Like Tree10633Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    I wanted to be close to home at a busy house. There are sights out there that show the runs a year, workers, and all hands. To be honest, I wanted something that was easy to get to, especially when you are a Probie. Hate the thought of being stuck in traffic trying to get to the firehouse early the way a Probie is supposed to be. Also, crossing bridges adds up, you don't get that back when you are on the job.
    so are you in manhatten? cause i live in queens. and i thought of either being in the city or queens. partly cause I want to be able to sell my car after probie school so i can buy an apartment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chadxmerch View Post
    I remember them saying that if you didn't take the CPAT in a certain number of months then you would have to retake it at the end, and I'm pretty sure the next thing they said was something like, "this only applies to one person in here."
    I'm fairly certain we'll all have to re take it considering we took ours back in May. I think the hardest part will be lifting the ladder rung by rung haha.

How exciting is this haz mat stuff? Really gets me going, ya know?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    In the vain of houses, which one is the hardest to get into as a probie? Anyone get to a squad? Valedictorian?
    Probies are only eligible to be assigned to truck or engine companies. Squads are part SOC and that takes years of experience, an impeccable reputation and a little bit of luck. The valedictorian may have an little bit more sway in getting his/her first choice for a house/company but that is limited to engines & trucks.

As for what houses are the hardest to get into, I know when my brother graduated, he put in for assignments in the South Bronx. These companies are all known throughout the job as being tough companies to get into because they get put to work on a very regular basis. He was a Marine vet and a squad leader and ended up getting one of his top picks.

Other companies that are going to be more desirable than others, and this is all relative to what you deem desirable, are companies that catch a lot of jobs. MM stated previously that there are sites that list what companies annual responses are. If you're anything like me and want to put the skills you were taught to use, look for companies that have a higher number of 10-75's, OSW's, etc. The below link will show you a ranked list from 2011 regarding what companies had certain types of runs. If you're familiar with the numbering system for FDNY apparatus, you can estimate where these units are geographically.

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/2011.pdf

Hope this helps.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

"All hands" are the number you are interested in for fires. My thought is concentrate on doing well, not getting hurt, and graduating the academy before thinking about where you are going.

Forum Member

What does OSW mean ?

Forum Member

Danny I was just about to ask that. It stands for 'Occupied Structural Worker'.

So forgive me as I'm an FF 'over the pond' but does this mean a worker as in a working job in a building that's in use (occupied)?

Also, do the EMS runs count as part of the total runs?

Forum Member

This is what I googled

http://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/...ies-runs.shtml

I don't know if it's completely accurate maybe some OTJ can chime in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mtk123 View Post
    I'm fairly certain we'll all have to re take it considering we took ours back in May. I think the hardest part will be lifting the ladder rung by rung haha.

How exciting is this haz mat stuff? Really gets me going, ya know?
    Yeah, if we have to take it, no big deal. I'm probably the only one not entirely bored to death with the hazmat stuff. I had a class at John jay last semester entirely dedicated to hazmat.

Forum Member

That clears it up a bit better. I was trying to compare our runs with FDNY but it's hard as we don't do any EMS whatsoever. Have to get used to the 'alarm' system as well. Anyway sorry to go off topic, just thought I'd clear it up whilst I had the chance. Good luck to all FDNY hopefuls!

Forum Member

Food on stove to a fire counts as OSW. All hands is a working fire.

Forum Member

"All hands" are the number you are interested in for fires. My thought is concentrate on doing well, not getting hurt, and graduating the academy before thinking about where you are going.
    It's a big decision and I dont want to take it lightly or without some real consideration...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    MM and anyone else with knowledge... Its something I've been thinking about; which borough do you work in? Did you want to work in? Why? And what is the differences between them.
    The boroughs are too big to easily sum one up in a single description. Upper Manhattan has more in common with The Bronx than midtown. Eastern Queens probably has more in common with parts of Staten Island than the industrial southwestern part of Queens. Brooklyn has pretty much everything under the sun. What your day to day activity is like has more to do with what neighborhood your in than anything else.

When I was in the academy we were given the chance to list the 2 boroughs we would prefer to work in. I got my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    In the vain of houses, which one is the hardest to get into as a probie? Anyone get to a squad? Valedictorian?
    Squads are SOC and not an option. It seems the unwritten rule is also if you promote from EMS you're going to an engine (to do EMS runs). I don't think anyone could name one specific house that is the "hardest" to get into. Any house with a reputation for going to a lot of fires is going to have a reasonably full roster and be hard to get placed into. Valedictorian, Fitness Award Winner and Squad Leaders generally get some ability to choose where they want to go.

Food on stove to a fire counts as OSW. All hands is a working fire.
    Any run can end up being an all hands. All hands just specifies that all hands are going to work on that box. I've been to all hands motor vehicle accidents, all hands manhole fires, etc. All Hands is probably the best indicator of how many fires a company goes to, since most fires are made all hands (or greater), but still, it's not limited to fires.

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    It's a big decision and I dont want to take it lightly or without some real consideration...
    What decision? Unless you're in very good shape, very smart, or a squad leader you're going to have no say. Pick the borough you think you'd really like to work in, or as ffwnt2b said think about the commute to. I thought about it a lot and I picked based on commuting concerns. Every firehouse is a great firehouse, and every borough has houses that are busy, houses that go to work a lot, and houses that aren't so busy, and they're all good for one reason or another. I picked the way I did because I knew there were many good potential spots in that borough that I could live with commuting to for at least the next 10 years. I love where I'm at, so it worked out just fine.

Don't worry so much about what house you're going to. You've still got a few weeks until you have to think about that.
    NycQ83 and coldblood92 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post

Don't worry so much about what house you're going to. You've still got a few weeks until you have to think about that.
    I see you say "a few weeks until you have to think about that"... Could you expand on that, why a few weeks? Should we have a good idea of which two boroughs we'd like to go to before the academy starts? or is this all not relevant until the end of the academy?

Hope my questions make sense lol

Forum Member

You have no say on what part of the city you go to until a few weeks left in the academy. If you aren't in the academy yet, why think about it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    I see you say "a few weeks until you have to think about that"... Could you expand on that, why a few weeks? Should we have a good idea of which two boroughs we'd like to go to before the academy starts? or is this all not relevant until the end of the academy?

Hope my questions make sense lol
    I think he thought cold blood was in the Academy. He's probably referring to those of us in the Academy now. We have 10 weeks left. Now off to bed for me

Forum Member

You have no say on what part of the city you go to until a few weeks left in the academy. If you aren't in the academy yet, why think about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    I think he thought cold blood was in the Academy. He's probably referring to those of us in the Academy now. We have 10 weeks left. Now off to bed for me
    Thats what I thought, just got a little confused. Thanks for clearing it up guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Yes, I get mixed up, and don't always pay close attention to who I'm responding to. It doesn't matter though. If you make it so far as to get asked "which two boroughs would you prefer?" then that's still all the choice you have. Just do what you have to to get into the academy, and do what you have to to pass. You have practically no say in where you get sent and that's probably for the best anyways. Like I said every house is good, so don't sweat the details so much. As far as when you find out where you will be going… It was just about the last thing we ever did at the academy, so for those of you currently there, don't expect to find out anytime before noon on the last day.

Forum Member

there is just no plan B for me, lol. I literally spend so much of my day with my mind on this i could be admitted

Forum Member

How long is the list good for? Anyone see it going as high as the 9,000s?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Engine2323 View Post
    I believe until June 2017, i know 2017 for sure, not sure about the month however..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Engine2323 View Post
    Not likely, but possible. If you refer to one of my earlier posts I did a very rough breakdown of how it could go. Figure they call about 1,000 candidates for each class (more for the later classes), 6 classes left before list expires, so roughly about 6,000 candidates. It could approach 9,000 under optimal circumstances (abnormally high amount of candidates who cannot prove residency, a high amount of drop outs, candidates no longer interested in the position, etc.)
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    Not likely, but possible. If you refer to one of my earlier posts I did a very rough breakdown of how it could go. Figure they call about 1,000 candidates for each class (more for the later classes), 6 classes left before list expires, so roughly about 6,000 candidates. It could approach 9,000 under optimal circumstances (abnormally high amount of candidates who cannot prove residency, a high amount of drop outs, candidates no longer interested in the position, etc.)
    I think there are 7 more classes from our list. Could definitely be possible. By then a very long time will have passed, so I'd imagine the ratio will be much higher than it is now..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    I think there are 7 more classes from our list. Could definitely be possible. By then a very long time will have passed, so I'd imagine the ratio will be much higher than it is now..
    Yeah I only counted 6 in case they did only one class in 2017, so assuming worse case scenario you know?
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    Yeah I only counted 6 in case they did only one class in 2017, so assuming worse case scenario you know?
    Ah ok.. Gotta be optimistic!!
    Patiently_Waiting likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    Ah ok.. Gotta be optimistic!!
    Yeah man it's all you can do!
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Thread Information