Like Tree9870Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #17301
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This really depressed me. 2400 total spots and 1500 already taken? I have to be reading this wrong, excuse me if I sound stupid I am really sick and taking lots of nyquil.


    what about the recycles? Sorry if this has been asnwered I have been working sick for the past like 10 days non stop and my mind is mush.
    Don't worry I think your reading this wrong. They went through 1500, doesn't mean all 1500 are taking the job. They want to hire 2400 guys, with the ratio there usually is it could take 8,000-10,000 guys (in my opinion).

  2. #17302
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This really depressed me. 2400 total spots and 1500 already taken? I have to be reading this wrong, excuse me if I sound stupid I am really sick and taking lots of nyquil.

    what about the recycles? Sorry if this has been asnwered I have been working sick for the past like 10 days non stop and my mind is mush.

    For 2013, the FDNY hired two classes of probationary firefighters... If I recall, each started with 300 and change... Class 1 of 2013 graduated 285 and Class 2 of 2013 graduated 242 (If I recall correctly).

    I would think that the tentatively scheduled class for January 2014 will also start with 300 and change... I say tentative because there are those that have run(or were scheduled for the run, can't remember which) and then the class never occurred. Anyway, the city and the FDNY has not hired anywhere near the 2400 they projected.

    On another note, for January 7th, NOAA weather is predicting a balmy high temperature of 12F.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-02-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    DC33017 likes this.

  3. #17303
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    For 2013, the FDNY hired two classes of probationary firefighters... If I recall, each started with 300 and change... Class 1 of 2013 graduated 285 and Class 2 of 2013 graduated 242 (If I recall correctly).

    I would think that the tentatively scheduled class for January 2014 will also start with 300 and change... I say tentative because there are those that have run(or were scheduled for the run, can't remember which) and then the class never occurred. Anyway, the city and the FDNY has not hired anywhere near the 2400 they projected.

    On another note, for January 7th, NOAA weather is predicting a balmy high temperature of 12F.
    12F? I hope you boys lotion up, wouldn't wanna get sunburn out there.

  4. #17304
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    88

    Default

    think I'm going to invest in a face mask. worst case scenario is they say I can't wear it but if I can it will def block some of that cold air in my lungs!
    exam 2000
    list #2**
    score 105

  5. #17305
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    think I'm going to invest in a face mask. worst case scenario is they say I can't wear it but if I can it will def block some of that cold air in my lungs!
    I wouldn't do that, the whole FDNY academy is everyone plays by the same rules. You don't want to be different right off the bat. Knit cap, that's the way I would go.
    ffbam24 likes this.

  6. #17306
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    214

    Default

    They will be hiring a lot more than that. There will be a lot of guys retiring once the OT dries up

  7. #17307
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ffbam24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,482

    Default

    The medium Under Armour bags tend to hold up the best. I used mine through Probie School and then passed it on to a buddy in the next class, where it held up fine for him. You'll have to remove the detachable strap though. You're not slinging a purse. It also holds its shape well. You'll be carrying books, waterbottle, spare socks, duct tape, snacks, etc in these. You do not want a flimsy gym bag. You'll find out why at some point, but I don't want to spoil that for you.

    The one at the QM is crap, guys that bought those ended buying a different one (usually UA) because they came apart before halfway through. Plus, I didn't even see one on display when I was there recently.

  8. #17308
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    163

    Default

    The last run will be on Jan 15th.
    JDNY13 likes this.

  9. #17309
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    The medium Under Armour bags tend to hold up the best. I used mine through Probie School and then passed it on to a buddy in the next class, where it held up fine for him. You'll have to remove the detachable strap though. You're not slinging a purse. It also holds its shape well. You'll be carrying books, waterbottle, spare socks, duct tape, snacks, etc in these. You do not want a flimsy gym bag. You'll find out why at some point, but I don't want to spoil that for you.

    The one at the QM is crap, guys that bought those ended buying a different one (usually UA) because they came apart before halfway through. Plus, I didn't even see one on display when I was there recently.
    Thanks, bam. I have the LG model, just gotta find some tape or a black marker now.

  10. #17310
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcfd31 View Post
    think I'm going to invest in a face mask. worst case scenario is they say I can't wear it but if I can it will def block some of that cold air in my lungs!
    Don't do this. Be anonymous. A face mask because you're going to be a little cold is not anonymous. A hat and gloves are not absurd, but don't do a face mask.

  11. #17311
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    163

    Default

    WHIch AcADemY IS bEttEr To GO iNto as far as weather conditions? Jan or July?

  12. #17312
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    WHIch AcADemY IS bEttEr To GO iNto as far as weather conditions? Jan or July?
    The one that you get get called for......
    ffbam24, mocon337, NycQ83 and 3 others like this.

  13. #17313
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    The last run will be on Jan 15th.
    Any news on if they'll dip deeper into the OC list?

    I'm wondering that maybe the run on the 9th is for all the recycles.. Because a lot of guys who were in that 102-360 list # range got called to run on the 7th and only 2 guys posted about the 9th. I wonder why we haven't heard anyone else posting about the 9th. I'm really praying for a letter sometime next week.

  14. #17314
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    The one that you get get called for......
    my thoughts exactly
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

  15. #17315
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    The one that you get get called for......
    yeah obviously. I was expecting an answer like that. People have posted before about which one is worse.

  16. #17316
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    yeah obviously. I was expecting an answer like that. People have posted before about which one is worse.
    I know bro, just busting your chops. I like the summer better, but everyone is different.

  17. #17317
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    I don't know if it's one of those things we aren't supposed to know, but can any of you guys on the job share what the cadence is for pushups and sit-ups? Or at least what would count as one rep/what wouldn't?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  18. #17318
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    With two classes a year, one starts out in the cold and ends just before it gets into the hot part of the year. The other starts out when it's hot and ends just before it gets really cold.

    The weather is essentially irrelevant...Fires and emergencies happen in all kinds of weather... in the heat of the summer and in deep freeze of the winter... rain, wind, snow, blizzards, thunderstorms.

    As far as winter running, I spent many mornings running in temperatures below 15F. Eventually, your body will adapt and it really isn't that bad... The mean NYC temperature for February is approximately 34F... for March, 42F... For April, 52F and for May, 60F.

    I am looking forward to the opportunity to be part of a team again... the physical challenges, the mental challenges... the opportunity to learn new things everyday... and to having a real trade to develop and apply.
    Last edited by Minerva; 01-02-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    infolet333 likes this.

  19. #17319
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    I don't know if it's one of those things we aren't supposed to know, but can any of you guys on the job share what the cadence is for pushups and sit-ups? Or at least what would count as one rep/what wouldn't?
    No idea as to what the exact cadence is for FDNY, but I use this to practice to a cadence.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhwT5fC5Wqg

  20. #17320
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva View Post
    No idea as to what the exact cadence is for FDNY, but I use this to practice to a cadence.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhwT5fC5Wqg
    Same one I use. What numbers are you getting up to? The cadence push ups are way harder, for sure. I'm getting to about 40 before my push ups start to look real ugly.

  21. #17321
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Same one I use. What numbers are you getting up to? The cadence push ups are way harder, for sure. I'm getting to about 40 before my push ups start to look real ugly.
    Gotta get on that high intensity interval shoveling flow.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

  22. #17322
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Gotta get on that high intensity interval shoveling flow.
    Hah nahh bro, my landlord lives under me.. He's got this one
    JDNY13 likes this.

  23. #17323
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    This really depressed me. 2400 total spots and 1500 already taken? I have to be reading this wrong, excuse me if I sound stupid I am really sick and taking lots of nyquil.

    what about the recycles? Sorry if this has been asnwered I have been working sick for the past like 10 days non stop and my mind is mush.
    I never said 1500 guys hired thus far lol.. I said the EMS list was approx. 900, and the PH's that they have to hire are about 600, so that's 1500 candidates that were called to process before a single person on the OC list was processed and hired.

  24. #17324
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    35

    Default

    The number of PH's that the City was mandated to hire is 293 not 'about 600.' Also I do not believe that they exhausted the entire PH list, so there will be spots in this upcoming class not only for PH recycles, but for PH's who are getting their first shot at the academy. I believe that there were only 123 PH's who entered the academy with the last class and only 76 of whom graduated in December.

  25. #17325
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Last night while I was at work I saw a guy running through Fulton and Flatbush on nike running gear .. I hope it wasn't anyone of your guys waiting for the run ... Anyone of you guys happen to be the guy I saw running ?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 16 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 14 guests)

  1. MuscleHamster,
  2. SIFire

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register