Like Tree11270Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

1:3 ratio is 1 out of 3 people, not 1 out of 4 people like you said. I am a math major and i know a little about it
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

u gonna confuse people!

lol delete that post u troll haha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    Same here man.. It would be the longest 7 months of my life...

The way I see it, they need to hire 64 more PH's to abide by the hiring quota.
    Then another 70 recycles? (not sure if that's accurate or too generous)
    Which is about 134 people. Let's round it to 150 to make it easy and account for if I'm undercutting.

They still need another 170 candidates from the OC list to fill the class. They've called from 102-388 (we believe). If the ratio they get is 1:3, that's 95 candidates they'll get leaving them still 75 people short of a full class... Unless I'm missing something or underestimating recycles I feel like they'll NEED to go deeper into the OC list..

And I apologize for the speculation, I know alot of guys OTJ say "just be patient..." but this helps me sleep at night, lol.
    How did you come up with them only needing to hire 64 more PH's to comply with the court order?

Forum Member

Coldblood92

If you are not competent in something do not post it on the forum, its embarrassment not to know a 5 grade math. Open google and google it please. And you tell that you played Poker for money, lmao, bro you are pathetic!!!
    coldblood92 and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    Im only saying this because it keeps coming up and its going to throw off everyone's numbers..When the department says 3:1 ratio they mean a ratio!....Starting to feel like an ******* tho so sry...

A 1:3 ratio is 1 out of 4 people not 1 out of 3(again sry i played poker for a living for a year and always thought in ratios)

102-388 gives you 72 and leaves you with 95 people short according to your guesses.

HOPE WE ALL GET IN THIS **** DRIVING ME CRAZY TOO
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio

1:3 = 1 person hired for ever 3 people on the list.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin12345 View Post
    How did you come up with them only needing to hire 64 more PH's to comply with the court order?
    It was a number thrown around a while ago. I believe the 64 comes from the remaining latino PH's the FDNY is required to hire to abide by the hiring ratio implemented during this whole Priority hire situation. I've always just said it because everyone else did, hah.

And I'm glad the ratio thing was sorted out. I was quite confident in my 5th grade math but was too lazy to confirm it lol.

Forum Member

Deleted Post
    Last edited by test2000; 05-19-2014 at 03:39 PM.
    coldblood92 and John246 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    You're joking, right? How would a 1:3 ratio be equivalent to 1 out of 4 people?
    When's the next poker game? Thinking I'd like a seat at that table.
    I think I know why his poker career came to an end lol.
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

lol maybe im stupid .... but poker is how i will subsidized my income

As i know it, a ratio represents 1. Am i wrong yet?

Im not sure how wiki help to confirm that I was wrong...
    But on another note if you do google ratios you get a very helpful website http://www.webmath.com/k8ratio.html type in 1:3 in that top line then click "do it" and read. There are also helpful images by clicking the images tap at the top of the google search. Which i would use if i was teaching 5th grade...

If i couldnt properly figure out ratios id probably be a losing player or not win as much...

I leave you will this...And now im being a d.ck. When i went to college and was getting my degree in phys ed. There were many people in the program that werent good athletes that were still in the program and graduated. Just like im sure there are people in math programs that arent very good at math.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    It was a number thrown around a while ago. I believe the 64 comes from the remaining latino PH's the FDNY is required to hire to abide by the hiring ratio implemented during this whole Priority hire situation. I've always just said it because everyone else did, hah.

And I'm glad the ratio thing was sorted out. I was quite confident in my 5th grade math but was too lazy to confirm it lol.
    Hmmm never heard that number get thrown around. I hope your right. That would mean that 229 people in the last class were PH's (293-64=229), as that was the first class any of them were placed in. Does anybody know the makeup of (# of EMS/PH/OC) of the last class? I also hate to say it, but I believe that no one has figured out whether the court order meant that 293 PH's had to be admitted into the academy or if 293 PH's had to graduate the academy and become firefighters. If its the latter that would mean that all of the PH's that fail the academy do not count against the court ordered 293.

Forum Member

Anybody else here reading the probie manual so far? I don't want to sound like a moron, but I guess after reading the above 1:3 really equals 1 out of 4 mistake, maybe this wont seem as dumb (lol sorry coldblood92) but does anybody notice this material isn't very detailed?

I've read the 1st 3 chapters so far.
    coldblood92 likes this.

Forum Member

Wow... i didnt read the posts that came after...

Ratios are NOT fractions there is a reason why they have two different names like why green and the number 7 are called different things/ have different names. They represent different things.

And for anyone that would like to play Im always open for heads up holdem or PLO i prefer PLO because its more fun and the minimum is 1/2 with 100BB. PLZ contact me

Forum Member

Hmmm never heard that number get thrown around. I hope your right. That would mean that 229 people in the last class were PH's (293-64=229), as that was the first class any of them were placed in. Does anybody know the makeup of (# of EMS/PH/OC) of the last class? I also hate to say it, but I believe that no one has figured out whether the court order meant that 293 PH's had to be admitted into the academy or if 293 PH's had to graduate the academy and become firefighters. If its the latter that would mean that all of the PH's that fail the academy do not count against the court ordered 293.
    I would HOPE that 293 just means admitted into the academy, because basically the court is saying the FDNY has to HIRE X amount of candidates. X amount of Candidates entering the academy means just that, that X amount of candidates were hired. What happens there after in terms of failing academy is almost the same as those candidates getting hired and then getting fired.

But that's just my opinion I don't know how this part works.

Forum Member

Wow... i didnt read the posts that came after...

Ratios are NOT fractions there is a reason why they have two different names like why green and the number 7 are called different things/ have different names. They represent different things.

And for anyone that would like to play Im always open for heads up holdem or PLO i prefer PLO because its more fun and the minimum is 1/2 with 100BB. PLZ contact me
    Ok, in cold blood defense, he can actually be right or wrong depending on how you look at it.

1:3 - if you look at that ratio as 1 hired candidate to 3 candidates not hired, then coldblood is right, that's 1 out of 4 candidates are hired. If you look at that ratio as 1 candidate hired to 3 total candidates, then that's 1 out of 3. so in coldblood92's defense, he's not F'ing up 5th grade math here, or coming off as a moron, it just depends on how you look at that 1:3 ratio, and if your thinking of it in terms of a fraction/probability expression or a 1 hired to 3 unhired expression.

I see 1:3 and think 1 out of 3 candidates, not 1 hired candidate to 3 unhired candidates, which is how coldblood92 saw it, which is still correct when expressed that way.

But never the less, this is a stupid thing to be debating lol. Lets get back on topic.
    Last edited by John246; 01-06-2014 at 01:02 AM.

Forum Member

Coldblood92 is correct in saying that a ratio of 1:3 means there is a total of four things. Ratios compare the totals of two different things. Take a ratio of boys to girls in a class for example. If there are 7 boys and 9 girls in a class the ratio of boys to girls is 7:9. Thus the total number of students is 16. That being said when the FDNY talks about ratios I don't think that they are using the term ratio correctly. I do believe that 1:3 means that for every person hired they anticipate having to go through three list numbers.

Forum Member

listen the only reason i said anything was to help with us guess numbers...

Everyone on the forum always used the word ratio and i assumed someone down at headquarters that threw the word around was smart enough to use it in the right context.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    I would HOPE that 293 just means admitted into the academy, because basically the court is saying the FDNY has to HIRE X amount of candidates. X amount of Candidates entering the academy means just that, that X amount of candidates were hired. What happens there after in terms of failing academy is almost the same as those candidates getting hired and then getting fired.

Logic would say that you're correct, but unfortunately logic seems to be something that a particular federal judge was lacking when he made his ruling. While I assume you are correct and most people in the FDNY I have spoken with assume this as well, its all going to depend on how the new court appointed monitor interprets the language, or judge/court that is currently residing over the case.

Forum Member

Logic would say that you're correct, but unfortunately logic seems to be something that a particular federal judge was lacking when he made his ruling. While I assume you are correct and most people in the FDNY I have spoken with assume this as well, its all going to depend on how the new court appointed monitor interprets the language, or judge/court that is currently residing over the case.
    I do think however that the FDNY is trying to accommodate the PH's and increase diversification so that they don't face any more controversies, so perhaps that's why they are allowing a lot of PH's to recycle?

I don't know anymore lol Im just hoping that my number gets called in 2014.. I can't forecast anymore or don't even know how to forecast or predict because its so unpredictable. I just hope another wave of run letters go out, so that my number will be reached in 2014.

Forum Member

listen the only reason i said anything was to help with us guess numbers...

Everyone on the forum always used the word ratio and i assumed someone down at headquarters that threw the word around was smart enough to use it in the right context.

This is f u cking awesome !!! My chances of getting hired just got bigger !!!!!

Forum Member

What's up boys
    I'm worried about ice tomorrow on the run. I hope there isn't any. Anyone want to carpool/need a lift tomorrow? I'm in bay ridge Brooklyn

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post

293 had to be hired. They are not guaranteed to keep the job. The judge ruled that they have to meet all requirements such as passing academy. The ones who resigned will recycle. If they resign again the word is that they're done. I'm sure the job will bend over backwards to help them, but they do have to pass.

Forum Member

Hey Gents,
    I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a question I had.

I was originally scheduled to take my psych test in the middle of Nov 2013, but I had to reschedule due to an emergency. I've been calling CID every week to see about a new test date, but each time I call, they say they have no tests being scheduled currently. I was wondering if anyone else is waiting on their test date.

Test 2000
    List : 10xx
    Score: 102
    Cpat Passed 11/7

Thank you in advance!

Forum Member

*FF RUN ALERT*

The Firefighter Run originally scheduled for January 7, 2014, has been re-scheduled for January 9, 2014, due to the forecasted sub-zero freezing weather conditions.

Candidates scheduled for the January 7, 2014 run, should report to the Fire Academy on January 9, 2014 at 0700 hours.

All information contained in your original Run scheduling letter remains the same. Contact CID at (718) 999-2169/2179 should you have any questions.

Forum Member

Yea I got the run alert reschedule also jan 9th now

Forum Member

To everyone at work scheduled for the run tomorrow it's been changed to Thursday the 9th because of weather. Just got an email from CID
    Last edited by Sammy Bones; 01-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Thread Information