Like Tree11256Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

friend just called that dcas #; DCAS IS CERTIFIED TO NUMBER 1346
    He spoke to someone live
    Last edited by coldblood92; 12-27-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

What does that mean?

Forum Member

Default dcas

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    friend just called that dcas #; DCAS IS CERTIFIED TO NUMBER 1346
    He spoke to someone live
    I can confirm this as well. Its not updated on the automated # but you have to call someone at DCAS and speak to them live.

Im surprised those useless POS at DCAS even gave out that information but they actually did their job this time

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
    What does that mean?
    If I had to guess, up to list number 1346 has completed the CPAT and the department is allowed to process those candidates further. Correct me if I'm wrong but once we pass the CPAT, basically DCAS is done with us and the rest of the hiring process is in the hands of CID ?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List # 11xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    If I had to guess, up to list number 1346 has completed the CPAT and the department is allowed to process those candidates further. Correct me if I'm wrong but once we pass the CPAT, basically DCAS is done with us and the rest of the hiring process is in the hands of CID ?

Ya, I think you're right. This most likely means you're confirmed as passing the written, and the CPAT. Clearly it doesn't mean you're "good to go" as there's a bunch of us on here who should have gotten the run letter earlier this week and haven't, for various reasons.

Forum Member

so do we think April 2014 for the next batch of packets to be sent out? sounds about right

congrats on those who got letters, hope more go out today... anyone get an actual physical copy of the letter yet or are all these things just scanned pdfs of the run letters?
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Most FF at top pay are finishing with close to 130k this year. The top OT earners made 140 to 145k as reg firemen. A lot of guys will retire with this years average and last years from Sandy OT.
    That makes sense for the number of vacancies to increase. Also, I assume FFs looking to retire are waiting to get their probies before they retire so that their firehouse won't be very short staffed.

Does anyone have a clue how many vacancies there are now? I think it was 600 before any probies were hired of list 2500 but what's the number now? Does the department still average about 50 retirees per month ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    That makes sense for the number of vacancies to increase. Also, I assume FFs looking to retire are waiting to get their probies before they retire so that their firehouse won't be very short staffed.

Does anyone have a clue how many vacancies there are now? I think it was 600 before any probies were hired of list 2500 but what's the number now? Does the department still average about 50 retirees per month ?
    they aren't going to care about their FH being short staffed. that will just create more OT for everyone else. If they want to retire.....they will retire. No need to wait for probies to get to their house.

Forum Member

A friend that is 33x got his run letter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    I can confirm this as well. Its not updated on the automated # but you have to call someone at DCAS and speak to them live.

Im surprised those useless POS at DCAS even gave out that information but they actually did their job this time
    What is the number to speak with someone live? I would like to speak with someone about changing some of my information. I couldn't figure out how to get on a line with someone, only automated non sense.

Forum Member

Number for DCAS please?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Ya, I think you're right. This most likely means you're confirmed as passing the written, and the CPAT. Clearly it doesn't mean you're "good to go" as there's a bunch of us on here who should have gotten the run letter earlier this week and haven't, for various reasons.
    What range in the 300s are you to not have received a run letter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    A friend that is 33x got his run letter
    He get it today?

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post

Under 350

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    I believe that 388 was the last to receive a run letter. Grok knew someone in the 360's who got one and I believe the 388 number that DCAS put out correlates with the run letters sent.

Forum Member

He told me he got it right before
    Xmas

Forum Member

Let's face it this list is gonna move real slow for awhile since the PHs can keep recycling until someone passes them through since they come out with top pay and seniority. What a crummy situation for OC guys.
    vekdoggs75 and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Is it me or is it crazy for people to fail the run after being physically fit to complete the cpat. I haven't done the cpat yet but that makes me more nervous than 1.5 under 13. My most recent time was 10:56.

Forum Member

He told me he got it right before
    Xmas
    whew ok ty

Forum Member

Default Elevation Training

Has anyone here attempted any type of elevation training with the mask or otherwise? I just picked one up for myself and was curious to hear anyone's experience with it and what type of training you did using it.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    Ah. John, John, John

Yes, you indeed posted comments that were offensive, ignorant, untrue, uncalled for and malicious in their intent to not only be unjustly hurtful but to garner a response of anger. It's almost satirical reading your comments on the downhill turn the dept is taking by hiring minorities when in point of fact it is people like you whom are the reason that any good dept goes downhill. The term "reverse discrimination" is truly one of the more ridiculous terms to have been contrived in this century. It implies that there are perhaps two separate types of racism - or that one is superior to another when in fact racism = racism. No need to add a pre-condition to the word. And before you mention your first amendment rights being trampled upon, know this: the first amendment does grant you freedom of speech but does not say there will not be consequences to said speech or reactions to said speech when it is hurtful or inflammatory. Yes, John, I have been to countries where there is no freedom of speech or any other freedom that so many take for granted. Countries where you are disappeared for making comments against officials or worry about your children disappearing on their way home from school if they are girls. You are full of hate and anger. You sound so bitter and rage. I feel sorry for you. I feel sorry for those around you. You can not be a happy person if you carry around all that turmoil. But even with the empathy that you ha elicited from me you need to keep your anger and resentment off this board. You must see that it is your comments that have driven away other posters who were OTJ. Manhattan Medic has never claimed to know everything. He is simply a good man who has accomplished something we all aspire to and is trying to provide some insight and guidance to those who are asking.
    What's going on with the hiring of PH's is in fact reverse discrimination. Look it up in the dictionary.

reverse discrimination
    noun

: the practice of making it more difficult for a certain type of person (such as a white man) to get a job, to go to a school, etc., because other people who were treated unfairly in the past are now being given an advantage

I am not going to say whether or not John is a racist. I don't know him... But I can tell he is frustrated with how things are currently being processed. A lot of us have been waiting for year's to get our shot at the academy only to be derailed by some political BS. Now, we have to standby and watch guys who did not do as well on exams be given a shot.
    vekdoggs75 and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Is it me or is it crazy for people to fail the run after being physically fit to complete the cpat. I haven't done the cpat yet but that makes me more nervous than 1.5 under 13. My most recent time was 10:56.
    It's really not that crazy. If you have decent upper body strength and the will to just bull through it the cpat is not challenging at all or extremely cardio based. I took my time not even really pushing it and I did it in something like 7:35.

Running is not something that can be faked or bulled through in anyway really. Your legs need the strength to keep pushing(which is usually the least worked group of muscles among most people, not to mention running muscles are different than doing squats per say) and you need the lung capacity and strength to provide enough oxygen for your system to keep pushing your leg muscles.

Doesn't shock me at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Has anyone here attempted any type of elevation training with the mask or otherwise? I just picked one up for myself and was curious to hear anyone's experience with it and what type of training you did using it.
    I was actually contemplating on buying 1 of those masks myself.
    sffdnyhopeful09 likes this.

Forum Member

Wendy tapia is a perfect example of this assuming she wasn't given a hand out for the cpat.

Forum Member

I guess some people after waiting months after their cpat don't keep up with the running. But in terms of what's more difficult, I don't know they're both trivial if you train for them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I was actually contemplating on buying 1 of those masks myself.
    Personally it's a waste of money in mind. While on an scba you are actually breathing in a higher concentration of oxygen than normal room air. One of those masks that simulates getting less oxygen really won't help with anything other than get you comfortable with wearing a mask on your face which can be done much cheaper just by buying a Scott pack mask off eBay on the cheap.
    HopefulFF likes this.

Thread Information