Like Tree9870Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

Just took the test, I don't like it wtf. How are they gonna grade this? You know what don't answer that. But I can't wait until this testing period is over so that we can discuss this. Now I also will say that I'm in the post test anxiety. Good luck all you guys we will all need it.

Forum Member

My friend took the test today, basically said the same we have been saying about it. He described it as the type of test you don't really study for. He said halfway through the personality section he got fed up with type of questions they were asking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    My friend took the test today, basically said the same we have been saying about it. He described it as the type of test you don't really study for. He said halfway through the personality section he got fed up with type of questions they were asking.
    For some reason those Q's didn't bother me at all. But a different section got to me just a little bit. I can see that people can really trip up on these sections because of certain reasons. Its fair to say that I don't think everyone will get 100 plus points unless they have all the extra points combined. If you do score 100 then you will get 5 points because it's 5 percent that gets added on. Anything less that 100 won't get the exact 5 points. Remember it's only 5 percent of the highest grade achieved.

Forum Member

"Points equivalent to five percent of the maximum possible final exam score will be added to the final exam score of those candidates who qualify for the New York City Residency Credit."

It's not 5 percent of your score, or of the highest score that anyone got. It's 5 percent of the maximum highest score you can technically get. So I guess theoretically, depending on how this will be graded, more than 5 points are possible. That's the way I read it at least.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    "Points equivalent to five percent of the maximum possible final exam score will be added to the final exam score of those candidates who qualify for the New York City Residency Credit."

It's not 5 percent of your score, or of the highest score that anyone got. It's 5 percent of the maximum highest score you can technically get. So I guess theoretically, depending on how this will be graded, more than 5 points are possible. That's the way I read it at least.
    Ok maybe your right, I must of misunderstood. I guess to much reading comp for the day. But my opinion is that this exam will be graded on a double score Like 100/100. I believe that anything from the vids to comp Q's will be graded on one side and the personality Q's will be graded on another side separate from the rest of the exam. Maybe this will avoid a whole bunch of tiebreakers. But of course this is just my opinion And way of thinking.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    I got the call for the review session. They are recording all the calls and asking a bunch of Q's to cover their ***. Seems like the city is doing as much as they can to keep themselves covered for the eventual review of the process. The woman said Lt's and Capt's run the classes, if that's so the city must be paying through the roof in OT for just these classes.

Had my review yesterday. It was given by 1 LT and 4 FF. The class was supposed to start at 5 but it started at 6. The LT didnt say a word. He sat off to the side. The FF's read the tutorial word for word. They seemed like they didnt want to be there but to their credit, their uniforms were extremely neat. Maybe they each had a long day...

Forum Member

You guys are really making me worry about this exam. All i can really do is repeatedly go thru the tutorial...

Forum Member

Don't get nervous. Anxiety will kill you. Just be easy and trust that you've studied enough. Don't get so bogged down with the idea of the test that you miss really easy points. You got this

Forum Member

every time you need a stress relief, punch in "FDNY" in a twitter search and see what other people are saying about the exam. There's usually at least 10 tweets that give me a good laugh, every time.

Forum Member

Default phone call

I recently received a phone call asking me why I missed the exam. I explained that I chose not to pursue this opportunity and my reasons for it. The rep just tried to convince me to take the exam. It was all recorded. Very odd.

Forum Member

Haha Lord knows I (W/M) would not receive such treatment if I withdrew.

Must feel nice to be a commodity Goodluck in your future endeavors, HopefulFFgal
    Last edited by FDNYPD; 04-07-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYPD View Post

Must feel nice to be a commodity Goodluck in your future endeavors, HopefulFFgal
    I THOUGHT YOU CLAIMED TO BE BLACK? ANYHOW

YESTERDAY THE SECOND CIRCUIT COURT OF APPEALS SEEMED TO THINK JUDGE GARAUFIS OVER STEPPED HIS BOUNDS IN ANOTHER CONTROVERSIAL CASE AND OVERTURNED HIS RULING.

Court order to find homes for mentally ill adults tossed out by appeals judges

The state won’t have to comply with a court order to find apartments and small group homes for thousands of mentally ill adults being “warehoused” in large adult homes in the city.
    Brooklyn Federal Court Judge Nicholas Garaufis demanded the drastic remedy in a case brought nine years ago by a group called Disability Advocates.

But in decision issued Friday, the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals threw the entire case out, declaring that the group lacked constitutional standing to sue.

Only briefly in its 20-page ruling did the appellate panel address Garaufis’ proposed fix, saying it had concerns with its scope.

“If this controversy continues, and if the renewed litigation reaches the remedial phase, the parties and the District Court will have another opportunity to consider an appropriate remedy,” wrote Judge Jose Cabranas.

Disability Advocates sought relief on behalf of 4,300 mentally disabled adult home residents who live in New York City under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

It was joined at one point by the federal government, which had standing to sue.

But Cabranas said the feds intervened too late to fix the problem.

“We’re disappointed,” said Disability Advocates executive director Carl Zucker, adding he might refile using a class-action lawsuit.

“We are going to continue to advocate for justice for adult home residents,” he said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    I THOUGHT YOU CLAIMED TO BE BLACK?
    Didn't say that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMEFIRE600 View Post
    I THOUGHT YOU CLAIMED TO BE BLACK? ANYHOW
    Didn't say that.

I thought that too, but you're right you didn't. I just checked back in the 6019 thread. It seemed like you might have been for a good while. But then you clarified that you weren't. About half way down the page http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...t=#post1286042

But the question still remains as to why you would post something that reads like this after the things you said in the other thread? They completely contradict each other:

Forum Member

I was using devil's advocate to try and get the opinion of other members. Being the newbie on a forum, you're often told to "Read and search." I wanted fresh opinions, not realizing the wounds in which I poured salt. Bad idea. After more investigation, I learned that minorites were screwed out of a job because lazy minorites got the test thrown out. Sweet Jesus what an injustice.

Either way, I'm the majority who has to fight harder in this day and age.

Forum Member

After the protest period is over, the Test Validation Board (TVB) reviews all protests. The TVB is empowered by Section 50-A of the New York State Civil Service Law, to change key answers, allow duplicate or multiple answers, or delete items from the test. After all protests are reviewed, the TVB prepares a report detailing its findings. After the eligible list has been established, all candidates who submitted protests will be called in to read the TVB Reports. The determinations made by the TVB are binding. Therefore, no further changes will be entertained.

Forum Member

great to see another one of this judges rulings was over turned. Maybe the appeals court will see a pattern developing with this judge.

Forum Member

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$CVS50-A $ $@TXCVS050-A+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=BROWSER+&TOKEN=14910452+&TARG ET=VIEW

Backspace where it saids A $ $ its not letting me put it all together for some reason.
    Last edited by Skavenger85; 04-07-2012 at 04:01 PM.

Forum Member

Default easy test

I found that the test was very easy. Then again i have taken many test like this in the past. The test are much harder when you apply to a fire rescue dept. You have to take a fire and medical written exam and a medical practical. Talk about a hard test. FDNY should offer extra points to applicants that have experience on the field like myself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lfrang View Post
    I found that the test was very easy. Then again i have taken many test like this in the past. The test are much harder when you apply to a fire rescue dept. You have to take a fire and medical written exam and a medical practical. Talk about a hard test. FDNY should offer extra points to applicants that have experience on the field like myself.
    The application process is supposed to be equal for everyone, no one gets any points extra because they have experience...

There is no doubt that there are guys out there that come from a fire department background so if those guys make it in and are working with others with no experience, I'm sure they'd be willing to help out there fellow brothers and bring them up a level, not separate for there own gain...

Forum Member

I understand where your coming from. Its very different over here in florida. Majority of fire dept. Require you to put yourself through school. (fire academy, EMT, and medic School) once your certified in everything then they will accept your application and start you up with the process.

For instance city of miami lets anyone apply. They put through one civilian class, which is just the average person with no certs. And a certified class, which is your normal firefighter/medic. But for every cert you have you recieve more points. Im guessing it separates those who want bad enough that they will pay there own way. and its benficial to the dept. it saves them money. It accomidates both ends.

Forum Member

I understand where your coming from. Its very different over here in florida. Majority of fire dept. Require you to put yourself through school. (fire academy, EMT, and medic School) once your certified in everything then they will accept your application and start you up with the process.

For instance city of miami lets anyone apply. They put through one civilian class, which is just the average person with no certs. And a certified class, which is your normal firefighter/medic. But for every cert you have you recieve more points. Im guessing it separates those who want bad enough that they will pay there own way. and its benficial to the dept. it saves them money. It accomidates both ends.
    Understood

Forum Member

After lurking here for a couple months I can now post! Lfrang, do those bigger cities in florida still make you go through their fire academy? I know for the bigger cites around me, they prefer you do things "their" way and believe that the departamental training will always trump from what ever you have learned in some community college or where ever you may have got your previous certifications so they dont require certifications since they will teach you anyway. At least that's from what my instructors at my community college told me.

Forum Member

Why? Whatever experience you have the FDNY is sure to do things different. So you know how to put in an IV and how to advance a line. You don't do things the way they want you to according to FDNY protocols so you have to go through the same training as everyone else, you'll just have a leg up for most of training. If anything FDNY might prefer a candidate knows nothing so they can mold them into what the department wants not what the State of Florida and Largo Fire Dept. wanted you to be. They don't want a bunch of guys giving the old "Well in my old department we did it this way and it worked just fine..." No one at the Rock cares how its done anywhere else.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr. ohio state View Post
    After lurking here for a couple months I can now post! Lfrang, do those bigger cities in florida still make you go through their fire academy? I know for the bigger cites around me, they prefer you do things "their" way and believe that the departamental training will always trump from what ever you have learned in some community college or where ever you may have got your previous certifications so they dont require certifications since they will teach you anyway. At least that's from what my instructors at my community college told me.
    I believe in Florida the only cities with their own academy are Orlando and Miami, but there could be 1 or 2 more.

Thread Information