Like Tree9522Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mannyjay View Post
    Lol and then swim across the river if the required you to do so
    Hmmm swiming should start being a requirement too !!! Lol I bet half of the list can't swim lol
    chadxmerch likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bay_ridge_FF View Post
    Yeah, I got bad news for you guys running on the 7th. The highest will be 14 degrees. And the 9th isn't looking good either. For those wondering if they can defer till July, just remember that last year's temperature was 90 degrees and humid. So: pick your poison.

EDIT: FYI, winter class ends at the beginning of summer. And summer class ends in the beginning of winter so I think the former is not bad.
    Don't feel bad for us. There's people on here that would run in boxers if it meant getting into this class. I consider myself fortunate and there's no temperature that would me from that run

Forum Member

I'd run naked if they'd just send out the next batch of run letters!!!

Forum Member

Lol and then swim across the river if the required you to do so
    Lol, that reminds me of the SARS days. Forget about knowing how to swim, its the stamina that will get you.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

I caught the sick bug as well grrrrrr! Sucks, but can't wait for Thurs anyway. Just hope and pray I stay as healthy as possible throughout the academy. Feel better and luck on your run guys.
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 104
    List: 2XX

Forum Member

anything new on the three classes a year front? all that just hot air?

good luck to the guys running tomorrow. if you've already shaved your head, try wearing a nylon hat under a knit hat in this weather. stay safe and healthy in the new year all.
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

Forum Member

The cold sucks but the amount of time you're outside for the run is relatively short, not to mention once you're running you won't notice it. Not to mention you're going to have to get used to it no matter what.
    infolet333 likes this.

Forum Member

Smile

I have a question regarding the jan '14 academy coming up hopefully somebody could shed some light.

I have been training for years but generally trained indoors during the winter. With the winter academy now coming up, now is the time to go buy stuff like underarmour thermals, leggings etc. But should I buy new winter gloves? Does the fdny supply us with gloves and a hat, or do we have to buy our own?

Also, is it like the NYPD, where we have to buy all our gear before the academy, or do they issue us the stuff for free?
    FDNY exam 2000 score: 104

list number: 2xx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by infolet333 View Post
    I have a question regarding the jan '14 academy coming up hopefully somebody could shed some light.

I have been training for years but generally trained indoors during the winter. With the winter academy now coming up, now is the time to go buy stuff like underarmour thermals, leggings etc. But should I buy new winter gloves? Does the fdny supply us with gloves and a hat, or do we have to buy our own?

Also, is it like the NYPD, where we have to buy all our gear before the academy, or do they issue us the stuff for free?
    Underarmour type stuff can be bought and worn underneath the standard PT uniform, and that's up to you (I never wore any but that's just me). You are issued a winter hat and during PT you are allowed to wear your winter hat and blue FF gloves, however those are your only choice for hat/gloves during PT. During morning/evening roll call the rules are up to the DIs, don't do anything until they tell you to do it.

All uniforms are issued to you at no cost. Try and buy an extra set of collar brass and a tie clip in case you or someone in your squad loses them.

Forum Member

For the guys that got their run letters I'm curious to know how many days of rest you are giving your legs before your run day?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    For the guys that got their run letters I'm curious to know how many days of rest you are giving your legs before your run day?
    Seriously, it's a mile and a half. Don't make it more than what it is.
    John246 likes this.

Forum Member

I was planning on today being the last day I ran before the test, but I had to skip it because I'm sick. The day of rest will be more beneficial compared to whatever I would gain by running today.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I was planning on today being the last day I ran before the test, but I had to skip it because I'm sick. The day of rest will be more beneficial compared to whatever I would gain by running today.
    Yeah resting is very important. personally I wouldn't run the day before the run day. I have so much energy and hit my desired time when I give my legs 2-3 days rest from any training including stairs, squats, etc.

Forum Member

The instructor Shane said he recommended 2 days of rest before the run. In his words (which I agree with) if you aren't ready by now, you won't be ready later this week. I'm running on the 9th so my last run will be Monday.
    dawk34 likes this.

Forum Member

I'm curious, how many people are running on the 9th?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    The instructor Shane said he recommended 2 days of rest before the run. In his words (which I agree with) if you aren't ready by now, you won't be ready later this week. I'm running on the 9th so my last run will be Monday.
    This is it. Y'all should be in good enough shape to EASILY run 1.5 miles the day before your actual run. That said, don't. Also, once you've passed the run I would take it easy for the time before the academy starts. You will work your *** off, and you will be injured in the academy. Take a break and go in at 100%.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2go View Post
    Anyone OTJ recommend carpooling to the academy?

List# 3xx
    Run Jan 7th
    I drove myself everyday. Pay cash at the tolls and keep the receipts bc the city will reimburse you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tripps82 View Post
    I drove myself everyday. Pay cash at the tolls and keep the receipts bc the city will reimburse you.
    since when does the city reimburse you for tolls?
    I think you mean that you can write it off on your taxes

Forum Member

They reimburse you, they collect the receipts. It doesn't come till way later, when you already on the job, but you do get reimbursed.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    They reimburse you, they collect the receipts. It doesn't come till way later, when you already on the job, but you do get reimbursed.
    Would be a nice $675 to get back though (I did the math). Treat yourself after probie school is over.

Forum Member

Good morning fellas! I know one of you may have answered this question already but does anyone know in what time one must run the first mile and a half run? I believe this first particular run time was expected to be ran in under 13 minutes but I'd like to be clear. Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by King_Williams_II View Post
    Good morning fellas! I know one of you may have answered this question already but does anyone know in what time one must run the first mile and a half run? I believe this first particular run time was expected to be ran in under 13 minutes but I'd like to be clear. Thanks!
    Under 13 mins

Forum Member

Under 13 mins
    but is it under 12 for no remedial?? or does that not matter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DC33017 View Post
    but is it under 12 for no remedial?? or does that not matter?
    As far as I know, it's under 13 and passing all other BARE MINIMUMS on the initial physical fitness test will keep you out of remedial. By the end of the academy, you have to run the same 1.5 miles in less than 12 minutes.

I don't know you so I'm not going to assume anything, but I think the majority of the guys in the candidate pool and those OTJ will tell you, you do not want to be the guy scraping by with the minimums.

Remedial is not the kiss of the death, it means the FDNY has given you opportunity to better yourself and to become a more physically fit probie.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not this class will get beyond 388 on the OC? My thoughts are starting to look grim.
    FDNY Exam: 2000
    Score: 101
    List number: 16xx

Thread Information