Like Tree10654Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    If you do 10 rds than stop working out and just smoke cigarettes til July because than you'll be bored in the academy lol but seriously just try it out see where your at
    I guess i can smoke cigarettes til July and ill be happily bored.
    10 rounds in 19:53

I got to 4 and I was like **** i think I might only have 8 in me...Pushed threw that **** and got all 10. Booyah lol.
    JDNY13 likes this.

Forum Member

I've been working like a maniac over the last week so I forgot to say this before: Seemed like a good turnout from your class to the FD PD race. I talked to a few of you guys, no idea who. It was a good time, hope you guys that went enjoyed it.

Any word on the week in the field?

Andů not to sound like a total dick but cramping? Are you ****ing kidding me? I understand **** happens when you're exercising, but the stairs at the medical and the stairs at CPAT are a few minutes of your life that decide whether or not you get on the job. I can't imagine failing either because of cramping. All I can think is how that would go at a job. "Cap I can't get to the fire floor, I've got a cramp in my leg."
    River6019, dem7191 and Ilovemymask like this.

Forum Member

Yeah it sounds bad if it would happen a fire etc. Just want to make it clear this isn't me being a pussy. I literally got cramps so bad that I got pulled to floor not by pain but by my actual hamstring muscle curling me to floor like a reverse squat and locking. If I were to fight it, I would probably rip it and it doesn't stop. Everything just starts cramping and you can see my muscles contracting and spazzing out by themselves. Like my legs actually lock up. I would imagine I was dehydrated and drinking too much caffeine for my crazy squat and deadlift routines. Hasn't happened recently. If it happened at a fire I would just fight it and not care about ripping something. I also drink much more water.

Forum Member

I think I might have been supplementing with too much vitamin D also. Seems to have stopped since I dropped it.

Forum Member

If that's the case that sounds like a somewhat serious medical condition.

Forum Member

Well if it keeps up I will go to a doctor about it.

Forum Member

Has anyone been getting phone calls from FDNY or DCAS. Something about a meeting in April I believe? I'm not currently home now and been told by family member that it's been a automated message. Does anyone know if this is of any significant importance?
    Test # 2000
    Score # 101
    List # 19XX
    Intake 3/5/14
    CPAT 3/27/14
    Medical 7/23/14

Forum Member

So when do we find out if residency credit is causing them to move faster?

Forum Member

Test score is 101 and list number is 21** and one of my references got their letter in the mail today 8)

Forum Member

No word on the week yet and the race was a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I've been working like a maniac over the last week so I forgot to say this before: Seemed like a good turnout from your class to the FD PD race. I talked to a few of you guys, no idea who. It was a good time, hope you guys that went enjoyed it.

Any word on the week in the field?

And… not to sound like a total dick but cramping? Are you ****ing kidding me? I understand **** happens when you're exercising, but the stairs at the medical and the stairs at CPAT are a few minutes of your life that decide whether or not you get on the job. I can't imagine failing either because of cramping. All I can think is how that would go at a job. "Cap I can't get to the fire floor, I've got a cramp in my leg."

Forum Member

I used to have cramps like that in the academy, no ****. But it happened to me after running usually during class. It's like my muscles got stiff after the run from sitting down after PT. I grabbed my fellow probies arm and squeezed for dear life biting my bottom lip. If went away and all was good. LOL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYgrad2012 View Post
    Has anyone been getting phone calls from FDNY or DCAS. Something about a meeting in April I believe? I'm not currently home now and been told by family member that it's been a automated message. Does anyone know if this is of any significant importance?
    They ask if you want to register for remedial CPAT training and to sign up for the Menter information session.

For guys that have passed the CPAT should we still register for extra CPAT prep? Are the instructors making candidates do other workouts besides CPAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    I guess i can smoke cigarettes til July and ill be happily bored.
    10 rounds in 19:53

I got to 4 and I was like **** i think I might only have 8 in me...Pushed threw that **** and got all 10. Booyah lol.
    Awesome work man really great job...however after I first read your post i immediately said bull**** I double checked the wod on crossfit.com because your score would have bn one of the best in the world lol I saw that the workout is 15 mins not 20 but still that's great work that's a real good go to work out I like to go to when my body is beat up or I'm just looking for a nice sweat. If you like the rower I'm a big fan of doing sprint intervals I.e. Row 250 m or 500 sprint rest 2 mins repeat x amount of rounds I'd say 10 if u do 250 5 if your doing 500....love the rower
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

Regardless you rowed 2500 meters and 250 push-ups in 20 minutes great work
    FD Exam # 2000
    Score- 102
    List- 10xx
    CPAT- Passed
    Psych- Passed
    Medical - Passed
    Retest for stairs -Passed
    Medically cleared for hire....."can't wait" -Bart Scott

Forum Member

When doing the pull-ups, do you have to hang completely straight or can your feet be tucked?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Speaking of pull ups, maybe someone can help me out. Around December I saw gradual increases in my pullups, went from 3 to maxing out about 9, I hit 10 twice. Was feeling good about myself but since then the amount of pull ups I can do has been decreasing to the point I'm maxing out about 4-5 pull ups. No weight gain, my pushups have slightly and slowly been increasing, lifiting wise status quo, but I'm struggling with my pull ups. I was dealing with a strained deltoid the end of December into early January but that has since healed and is fine and I never felt anything discomfort when doing pull ups. But that's around the time the I started to struggle with my pull ups, any advice ?

Also in the academy, how do they want you to do pull ups. I'm coming all the way down and getting my chin over the bar, none of that half way down and up to my head crap.

I know that in the academy they want you to come all the way down and get your chin over the bar. But that's how deltoid injuries can manifest. Hanging all the way down puts a ton of strain on the deltoids and to a lesser degree the elbows. When training I'd suggest going down about 90%. That way you don't place as much strain and injure yourself. This holds true for every concentric/eccentric exercise (bicep curls & overhead tricep extensions are a couple of examples) Never a good idea to completely extend, but in the academy you have no choice but to do it that way.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I'm just able to get 20-22 on the first set when I'm fresh, but don't get it twisted, bro. 12 pull ups is definitely improvement. Anyone who can get in the double digits in pull ups should be proud. I remember how excited I was when I finally got 10 in one shot lol. Keep it up!
    Haha thanks man, pyramids have been helping me increase my numbers I must say.

I remember some years ago when I first got a pull up bar in my house I couldn't even do one, and could barely do 2 chin ups. Thought it was impossible at the time. Funny how you look back and reflect on certain things.
    Last edited by Patiently_Waiting; 04-04-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    I know that in the academy they want you to come all the way down and get your chin over the bar. But that's how deltoid injuries can manifest. Hanging all the way down puts a ton of strain on the deltoids and to a lesser degree the elbows. When training I'd suggest going down about 90%. That way you don't place as much strain and injure yourself. This holds true for every concentric/eccentric exercise (bicep curls & overhead tricep extensions are a couple of examples) Never a good idea to completely extend, but in the academy you have no choice but to do it that way.
    damn really? i always have gone to a dead hang when doing pull ups, and i've been doing them consecutively for the last seven years or so. i'm starting to get irritation with some shoulder movements; actually, i thought it was maybe my clavicle or muscles in my neck but shoulder wear-and-tear makes a lot more sense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    damn really? i always have gone to a dead hang when doing pull ups, and i've been doing them consecutively for the last seven years or so. i'm starting to get irritation with some shoulder movements; actually, i thought it was maybe my clavicle or muscles in my neck but shoulder wear-and-tear makes a lot more sense.
    Yeah that could very well be it. The shoulders are pretty delicate. Have to take caution when doing any exercise that involves them. It's very easy to injure since it's an unstable part of the body. I feel some soreness sometimes even when I don't hang all the way down.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    I am not sure I agree with this but you seem to be knowledgeable. I was wonder if you could help trouble shoot a question for me. The day or two or three after deadlifting or squatting or pressing etc., if I were to bench or do a pressing movement my biceps kill on the eccentric portion. Its not delayed onset muscle sourness, I'm guessing its ligaments or something, however I don't know about ligaments or what they feel like. Its like I have to descend super super slow and its almost hard for me to hit the bottom of the lift, like I am going to rip something? I don't work biceps directly a haven't been doing pull-ups because I was chasing a 500 pound deadlift. I can avoid this by reducing frequency, just curious if you think its ligaments or what? I was thinking regular bicep work might help. I can handle the pain, just don't want to rip a bicep.
    My eccentric literally becomes super super slow and its tight, despite the weight being something that feels light enough to rep out.

On another note. I bought a P90X style chin up bar for my house and what waste, it doesnt fit in any of my doors with out ****ing them up and leaving dents. I am thinking of investing in a custom made angled dip station with a chine up bar, I know some one who makes this **** very high quality but reasonable cost.

and yet on another note (sorry I am caffeinated with my expresso coconut water)
    We really have to start working out together guys.
    Exam# 2000
    List# 6,xxx
    Score 98

Forum Member

Just got a missed call from the 718-618-4044 number. This number used to call and check up during thr CPAT process, but considering I'm done just wondering why they were calling, anybody else get a call from them recently

Forum Member

Anyone know how the medical appeals process works? You can pm me

Forum Member

Got a call from CID today, asking a question on one of my documents. Stated they were reviewing my packet for the July class. Needless to say I quickly refaxed the paper they were asking for. Anyone else get a call ?
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc1220 View Post
    Just got a missed call from the 718-618-4044 number. This number used to call and check up during thr CPAT process, but considering I'm done just wondering why they were calling, anybody else get a call from them recently
    they ask if you signed up for the Mentee information session. Business casual for that they said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankp88 View Post
    Awesome work man really great job...however after I first read your post i immediately said bull**** I double checked the wod on crossfit.com because your score would have bn one of the best in the world lol I saw that the workout is 15 mins not 20 but still that's great work that's a real good go to work out I like to go to when my body is beat up or I'm just looking for a nice sweat. If you like the rower I'm a big fan of doing sprint intervals I.e. Row 250 m or 500 sprint rest 2 mins repeat x amount of rounds I'd say 10 if u do 250 5 if your doing 500....love the rower
    **** you lol. Had me on that thing for 20. (I could get 8 in 15)
    Definitely not one of the best in the world and only my 2nd time on the rower. Lets be real most of those crossfit guys on the juice.
    Thanx for the workouts Ill pm you let you know how it goes

Thread Information