Like Tree11242Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    That run schedule was 6 days a week...Alternating an easy day with interval day. I would do stairs 3 days week(on interval days).

Currently i run distance 5 days a week do insanity 3 days a week and stairs just once a week for maintenance.

In a few weeks i will be doing intervals on my own 3 days a week. Be running with a high school track team my dad is the asst coach at twice a week. Still doing insanity 3 times a week and stairs once a week.

P.S. Once you can complete the last workout i posted if youd like pm me and ill give you more workouts.
    Damn you're a beast lol. So there are days where you workout 3x? 6 days of running. On interval days 3x a week you'd do your interval run, plus the stairs, and the Insanity as well? That's wild. Good for you. I'm gonna follow the run schedule with the stairs 3x a week. For the weight side of things I'm gonna be doing the Myerjack circuit 3x a week plus calisthenics on non circuit days. I've done the insanity and other programs like it and although they do absolutely work, I really had enough of at home DVDs for awhile.

Thanks again for the info and offer. Just may take you up on that.

Forum Member

Looking for some advice I'm gunna be getting called for the next run and I got hurt running my doctor says i should stay off my leg for six weeks but I was thinking about sticking it out and trying the academy ? I don't wanna go in and get hurt more but I also don't wanna miss it any help I would appreciate it thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CHAMP24 View Post
    Looking for some advice I'm gunna be getting called for the next run and I got hurt running my doctor says i should stay off my leg for six weeks but I was thinking about sticking it out and trying the academy ? I don't wanna go in and get hurt more but I also don't wanna miss it any help I would appreciate it thanks.
    Depends on the severity of the injury. If the doctor is telling you 6 weeks it's probably somewhat significant. It's always best to err on the side of caution when dealing with injuries. The academy is physically grueling, and your body will be put under an extreme amount of stress. You'll develop other injuries due to your body compensating for the injury that you have already. It's your decision, but it wouldn't be prudent to simply push through the injury. It'll only get worse.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    Depends on the severity of the injury. If the doctor is telling you 6 weeks it's probably somewhat significant. It's always best to err on the side of caution when dealing with injuries. The academy is physically grueling, and your body will be put under an extreme amount of stress. You'll develop other injuries due to your body compensating for the injury that you have already. It's your decision, but it wouldn't be prudent to simply push through the injury. It'll only get worse.
    Yea man real hard decision I think I'm gunna have to defer do you or anyone know anything about deferring for and injury ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Damn you're a beast lol. So there are days where you workout 3x? 6 days of running. On interval days 3x a week you'd do your interval run, plus the stairs, and the Insanity as well? That's wild. Good for you. I'm gonna follow the run schedule with the stairs 3x a week. For the weight side of things I'm gonna be doing the Myerjack circuit 3x a week plus calisthenics on non circuit days. I've done the insanity and other programs like it and although they do absolutely work, I really had enough of at home DVDs for awhile.

Thanks again for the info and offer. Just may take you up on that.
    Well my goal is to stress myself in a similar way as the academy will...maybe/hopefully even harder...

For lifting i just found a website that i love. everyone should check it out. www.madbarz.com i do the medium routines. I have to modify most of them; I can complete some of them.(Id love to meet anyone that could do even one hard routine; my future self hopefully)

Here is exactly how my workout schedule looks now
    SUNDAY: Run/Lift/core/insanity
    MONDAY: Run/Handstand push-up drop sets/Lift/Legs
    TUESDAY: Run/core/insanity
    WEDNESDAY: R E S T
    THURSDAY: Run/Lift/core/insanity
    FRIDAY: Run/Weighted Vest/Handstand push-up drop sets/Lift/Legs
    SATURDAY: R E S T

Core consists of leg raises to the bar/ dragon flies/ bent arm back lever/ hyper extension/ planks
    Last edited by coldblood92; 01-16-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    brian2013 likes this.

Forum Member

For all you guys that train in the gym like bodybuilders and then wonder why you tired as all hell when it comes to doing real things... First off i think bodybuilders look like ****...

Secondly check out... (google each)

decathlete physique (hands down most athletic people in the world)
    frank medrano (my ideal, he is truly amazing)
    hannibal for king
    bar brothers

and maybe rethink the way you train at the gym

Forum Member

For all you guys that train in the gym like bodybuilders and then wonder why you tired as all hell when it comes to doing real things... First off i think bodybuilders look like ****...

hannibal for king
    bar brothers

I'm assuming you're a fan of the show, "American Ninja Warrior?"
    DedicatedAmbition likes this.

Forum Member

Yea man real hard decision I think I'm gunna have to defer do you or anyone know anything about deferring for and injury ?
    That sucks man how bad is the injury exactly? Call cid and get some numbers to find out how to defer

Forum Member

hannibal for king
    bar brothers

The truth is that although being bulky and liftting a lot of weight is a great thing, it takes much more to make it through the academy. I had a friend who made fun of me being I'm a smaller guy. He always said how I wouldn't make it through the academy and that his friend was a huge guy who could bench press 400 lbs. Turns out that kid scoresd a 102 thanks to his military and residency points, whereas I scored a 102 with only residency. We took the cpat at approximately the same time and I scored 2 minutes faster than this guy. I haven't heard one joke since. It's not all about muscle. You need cardio and endurance , as well as brains to keep up with the academics. From what I hear, cardio is the biggest thing and if you don't have good cardio you will struggle a bit more than others. That is why it is important to cater the workouts accordingly. Everyone has their strong suits and where one person may lack in one area they can make up for it in another. But it is better to be well rounded in all aspects that the academy will train you for.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I'm assuming you're a fan of the show, "American Ninja Warrior?"
    YES! how do i get on that show lol.

To dedicatedambition...I couldnt agree more.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    That sucks man how bad is the injury exactly? Call cid and get some numbers to find out how to defer
    I pulled my hamstring bad it happen to me once before during baseball years ago but I was able to mange but the fire academy isn't baseball practice and it's feels worse this time. I don't wanna defer till last minute cause I wanna see how it feel before the run. But I don't wanna get there and fail the run or even Tare it.

Forum Member

YES! how do i get on that show lol.

To dedicatedambition...I couldnt agree more.
    Haha I knew it! I watched it for the 1st time the other night. Stuff is nuts.

Forum Member

I wish I had the time to workout like you guys do. I'll still be fine for the academy I just wish I had that time to dedicate.

Forum Member

Chicks dig the biceps haha
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 104
    List: 2XX

Forum Member

hannibal for king
    bar brothers

I like to lift things up and put them downnnn (Arnold voice)
    What's this cardio you speak off??????

On a serious note, I train like a bodybuilder (although I don't look like one, yet lol) and never did cardio a day in my life. I am slowly transitioning from my powerlifting and hypertrophy workouts to a workout plan more catered to the physical demands of the academy.

I cannot run to often yet because my kness, shin splits, and calves take a huge beating and are sore since I am new to running. As my body adjust I will plan to run more often. I was always scared to do high intensity cardio because your body burns muscle for energy when it's pushed to a high intensity but I am taking a sh***t load of calories (high carbs, moderate protein, lower fat) so that I won't lose muscle, hopefully.

Forum Member

I pulled my hamstring bad it happen to me once before during baseball years ago but I was able to mange but the fire academy isn't baseball practice and it's feels worse this time. I don't wanna defer till last minute cause I wanna see how it feel before the run. But I don't wanna get there and fail the run or even Tare it.
    What grade strain did your doctor day? Tough decision but if its a minor grade 1 strain just tough it through the first run to get in (I literally saw a few people walking at some points, yes embarrassing). After the first run ice like crazy. This is an unreal opportunity that people would do anything for, if you can tough through it do it. Only you know how your leg feels.

Forum Member

I am starting to work out and eat right again after I got lazy over the holidays. I am at the 1800 range and just finish the cpat orientation last weekend. Trying to get that motivation and dedication...stay focus guys!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post

high intensity cardio because your body burns muscle for energy when it's pushed to a high intensity .
    This is a myth...You wont loss your gains bro(in my best meat head voice). But seriously as long as you continue your "muscle building" routine and get enough calories each day youll be fine(if your fat and that is adding to some of your size you may look smaller as you lose body fat; also when you do cardio espieaclly HIIT you will look temporally smaller after the workout just like you look temporally bigger after lifiting). It may slow your gains as your body will be "growing" in new places. Im not gonna find the research article for you but I think even the best athletes can only gain like 1lb of muscle per month.(this doesnt include novice)
    Last edited by coldblood92; 01-16-2014 at 06:13 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    What grade strain did your doctor day? Tough decision but if its a minor grade 1 strain just tough it through the first run to get in (I literally saw a few people walking at some points, yes embarrassing). After the first run ice like crazy. This is an unreal opportunity that people would do anything for, if you can tough through it do it. Only you know how your leg feels.
    I actually don't know what grade I'm gunna look at the paper work. That's how I feel that it's to big of and opportunity to defer. I'm gunna try on Sunday to run on it see how I feel thanks for the advice

Forum Member

Hey guys haven't posted in a while. I was just talking to a buddy of mine for EMT school. He just got his letter for his physical his list number is 2754. Get ready guys list is moving quick.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    I like to lift things up and put them downnnn (Arnold voice)
    What's this cardio you speak off??????

On a serious note, I train like a bodybuilder (although I don't look like one, yet lol) and never did cardio a day in my life. I am slowly transitioning from my powerlifting and hypertrophy workouts to a workout plan more catered to the physical demands of the academy.

I cannot run to often yet because my kness, shin splits, and calves take a huge beating and are sore since I am new to running. As my body adjust I will plan to run more often. I was always scared to do high intensity cardio because your body burns muscle for energy when it's pushed to a high intensity but I am taking a sh***t load of calories (high carbs, moderate protein, lower fat) so that I won't lose muscle, hopefully.
    Running is a big part of the academy, I suggest you start getting on it if you are going in the academy soon. Small dumbells is what you will be dealing with during PT, although strength is needed to do evolutions, you don't have to be Mr. Universe. You just need to recover quickly because chances are after a evolution, you can be called to do it again. Think about FST, it's a course full of evolutions, you need to recover quickly. Strength might help bull your way through a part of it, but recovery time is a key element in finishing on air and in time.
    Last edited by FFwnt2b; 01-16-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    Hey guys haven't posted in a while. I was just talking to a buddy of mine for EMT school. He just got his letter for his physical his list number is 2754. Get ready guys list is moving quick.
    That's great news if its true. Do you know what his date is? thank you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FutureFirefighter2000 View Post
    He's either referring to something else or is flat out lying. I'm 263x and I know for fact the next wave hasn't recieved packets yet, let alone a physical date.

Forum Member

Good evening gents,

Looking forward to seeing some of you tomorrow. I'll be the handsome fellow in a black suit, black skinny tie and stupid bald head lol.

Question for guys who went through the academy. Any run past 3 miles I usually get some soreness in my calves. (Are these shin splits? It doesn't hurt my shins, just my calves) Anyway, I was wondering if any of you used any type of muscle relaxation cream or icy hot stuff on week day nights and if there's a particular brand you suggest? Thanks!

Forum Member

OH! And don't forget your money orders!!! $9.00!
    dawk34 likes this.

Thread Information