Like Tree9581Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

I've never heard of anyone not getting on for any other reason besides being DQ'q for some specific reason. I don't really see them looking at 3 guys and picking the best guy out of the 3.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    In regards to NYC hiring, this is incorrect. The 1 in 3 as it applies to NYC civil service can be found in the second paragraph on the below link:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/wo...lservice.shtml

I really think you guys are confusing the 1:3 ratio for attrition with the FD for this similarly named rule. The ratio can change, i.e: 1:3.5, 1:4, etc. However, the 1 in 3 rule is a rule, not a ratio and has nothing to do with how many candidates on the list are deemed unqualified for medical, physical & background reasons.
    Couldn't they use the candidates they deem unqualified to be the 2 they eliminate? The rule seems to state top 3 scorers, not top 3 qualified (i.e. pass all checks/tests). That may be why the ratio always seems to be 1:3

Forum Member

there is no 1 out of 3 rule, can you imagine them doing that at the top of the list? Certainly NYPD does not use this Can you imagine the law suits the City would be inundated with? Each candidate gets his shot to pass all the processing steps and in the past it has worked out to about 1 out of every 3 or so candidates.

Forum Member

In regard to paragraph 2 of that link, they are referring to slots that are opening one at a time. In this scenario, the City/State would have to at the very least interview the next 3 highest scores for the open slot (they can't just call in the high score guy and give him the job). I just went through this process w state DHSES.

Forum Member

Just to be clear, I never said the City of New York utilizes the 1 in 3 rule for the FD. I was just simply pointing out the difference between the ratios we have referred to since the beginning of this forum regarding med, physical & background drops and the 1 in 3 rule that other departments within the city adhere to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    You get to choose what borough you want to work in.
    You don't get to choose where you want to go, they tell you to list what boroughs, and then they make the final decision. They do try and work with you, but they can place you where they need people the most.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFwnt2b View Post
    You don't get to choose where you want to go, they tell you to list what boroughs, and then they make the final decision. They do try and work with you, but they can place you where they need people the most.
    I know. Anyone house would be the best house for me. I just want to get on. From what I hear most people get placed in the first or second borough they choose.

Forum Member

I know. Anyone house would be the best house for me. I just want to get on. From what I hear most people get placed in the first or second borough they choose.
    While that's true, if your #1 and 2 are Brooklyn and Queens that could mean many, many different things.

To anyone that is living at home now: I'd generally suggest staying at home for the academy. It's much easier, and cheaper. The only downside is they will base part of their decision on where to assign you on your parent's address.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    While that's true, if your #1 and 2 are Brooklyn and Queens that could mean many, many different things.

To anyone that is living at home now: I'd generally suggest staying at home for the academy. It's much easier, and cheaper. The only downside is they will base part of their decision on where to assign you on your parent's address.
    This was probably going to be my one and two...(live in queens) what are the many things this means? I was thinking of having brooklyn as first choice
    Last edited by coldblood92; 04-10-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldblood92 View Post
    This was probably going to be my one and two...(live in queens) what are the many things this means? I was thinking of having brooklyn as first choice
    Every borough is huge and the options for where you could be sent in each are incredibly varied.

Forum Member

So I got a call earlier today as my paperwork is under final review.

So far the only issue was they said I was missing proof of residency from June 24-July 1. 7 days. So I sent them the next months statement which covered those 7 days.

But talk about picky.
    NycQ83 and JDNY13 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jky9xx View Post
    So I got a call earlier today as my paperwork is under final review.

So far the only issue was they said I was missing proof of residency from June 24-July 1. 7 days. So I sent them the next months statement which covered those 7 days.

But talk about picky.
    list number? I hope its 9xx like your name

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing. My parents live in LI so if I choose queens they most likely place me in eastern queens but I'd rather go to the higher risk neighborhoods in western queens. Therefore, I'd probably won't choose queens if I remain in my parents house and go with Manhattan or Brooklyn.

Forum Member

Yes I'm low 900's

Forum Member

You get to choose what borough you want to work in. Also, the pay is posted online. I need to move regardless for the academy because I am not commuting from LI. Also, for a young single dude with no kids like myself the starting pay is more than enough to live on my own, pay my bills and still have some left over lol.
    Im planning on moving to Long Beach, NY when I get in.. You think this is a bad idea?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    Im planning on moving to Long Beach, NY when I get in.. You think this is a bad idea?
    At times Nassau expressway can get a little backed up but Long Beach is awesome. If you don't mind the little extra driving it's a great place to live.

Forum Member

Every borough is huge and the options for where you could be sent in each are incredibly varied.
    As a former employee of the US Postal Service I can surely attest to that. I've worked all over Brooklyn, and every neighborhood has both subtle and significant differences. Some neighborhoods vary so much you question whether they're part of the same borough.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    I moved from Queens to Long Beach a few months ago and it is really nice (4 hours of commuting each day not so much). But my plan was always to move back to Astoria right before academy. To be able to bike to the Rock every day in 10 minutes is just too awesome.
    List # 12XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I moved from Queens to Long Beach a few months ago and it is really nice (4 hours of commuting each day not so much). But my plan was always to move back to Astoria right before academy. To be able to bike to the Rock every day in 10 minutes is just too awesome.
    Too bad I'm in the 3600's, I'm planning on biking to the academy as well.
    Kngnothen likes this.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    When did you move to long beach ? Me and my girls just left, with her commute and the academy coming and the commute I would be facing we just figured it would be best to move back to queens. Plus my car wouldn't be able to handle that daily commute but the plan is to move back next year, we loved it there.

Forum Member

staying in astoria to make my commute easier. Wish I could move back home to save money but the traveling would kill me
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Forum Member

I'd love to be in long beach but I would have to have a house on the beach and a commute that's not 4 hours.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thirdtimesacharm View Post
    staying in astoria to make my commute easier. Wish I could move back home to save money but the traveling would kill me
    I'm in the middle of Staten Island, the commute to the Rock will be BRUTAL lol.
    FDNY Exam 2000
    List # 46XX

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    I'm in the middle of Staten Island, the commute to the Rock will be BRUTAL lol.
    Ya that commute will be bad, i used to live in bay ridge and commute to queens everyday. It drove me nuts
    2043 - 57XX
    6019 - 32XX
    2000 - 7XX

Forum Member

I was thinking the same thing. My parents live in LI so if I choose queens they most likely place me in eastern queens but I'd rather go to the higher risk neighborhoods in western queens. Therefore, I'd probably won't choose queens if I remain in my parents house and go with Manhattan or Brooklyn.
    A lot of companies in eastern Queens do a good amount of work. Jamaica isn't exactly the nicest part of the city, ya know?

Thread Information