Like Tree9538Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Yea, It largely depends on your investigator as well.

I'd still try and get that letter and hand it in anyway or go to a bank itself and tell them to see if you could get a notarized letter from them.

You can still submit these things and it's not up to your investigator to decide. They just compile it and send it to the guy who does the official review of your packet and he decides so if all you can get is a few of those letters id still do it.

Forum Member

I am 13** medical on 2-11
    Last edited by DEVIL DOG 81; 02-07-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    NycQ83 likes this.

Forum Member

By my math, including vacation days I have remaining and holidays, I have 92 "work" days left till July 21st academy. This is how I stay sane at my boring job haha.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

The FB and Twitter for JoinFDNY has mentioned the tentative date for the next FDNY exam as 2015 or 2016. What's the minimum amount of time they have to use one list?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score: 101
    List Number: 15xx
    Intake Date: 01/31/14 ALL CLEAR
    CPAT: 03/15/14 ALL CLEAR
    Medical: 03/18/14
    2nd Medical For Stairs: 03/27/14 ALL CLEAR
    Psych: 05/10/14

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    By my math, including vacation days I have remaining and holidays, I have 92 "work" days left till July 21st academy. This is how I stay sane at my boring job haha.
    I think with vacation and sick days I have 99 days left, my math might be off though.
    River6019 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I think with vacation and sick days I have 99 days left, my math might be off though.
    Down to double digits!
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Still too many days !
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 336Brooklyn View Post
    The FB and Twitter for JoinFDNY has mentioned the tentative date for the next FDNY exam as 2015 or 2016. What's the minimum amount of time they have to use one list?
    The current list will be used for 4 years to the DAY that it was certified. The next exam will take place late 2015 or early 2016 because they need it ready for the day that this one expires.

Historically the list is used for it's entire 4 year lifespan.

Forum Member

336brooklyn,

one year, but it is almost always extended 3 years after the first one lapses.

^^^^^what he said

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    The current list will be used for 4 years to the DAY that it was certified. The next exam will take place late 2015 or early 2016 because they need it ready for the day that this one expires.

Historically the list is used for it's entire 4 year lifespan.
    What are chances of them extending the list by maybe a year or two? I would think administering a new test is such a huge financial burden to the city and the list will still have plenty capable/eligible left to pick. Scores 95-100 are so marginal, why not use the list for as long possible??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    What are chances of them extending the list by maybe a year or two? I would think administering a new test is such a huge financial burden to the city and the list will still have plenty capable/eligible left to pick. Scores 95-100 are so marginal, why not use the list for as long possible??
    The city makes money off the tests, not lose money. $25 application fee for 40-60,000 people? Where do I sign up to get that sort of income?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    Yea, It largely depends on your investigator as well.

I'd still try and get that letter and hand it in anyway or go to a bank itself and tell them to see if you could get a notarized letter from them.

You can still submit these things and it's not up to your investigator to decide. They just compile it and send it to the guy who does the official review of your packet and he decides so if all you can get is a few of those letters id still do it.
    Yea I've gotten about 7-8 different things now or on the way to hand in. Everything ranging from notarized letters from a number of different companies all the way up to detailed tax statements from the IRS. Basically the plan is to throw as much sh!$ against the wall and see what sticks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    The city makes money off the tests, not lose money. $25 application fee for 40-60,000 people? Where do I sign up to get that sort of income?
    The cost is still heavily subsidized by the city... It costs well more than $25 per person to administer the test
    FDsouthbxNY likes this.

Forum Member

I think it came out already on the forum that the city doesn't actually make money on the test. They need to rent places out, pay people to monitor them, and then pay to grade them, plus more expenses.

Forum Member

I think you are definitely right. Only makes sense that as the list goes on, ratio will get higher and higher because of people moving on, not in shape, disinterest, etc...

Would think the next class will be all OC or a very few leftover from EMS/PH. Know of a few people who are in the 1,xxx-2,xxx range that claimed residency even though they did not live in the city during the time range. We'll see what happens, but I think it would be tough to pull off even with hooks these days. I would think if/when they get caught, they will either be DQ'ed or dropped down the list based on score.

Which class are you referring to? I am out of the loop.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 02-07-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

The cost is still heavily subsidized by the city... It costs well more than $25 per person to administer the test
    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I think it came out already on the forum that the city doesn't actually make money on the test. They need to rent places out, pay people to monitor them, and then pay to grade them, plus more expenses.
    I've only been reading the past 50 pages or so, so I probably missed that. 1.5 million is alot to spend on administering a test.

Forum Member

I've only been reading the past 50 pages or so, so I probably missed that. 1.5 million is alot to spend on administering a test.

No worries. I know it sounds like a lot. some guy on here broke it down pretty thoroughly though lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEVIL DOG 81 View Post
    I am 13** medical on 2-11
    When was your intake?

Forum Member

This is hugely incorrect. I've broken down the reasons here in the past, but don't have the energy to find the post. In short: Assuming all 60k applicants paid $25 (they didn't, people could waive the fee if they showed some hardship) the city made $1.5M. They spent millions having PSI develop and administer the written exam, the salaries and benefits of everyone at DCAS and FDNY that deal with processing and investigating candidates costs quite a bit, though it'd be hard to put a dollar amount on how much they cost per candidate, and the free CPAT training everyone gets offered comes at the cost of untold amounts of overtime for the fitness personnel.

More importantly the annual budget of the fire department is somewhere in the $1.6-1.7B range and the city's overall budget is ~$70B. Your $25 means nothing to them.

Forum Member

You're looking at the small picture. It wasn't just the written test. The investigation, medical, psych, and CPAT all cost money too. Yeah the candidates that don't get reached don't really get the full value of their $25, but the city spends way more than $1.5M to get to hiring people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    You're looking at the small picture. It wasn't just the written test. The investigation, medical, psych, and CPAT all cost money too. Yeah the candidates that don't get reached don't really get the full value of their $25, but the city spends way more than $1.5M to get to hiring people.

I couldn't remember who it was that broke it down, guess it was you haha good job medic.

Forum Member

How MM and FFwnt2b managed to stay active on this forum during the week is beyond me. It's friday night and I'm ready for beddy-bye time.

It may be early but anyone anticipating a call for July make sure your loved ones/ significant others are on board. It makes a HUGE difference coming home and not having to worry about anything but eating, studying and sleeping. Square away your finances, your personal life, etc. You want as little to worry about as possible because the academy is your one and ONLY priority.

If you want to be really proactive, definitely start reading the probie manual. Any prior knowledge will really put you ahead and make it easier for you to wrap your head around things.

I do and I don't miss checking this everyday haha. Have a good weekend folks.
    Jackooze and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

LOL, I stayed away at times. You get use to the whole routine, but for some they might never get used to it. Glad you survived the first couple of weeks. Keep at it, 18 weeks seems like a long time, but if you stay in it, you will be shaking the mayors hand in no time.

Forum Member

It's only week 2, you'll be a pro at this in 10 weeks.

Forum Member

Every part of my body aches. I have a new appreciation for Fridays.
    NycQ83 and JDNY13 like this.

Thread Information