Like Tree9870Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This really depressed me. 2400 total spots and 1500 already taken? I have to be reading this wrong, excuse me if I sound stupid I am really sick and taking lots of nyquil.

what about the recycles? Sorry if this has been asnwered I have been working sick for the past like 10 days non stop and my mind is mush.
    Don't worry I think your reading this wrong. They went through 1500, doesn't mean all 1500 are taking the job. They want to hire 2400 guys, with the ratio there usually is it could take 8,000-10,000 guys (in my opinion).

Forum Member

This really depressed me. 2400 total spots and 1500 already taken? I have to be reading this wrong, excuse me if I sound stupid I am really sick and taking lots of nyquil.

what about the recycles? Sorry if this has been asnwered I have been working sick for the past like 10 days non stop and my mind is mush.

For 2013, the FDNY hired two classes of probationary firefighters... If I recall, each started with 300 and change... Class 1 of 2013 graduated 285 and Class 2 of 2013 graduated 242 (If I recall correctly).

I would think that the tentatively scheduled class for January 2014 will also start with 300 and change... I say tentative because there are those that have run(or were scheduled for the run, can't remember which) and then the class never occurred. Anyway, the city and the FDNY has not hired anywhere near the 2400 they projected.

On another note, for January 7th, NOAA weather is predicting a balmy high temperature of 12F.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-02-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    DC33017 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    For 2013, the FDNY hired two classes of probationary firefighters... If I recall, each started with 300 and change... Class 1 of 2013 graduated 285 and Class 2 of 2013 graduated 242 (If I recall correctly).

I would think that the tentatively scheduled class for January 2014 will also start with 300 and change... I say tentative because there are those that have run(or were scheduled for the run, can't remember which) and then the class never occurred. Anyway, the city and the FDNY has not hired anywhere near the 2400 they projected.

On another note, for January 7th, NOAA weather is predicting a balmy high temperature of 12F.
    12F? I hope you boys lotion up, wouldn't wanna get sunburn out there.

Forum Member

think I'm going to invest in a face mask. worst case scenario is they say I can't wear it but if I can it will def block some of that cold air in my lungs!
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    think I'm going to invest in a face mask. worst case scenario is they say I can't wear it but if I can it will def block some of that cold air in my lungs!
    I wouldn't do that, the whole FDNY academy is everyone plays by the same rules. You don't want to be different right off the bat. Knit cap, that's the way I would go.
    ffbam24 likes this.

Forum Member

They will be hiring a lot more than that. There will be a lot of guys retiring once the OT dries up

MembersZone Subscriber

The medium Under Armour bags tend to hold up the best. I used mine through Probie School and then passed it on to a buddy in the next class, where it held up fine for him. You'll have to remove the detachable strap though. You're not slinging a purse. It also holds its shape well. You'll be carrying books, waterbottle, spare socks, duct tape, snacks, etc in these. You do not want a flimsy gym bag. You'll find out why at some point, but I don't want to spoil that for you.

The one at the QM is crap, guys that bought those ended buying a different one (usually UA) because they came apart before halfway through. Plus, I didn't even see one on display when I was there recently.

Forum Member

The last run will be on Jan 15th.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    The medium Under Armour bags tend to hold up the best. I used mine through Probie School and then passed it on to a buddy in the next class, where it held up fine for him. You'll have to remove the detachable strap though. You're not slinging a purse. It also holds its shape well. You'll be carrying books, waterbottle, spare socks, duct tape, snacks, etc in these. You do not want a flimsy gym bag. You'll find out why at some point, but I don't want to spoil that for you.

The one at the QM is crap, guys that bought those ended buying a different one (usually UA) because they came apart before halfway through. Plus, I didn't even see one on display when I was there recently.
    Thanks, bam. I have the LG model, just gotta find some tape or a black marker now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    Don't do this. Be anonymous. A face mask because you're going to be a little cold is not anonymous. A hat and gloves are not absurd, but don't do a face mask.

Forum Member

WHIch AcADemY IS bEttEr To GO iNto as far as weather conditions? Jan or July?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    WHIch AcADemY IS bEttEr To GO iNto as far as weather conditions? Jan or July?
    The one that you get get called for......
    ffbam24, mocon337, NycQ83 and 3 others like this.

Forum Member

The last run will be on Jan 15th.
    Any news on if they'll dip deeper into the OC list?

I'm wondering that maybe the run on the 9th is for all the recycles.. Because a lot of guys who were in that 102-360 list # range got called to run on the 7th and only 2 guys posted about the 9th. I wonder why we haven't heard anyone else posting about the 9th. I'm really praying for a letter sometime next week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    my thoughts exactly
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    yeah obviously. I was expecting an answer like that. People have posted before about which one is worse.

Forum Member

yeah obviously. I was expecting an answer like that. People have posted before about which one is worse.
    I know bro, just busting your chops. I like the summer better, but everyone is different.

Forum Member

I don't know if it's one of those things we aren't supposed to know, but can any of you guys on the job share what the cadence is for pushups and sit-ups? Or at least what would count as one rep/what wouldn't?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

With two classes a year, one starts out in the cold and ends just before it gets into the hot part of the year. The other starts out when it's hot and ends just before it gets really cold.

The weather is essentially irrelevant...Fires and emergencies happen in all kinds of weather... in the heat of the summer and in deep freeze of the winter... rain, wind, snow, blizzards, thunderstorms.

As far as winter running, I spent many mornings running in temperatures below 15F. Eventually, your body will adapt and it really isn't that bad... The mean NYC temperature for February is approximately 34F... for March, 42F... For April, 52F and for May, 60F.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to be part of a team again... the physical challenges, the mental challenges... the opportunity to learn new things everyday... and to having a real trade to develop and apply.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-02-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    infolet333 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    I don't know if it's one of those things we aren't supposed to know, but can any of you guys on the job share what the cadence is for pushups and sit-ups? Or at least what would count as one rep/what wouldn't?
    No idea as to what the exact cadence is for FDNY, but I use this to practice to a cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhwT5fC5Wqg

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    No idea as to what the exact cadence is for FDNY, but I use this to practice to a cadence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhwT5fC5Wqg
    Same one I use. What numbers are you getting up to? The cadence push ups are way harder, for sure. I'm getting to about 40 before my push ups start to look real ugly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Same one I use. What numbers are you getting up to? The cadence push ups are way harder, for sure. I'm getting to about 40 before my push ups start to look real ugly.
    Gotta get on that high intensity interval shoveling flow.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Gotta get on that high intensity interval shoveling flow.
    Hah nahh bro, my landlord lives under me.. He's got this one
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

I never said 1500 guys hired thus far lol.. I said the EMS list was approx. 900, and the PH's that they have to hire are about 600, so that's 1500 candidates that were called to process before a single person on the OC list was processed and hired.

Forum Member

The number of PH's that the City was mandated to hire is 293 not 'about 600.' Also I do not believe that they exhausted the entire PH list, so there will be spots in this upcoming class not only for PH recycles, but for PH's who are getting their first shot at the academy. I believe that there were only 123 PH's who entered the academy with the last class and only 76 of whom graduated in December.

Forum Member

Last night while I was at work I saw a guy running through Fulton and Flatbush on nike running gear .. I hope it wasn't anyone of your guys waiting for the run ... Anyone of you guys happen to be the guy I saw running ?

Thread Information