Like Tree10460Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I just recieved a pre recorded reminder call that my test is Tom from Sal Cassano.
    Strange, the commish didn't call me with a reminder. I wonder why I didn't make it on his list?

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't fortunate either, however i did get an email:

Recruitment E-News - April 2012
    USEFUL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS FOR FIREFIGHTER EXAMS #2000 & #2500

Dear Firefighter Applicant,

I want to wish you good luck and success on the Firefighter Exam. I know that you have been waiting a long time for this opportunity, and I know you'll do your best to make the most of it.

I've been a member of the FDNY for the past 42 years, and I can tell you that there is no better job in the world than being one of New York's Bravest. In order to get the best, you must ace this test. I hope that you have done your best to prepare for the exam. There is still time to review the FDNY Firefighter Information and Tutorial materials. View the materials. Make sure you review some of the tips for successful test-taking.

Again, I wish you the best of luck with the exam. After you finish the exam, you will be one step closer to your dream of becoming a New York City Firefighter.

Sincerely,

Salvatore J. Cassano
    Fire Commissioner

Forum Member

I was called and e-mailed the day before my exam.

Forum Member

Nevermind that it was a recording, I thought it was pretty cool how Cassano called candidates and wished them good luck.

I can't wait until the testing is over so we can dispell some of these stupid rumors. Some are absurd.

Forum Member

"But to get the best you must take the test"

Forum Member

Anyone have a idea of when they will start the physical? Would you guys say it'll be around july/august or later? maybe the people who took the exam before might have better idea of how long it takes. Goodluck to everyone btw
    Last edited by Mo2012; 04-14-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mo2012 View Post
    Anyone have a idea of when they will start the physical? Would you guys say it'll be around july/august or later? maybe the people who took the exam before might have better idea of how long it takes. Goodluck to everyone btw
    No one has any idea, so many different variables involved. For all we know the exam could be thrown out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenger85 View Post
    You must appear in person; you may NOT bring with you or have presented any other person at this test review. You may NOT bring any handwritten notes, recording devices, or electronic devices of any kind. In NO case will you be allowed to remove from our premises any materials relating to the test, or any notes that you may make during the Protest Review Session.
    Yes, this is why I said go home and write down all the details of any questions you protested right when you get home. You need to document everything so you have something to go off of if there's an issue months down the road.

Forum Member

The test is a haze to me already and I just took it. I remember the sections.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mo2012 View Post
    You're given twelve weeks to prepare. So my guess would be three months after the final score and list numbers are arranged that the first thousand or so would take the CPAT.

Forum Member

I know that I'm thinking way a head, but I'm curious on how they pick you for a station and discipline (engine, truck, rescue) once you're hired?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 6019eligible View Post
    You're given twelve weeks to prepare. So my guess would be three months after the final score and list numbers are arranged that the first thousand or so would take the CPAT.

is that a rule they have? 12 weeks to prepare?

Forum Member

"This is what you have prepared for."

Forum Member

it's about a yr after exam before u are even called down to hand in paperwork for investigator and thats before CPAT

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PHHC08 View Post
    I know that I'm thinking way a head, but I'm curious on how they pick you for a station and discipline (engine, truck, rescue) once you're hired?
    Correct me if I'm wrong Bam...

From what I understand right out of the academy you go into an engine or a truck, probably based on your strengths in the academy. No doubt the instructors recommend what they think on your performance. But you also get to pick what companies you'd like to go too near the end of the academy...

Squads can't even be applied to unless you have like two years on and I believe rescues are 5. Thats probably even being generous. You need to come from busy companies and have some kind of trade experience...

Forum Member

what are the odds of even getting in? i dont have residency credit or any extra points. say i get 100, is there even a shot at me getting a job. and say i do have a chance with a score of 100, when and how long after the list is made would i be called? ive put off a lot of stuff this past year waiting to take this test and now its not even approved. looks like im just going to join the military in the mean time. also say i join military reserves and get called by fdny. how does that work? will they hold a spot or what?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSnewyork View Post
    what are the odds of even getting in? i dont have residency credit or any extra points. say i get 100, is there even a shot at me getting a job. and say i do have a chance with a score of 100, when and how long after the list is made would i be called? ive put off a lot of stuff this past year waiting to take this test and now its not even approved. looks like im just going to join the military in the mean time. also say i join military reserves and get called by fdny. how does that work? will they hold a spot or what?
    A few things to consider here..a few people will score perfect 100s without any points...since I think most of scoring is going to come from the personality test you either have it or you do not. I've taken 2 personality tests before..I scored fairly well on 1, not so well on the other. The types of questions and how you feel about them is what it boils down to.

I think that a 95 or so will be the cut off for hiring on this list if everything goes through. Just because you may have a 95..there could be 1000 people ahead of you who either a) don't show up for the CPAT or b) fail the CPAT.

The best thing to do is just forget you took the test. Come on here once and a while to check the progress but go about your life. Keep your job/find a job whatever, work out, do your thing and if they call you they call you. Don't dwell on it.

and as far as the reserves thing goes I believe they will hold a spot for you due to military duty. I could be wrong. Best bet is to call DCAS and hear it from the horses mouth.

Stay positive.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    A few things to consider here..a few people will score perfect 100s without any points...since I think most of scoring is going to come from the personality test you either have it or you do not. I've taken 2 personality tests before..I scored fairly well on 1, not so well on the other. The types of questions and how you feel about them is what it boils down to.

I think that a 95 or so will be the cut off for hiring on this list if everything goes through. Just because you may have a 95..there could be 1000 people ahead of you who either a) don't show up for the CPAT or b) fail the CPAT.

The best thing to do is just forget you took the test. Come on here once and a while to check the progress but go about your life. Keep your job/find a job whatever, work out, do your thing and if they call you they call you. Don't dwell on it.

and as far as the reserves thing goes I believe they will hold a spot for you due to military duty. I could be wrong. Best bet is to call DCAS and hear it from the horses mouth.

Stay positive.
    Bolded for truth. We played the lottery of all fire department processes. Keep up appearances and prepare for the best but, this is anyone's call.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post

Stay positive.
    I have to agree with ya BigGriff

JSnewyork, like he said don't dwell on these numbers, it will drive you insane. I know because I was doing the same thing for a while.

Everyone who has ever earned the coveted title of NY City Fireman has had to endure some hardship and adversity during the process, it's part of the experience. We can look at it in a positive or negative light. Take some time and think about just how lucky we are to live here and have a shot at this job; no matter how small it is. It may sound corny but it is an honor to be on this path. Many great men throughout the history of the FDNY have gone through these same trials and it is up to us to make sure we are up to the challenge should we be one of the fortunate ones to be called, until then All we can do is train, run and Enjoy the Journey.

Forum Member

Dealing with all the politics and bull$hit, only god knows how truly great full i'll be and how we'll all be given the privilege of being on the rock for that first day of the academy whenever that time should be.

Forum Member

So this Friday is the last day of testing ? Or have the rumors of May exam dates been confirmed ? I want to start openly discussing the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    So this Friday is the last day of testing ? Or have the rumors of May exam dates been confirmed ? I want to start openly discussing the test.
    When I called PSI to make my appointment, they said that if there are any tests be given in May its because of Military testing so before we start to openly discuss, we need to confirm...

Forum Member
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!

I suggest everyone not to discuss this until the review process starts which is may 11th. The only reason I'm saying this is that if anyone is taking the test in may it won't be after the review has started. Anywhere from April 20th to may 11th is anyone's guess so lets not take that risk.

On another note, Cableguy I wasn't trying to imply anything by what I posted. I was just making it clear so that people don't get any bright ideas of trying to take notes home. Dcas gave a fair warning when it came to this stuff. But people do try to remember as many questions as possible and go home and write down like Cableguy said.

Forum Member

Remember questions on the test lol. I felt like I went through an emotional ringer during the exam. I had hard enough time remembering where I lived let alone remember examples off the exam lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Remember questions on the test lol. I felt like I went through an emotional ringer during the exam. I had hard enough time remembering where I lived let alone remember examples off the exam lol.
    Yeah I only had a proteins shake before I left home. by the last 90 minutes I felt mentally handicapped because I was running on nothing.

Did any one else notice that they were the last one in the room? people left like 45 minutes earlier than me. I was the last one in my room. A FDNY member who works with me at another job said something funny a few weeks ago, " The first one to leave is the first one to Fail"
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; 04-17-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Thread Information