Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 778 of 1208 FirstFirst ... 278678728768775776777778779780781788828878 ... LastLast
Results 15,541 to 15,560 of 24148
Like Tree9404Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Hey guys, anyone on here ever had hamstring tendinopathy?

I've been following the running schedule on the CPAT orientation guide, and 2 weeks in I have severe discomfort on my hamstrings. Particularly in the lower portion, slightly above behind where the knee bends. I notice the pain more when i squat or bend down to pick things up.

I don't experience pain when I'm running, but i constantly feel warmth. I don't know whether i should stop running for the time being and take the necessary steps to help it heal because it'll suck if I have to start the whole running process again haha.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    Hey guys, anyone on here ever had hamstring tendinopathy?

I've been following the running schedule on the CPAT orientation guide, and 2 weeks in I have severe discomfort on my hamstrings. Particularly in the lower portion, slightly above behind where the knee bends. I notice the pain more when i squat or bend down to pick things

I don't experience pain when I'm running, but i constantly feel warmth. I don't know whether i should stop running for the time being and take the necessary steps to help it heal because it'll suck if I have to start the whole running process again haha.

Anyone dealt with this before?
    It's actually a relatively rare condition. In order for it to be properly diagnosed you'd have to get an MRI. I was not aware of it till I volunteered in the medical tent at Central Park for this past marathon. One of the P.A's whom I was working with who deals primarily with sports related injuries was discussing it. There is a small amount if literature about it on the internet but as with anything you have to be cautious with what you take a fact from "online MD's" - I'd suggest speaking with your physician; core strengthening exercises have been shown to be beneficial. Do speak with someone though. These are not injuries that just magically disappear. Good luck buddy.

Manhattan Medic, I've got a question that I think perhaps you might be able to help me with. Is it alright if I pm you?

Anyone in the mid 15##'s who lives in L.E.S, Williamsburg, Greenpoint areas looking for a running partner? With the cold to freezing weather fast approaching I think running in pairs can be a good motavitor.
    VanCroon and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Default fdny

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    lol what? where did you get this figure from
    Well my friend at top pay made 130k last year as a reg FF.....but you have to take into account the OT due to Sandy and the all the OT due to no hiring between the last class in July 08 to the jan 13 class
    Last edited by FDNY4Life; 11-13-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    It's actually a relatively rare condition. In order for it to be properly diagnosed you'd have to get an MRI. I was not aware of it till I volunteered in the medical tent at Central Park for this past marathon. One of the P.A's whom I was working with who deals primarily with sports related injuries was discussing it. There is a small amount if literature about it on the internet but as with anything you have to be cautious with what you take a fact from "online MD's" - I'd suggest speaking with your physician; core strengthening exercises have been shown to be beneficial. Do speak with someone though. These are not injuries that just magically disappear. Good luck buddy.

Manhattan Medic, I've got a question that I think perhaps you might be able to help me with. Is it alright if I pm you?

Anyone in the mid 15##'s who lives in L.E.S, Williamsburg, Greenpoint areas looking for a running partner? With the cold to freezing weather fast approaching I think running in pairs can be a good motavitor.
    Thanks bud. Yeah, i'm gonna book a date with my doctor and see what's up. I think I'm gonna lay off on the running until i get word. I'm also doing the stairmaster with the weighted vest and this injury didn't appear until after I began running..We'll see.

I'm in the 1800's and I'm glad i caught this early in the game and not when I'm processing haha. I have enough time to heal.

Thanks again.

Forum Member

I'm a little behind you at 21xx, and I'm only swimming now due to some knee problems. But I live in GP and run with another dude in my range. PM me man.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Sure

VanCroon: who gave you that diagnosis? I wouldn't self diagnose running related pains from the internet. See a doctor and let it rest until you find out what it is for sure.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    If you continue to bring up DOC every chance you get when you get hired it's going to give you problems in the academy and problems in your firehouse. It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, the problem is that you're new here and nobody wants to hear about how it's done in the jails.

120k is possible at the moment if you're top pay, and you are in a battalion with a high redline, and you keep yourself redlined. By the time anyone in this thread, myself included, reaches top pay that will not be an option. Breaking 100k might still be doable, but there is not going to be that much overtime to go around once they get back up to a full headcount.

edit: I forgot the PHs are already at top pay. Hah. They still won't be able to grab that much overtime unless they go to a battalion that's really been hurting for personnel.
    When I get hired I could really give a **** about DOC.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John246 View Post
    When I get hired I could really give a **** about DOC.
    Hmm ... Idk ... I think you love doc more than you think ... You should really sit down an analyze this whole process ... Stay in doc and give anyone of us a better chance to get called ;-)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dannypanigale View Post
    Hmm ... Idk ... I think you love doc more than you think ... You should really sit down an analyze this whole process ... Stay in doc and give anyone of us a better chance to get called ;-)
    This is getting tired. John246 posted a slightly silly comment weeks ago and now he can't post without getting torn apart. He clearly wants this job so lets stop being internet bullies.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    This is getting tired. John246 posted a slightly silly comment weeks ago and now he can't post without getting torn apart. He clearly wants this job so lets stop being internet bullies.
    It's getting old, just read past what ever you don't like from someone. I do it all the time, no one is a god on here wether on the job of off the job. It's pathetic that were all here for the same reason but then people are who asking questions rip into another. the same with the aforementioned " forum god" , Instead of trashing someone who is clearly misinformed, how about helping them? I don't post a lot on here for numerous reasons but it seems like its going off topic. Let's be assertive in our goals to be on fdny and who ever can't help give advice should find something better to do with their free time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fftank21 View Post
    I swear if one more person mentions money on here, I'm going make it my mission to find you and weed you out. If you're money hungry, find a different line of work. Everyone has a family, home blah blah blah. Everyone has responsibilities, I get that. Nobody cares though. Fires don't give a dam how much money you make. I'm personally taking a $90,000 pay cut, whoopity do. I'd do this job for nothing if had to.
    Money isn't everything, and this job is a much better choice than other jobs that pay more... but don't act like money is not an issue here and you'd do the job for nothing. Anybody with any job obviously wants to be able to provide for family and have a nice family life... You don't need the job to make you rich by any means, but making sure you can have a decent family life, nothing wrong with that.

And if money wasn't an issue at all here, and you should only be here for the love of the job like every fire fighter, than the fdny job wouldn't pay what it does. they bargained for their pay raise years ago when the job paid considerably less, if money meant nothing, why didn't they just sit back and say "we don't mind getting paid much less while other departments are getting big raises because we love our job so much".
    FDNY4Life likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Sure

VanCroon: who gave you that diagnosis? I wouldn't self diagnose running related pains from the internet. See a doctor and let it rest until you find out what it is for sure.
    Lol. Listen to him. I did the same thing and thought for a while I had a hip fracture. Turns out it was not the case, an actual doctor diagnosed it as a bruised (insert some name of a muscle that is close to the outer hip bone which I can't pronounce nor can I even spell here.) and I felt fine ever since.

Forum Member

does anyone know how is it that they go about the medical appeal process for any one part of the medical?
    Exam: 2000
    Score: 102
    List #: 7XX
    Investigation: 9/26/13
    Medical: 10/10/13
    Psych: 10/11/13
    CPAT: 11/4/13
    1.5 Mile Run: TBA

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenscm View Post
    does anyone know how is it that they go about the medical appeal process for any one part of the medical?
    Sent you a pm

Forum Member

Hey, quick question to anyone whom has already gone through the hiring process or is currently in the middle of it. Actually I'll narrow it down to just any former military guys in those categories. Does anyone have any idea if TBI with PTSD (both diagnosed) will result in a DQ? I'm seeing a therapist and doing yoga, you name it I'm attempting it. But I'm aware that some city and federal jobs will not hire you. I'm going to be honest with them just wondering. Thanks.

Forum Member

Hey guys, can somebody please give me a brief description of the medical. I know its the stepmill, but what exactly does it entail

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni1028 View Post
    Hey guys, can somebody please give me a brief description of the medical. I know its the stepmill, but what exactly does it entail
    I believe an overall physical with blood work, then the stair master to measure heart rate. It's about 3 mins 30 seconds no vest, and if your heart rate stays below your max, you get the vest. Most people fail that, which means you come back and do 8 mins with a vest measuring your general appearance. If you don't look like your dead after the 8 mins you pass. If I'm not on point with this someone please feel free to correct me.

Forum Member

Received a call from my mentor last night and he had some interesting news. Of the 4 mentees he was assigned, 2 have decided to not pursue proby school ( career moves, military, personal issues). He also mentioned that the other mentors he has spoken with had a similar situation occur with their mentees.

He didn't go into exact numbers with remaining EMT ,PH, and recycles but he believes the January class will go into the 400-500 range , at least.

Does anyone know exactly how far down they went on the OC list for this last class? And how many OC went into the academy?
    JDNY13 likes this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 106
    List #: 1XX

OAK
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KnocKnoc View Post
    Received a call from my mentor last night and he had some interesting news. Of the 4 mentees he was assigned, 2 have decided to not pursue proby school ( career moves, military, personal issues). He also mentioned that the other mentors he has spoken with had a similar situation occur with their mentees.

He didn't go into exact numbers with remaining EMT ,PH, and recycles but he believes the January class will go into the 400-500 range , at least.

Does anyone know exactly how far down they went on the OC list for this last class? And how many OC went into the academy?
    Total of 318, 123 priority hires, 175 EMS Promos, and 20 guys off of the OC list. I believe they got up to 11x on the OC list for this past July class.
    infolet333 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brian_patrick View Post
    I believe an overall physical with blood work, then the stair master to measure heart rate. It's about 3 mins 30 seconds no vest, and if your heart rate stays below your max, you get the vest. Most people fail that, which means you come back and do 8 mins with a vest measuring your general appearance. If you don't look like your dead after the 8 mins you pass. If I'm not on point with this someone please feel free to correct me.
    3min without a vest, can't double your resting heart rate. You pass that then you wait 5 min vest up and go back on for 5:12 and heart rate can't go above 90% of your max. If you pass you're good, most people don't and have to go back and redo it. At the re do it's 3min without the vest doesn't matter if you double your resting Heart rate, 5 min rest then back on with a vest, if at 5:12 you're at or below your target heart rate you pass, if not you keep going until 8 min and as long as you make it and don't look like you're about to die the doctor will pass you.
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Thread Information