Like Tree9539Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I'm moving and just called DCAS to change me address. On the automated system it says it's going to fax me a form to mail over. I would definitely feel more comfortable that it was getting done if I got to talk to someone over the phone. Has anyone else gone through this recently?
    Just call both FDNY and DCAS. Much easier, and they're very friendly.

DCAS is 212.669.7407
    FDNY is 718.999.3369
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    Just call both FDNY and DCAS. Much easier, and they're very friendly.

DCAS is 212.669.7407
    FDNY is 718.999.3369
    Thanks PW. Much appreciated.
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Just be happy that you didn't have to deal with the heartbreak of 6019 and look at the prospect of being in the academy in your early 30's.
    Don't fret about being in your early 30's headed into the academy. I'm in the same boat and fully intend on being a monster at the Rock. The way I see it if you've been staying in shape the older guys probably have an advantage over our less "venerable" brothers. If any positive can be taken from the whole 6019 &^%$show and years in limbo is I have definitely become more patient.
    NycQ83, J0hnnyb0y, dwm326 and 2 others like this.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Yes my experience is good students usually have some leeway.

I'm getting my MA right now. Mostly because it's important to me but also because later in life you never know. But if I heard mid nov there would be a dec 1 class id pretty much expect my profs to be somewhat understanding

I know the cuny schools are pretty understanding because they're public schools. Also the other ones are so expensive just remind them you're a customer as much as you are a student.

YMMV
    Me too dude. What are you getting your MA in? People always look confused when I tell them I'm a grad student who wants to be a fireman. Drives me nuts haha.
    NycQ83 and test2000 like this.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 21xx
    Intake: 3/21/2014
    CPAT: 3/26/2014 PASSED

Forum Member

Am I the only one who is planning on moving out my parents house as soon as I get my run letter ?

Forum Member

I would wait until you're out of the academy. What if you rent an apartment in eastern queens and they put you in the northern Bronx or something.

Wait till you're out so you know your commute, pay, etc.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 7andchange View Post
    I'm moving and just called DCAS to change me address. On the automated system it says it's going to fax me a form to mail over. I would definitely feel more comfortable that it was getting done if I got to talk to someone over the phone. Has anyone else gone through this recently?
    DCAS faxed me a form that was all cut off and whatnot. I called up to get them to fax it again and they said to just mail them a letter, that I didn't need the form.

FDNY said to just mail a letter also.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    DCAS faxed me a form that was all cut off and whatnot. I called up to get them to fax it again and they said to just mail them a letter, that I didn't need the form.

I just spoke with DCAS @ (212) 669-7407 and was told that I could fax them a standard letter with my full name, social, new & old address to (212) 313-3133.

They told me I could call back within an hour or so to confirm the change.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Am I the only one who is planning on moving out my parents house as soon as I get my run letter ?
    yeah, i'd hold off on that if i were you.

Forum Member

BKopie,

I mailed in a letter, just make sure that you have them sign for it on delivery. However they will not send you anything back confirming that they have updated your address. I called up after about 2 months of not hearing anything and they had update my address.
    EXAM: 2000
    LIST #: 25XX
    Grade: 100

Forum Member

I just spoke with DCAS @ (212) 669-7407 and was told that I could fax them a standard letter with my full name, social, new & old address to (212) 313-3133.

See, they told me I couldn't fax it. Every person has a different story. Thanks, I'll call for an update and then fax it to that #.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubler33 View Post
    BKopie,

I mailed in a letter, just make sure that you have them sign for it on delivery. However they will not send you anything back confirming that they have updated your address. I called up after about 2 months of not hearing anything and they had update my address.
    Hmm, I just sent them a normal letter. Are you talking about DCAS or FDNY?

Forum Member

Interesting...ok that's good. Not sure why they couldn't just change it for you over the phone, that's what they did with me.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    Interesting...ok that's good. Not sure why they couldn't just change it for you over the phone, that's what they did with me.
    On phone with DCAS now, the guy sounds like he's gonna go postal soon.

He gave me a different fax # than dwm326 got.

He's currently checking if I got a CPAT notice (im 46xx so obviously not).

Forum Member

What are you calling them in regards of? Have you received a letter for cpat training or a packet?

Forum Member

The fax numbers are assigned to their e-mail. Similar to the way my office works. I wouldn't worry about it, just fax to the number they give you.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    What are you calling them in regards of? Have you received a letter for cpat training or a packet?
    Just to change my address in advance of receiving a packet.

The fax numbers are assigned to their e-mail. Similar to the way my office works. I wouldn't worry about it, just fax to the number they give you.
    OK. That makes sense. I'll just send it there and call back tomorrow.

Forum Member

Just to change my address in advance of receiving a packet.
    ah ok gotcha

Forum Member

The instructions to change your address with DCAS are very simple and they are on the joinfdny page on FB. Just mail them a simple letter and they will send you back a letter of confirmation. To change your address with FDNY I did it over the phone.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    I would wait until you're out of the academy. What if you rent an apartment in eastern queens and they put you in the northern Bronx or something.

Wait till you're out so you know your commute, pay, etc.
    You get to choose what borough you want to work in. Also, the pay is posted online. I need to move regardless for the academy because I am not commuting from LI. Also, for a young single dude with no kids like myself the starting pay is more than enough to live on my own, pay my bills and still have some left over lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    no, the 1 in 3 is just what seems to be the "trend" that usually takes places when putting together a class. People are only dropped or DQ'q because they failed something, didnt follow up on paper work, weren't interested, etc. No one is dropped to to keep the process 1 in 3.
    What's the traditional way they are allowed to use the 1 in 3 rule?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    The instructions to change your address with DCAS are very simple and they are on the joinfdny page on FB. Just mail them a simple letter and they will send you back a letter of confirmation. To change your address with FDNY I did it over the phone.
    Yeah, I mailed them a letter a few weeks ago and never heard anything. So I was calling to try and straighten it out. FDNY confirmed they received theirs though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    What's the traditional way they are allowed to use the 1 in 3 rule?
    I don't think it's a rule. I think it just happens to end up at that ratio when people's failures/dq's/etc are factored in.

Forum Member

I don't think it's a rule. I think it just happens to end up at that ratio when people's failures/dq's/etc are factored in.
    The 1:3 hiring ratio and the 1 in 3 rule are two different things. There are a number of fire departments around the country that use the 1 in 3 rule when hiring. Basically, for every 3 that are eligible to be appointed, 1 will get it. I've heard of Philadelphia doing this, but the FDNY does not.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

I thought thought it was civil service law. Something to the affect of they can look at three people to hire one. I don't know the details but I'm pretty sure NYPD does it as well. I am sure MM or some one with chime in with those big brains and break down the knowledge for us.

Forum Member

Historically, sometime after the war, veterans would return to the city and began seeking work. Civil service has always offered benefits to vets and their skill set is perceived, usually, as pretty applicable/transferable. In those days most men would take several of the available tests and go with the best job that was offered in the shortest amount of time.

There has also been instances where certain groups, neighborhoods or families have persuaded relatives to seek, or hold out for, a specific job. Some of those guys got on jobs because of hooks, while others accepted their own cost benefit logic and held out.

There are also a number of stories where guys tested for one job and did poorly and wound up taking another gig because it was/seemed less competitive.

Fast forward to today and the workforce has shifted largely into the private sector but the competition still remains high for jobs like firefighter and that results in what people generally use as the 1:3 hiring ratio logic.

Like it was previously said, it's not like they have three guys come in for an interview and one walks out with a job. The ratio is attributed to general attrition throughout the process.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Historically, sometime after the war, veterans would return to the city and began seeking work. Civil service has always offered benefits to vets and their skill set is perceived, usually, as pretty applicable/transferable. In those days most men would take several of the available tests and go with the best job that was offered in the shortest amount of time.

There has also been instances where certain groups, neighborhoods or families have persuaded relatives to seek, or hold out for, a specific job. Some of those guys got on jobs because of hooks, while others accepted their own cost benefit logic and held out.

There are also a number of stories where guys tested for one job and did poorly and wound up taking another gig because it was/seemed less competitive.

Fast forward to today and the workforce has shifted largely into the private sector but the competition still remains high for jobs like firefighter and that results in what people generally use as the 1:3 hiring ratio logic.

Like it was previously said, it's not like they have three guys come in for an interview and one walks out with a job. The ratio is attributed to general attrition throughout the process.
    In regards to NYC hiring, this is incorrect. The 1 in 3 as it applies to NYC civil service can be found in the second paragraph on the below link:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/wo...lservice.shtml

I really think you guys are confusing the 1:3 ratio for attrition with the FD for this similarly named rule. The ratio can change, i.e: 1:3.5, 1:4, etc. However, the 1 in 3 rule is a rule, not a ratio and has nothing to do with how many candidates on the list are deemed unqualified for medical, physical & background reasons.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Thread Information