Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 680 of 1142 FirstFirst ... 180580630670677678679680681682683690730780 ... LastLast
Results 13,581 to 13,600 of 22829
Like Tree8972Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    About time the board is back up. I was hoping with the board not working we would get our packets in the mail, wishful thinking. Any other guys here take the medical lately ?
    lol was hoping for the same thing. I must've tried commenting about 10x yesterday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    lol was hoping for the same thing. I must've tried commenting about 10x yesterday.
    Haha, yeah I just figured no one had any important info to post so it was dead. Shoulda known better that's never stopped us before hahaha. I'm glad I've got something to refresh every 20 minutes at work again.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that spends half of the work day hitting refresh on this board.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    It's good to know that I'm not the only one that spends half of the work day hitting refresh on this board.
    I actually thought the forum had some auto censor for the bad joke I was going to crack about how quiet it's been. Silly old me I guess.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
    just an update. stairmaster got me at the medical on tues. i train pretty well with a vest an a heart rate monitor. to confirm they take your resting heart rate. lets say mine is 54bpm, then they put you on the stairmaster for 3mins without a vest and you cant double your resting heart rate which sucks if you have a low one like mine. i missed it by a few beats, i didnt even feel winded or like i was elevated but i didnt pass it. if you do pass that part, then you will get a rest, then they will put you on for 5 mins with a 50#vest. and you cannot go over your target heart rate. mine is about 170. i never go over it in the gym with an 80# vest. but i didnt make it to that part.

moral of the story. if you wanna pass the first time around. get a heart rate monitor, a vest and try this process in your gym for a few months tilll you can make sure you dont double your resting heart rate, and dont go over your target heart rate. trust me guys if you are not training hard now, you will fail the stairmaster. you only get a months notice from the time you get the medical till the time you have to go. and even if your list number is 900 or 2000 you can never predict when that letter if gonna come. i work at a gym and have had a few guys come in nervous because they just got there medical notice when they thought they werent gonna get for months. and now they have 2 weeks to train.

that sucks man sorry to hear..

i'm in the 4000's, so although i probably won't get called for a couple of years, i've been training for the last month intensively and will continue to do so until i get called for the physical..it's in everyone's best interest to do the same, especially for ppl that are about to be called..for alot of guys this is their only shot (goes for me as well, turning 29 end of the year), so make it count!

Forum Member

Another question about the warm up for the medical, is it the same steps per minute as the actual test. I thought it was but a few pages back someone said the warm up on the step mill was the same as level 5 on some step mills, level 6 is 60 steps per minute so level 5 would be less. Can the guys that have just done the medical confirm.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Another question about the warm up for the medical, is it the same steps per minute as the actual test. I thought it was but a few pages back someone said the warm up on the step mill was the same as level 5 on some step mills, level 6 is 60 steps per minute so level 5 would be less. Can the guys that have just done the medical confirm.
    60 steps per minute for warm up as well.
    Last edited by USMC2024; 08-29-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MESAman View Post
    Some possibly useful pension info I found out today after speaking with NYCERS...not sure who it may apply to on here: I have been in the pension since 5/2007, and the guy I spoke to said that for current NYCERS Tier 4 members, such as myself, once you switch over to FDNY, you would temporarily be placed in the new Tier 6 status, but then you'd be eligible to transfer back to Tier 4 under the FD pension system. It would take about 8 months to a year for that transfer to take effect after you begin employment with FD. As far as any effect this could have on when your time counts (up front/back end), he couldn't say, and suggested contacting someone in the FD who deals with pensions for that info. Take it for what it's worth, I'm not sure how accurate that is, but I figured I'd pass it along for anyone this may apply to.

So...would anyone happen to know who or what office at FD would be able to verify this and possibly elaborate?
    Just another FYI on this for anyone interested, according to what I saw on the NYS comptroller website, there is no Tier 4 under the police and fire pension for FDNY... so that means what that guy from NYCERS told me makes no sense. Oh well...anyway, glad to see the board is up an running again.

Forum Member

I know the step mill test makes many nervous, but I've concluded that if you've done the work leading up to it, even if you fail to pass the first time, you'll pass the second time. The test does not account for nervousness and it seems that gets many people.

I practiced the test numerous times on the stepmill at my gym with both the vest and the heart rate monitor, passing each time by a significant amount. My first try on the stepmill at the medical office, I did not get past the warm up portion. Everything else went well and when the nurse came to schedule us for the re-test, I signed up for the very NEXT day. In I went and was significantly under the threshold on warm-up portion and was under by several beats at the 5:12 mark, passing at that mark.

Anyway, good luck to everyone going in for the first time or for a re-test. Don't sweat it.

Forum Member

Lets give it up to the brothers in Brooklyn today pulling 11 people from that building.

Lets hope we can live up to that.
    FDsouthbxNY and mocon337 like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    NYPD, NYC DOC and FDNY all have a base pay parity of $76,488. DOC does not top out at 10k less than FDNY
    All salaries are indeed topped out at $76488. FDNY receives $22616 in guaranteed overtime and other fringe benefits which brings us to $99104. Which is about 10k more than DOC before figuring in regular overtime that you accumulate. So, yes, before overtime, FDNY makes about 10k more than DOC.

OAK
    Forum Member

Fellas, quick question...Prior to the warm up on the Stairmaster, how do they check your resting heart rate meaning are you sitting down, standing up or lying down? I'm trying to get the most accurate reading so I can hopefully pass this the first time around. Thx in advance

Forum Member

after seeing these probies at the rock, i can just say they are pitiful.
    i could actually say more, but it'll just stay at that.
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I hope this helps anyone who is at about my running times for 2.5 miles which was at a 8min pace(2.5 miles in 20 min)

For workouts 1-15 reference to page 580 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...0/#post1374062 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 16-31 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1377307 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    For workouts 32-46 reference to page 615 http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t121...5/#post1381814 (FDNY Exam 2000)
    (47) 800m warm-up
    8-600m 2:30 with 3 min rest
    800m cool down
    (48) slept threw alarm(no practice needed for this)
    (49) 800m warm up
    3-800m 3:20 with 3 min rest
    4-400m 1:30 with 2 min rest
    4-200m :40 with 1:30 rest
    800m cool down
    (50) 6 miles of biking
    1.5 mile at comfortable pace before upper-body workout

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    Fellas, quick question...Prior to the warm up on the Stairmaster, how do they check your resting heart rate meaning are you sitting down, standing up or lying down? I'm trying to get the most accurate reading so I can hopefully pass this the first time around. Thx in advance
    they take it while you are sitting down. my resting heart rate even though i am about 10 pounds over my peak performance weight is always around 53bpm, but you will most likely be a little more nervous than usuall so mine was 61 bpm when they took it, plus i was trying to amp myself up to make it higher lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdnybk View Post
    after seeing these probies at the rock, i can just say they are pitiful.
    i could actually say more, but it'll just stay at that.
    What made them so pitiful?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    I need to add one more fact about pay; All new city hires (the ones who got here on their own merit) are being hired under Tier 6 and this includes those who were hired by EMS after Tier 6 was adopted. You are all taking home more money than prior city hires do. You're not making more, you're simply taking home more and the reason for this is your inability to add additional pre and post-tax funds. In other words, you are not able to invest voluntarily in the pension system, you only contribute what is contractually agreed upon.

This means there will be significantly less money for you in retirement and you need to plan for that now. While everyone wants more cash in their pocket now, no one wants to eat cat food when they retire. Your solution is to place more money in either a tax deffered 457 account (similar to a 401k) or a Roth IRA, ect.

I'm not sure how much guidance probies will get on this matter, but you should be getting more than you probably will. With some luck a good senior man or union delegate in your firehouse will be able to steer you well, but keep in mind that you MUST plan for retirement. Take less home now....you'll be happy you did.
    Thank you very much for this advice.

My father, fresh into retirement, and my brother who just got on in May are/were both tier 2. From what they made it sound like was that anyone getting Tier 6 is getting a bit "shafted". How do you guys OTJ feel about the transition from Tier 2 to Tier 6?

Also from what I understand, when tier 2 first came out it also wasn't too great. But the city finally got around to fixing it. Do you think a fix on Tier 6 may take as long as our careers?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    The 96 hours of RSOT...is that all on 8 hour tours throughout the year?

Also how many weeks vacation is it at top pay? is it 5 or 6 weeks?

Im assuming FDNY work the same 2,088 hours per year that NYPD works. Once you find a mutual partner and work 24 hr tours all year...does that come out to 87 appearances a year without the RSOT?
    You don't need to know the answer to either of these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    do the firehouses have a workout room in them?
    Yes but as a probie you won't be working out while you are on duty.

Pensions: There are 3 possible tiers you could end up in: 2, 3, or 3 modified by 6 ("6"). My understanding on the subject is if you have any pensionable time with the city or state prior to 7/1/2009 you will be able to convert your pension into tier 2 and your time will count up front (only for the pension though, not for pay or seniority). If you have pensionable time between 7/1/2009 and I think 4/1/2012 you can convert your pension to tier 3. Time doesn't count on front or back, just counts towards the 5 years needed to vest into the pension system. If you didn't enter the pension till after 4/1/2012 (or are a total new hire, obviously) you will be in 6.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
    they take it while you are sitting down. my resting heart rate even though i am about 10 pounds over my peak performance weight is always around 53bpm, but you will most likely be a little more nervous than usuall so mine was 61 bpm when they took it, plus i was trying to amp myself up to make it higher lol
    i have the same plan you did...Im going to try and breathe the same way you do when you enter really cold water, hi swallow and fast...Hope it works

Forum Member

Pensions: There are 3 possible tiers you could end up in: 2, 3, or 3 modified by 6 ("6"). My understanding on the subject is if you have any pensionable time with the city or state prior to 7/1/2009 you will be able to convert your pension into tier 2 and your time will count up front (only for the pension though, not for pay or seniority). If you have pensionable time between 7/1/2009 and I think 4/1/2012 you can convert your pension to tier 3. Time doesn't count on front or back, just counts towards the 5 years needed to vest into the pension system. If you didn't enter the pension till after 4/1/2012 (or are a total new hire, obviously) you will be in 6.[/QUOTE]

Hi Manhattan medic,

I have a quick question, I have been working for the city since june 2008 as a seasonal lifeguard. It's considered pensionable time, but I have never actually contributed or enrolled in a particular tier. What would I come in under? I know it shouldn't be the first thing I should be concerned with, but just curious. Thank you

Just for background im 15XX on the list

Thread Information