver lining is that I have some time to prepare to get in shape for the physical. Until then, good luck to everyone who got called!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Whats a good list number? :0(
    One that'll get you hired in 4 years. Remember, the guy who graduates in last place from medical school is still a doctor.

Forum Member

Hold on here. DOCs top pay is the same as ours and so are your benefits, holidays and differentials. With deductions, there's absolutely no way you're taking home 3 grand a check. It's not possible. Are you talking about gross pay?
    dude, D.O.C basepay is the same, but we have plenty of OT.. At top pay with night differential (which me being steady night shift I get on all my OT) an overtime shift is over $500.. So if you do a few overtime shifts, which currently I usually do about 30-40 hours a month, your easily boosting your salary a few thousand each month. I've heard from plenty of C.O's who make 6 figure income routinely. The C.O I worked with the other night who has 8 years on the job made $127k last yr. So at 127K, im sure he's Netting 3k a check.

It's not about the money, but I like that the OT is here at D.O.C because I feel like im not on as much of a fixed income. Sometimes if I want to do something nice for the GF, I don't have to stress about money, because I can stop and think well I'll do a few OT's and that will cover it.. Or when that car insurance bill comes, Im not stressing over it, I can just do extra OT to help.

Forum Member

To add to the salary, I was going to say, it has to be one of the higher paid FD around the country, obviously its expensive to live in New York but I know a LT making 6 figures easy, plus the OT they are getting right now hes living very well.

76,xxx base pay for doing a 24 hour on, 72 off (once you find a mutual) its a pretty good salary i'd say, you could get a 2nd p/t job and still have plenty of time off.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    Well, all I have for you is disappointment. There's no OT, well, there won't be whenever you get on so forget that. I'm not going to discuss MY particular financials, but if you follow the typical road map I can give you an idea. If you put 10% of your pay into tax differed plans (split between voluntary additional pension contributions and a 457 plan), what you'll take home in the average paycheck ain't gonna break $2,000. A few times a year you'll get Holiday Pay and uniform allowance, but that's it.

Between taxes, pension costs, union dues and tax differed savings we net about 50% of our gross paycheck.

This job pays s.h.i.t., but we love it anyway and that's the most important part........I just wish that dedication was currency for mortgage payments.....
    Well how come I keep hearing of people retiring with big pensions from FDNY and making over 100k a yr? or maybe these people are full of crap?

Quote Originally Posted by KingHenrik View Post
    Guys talking about pay: is it really that bad? I know the main draws of the job are not monetary but do you live comfortably?

I'm sure alot depends on lifestyle, and I know that most people have second jobs but is that to supplement income or out of necessity?

Lastly with Tier 6 I want to double check that after 25 years you retire with 50%, or is it the average of 5 years - if so which 5 years?

I lied one more thing, what are the chances of the line of duty death pension being reinstated? With a union as strong as FDNY I still don't understand how they made such a huge concession.

Concession? Not so much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    Well how come I keep hearing of people retiring with big pensions from FDNY and making over 100k a yr? or maybe these people are full of crap?
    Who are you hearing this from? At top pay, expect to make between 95,000, and 110,000. Depends on whether you're in an engine or a truck and a few other variables. At 100,000 you'll take home a paycheck that averages out over the year to about 2,100-2,200. OT pays well, but it'll be all but dried up towards the end of next year, beginning of 2015.

I'm living it everyday, trust me.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Pay seems OK to me but I'm coming from the private sector where pay sucks, benefits suck, and the only retirement package or pension we have is a social security system that baby boomers will of long bankrupted by the time we're old enough to collect.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

There will be guys retiring with big pay checks, you take home half of your best 3 averaged years salary including the OT. Theres TONS of OT right now and there's guys who would retire, but are staying to get their best 3 years in. Once these classes start making a dent in the OT, the retirees will start going up, which means they need more probies.

Forum Member

How many classes have to come out before OT dries up?

Forum Member

Whoops sorry didn't see that south BX had already answered that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    dude, D.O.C basepay is the same, but we have plenty of OT.. At top pay with night differential (which me being steady night shift I get on all my OT) an overtime shift is over $500.. So if you do a few overtime shifts, which currently I usually do about 30-40 hours a month, your easily boosting your salary a few thousand each month. I've heard from plenty of C.O's who make 6 figure income routinely. The C.O I worked with the other night who has 8 years on the job made $127k last yr. So at 127K, im sure he's Netting 3k a check.

It's not about the money, but I like that the OT is here at D.O.C because I feel like im not on as much of a fixed income. Sometimes if I want to do something nice for the GF, I don't have to stress about money, because I can stop and think well I'll do a few OT's and that will cover it.. Or when that car insurance bill comes, Im not stressing over it, I can just do extra OT to help.
    Sorry, bro, but that's not adding up. I've had top pay checks with 30-40 hours of overtime A PAY PERIOD and didn't clear 3 grand. It's not possible. And besides that, we have built in overtime as part of our benefits. Before we even do ordered OT, we're at just under 100 grand; I know guys with 20+ years on who do overtime every check and they're not hitting 3 grand. A night shift for us at top pay with the differential is 1000 bucks; I've had at least a night tour on each check since hitting top pay and I clear just over 2 grand. Not looking to discredit you, but there's no way you guys are bringing home 3 grand a check.
    Last edited by teufelhunden36; 08-27-2013 at 07:02 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I love you. That's top 5 greatest posts I've ever read.
    Thanks. I think.

Forum Member

Thanks. I think.
    Lol.. In a good way. The best part was the stronger then the storm part.. Chris Christie and the rest of the actors in that commercial seem sooo fake.

Forum Member

Sorry, bro, but that's not adding up. I've had top pay checks with 30-40 hours of overtime A PAY PERIOD and didn't clear 3 grand. It's not possible. And besides that, we have built in overtime as part of our benefits. Before we even do ordered OT, we're at just under 100 grand; I know guys with 20+ years on who do overtime every check and they're not hitting 3 grand. A night shift for us at top pay with the differential is 1000 bucks; I've had at least a night tour on each check since hitting top pay and I clear just over 2 grand. Not looking to discredit you, but there's no way you guys are bringing home 3 grand a check.
    My parents neighbor is DOC and he showed me his check once trying to persuade me into taking the DOC exam as a fallback, his take home for the pay period was about 3k.

Forum Member

Some of the "actors" in that commercial are actually his family. My wife asked me why all of the actors were fat, the look on her face when I said it's his family was priceless.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

One of my NCO's in the guard was a city C.O. Shes 18 years in and showed me a check with a net pay of over $4,300. She said it was becuz of O.T. but i cant remember how many hours and i cant remember her rank. So i def believe the 3k thing.

Still. I need a job that ill love. And C.O aint it. I dont care if it was 5k.

Thread Information