Like Tree9617Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #20551
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Earlier runs? I thought the run was a one shot deal. Fail and you're out. No?
    It is. Say they schedule 350 for the run. 30 don't show, 20 fail, and 10 pass but decline the academy for personal reasons. That would leave 290 new probies and 30 open spots that they'd have to fill. They'll keep calling people for the run until they have 320.

  2. #20552
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Can't imagine getting a letter for the run and not showing up. Just can't.

  3. #20553
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,089

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Can't imagine getting a letter for the run and not showing up. Just can't.
    A former coworker and friend passed the run and then no call/no showed the orientation day, thus taking a spot from someone else (they did not backfill his spot). He wanted to keep his options open the whole way through, but it took finally getting to the point of having to commit for him to realize it's not his dream job. Not everybody is going to feel as strongly as you do about it.

  4. #20554
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    Yea it's fail and your out. He's referring to the next wave of runners would be to fill The void of the failures
    The run itself is not fail and you're out. If you go and do the run but say you do it in 14:00 minutes, you are sent same day to HQ to re-do the 8 minutes on the stairs to check your aerobic capacity. If you pass that, then you're in. But VERY few people fail the run and then go on to pass the 8 mins on stairs same day. This is all straight from Lt. Casiola at the rock. He told everyone this at my Mentee info session.

  5. #20555
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    380

    Default

    of course. i was thinking someone who walked to their mailbox, read the letter, and then did nothing. the idea of the job being great for someone is not the same as the job being great for someone. I accept that.
    Exam 2000
    score 100
    #24xx

    not an expert, just reading these forums since 2043

  6. #20556
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OAK View Post
    I'm down, let me know when. I'll meet u at FHHS.
    Bro what happens at the track stays at the track. Don't come on here and tell everyone how bad my cardio is. Lol
    JDNY13 likes this.

  7. #20557
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    of course. i was thinking someone who walked to their mailbox, read the letter, and then did nothing. the idea of the job being great for someone is not the same as the job being great for someone. I accept that.
    Some people will have a job already and are busy playing video games. Their mothers stopped signing them up for dates and getting their paper work for them.

  8. #20558
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Some people will have a job already and are busy playing video games. Their mothers stopped signing them up for dates and getting their paper work for them.
    Why waste anyone's time when so many dudes out there commit all their time to getting this job... dont understand it.. give me an inch and im taking a mile! thats why im gettin ready early- trying to join fdny ems then im ganna crush that exam in 2015/2016 and get in that first academy!

  9. #20559
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    380

    Default

    Hey anyone wanna call CID and ask them to send more packets. I have a little more time this week to fill out a stack of paperwork so yea that really works for me.

  10. #20560
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Britches View Post
    The run itself is not fail and you're out. If you go and do the run but say you do it in 14:00 minutes, you are sent same day to HQ to re-do the 8 minutes on the stairs to check your aerobic capacity. If you pass that, then you're in. But VERY few people fail the run and then go on to pass the 8 mins on stairs same day. This is all straight from Lt. Casiola at the rock. He told everyone this at my Mentee info session.
    Its easy to do 8 min on the stairs and afterward run 1.5 miles. Sometime this week im gonna see how it feels to do it the opposite.

  11. #20561
    Forum Member
    Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Then again it wouldnt make sense even trying knowing that i can easily do 1.5 miles. I guess if u cant run the 1.5 in time then u def wouldnt be able to do stairs afterward. So it makes sense that most who fail the run wont be able to do that.

  12. #20562
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Astoria
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Any tips on rebuilding strength after a pinched nerve?

    I had a pinched nerve back in January and wasn't able to do much upper-body training until late-March. But I've noticed a sharp decrease in my strength on my right side. Primarily my forearm and grip strength have suffered. My problem lies mostly in the pull-up department. While I was never a pull-up stud, I could normally do 12-15 for a Marine Corps PFT (physical fitness test). I'm legit struggling to do 1 right now. My left side will do about 90% of the pulling and I feel like I have 0 strength in my right.

    Any ideas/suggestions?
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

  13. #20563
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    78

    Default

    2 things:

    Does anyone have any inkling when the next round of packets will go out? I imagine its around every 6 months to mirror the hiring process. Not sure when the last round went out

    2nd is just a comment that i believe the numbers going in to this July class will reach around 1700, not the 1400 number being talked about the last few days.
    Medic2312 likes this.

  14. #20564
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwm326 View Post
    Any tips on rebuilding strength after a pinched nerve?

    I had a pinched nerve back in January and wasn't able to do much upper-body training until late-March. But I've noticed a sharp decrease in my strength on my right side. Primarily my forearm and grip strength have suffered. My problem lies mostly in the pull-up department. While I was never a pull-up stud, I could normally do 12-15 for a Marine Corps PFT (physical fitness test). I'm legit struggling to do 1 right now. My left side will do about 90% of the pulling and I feel like I have 0 strength in my right.

    Any ideas/suggestions?
    just do pull ups kid! you'll get that endurance back as the weeks go by. and don't even look at a lat-pulldown or rowing machine lol.
    dwm326 likes this.

  15. #20565
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    2 things:

    Does anyone have any inkling when the next round of packets will go out? I imagine its around every 6 months to mirror the hiring process. Not sure when the last round went out

    2nd is just a comment that i believe the numbers going in to this July class will reach around 1700, not the 1400 number being talked about the last few days.
    I like your optimistic projection. They would have to send out quite a few more psych and medical notifications in a rather short period of time for that to occur though. As it is now I hope for this summer but realistically speaking as a list # in the high 1500's I'm thinking this January class is more likely. It's all speculation now though, right?. I'm just trying to focus on the things I can effect i.e. Physical conditioning, studying the probie guide. Plus still looking for running buddies in the BK area. I try to get in about 20-25 miles a week. Hit me up. Keep up the training all.

  16. #20566
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    I like your optimistic projection. They would have to send out quite a few more psych and medical notifications in a rather short period of time for that to occur though. As it is now I hope for this summer but realistically speaking as a list # in the high 1500's I'm thinking this January class is more likely. It's all speculation now though, right?. I'm just trying to focus on the things I can effect i.e. Physical conditioning, studying the probie guide. Plus still looking for running buddies in the BK area. I try to get in about 20-25 miles a week. Hit me up. Keep up the training all.
    They really have another 2 full months to do that. Have you taken either psych or medical? Im just suggesting that because the current class reached around 700 and that included EMS and Priority Hires. The July class will be primarily if not completely OC. I understand there are probably a bunch of guys in that 1-700 range who deferred but still I think theyd reach higher than 1400.

  17. #20567
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Does anyone remember what list number they reached for folks that completed the whole process for the last class? Not who was called for the run but how high up for folks that were ready to be called for it if need be.

  18. #20568
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    They really have another 2 full months to do that. Have you taken either psych or medical? Im just suggesting that because the current class reached around 700 and that included EMS and Priority Hires. The July class will be primarily if not completely OC. I understand there are probably a bunch of guys in that 1-700 range who deferred but still I think theyd reach higher than 1400.
    I have not taken either as of yet. I did speak with investigator this previous week and she said that all my paper work appeared to be in order, transcripts, DD214's, proofs of residence and the like... We shall all soon see I suppose.

  19. #20569
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Astoria
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyb0y View Post
    just do pull ups kid! you'll get that endurance back as the weeks go by. and don't even look at a lat-pulldown or rowing machine lol.
    I hope so, it's discouraging as f*ck when you know you're capable of something and an injury sidelines you. I won't lie, I've been hitting the lat pulldown machine to make myself feel better.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

  20. #20570
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Slow days like this there's nothing to do but count the days until academy.

    Days until academy: 75

    Actual business days: 33 (I have a ton of vaca days left to burn)

    I'm so frikking excited.
    vekdoggs75, J0hnnyb0y and JDNY13 like this.
    List # 12XX

  21. #20571
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    380

    Default

    River you are in an enviable position. Stay positive. 33 business days is nothing
    River6019 likes this.

  22. #20572
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    River you are in an enviable position. Stay positive. 33 business days is nothing
    Oh I know how lucky I am. I remember when I was counting YEARS till academy haha.
    NycQ83, J0hnnyb0y and dwm326 like this.
    List # 12XX

  23. #20573
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    Slow days like this there's nothing to do but count the days until academy.

    Days until academy: 75

    Actual business days: 33 (I have a ton of vaca days left to burn)

    I'm so frikking excited.
    Not counting vacation days, tomorrow is exactly 50 days left for me. Stupid work gets in the way of my studying though.
    River6019 likes this.

  24. #20574
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    Not counting vacation days, tomorrow is exactly 50 days left for me. Stupid work gets in the way of my studying though.
    Seems like only yesterday Manhattan Medic was counting down his EMS tours till academy haha. How time flies.
    NycQ83 and dem7191 like this.
    List # 12XX

  25. #20575
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    221

    Default

    If I happen to make it into this class I only have about 10 weeks left of working in that miserable place. Seven when I factor in my 3 weeks vacation. God I hope my number is reached. I went to the Mentor Information Session last night and spoke with Lt. Cacciola about some fitness related stuff. When he asked me my list number he said that I had a pretty good shot at making this class. Take that for what it's worth.
    Exam 6019
    List #11**

    Exam 2000
    List #14**

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 6 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 4 guests)

  1. New Flyer,
  2. snoozer1989

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register