Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 1019 FirstFirst ... 4567891017571075071007 ... LastLast
Like Tree7738Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 76Truck View Post
    CFR-D REQUIRED, since im already certified as an EMT in the State of Texas I'm guessing it doesn't matter. I would still need to get the CFR-D right ?
    Look into getting EMT reciprocity anyway, but wait until you take the test and see where you're at. I think it lasts 3 years, so if you're not hired in that time, it'll expire. Anyway, it'll save you the ridiculous fee for CFR-D, which they deduct from your pay. You'll still sit through the class and act at that level, just won't have to pay for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 53fireman View Post
    Look into getting EMT reciprocity anyway, but wait until you take the test and see where you're at. I think it lasts 3 years, so if you're not hired in that time, it'll expire. Anyway, it'll save you the ridiculous fee for CFR-D, which they deduct from your pay. You'll still sit through the class and act at that level, just won't have to pay for it.
    New York State doesn't offer reciprocity

Quote Originally Posted by WhereDidBatmanGo View Post
    First post and you're wrong. Batting 1.000 already.
    http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh...eciprocity.htm

My suggestion is if your current EMT is due to expire soon and don't need it right away, wait to do the reciprocity. Or else it will be granted only until when your current one expires. Then you'll have to take a refresher course to keep it current with NYS.

Forum Member

I was poking around the Red Cross website looking for info on CFR-D courses but didn't see anything. Is there some where else I should be looking?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I was poking around the Red Cross website looking for info on CFR-D courses but didn't see anything. Is there some where else I should be looking?
    Red cross doesnt give it. Go to the NYS DOH website. It should have a list of where all the CFR and EMT courses are being held. Also, no matter what level of EMT you are at you will have to get certified as a NYS CFR anyway. Im a paramedic and will have to get my CFR.
    FDNY Exam 6019 List# 14XX.
    Lawsuit Victim: Completed process, cancelled academy.

FDNY Exam 2000 List# 6XX.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl75 View Post
    Red cross doesnt give it. Go to the NYS DOH website. It should have a list of where all the CFR and EMT courses are being held. Also, no matter what level of EMT you are at you will have to get certified as a NYS CFR anyway. Im a paramedic and will have to get my CFR.
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to check out the NYS site. As of now I don't have any certs but it's worth looking in to seeing whether it's a lot cheaper to get the CFR-D on your own time vs paying for it in probie school.

Forum Member

So it looks like with as many people as are applying, the 5 extra points you get for residency in New York are going to be pretty tough to overcome for out of towners?
    Last edited by Dirty Axe; 08-01-2011 at 08:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    So it looks like with as many people as are applying, the 5 extra points you get for residency in New York are going to be pretty tough to overcome for out of towners?
    Dirty Axe I'm in the same boat- I moved to the city 6 months ago, figuring that would be more than enough time. Needless to say it wasn't...

All we can hope for is that this will lower the amount of people who lie about their residency and level the playing playing field for the people who don't want to cheat the system.

Remember, not everyone with the extra 5 points will score a 105 on the test- just make sure you shoot for 100 and nothing less.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    this exam will be no different than the past exams regarding how well you need to score. Shoot for 100 & still expect to not be in the first class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    Remember, not everyone with the extra 5 points will score a 105 on the test- just make sure you shoot for 100 and nothing less.
    I always forget this. Thanks for reminding me. It was a blow to my confidence knowing I couldnt get the points but we have to keep our heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisIsMyName View Post
    thats funny because I just sent off my paper work.

It was fairly easy.
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

Who even knows what this next exam will look like. Prior exams had well over 100 Q's, so you could miss a couple here and there. Not to say that the material will be more challenging on this exam but the margin for error decreases if there aren't as many Q's.

Forum Member

Who even knows what this next exam will look like. Prior exams had well over 100 Q's, so you could miss a couple here and there. Not to say that the material will be more challenging on this exam but the margin for error decreases if there aren't as many Q's.
    25 points for spelling your name correctly, 25 points for identifying your left and right, 25 points for knowing the color of fire, and 25 points for knowing how to dress yourself......EXTRA CREDIT is being able to describe what a ladder is for!

Forum Member

Does anyone know if there are any restriction regarding vision? I wear contacts and i heard a couple of people talking about getting eye surgery.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkballer04 View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any restriction regarding vision? I wear contacts and i heard a couple of people talking about getting eye surgery.
    youll have to get lasik. FDNY doesnt allow glasses or contacts.

Forum Member

youll have to get lasik. FDNY doesnt allow glasses or contacts.
    Thanks for the help. Guess i better start looking that up then.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    25 points for spelling your name correctly, 25 points for identifying your left and right, 25 points for knowing the color of fire, and 25 points for knowing how to dress yourself......EXTRA CREDIT is being able to describe what a ladder is for!
    I can go to the bathroom by myself and I wouldnt need help from the chief, I deserve some points for that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkballer04 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Guess i better start looking that up then.
    Look in the beginning of the 6019 thread, lots of people talking about lasik, if I remember correctly and how much.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 08-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.

erc
    Forum Member

So what books is everyone using to study from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by erc View Post
    So what books is everyone using to study from?
    I had been studying the ARCO books and the prep books provided by the FDNY.

But we really have no idea what is going to be on this test now. We will just have to wait and see. I have heard that the job will provide test materials and classes when the time comes.

Thread Information